• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

Is Sora invincible?

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.

PhantomSoD

After watching a montage of reaction command events in KH2, I started to notice how gruesome some of the crap that happens to Sora when you mess up on those.

Kingdom Hearts 2 Final Mix - Reaction Command Exhibition [Special] HD - YouTube

Basically, he gets chomped on and thrown around by both the hydra and cerberus, shot in the face by Barbosa, hit in the face by a giant sharp spinning chandelier, stomped on by some giant island creature(pride lands) and in 3D tyranto rex literally impales him with its teeth and chomps hard a few times before throwing him halfway across the stage. Yet, he's not dead or even has a scar on him. So I'm wondering what exactly is up with his body where that crap doesn't just destroy him. Does being a keyblade weilder/magic user automatically give the body more endurance or what? I know this isn't really cannon. its just something that caught my eye, and it brings up the question of what makes up their anatomy in the KH universe. It can't be the flesh and blood as we know it or these things would definitely to more permanent damage.

Chaser

Not KHI Site Staff
Staff member
Awards
He's a video game protagonist. Nearly all video game protagonists are invincible in certain situations.

Ruran

Flesh by mother, soul by father
Awards
Vidya gaem logick.

The Keyblade enhances Sora's...everything. Which goes for everyone else wielding a Keyblade too, all the wielders endure some pretty nasty stuff that would maim, if not, out right kill most people. I can't help but flinch a little on the inside when ever I see Roxas's boss battle with Twilight Thorn. They don't shy away from showing him hit the ground from several stories high then bounce. Most people's insides would be tapioca. Even if he can endure it I can imagine he has to be a little soar and is just ignoring it because of the adrenaline and the giant fuck off monster trying to crucify him. Same thing with Sora and co.

Zettaflare

Shibuya
Awards
Before kh ddd, i used to think that. It was kind of shocking seeing him in such a vulnerable position at the climax of kh ddd

ajmrowland

Keyblade Master
Awards
yeah, dont trust gameplay to determine a characters vincibility or invincibility. Health bars and shit dont really mean much when the cutscene immediately after the boss says somehow he had a hard time beating him.

That said, I wasnt entirely shocked to see sora being vulnerable in DDD as in some form or another, he's shown he's not invincible. Just not in such an extreme way.

PhantomSoD

I knew that most of the crap happening wasn't entirely cannon. but what this stuff made me think about was what exactly makes their bodies up. between the constant brutal beatdowns and the weird body creation that is inevitably going to happen (bringing back Roxas, Namine, Xion) where will their bodies come from. Roxas won't have Sora's to run around with and Sora/Ven can't come together and make him a flesh and blood body(according to my C in health class anyway :p). Not to mention Namine never had a body to begin with and who knows what happened to MX/ME bodies when they "died". So basically my thread name was a little misleading. Really what I'm getting at is whether or not their bodies are made of something more resilient and not as "physical" as flesh and blood.

Chaser

Not KHI Site Staff
Staff member
Awards
Probably. I mean how many people have stabbed themselves in the chest with a Keyblade and managed to still come back as a human.

Ruran

Awards
Bodies in the KHverse don't seem to be very complected per say, they seem to be made up of elements, primarily light, and in some cases darkness like Vanitas and Xion is made out of memories. So in a way I suppose people are made of more resilient stuff than in the real world since they appear to be made out of elements that form them because...mmmmmagic.

KeyofEvil'sBane

Space Duck
Termina, wondering why everyone looks familiiar
I think this is a somewhat baseless argument, seeing as cartoon characters have been known to take plenty of abuse, think old timey pianos falling, anvils falling, safes falling (a lot of heavy stuff falling on them actually), cut to ribbons, etc. Seeing as KH is a Disney franchise including some of the characters known for that sort of slapstick resiliency, I think we are looking a bit too far into this. Or we can just assume Sora is made out of whatever Mickey, Donald, and Goofy are made of that allows them to survive all their past shenanigans

Dreaded_Desire62

bronze member
Awards
Website
gmail.com
Yeah, how can Sora basically not be maimed, especially since he pierced a keyblade into his chest prior to be turned into a Shadow Heartless? I mean, Braig lost his eye and got a horrendous scar when Terra shot darkness out of his keyblade at Braig.

kupo1121

We are Moogle! Hear us...kupo?
Awards
Probably. I mean how many people have stabbed themselves in the chest with a Keyblade and managed to still come back as a human.

