• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

Final Fantasy V - "Ha! I lied! Like a rug!"

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.

hemmoheikkinen

Dear Kafka
Awards
Hmm, like you said the game seems to be a not really well done port of the iOS version. Gotta dig some more info first before I buy it. It is not broken or anything, but just gotta check a few things about.

maryadavies

She Shoots for the Stars
Awards
Website
maryadavies.vze.com
I'm not worried tho myself. Right now I don't have the money for it to spare so figure by the time I solve a few more problems, maybe it'll be better?

If not at least I have a legit copy of FF5 to play without having to pay a insane price for the GBA version.

hemmoheikkinen

Dear Kafka
Awards
I'm not worried tho myself. Right now I don't have the money for it to spare so figure by the time I solve a few more problems, maybe it'll be better?

If not at least I have a legit copy of FF5 to play without having to pay a insane price for the GBA version.

Oh well, I have been saving money to get this game so I will buy it. I heard that some people do not really like new art style, but I think it`s not nearly as bad as people say it its. I really like that he characters faces appear in the text boxes, and there is still an old feeling in it.

I m gonna get the game V today, and post here on thoughts about it, and also of course if I encounter any issues with it. FFVI on PSN was little slow on some parts(like loading the menus), but that did not really bother me.

maryadavies

She Shoots for the Stars
Awards
Website
maryadavies.vze.com
That's basically what most of the bad reviews are about. "But but there's tiling! But but the graphics look bad on my monitor!" "Art style sucks!"

As I said, keep your expectations low, graphic wise. And thanks. That'll help once I get the money together. (PS3 at this point has higher priority so I can give Neko's back.)

BTW, did you try one of those wrappers/drivers? Work okay? I haven't had a issue other than usb cable going bad in about two years, there's a addon that will let it work with older games too that the homebrew writer's trying to get to work with the second one and with a newer version of the program it uses. (That saved me in FFXI, since I hadn't retired at the time; FFXI is a very odd beastie and doesn't like anything but a protocol called direct input. If you use the newer protocol (XInput, which this relies on), some..weird things..can happen, like R2/L2 not working right. Shouldn't be a issue with V though since they prolly went with the newer protocol. I like having that around tho b/c sometimes you run into that.)

Last edited:

hemmoheikkinen

Dear Kafka
Awards
That's basically what most of the bad reviews are about. "But but there's tiling! But but the graphics look bad on my monitor!" "Art style sucks!"

As I said, keep your expectations low, graphic wise. And thanks. That'll help once I get the money together. (PS3 at this point has higher priority so I can give Neko's back.)

BTW, did you try one of those wrappers/drivers? Work okay? I haven't had a issue other than usb cable going bad in about two years, there's a addon that will let it work with older games too that the homebrew writer's trying to get to work with the second one and with a newer version of the program it uses. (That saved me in FFXI, since I hadn't retired at the time; FFXI is a very odd beastie and doesn't like anything but a protocol called direct input. If you use the newer protocol (XInput, which this relies on), some..weird things..can happen, like R2/L2 not working right. Shouldn't be a issue with V though since they prolly went with the newer protocol. I like having that around tho b/c sometimes you run into that.)

Not yet, I am going to check them out now since I am using my own laptop. I think an controller is a better choice since I have a feeling that even with assigning things in different slots in the keyboard, my hands will start to hurt after a while of playing.

x4gkg9.jpg

Got a half an hour in the V and I am liking it. There is a little screen tear in some instances like inside dungeons, but I did not even notice it first. Nothing has lagged or anything, at least yet. The graphics are old like you mentioned, but I find them quite charming. The music appears to be the original too. So yeah, I don`t really have things to complain about since I am not really interested in screen tear or issues similar to that. :)
It makes me little sad that I don`t have almost any of the FF games in a physical form, FFX HD being the only one. The cover art is really amazing in some of them, especially the one edition of VI.

EDIT:

Hmm, I think I am getting the hang of it. Gonna try to finish it after floorball practice.

Last edited:

maryadavies

She Shoots for the Stars
Awards
Website
maryadavies.vze.com
Little screen tear..esp if it's hardly noticeable..prolly won't bug me either. I'm all
cat-etongue.gif
about those reviews, since I know this was originally a SNES game so you can't expect modern graphics. You really can't. And tiling/crap like that is a part of the time this game was made. Hopefully they fix the screen tear issue eventually though.

