• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

Future of the PS3, Price, and Equipment?

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.

The M.C.

JTTW
Well figuring that the PS3 has changed its models and prices, now theres a 80GB version for $600. and i think that the 40GB is gone, and im not sure about the 60GB but i think its $500 now. but what about in a few years? i havn't been here lately so i dont know everything going on. like what will the price be in 2009? im planning on getting a PS3 around then, possibly in 2008 all depending on price.

when i get a PS3 (most likely the most expensive one at the time) i plan on getting a TV (doesnt have to be a huge one, just one in my room), a few games, HMDI Cable, and possibly surround sound system with CD/iPod capability. all of which im guessing is at least 3000 dollars? all for 2007. which is a tremendous amount. but like i said, i plan on getting a PS3 in 2008 but most likely 2009. Christmas time. so what will the price be then? anyone who knows marketing/PS3/Electronic price patterns who has an answer would be great, or even just guesses from anyone.

and an analysis on the items would be great too if possible. i.e. the HDMI Cable, and surround sound, both of which i know nothing about. i'm guessing the Cable would be pretty useful, and the surround sound would just be a fun addition. thoughts on this would be welcome too.

oh and are there any other things worth mentioning to make the PS3 experience better, or things that arnt very necessary? like BluRay vs. normal DVD?

(all these things are mostly concerning now, compared to a few years down the road. and what they might/will have better versions of)

Awards
obvviously the price wont be going up from here on out. The 20 GB unit is the unit that is gone, the 60 GB is still around at $500, as time goes on, the price will come down and I am a firm believer that as long as Wii sales are high, and Wii game sales are also high, the price of the actualy XBOX 360, and PS3 games will start to decline towards $55 i believe, and if you remember the 2K sports guys put out their PS2 sports games at $30 while EA Sports games stayed at $50 and thusly they sold well. So price declines will come, but you have to give it time.

DatDot

I'm looking into getting that whole HD PS3 experience, Me got my eyes on a very cool Samsung LCD.
I live in the UK, the 60gb PS3 has gone down in price 'after a very long wait' and I can now get one for £350 bundled with 2 games. There's also a new model out for £300; the 40gb version which has no backwards compatibility and less USB ports. I would prefer to spend £50 more to get the 60gb version but annoyingly sony have confirmed that they have stopped the production of the 60gb model meaning only the 40gb will be available once stocks of the 60gb have been sold. I was hoping to get one sometime after christmas but i doubt i will be able to get hold of one then.

Twilight93

Bronze Member
Awards
Hotel In Traverse Town, Trying To Sneak Out Withou
I have a 60GB and i love it, its $500 now and its about to go out of stock since they stopped making em. A 40GB is EXPECTED to come to the US but I don't think its confirmed, but it has 2 USB ports (60GB has 4) and has no backwards capibility, meaning you can't play PS and PS2 games, and its going for $399 if it ever comes out here.

The 80GB is $600 but I heard that it'll go down to $500 (I'm pretty sure its confirmed) when all 60GB PS3s are sold out. It has I think 75% backwards capilitly (meaning you can play 75% of all PS and PS2 games, sorry I can't spell it :p ).

So if you have $500 and you want to have FULL capilitly for play PS and PS2 games with 4 USB ports, then buy a 60GB for now and save for all the other stuff you want to buy. Or you can buy the 40GB when it comes out and save your PS2 and use 2 USB ports (In order to charge your PS3 controller, you need to connect the wire it comes with the PS3 in one of the USB ports, other stuff you can use them for are Flashdrives to put in your music/Pictures from your computer, which you can of course use the card in your digital camera too, plug in a Keyboard and mouse if you want to use em for the Internet Broswer, and I think that's it).

