• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

Future Aqua - Weaker bro or stronger "foe?"

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ronove

It was a Saturday evening. I walked into my favorite bar, the DARKNESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS Dive, to order a drink. Or two. Or three. Or four. Or five. Or, well, you get the point.

Halfway into my second Cuba Libre, who should walk in but my good friend Number Zero? Now, Number Zero at the bar is a friend of mine, he buys me my drinks for free.

He's good with a joke, or to light up your smoke, but there's someplace that he'd rather b- uh, never mind.

In any event, he plops down at the bar, orders his favorite drink, a Pan Galactic Gargle Blaster(No worries, he had his towel on him.) Now, at the same moment I was chatting with the bartender about Kingdom Hearts 3DS. He and I had come to an agreement that having Riku fight Sora as the final boss would be "really fucking cool." Number Zero nodded in agreement, bringing up the possibility of perhaps having Riku fight a Vanitas possessed Sora.

I objected. Would it not be more appropriate for Aqua to fight Vanitas-Sora? The bartender was indifferent, and ultimately it was a subjective choice. But Number Zero, with about a quarter of his drink left, brought up an interesting dilemma.

Would it be better for Aqua to be a powerful warrior, or at Sora's level?

Powerful, I said, finishing my mix of rum and coke and asking the bartender for one more. She spent eleven years in the ROD, and even if time didn't quite work like that the place was one hell of a work out.

Number Zero, who had started on his second drink as well, agreed. The ROD was hostile and fierce, to be sure, but if Aqua was tough she'd steal the spotlight from Sora

I agreed with the slightly inebriated man, you can't have that happening. But as my BAC climbed and climbed, a thought rushed to my alcohol poisoned brain.

What if Aqua was powerful, but also an aloof ally? Then her time in the ROD would improve her skills as it should have without Sora losing face.

Number Zero chuckled bitterly. Ronove my friend, he said, don't you realize that that would mean less Aqua.

To my horror, it would.

And so, my fellow dancers in life, I ask you this: What role would you rather Aqua play in Kingdom Hearts 3?

A close ally who is weaker than Sora, or a powerful "lone wolf" type of ally who you rarely see? Perhaps even a "foe" who is still good?

The question is open-ended, and there are no right answers. But the dilemma haunted me well after the bartender ejected me out at five in the morning.

Oracle Spockanort

written in the stars
Staff member
Awards
Website
twitter.com
Powerful "lone wolf" who ends up being a party member eventually and always has a higher level and stats than Sora.

I think I know what you are referencing with the Cuba Libre but my brain isn't working right now to figure it out...So I'm gonna go see if I can play Catherine or something

Evello

The Radiant Hero
Awards
Let me just say, the amount of effort you put into proposing this question is both astounding and inspiring. Kudos.

To answer your question, I would say she should remain an aloof ally, much like Mickey in KH1 and KH2. At first, I thought Aqua was shaping up to be the Master of Sora and Riku, but since Yen Sid has politely snatched that responsibility away, I think Aqua would function best as either a Mickey-esque ally who only shows up for important battles/plot-points (assuming she is rescued early), or a KH2-Riku-esque ally who acts as a close ally, but only right near the end of the game where Sora has been able to near her abilities and her strength would not make as much of an impact on the gameplay (assuming she is rescued later).

Jesus

Hater-bending
Awards
A bar where the customers and bartender speak KH?
..... where?

Neko

Keep Holding On
Awards
I agree with the "lone wolf" type of idea for Aqua. I see her more as an ally in key points in the storyline when either the enemy is so strong you need Aqua to battle with you, or when Sora is powered up enough to be near the same level of power as Aqua.

Narukami

ᴋɪɴɢᴘɪɴ &#743
Awards
Website
stormdiver.tumblr.com
First off, I enjoyed the way you came to this question. :p

Second off, I agree with everyone else in that she would be a lone wolf. Your may cross paths with her here and there, but she probably will be doing something else besides whatever Sora's current motives are.

Ronove

Well, yes, I quite favor the Lone Wolf thing myself. Heck, if you think about it, she's Sora if a bunch of things in Sora's life went poorly where they went well.

I guess this brings us to another question: Is Aqua at risk for "chickification?" That is to say, if she isn't a "Lone Wolf", is there a possibility that she becomes just another "Useless Kingdom Hearts Female?"

Along those lines, would an association with Kairi be good or bad for Aqua's image?

Ruran

Flesh by mother, soul by father
Awards
Concurs with majority opinion. I think Aqua will be the lone wolf that goes off mainly on her own but catch up with every now and then and even fight together with occasionally. I like to think that because of Riku's affiliation with darkness that puts her at odds with Sora and Riku and they very loosely become "frienemies" (very loosely) until Aqua accepts that darkness isn't bad.

Oracle Spockanort

written in the stars
Staff member
Awards
Website
twitter.com
I doubt she'd end up being a character in the sidelines. I'm sure she'll reappear even after the Xehanort Saga and have a proactive (yet not playable) role in the series. She'll probably turn into something like what the RG Final Fantasy characters are.

Ronove

That'd be terrible. The RG FF guys are side characters at best and irrelevant at worst.

And Ruran, I'm personally hoping Aqua gets down with darkness in the ROD. Everyone who has been there has, even Mickey to a degree.

Taochan

Administrator
Staff member
Awards
I hope Aqua doesn't turn to darkness, if anything watching her accept that all darkness is not evil would be good enough. But to watch her fall prey to it? I don't know. :/
I'd cry if Aqua became like the FF characters... I love her and really hope she'll continue to have a role in future games. Like, an actual role where some installments have her as a party member or a playable character.

Ruran

Flesh by mother, soul by father
Awards
Nomura acknowledges Aqua's popularity so I don't think he'll compromise it by chickifying her. If her character is to develop I don't think they'll go down route.

Mickey accepting darkness has more to do with befriending Riku than visiting the RoD though.

Neko

Keep Holding On
Awards
I do not see Aqua ever turning to darkness. She spent so long resisting it in the RoD I just cannot see that happening. She could come to terms with darkness and accept that exists, but I do not see her actually using it.

Pratiko

Awards
Don't you see, people? The dilemma of Aqua's role in KH3 is irrelevant compared to the location of this supposed "bar" where the bartender chats about Kingdom Hearts and then Number Zero bursts in to join the conversation!

Nah, but seriously, Aqua should just pop out once: at the ending.

Ronove

I do not see Aqua ever turning to darkness. She spent so long resisting it in the RoD I just cannot see that happening. She could come to terms with darkness and accept that exists, but I do not see her actually using it.

Vietnam was hell. But you think she's resisting it, how do you know that by the point she was sharing a blunt with Ansem the Wise she hadn't already used it? I mean, really. She's spent more time in that place than anyone else.

rac7d

The prince of Tides
Awards
isnt lonewofl out her chracter she is not an atoner,
mabey she has a misson of her own and when she run into sora they work together

Ronove

Out of her character? The warrior who spent eleven years on her own in the ROD? I disagree, Aqua alone is very fitting for her character.

Taochan

Administrator
Staff member
Awards
Being alone out of circumstance and being alone by choice are very different things. :/

Sign

trapped in revamp hell
Staff member
Awards
Out of her character? The warrior who spent eleven years on her own in the ROD? I disagree, Aqua alone is very fitting for her character.

To be fair, she didn't choose to be alone, and it wasn't nearly as long in RoD time.

Lonbilly

an old man plaguing the site like a phantom
Awards

Please, did you see how she reacted when she saw Ansem in the RoD?

Talk about desperate.

But I don't see her as the loner type. Even Riku isn't really a loner type anymore.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back