• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

Tech ► Govt/Corp and Your Rights - ACTA Dead in EU!

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.

Cosmic+Amarna

Phantom Gigaplex
Re: CISPA - SOPA 'security' edition

That is pretty disturbing, also too that the people who are in charge of the aspects of our lives so easily and carelessly ignore their people. Damn the shadow govy.

Taylor

Gold Member
Awards
Re: CISPA - SOPA 'security' edition

hopefully the obama administration ends this. if not, the supreme court has ALWAYS been the court of bros, and i doubt they'll look at this and be like "yeah sure that's cool"

Gram

Banned
Awards
Re: CISPA - Latest Govt-Corp Screw Over Of Your Rights

212879.gif
well that just killed my good mood.....

King Sora X

Legendary Member
Awards

So, I'm probably out of the loop, but how exactly is this bad BAD? I understand it's not really the best thing to happen to us, but it couldn't be worse than what would've happened with SOPA, right?

Orion

Prepared To Die
Awards

So, I'm probably out of the loop, but how exactly is this bad BAD? I understand it's not really the best thing to happen to us, but it couldn't be worse than what would've happened with SOPA, right?
SOPA was just about copyright infringement and shutting down infringing websites. This involves the acquisition and usage of your personal details for theoretically anything provided it is shared based upon suspicions of cybersecurity threats, but once it's been shared between companies they don't have to use it for cybersecurity. One thing it opens up is the possibility for cybersecurity and copyright-holding companies to work together to take down websites and people with the information initially provided for the supposed sake of security, even though there's nothing of the sort happening afterwards.

Basically, so long as one person says something is a cybersecurity threat, they can hand those details onto anyone, and those people can do whatever they want with that information. Sell if off and make a profit on it, spy on your browsing habits, run the risk of it being leaked or even hacked, and more.

Reading the related articles on the techdirt link helps.

Last edited:

Sean

Ehhhhhh
Awards

That's all I needed to see.

Orion

Prepared To Die
Awards

BBC News - Cyber-security bill Cispa passes US House

it seems that Obama threatens to veto it if he even sees it.

at least he's looking out for us.
Probably not. He said he'd veto NDAA 2011/12, but went and signed it anyway, even admitted on camera that he didn't like the elements within it. He could rejected it and then waited till we got something that didn't screw over suspects and normal people, but instead he went ahead and signed it because it was a way to increase the government's national and international power. CISPA will do the exact same, and moreso than ever. This is probably just Obama - like before - saying he'll veto it to have people favour him a bit more, but 'grudgingly' sign it anyway when the time comes.

Cyborg009

Bot-Buster
Awards

lets hope that isn't the case now.

Taylor

Gold Member
Awards

Probably not. He said he'd veto NDAA 2011/12, but went and signed it anyway, even admitted on camera that he didn't like the elements within it. He could rejected it and then waited till we got something that didn't screw over suspects and normal people, but instead he went ahead and signed it because it was a way to increase the government's national and international power. CISPA will do the exact same, and moreso than ever. This is probably just Obama - like before - saying he'll veto it to have people favour him a bit more, but 'grudgingly' sign it anyway when the time comes.

Um, he opposed NDAA until a quick amendment was made to it that gave him a lot more power as a President. Up until then, he openly opposed it.

Orion

Prepared To Die
Awards

turning this into a general corporation/government screwing you over via technology/the internet thread

FBI: We need wiretap-ready Web sites - now | Security & Privacy - CNET News

The FBI is asking Internet companies not to oppose a controversial proposal that would require firms, including Microsoft, Facebook, Yahoo, and Google, to build in backdoors for government surveillance.
Okay, so the argument can be made that websites and VOIP services aren't being forced to wiretap their customers, but I see this as being disastrous. Look at in the real physical world - most phone wiretapping requires a physical presence and some kind of suspicion to justify the action, but we've seen time and again how flimsy a thing such suspicion can be. This being on the web just makes it even easier. When surveillance can be applied so cheaply, what's to stop suspicion-justifications from going down to practically nothing? People who visit 4chan get their activities auto-tapped because Anonymous can be destructive on the online world?

Also by virtues of there being backdoors purposefully built into the site immediately makes it much easier for theoretically anyone to get into that site, which can of course (call me paranoid if you must) include hackers whose intentions can be much less than pure.

Last edited:

Orion

Prepared To Die
Awards
Re: Government-corporation stripping of privacy and rights general thread

Not if hackers get in there first c:

Cosmic+Amarna

Phantom Gigaplex

Shady biz I tell ya, I don't like the smell of it.

Last edited:

Sean

Ehhhhhh
Awards

Sooo...this shit's done with once and for all.

Source

5e1c6a7c_scaled.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back