If you want to buy an extra controller, DON'T just yet. They are coming out with a controller called Duel Shock 3 with Rumble. I bought an extra one for $60 and I regret it now because I want the Rumble but will now have 3 controllers when I usually only need 2 and wasted $60 :( If you buy a PS3 and don't have a PS2 or PS but want to load/save your game data, buy an adaptor for like $15 so you can upload your game data on your shiny PS3, but I think they're making/made an adaptor that you can save on your PS3 and bring it back to your PS and PS2 memory card, i have the one you can't. Its an awesome system and there's FF13 and most likely KH3 coming out for it and MGS4, but if you have all your games for PS and PS2 like me, defintely buy PS3. Also, try out Heavenly Sword since it'll give you an update (which I love now that I just figured out it takes away the cell phone texting-type typing.) and its awesome! And again, its an awesome system :D

Oh yeah, there's no more 20GB. And about future pricing and such, I don't know much and with the PS3, don't bet your money on anything. They were saying the PS3 wasn't getting a pricedrop for a every long time and look at it now, even no rumble but look at that, Duel Shock 3. Oh and what's the deal with all the new models and pricedrops and taking away features? Well it cost more to make the 60GB (the orignal PS3) than $600 to make, so since they were losing lots of money, they price drop to sell more (which worked BIG time, when the 60GB became $500, sales went up by 135%) and made cheaper/other models that I'm guessing cost less to make.

Zook

you can never leave KHI
Awards
what models are actually staying through Christmas? I'm so confused with 40GB, 80GB, 60GB, which are out and which are staying?

Q

Banned
what models are actually staying through Christmas? I'm so confused with 40GB, 80GB, 60GB, which are out and which are staying?

Hay look guiez, sony marketing scheme

"let's trick all the non-informed gamers by ripping them off with a 40GB PS3 that doesn't have BC! lol!"

*group high-five*

D: I do not like companies who do such things. At least Microsoft doesn't pull out all its models and it doesn't keep changing them, constantly.

The M.C.

JTTW
thanks everyone.

actually i think i would be a non-informed gamer, but im smart enough to know that if im getting a PS3 and im spending the hundreds of dollars on it, i might as well spend a hundred more or so on a better version of it. but what i dont know is the future price, which you all already addressed.

what about an HDMI cable, does anyone know anything about those? like what they do exactly and if they help.

or which tv is best for PS3/PS3 games? like whatever its called but the 720p, 1080i, and 1080p. considering what output most games are, and what they will be like in a few years (Final Fantasy XIII and Final Fantasy Versus XII)

D

Deleted member 36435

Alright, The M.C. I am here to help you again...

PS3: In late '08 to early '09 I'm guessing will be around 350 for the 40gig, 60 gigs will be gone, and the 80gig will be about 450.

Surround Sound Speakers: Aren't to expensive right now: Yamaha - 5.1-Ch. Surround Sound Home Theater Speaker System - NS-P1600 <-Those are Yamahas for 206 bucks.

HDMI: A cable is about 50-80 dollars: React - HDMI Cable for PlayStation 3 - RTHD01 <- PS3 React HDMI Cable for 60Dollars.

TV: 1080i is the probably the best. It will support all current PS3 games to the highest they will get and in the future if it gets to be 1080p the difference isn't that noticable.
Samsung - SlimFit 30" 1080i Widescreen HDTV - TX-T3092WH <- Samsung - SlimFit 30" 1080i Widescreen HDTV

~~ Sir Schmoopy

Doctor Manhattan

Right Click, Save As
Sony's Christmas lineup

80 GB PS3(Motorstorm included)- 599
60 GB PS3(Talladega Knights included)- 499
40 GB PS3(Spiderman 3 Blu Ray included)- 399
White PS2-99(?)
Silver PSSP bundle-199
White PSSP bundle-199

dr.korytco

Check out Ebay , that is where I will prob get mine. You can find a reasonable buy there .

Zook

you can never leave KHI
Awards
Sony's Christmas lineup

80 GB PS3(Motorstorm included)- 599
60 GB PS3(Talladega Knights included)- 499
40 GB PS3(Spiderman 3 Blu Ray included)- 399
White PS2-99(?)
Silver PSSP bundle-199
White PSSP bundle-199

thanks, so are there any games that need 80GB, like would 60GB be fine?