Maleficent took it like a champ haha xD

I think this is a somewhat baseless argument, seeing as cartoon characters have been known to take plenty of abuse, think old timey pianos falling, anvils falling, safes falling (a lot of heavy stuff falling on them actually), cut to ribbons, etc.

Although it is true that cartoon characters don't really apply, I think it varies on a cartoon to cartoon basis. I mean, sure, most cartoons are really out there, but Disney films tend to not be so crazy. I mean, in terms of Disney villains from their actual movies, they died in relatively reasonable ways (Ursula impaled, Maleficent through the heart, Clayton hung, etc.) that anyone would die to so it depends.

However, I don't think it is just Sora that is invincible, I mean, admire the keyblade in and of itself. The Kingdom Key is a large, blunt object. Each boss in the game must get hit at least 30 times with a combo which consists of 3 hits before they die. That is 90 strikes in the head or torso by a large, blunt object. Would you be able to take that before knocking out? I doubt it...

SoraroS

Awards

When he stabbed himself he reached the part of Ventus heart that Ventus gave him in BBS...That's when a nobody was created(Roxas) thats why Roxas looks like Ventus... It has nothing to do with Sora's endurance...

Dreaded_Desire62

bronze member
Awards
Website
gmail.com
When he stabbed himself he reached the part of Ventus heart that Ventus gave him in BBS...That's when a nobody was created(Roxas) thats why Roxas looks like Ventus... It has nothing to do with Sora's endurance...

Yeah, but still. What would have happened if Sora remained a Heartless? Sure, Roxas would have been created. But, would he be the Roxas we know today? I don't know. I mean, Sora released three hearts from his chest in KH; Kairi's, Ventus' and his own. Kairi was able to give Sora back his heart and restore him back to his human form, but Ventus' heart was lost. If Sora had been reduced to Heartless form and Kairi wouldn't have saved him, do you think it would have resulted in possibly three Nobodies? Namine, Roxas and possibly a Nobody for Ventus, I don't know. I just think that Ventus' heart became a substitute after Kairi restored Sora back to his original form.

Ruran

Awards
Yeah, but still. What would have happened if Sora remained a Heartless? Sure, Roxas would have been created. But, would he be the Roxas we know today? I don't know. I mean, Sora released three hearts from his chest in KH; Kairi's, Ventus' and his own. Kairi was able to give Sora back his heart and restore him back to his human form, but Ventus' heart was lost. If Sora had been reduced to Heartless form and Kairi wouldn't have saved him, do you think it would have resulted in possibly three Nobodies? Namine, Roxas and possibly a Nobody for Ventus, I don't know. I just think that Ventus' heart became a substitute after Kairi restored Sora back to his original form.

The given reason for Roxas having amnesia was that Sora turned back into a human too quickly which resulted in none of his memories being transferred over to Roxas as they should have. Had Sora remained a Heartless, Roxas would have never been his own person and been essentially the exact same person as Sora sans a Heart, may not have ever looked like Ven, and it goes without saying that things would have gone very differently. Although Ven's heart never got released, it stayed nice and tucked away in Sora's body, that's why Roxas looks like Ven among other things.

Sephiroth0812

Guardian of Light
Awards

If Sora had remained a Heartless he would probably not have been able to keep his sense of self for long and his memories would have started to transfer to Roxas, resulting in him not developing his own, independent sense of self that basically makes him his own entity different from Sora.

Sora also released only two hearts, his own and Kairi's. Ventus' heart wasn't released because it's wounded and asleep. Ven's heart remained within Sora's old body, causing Roxas to look like Ven's identical twin.
Therefore Ventus also cannot have a Nobody.

