• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

ghosts?

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.

Marluxia

I believe in ghosts, but have never had an experience.But...my mom told me that when I was a baby, she thought I was seeing my grandfather(my dads father) who had recently died.Now I'll tell you what she told me.When I was a baby we would go to my grandparents house(my dads parents) frequently, my grandfather would always be sitting in his chair when we came in their house.I would always say "Hey, pop Luther"(Luther was my grandpas name) when I came in.Sadly he died at some point after I turned two, soon after his funeral we began visiting their house again and even though he was gone I kept saying "Hey, pop Luther" like I always did when he was alive.My mom and grandma imediately noticed, they would see me at his chair and talking to him as if he were there(I made ryhm haha) and they were thinking I was seeing him and they would ask me who I was talking to and I would say "pop Luther".After awhile I no longer did it, but I miss him, the real sad part is not knowing him growing up:cry:, and I tear up when I think of him sometimes, I feel that if he were alive while growing up we would have been close.

Snow

Stain me Red with Blood
Thank God, some logical, non-superstitious people in this thread.

With this statement, you pretty much automatically brand all Chinese people as illogical. As well as our ancestors. At least be more sensitive. Us Chinese have so much in relation to ghosts in our culture, in particular the one month long Hungry Ghost Festival. It's just unreasonable to throw down old superstition, since they stem from reasons in the past. Our ancestors had a reason to believe, and I trust in their judgement of several centuries.

Orion

Prepared To Die
Awards
Back when that all started several centuries ago, when everyone was far less educated on average than people today :\

Snow

Stain me Red with Blood
Back when that all started several centuries ago, when everyone was far less educated on average than people today :\

Even so, why did people continue to believe in this?

This is basically going to lead to something like 'why do people continue to believe in heaven when we are more educated', so let's just stop it here.

Orion

Prepared To Die
Awards
Even so, why did people continue to believe in this?

This is basically going to lead to something like 'why do people continue to believe in heaven when we are more educated', so let's just stop it here.

Because it's easy to keep believing in something and not change your beliefs, and it's also nice to have an extra few public holidays/get-togethers.

Macabre

Gold Member
I thought it would be appropriate to post a Ghostbusters tagline on this thread.

SilverJ-17

spams bombs, not posts
Awards
Well I see spirits all the time...... they dont really scare but some can be mean.

I see dead people. Sorry, but I just had to it, old joke or not.

∞;4423650 said:
No and no. Because there has yet to be scientifically-confirmed proof of 'ghosts', the human mind is incredibly prone to seeing what it wants to see/making something look like something else entirely, and the fact that the consciousness of a person could somehow maintain itself and an appearance, however ethereal, seems downright impossible.

I however do believe it ghosts. Honestly, I believe there are some things that are just virtually impossible to scientifically confirm or we just don't have the technology to understand yet and ghosts are probably one of them. I mean, we still know so little about space, like Neutrinos and what not, so why not ghosts? Also, explain why a lot of the sightings have been people they might of never met, seen a picture of, or even heard of and yet, the person they saw perfectly or nearly perfectly matched up with real person, who was once alive? I honestly think someone's consciousness can somehow maintain itself and appearance, but not everyone's does, hence why we don't see them all often. I also believe that some people can be susceptible to apparitions than others and no, it's not necessarily because they want to or intend to. It just happens.

Actually, now that I'm thinking about it, what about the little orbs of light and coldness? Ehh.. nvm.. those could be illusions, but I don't think a spirit has to maintain it's appearance to be there, like with poltergeists.

I still believe that though I've never saw one, that ghosts do have a slight chance of existing. I won't say I'm a full believer, just that I see a chance of them existing.

Orion

Prepared To Die
Awards
I however do believe it ghosts. Honestly, I believe there are some things that are just virtually impossible to scientifically confirm or we just don't have the technology to understand yet and ghosts are probably one of them. I mean, we still know so little about space, like Neutrinos and what not, so why not ghosts? Also, explain why a lot of the sightings have been people they might of never met, seen a picture of, or even heard of and yet, the person they saw perfectly or nearly perfectly matched up with real person, who was once alive? I honestly think someone's consciousness can somehow maintain itself and appearance, but not everyone's does, hence why we don't see them all often. I also believe that some people can be susceptible to apparitions than others and no, it's not necessarily because they want to or intend to. It just happens.

Our consciousness is a result of chemical and energy processes in our brains. How does it make sense that when those processes stop, and there is no longer something else doing the job, that our consciousness could not only continue to exist without full physical form, but to also be able to communicate with other paranormal equivalents of their original bodies?

Believe what you want to believe, but for the love of God (lol), look at the science of it.

SilverJ-17

spams bombs, not posts
Awards
I understand, but I was kind of referring to the spiritual part of consciousness. There's surely got to be something more than the chemical and energy processes, which is driving us forward. In other words, I believe in the soul, though not necessarily in the same way as religious people. I think some souls live on, some do not and no, this is not a random strength of spirit/ heart/ or soul thing. It's more like the willingness to keep existing, despite the fact that the body and soul are no longer one. Some are more willing to live beyond their demise, mainly out of torment (murder victims, or better yet, extremely heinous murder victims (like say.. brutally tortured)) and/ or willingness to reach out to love ones or others in general.

Orion

Prepared To Die
Awards
There's surely got to be something more than the chemical and energy processes, which is driving us forward.

Really? Why? Computers are fast approaching self-awareness and artificial intelligence, yet they don't have a soul.

SilverJ-17

spams bombs, not posts
Awards
∞;4434987 said:
Really? Why? Computers are fast approaching self-awareness and artificial intelligence, yet they don't have a soul.

You do have a point, though I'm not sure about that. Also, computers are built, not born. Then again, maybe one day, whether they're built and not born won't matter, but that's not exactly something I'm hoping for.

Orion

Prepared To Die
Awards
Humans are machines. Just organic ones. We're built in the womb, the factory, and then spat out into the world.

Tyrant Raver

The Dragon
Awards
many people tend to over-exaggerate telling their ghost experiences which very laughable, because they tell a story to scare you. Me? Never had an experience unless I see a horned figure with a fork.

If there's one that you should be scared of, then turn on the TV and watch the news. Those are the real horrors of life. And to think us living is worse than the departed.

Snow

Stain me Red with Blood
Living is worse than death, imo. Why I'm not dead is so that I can prove to a God one day (if there is one) that : "You sent me down to do this f***ing shit, I finished it, I survived it, I rock, you suck" etc, something along those lines. And also to prove that not all teenagers now cannot take stress and kill themselves etc.

Living is suffering itself, death a release.

Oh, and I usually don't care when people die. I can go to Auschwitz, look at what's left and go "oh, that's cool", and I can see civil unrest while actually feeling warm and fuzzy inside.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back