Twilight93

Bronze Member
Awards
Hotel In Traverse Town, Trying To Sneak Out Withou
No, all PS3 games will work on all PS3s. Also if you want to save more money, I don't exactly know how to do this, but I know that if you convert Euros to US dollars, the 40GB is like 144 bucks, and I believe they made it universal so you can play all imported games on any PS3 and you pick the language right away so I don't think that's a problem. Just letting you know.

The M.C.

JTTW
Alright, The M.C. I am here to help you again...

PS3: In late '08 to early '09 I'm guessing will be around 350 for the 40gig, 60 gigs will be gone, and the 80gig will be about 450.

Surround Sound Speakers: Aren't to expensive right now: Yamaha - 5.1-Ch. Surround Sound Home Theater Speaker System - NS-P1600 <-Those are Yamahas for 206 bucks.

HDMI: A cable is about 50-80 dollars: React - HDMI Cable for PlayStation 3 - RTHD01 <- PS3 React HDMI Cable for 60Dollars.

TV: 1080i is the probably the best. It will support all current PS3 games to the highest they will get and in the future if it gets to be 1080p the difference isn't that noticable.
Samsung - SlimFit 30" 1080i Widescreen HDTV - TX-T3092WH <- Samsung - SlimFit 30" 1080i Widescreen HDTV

~~ Sir Schmoopy

thank for clearing up the things non-PS3. so the 1080i and 1080p are pretty similar eh...but are HDMI cables really useful, or is it like the difference between with and without the cable similar to the difference between 1080i and1080p, not very?

haha sorry, what else did you help me with? cause i remember your username and your avatar.... but cant remember what i needed help with that you helped me on... im guessing it was in the FFXII section because thats the only place ive posted lately.

Doctor Manhattan

Right Click, Save As
thank for clearing up the things non-PS3. so the 1080i and 1080p are pretty similar eh...but are HDMI cables really useful, or is it like the difference between with and without the cable similar to the difference between 1080i and1080p, not very?

haha sorry, what else did you help me with? cause i remember your username and your avatar.... but cant remember what i needed help with that you helped me on... im guessing it was in the FFXII section because thats the only place ive posted lately.
You can't play in 1080i/p without an HDMI cable. The only non-HDMI format is 480p =/, but what SS said is crap. HDMI cables all work the exact same and are incredebly cheap if you actually attempt at searcing for one. I used I'm Feeling Lucky on google (Takes to first result) and found 3 Foot PS3-Compatible HDMI for $5.99 With 1-4 buisness day first class shipping. And If you need a longer cable, there's a $6.99 6 foot and $7.99 ten foot, just search for HDMI to HDMI cable.

The M.C.

JTTW
You can't play in 1080i/p without an HDMI cable. The only non-HDMI format is 480p =/, but what SS said is crap. HDMI cables all work the exact same and are incredebly cheap if you actually attempt at searcing for one. I used I'm Feeling Lucky on google (Takes to first result) and found 3 Foot PS3-Compatible HDMI for $5.99 With 1-4 buisness day first class shipping. And If you need a longer cable, there's a $6.99 6 foot and $7.99 ten foot, just search for HDMI to HDMI cable.

are those good though? like they're not going to break or get messed up after a while? and HDMI cables dont have to be HDMI cables for the PS3 do they?

D

Deleted member 36435

No, they don't have to be for the PS3 only... however I picked Best Buy because they're more trustworthy then a random google site link.

Also, I helped you with the phone.

Doctor Manhattan

Right Click, Save As
No, they don't have to be for the PS3 only... however I picked Best Buy because they're more trustworthy then a random google site link.

Also, I helped you with the phone.
Yeah, I've talked to some people who ordered from their and they totally trust the site's owners.

And using leverage over someone to get them to spend more money than they need to and not getting benifited by it makes no sense to me. PSM Magazine in one of their recent issues (can't remember which) says that a $15 HDMI Cable is as reliable as one that costs 60.

Use the extra money to buy Warhawk.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back