Dreaded_Desire62

bronze member
Awards
Website
gmail.com
If Sora had remained a Heartless he would probably not have been able to keep his sense of self for long and his memories would have started to transfer to Roxas, resulting in him not developing his own, independent sense of self that basically makes him his own entity different from Sora.

Sora also released only two hearts, his own and Kairi's. Ventus' heart wasn't released because it's wounded and asleep. Ven's heart remained within Sora's old body, causing Roxas to look like Ven's identical twin.

I still get confused by this, but oh well. But, back to topic. I've heard in cartoons, well in the Fairly Oddparents Timmy said, "Nothing bad ever happens to the hero!" I don't think that's true with the things that's happened to Sora in the game. I mean, he stabbed himself with a keyblade, he's battled giant bosses, which have caused him to fall from many heights, shot in the face and even being held hostage as Riku as to come and save him during the Xemnas final boss fight in KH2.

kupo1121

We are Moogle! Hear us...kupo?
Awards

That and he would have gotten rocked by Donald Thunder lol xP

I still get confused by this, but oh well. But, back to topic. I've heard in cartoons, well in the Fairly Oddparents Timmy said, "Nothing bad ever happens to the hero!" I don't think that's true with the things that's happened to Sora in the game.

Fairly Odd Parents and Kingdom Hearts and 2 vastly different properties held by 2 companies that aren't even related so I'm not sure you can compared what one character says to characters in other properties.

ajmrowland

Keyblade Master
Awards
Maleficent took it like a champ haha xD

Although it is true that cartoon characters don't really apply, I think it varies on a cartoon to cartoon basis. I mean, sure, most cartoons are really out there, but Disney films tend to not be so crazy. I mean, in terms of Disney villains from their actual movies, they died in relatively reasonable ways (Ursula impaled, Maleficent through the heart, Clayton hung, etc.) that anyone would die to so it depends.
And note that they're all human. anything that dies in Disney movies is of somewhat realistic origin as opposed to the Mouse.

However, I don't think it is just Sora that is invincible, I mean, admire the keyblade in and of itself. The Kingdom Key is a large, blunt object. Each boss in the game must get hit at least 30 times with a combo which consists of 3 hits before they die. That is 90 strikes in the head or torso by a large, blunt object. Would you be able to take that before knocking out? I doubt it...
This is not a very logical conclusion. as I and some others have pointed out, the number of hits the characters take in game is not really canon. In Cutscenes, with or without an accompanying battle it's either slash n'block or a character is weakened by as little as one hit. Just like in a movie or TV show, and let's face it Square doesnt normally give a story explanation for anything except that absolute biggest gameplay elements and in KH1 and BBS, there were in-character references to gummi controls and save points.

Bodies in the KHverse don't seem to be very complected per say, they seem to be made up of elements, primarily light, and in some cases darkness like Vanitas and Xion is made out of memories. So in a way I suppose people are made of more resilient stuff than in the real world since they appear to be made out of elements that form them because...mmmmmagic.

Ultimately what I've thought about is this quite largely *in addition to* all the stuff we know about the Human body. The series tries to deal with existence, adding four simple concepts of what makes a human or a living thing to what we already know. Really, the only things about the heart, soul, body and mind as portrayed in KH is that, however absurd as it may seem, they are these fantastical elements to life that are somehow forever beyond our ability to grasp aside from a few impulses and wires.

That and he would have gotten rocked by Donald Thunder lol xP

Fairly Odd Parents and Kingdom Hearts and 2 vastly different properties held by 2 companies that aren't even related so I'm not sure you can compared what one character says to characters in other properties.

to be fair, timmy was probably referring to most (Nickelodeon) children's entertainment and a much simpler type of game. Did anything bad ever happen to Mario or Sonic?

Last edited:

PhantomSoD

Wait, if Ven's heart wasn't released into Roxas' body, and Sora was a heartless throughout KH2(the part that retained his original heart) then how was Roxas able to use a keyblade so early in Days? I know he eventually grew his own heart towards the end. But without utilizing Ven's, were did his keyblade come from at the beginning of days. Unless he was just able to take Sora's while he was asleep

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back