I'll buy it once I deal with the console problem. ^^

hemmoheikkinen

Dear Kafka
Awards
Little screen tear..esp if it's hardly noticeable..prolly won't bug me either. I'm all
cat-etongue.gif
about those reviews, since I know this was originally a SNES game so you can't expect modern graphics. You really can't. And tiling/crap like that is a part of the time this game was made. Hopefully they fix the screen tear issue eventually though.

I'll buy it once I deal with the console problem. ^^

Who on earth would expect a game from 1992 to have modern graphics? :D Like really people?

maryadavies

She Shoots for the Stars
Awards
Website
maryadavies.vze.com
Yeah, really. I don't play this game for "Ooooh, pretty graphics"; I play it for the gameplay, which involves a lot of customization (and yes, some grinding but if you have trouble with that, there's a quick way to bring up jobs later in the game)

It's one of my top FF games actually. ^_^

hemmoheikkinen

Dear Kafka
Awards
Yeah, really. I don't play this game for "Ooooh, pretty graphics"; I play it for the gameplay, which involves a lot of customization (and yes, some grinding but if you have trouble with that, there's a quick way to bring up jobs later in the game)

It's one of my top FF games actually. ^_^

In Bravely Default the huge variety in customization was little overwhelming at first, but eventually I did learn how to use that system. I did not use many classes thou. Picked the ones that I liked and used them pretty much to the end. Grinding is not an issue if it`s not in the levels of Bravely Default. My complains about FFVI large cast seem rather minor when compared it to BD.
FFV seems to have an auto-battle option so maybe that can also ease grinding?

I like the gameplay of FF games, but in the end I prefer KH`s faster and action heavy combat. I feel right at home in there. Type-0 combat system is one my favorites in the FF-series. It was also the first time when random encounters did not bother me. So the experience I am always looking for FF games is the story and the characters. FFV cast seems interesting. Their dialogue is really amusing. :D
I think I am gonna try again tomorrow with the drivers. Floorball practice ended rather late and I am pretty tired. The instructions looks simple enough so even a technology noob like me might succeed, but maybe it better to do it tomorrow.

I am looking forward to see where FFV is going to end in my list. :)

maryadavies

She Shoots for the Stars
Awards
Website
maryadavies.vze.com
I kinda like both types. Both KH style and turn based have their points.

And that can. Remind me later, it isn't until a certain point in the story, but there's some enemies that you can take Softs and 1 hit KO that can give you a lot of job points. Which makes mastering several jobs tedious but doable.

And yes, the lines and all are amusing and fun. That's another thing I like about a lot of FF games, the story. (That reminds me, still need to find the $$ by Black Friday so I can get a 2TB or larger hdd so I can get FFXIII and FFXIII-2. Since there's a good chance Lightening will show up you know where, I want to play those but they're huuuuge like Xbox. But..that's another story. I'll stick to smaller games until I can get that)

hemmoheikkinen

Dear Kafka
Awards
Wow, there seems to be a lot of jobs in V. I have only played for 4 hours and there are so many... Maybe even too much for my poor brains to handle. Guess I just need to learn to cope with the system like I did with BD. Now Bartz is a warrior, Lenna is an thief, Galuf and black mage and Faris an white mage. I shall remind you about the job point farming in the future! :D

I feel kinda weird since I usually see many comments about wanting variety and customization, and I kinda want that too but... not just too much. I like system that are in FFX and FFIX. They give you options but no too many, and they also fit to the role that the characters play in the world. Yuna is a high summoner, so she will be summoner. Zidane is thief so he will be a thief, and you can only raise level him as a thief. FFVII would seem to have too many options for my taste, but thanks to my poor imagination, I cannot really invent many materia combinations.

maryadavies

She Shoots for the Stars
Awards
Website
maryadavies.vze.com
I usualy went warrior, monk, black mage, white mage and swapped around once I had a mastered job or got the ability I wanted. Like, I always spend time grinding up Blue Mage on all four charas so they all have Learning to equip at my first opportunity (makes learning blue magic SO much easier when you don't have to worry about which chara it needs to hit!)

I'll be glad to explain once you get to second world. ^^ Tho yeah, I highly recommend doing that bit with Blue Mage soon as you get the job.

hemmoheikkinen

Dear Kafka
Awards
I usualy went warrior, monk, black mage, white mage and swapped around once I had a mastered job or got the ability I wanted. Like, I always spend time grinding up Blue Mage on all four charas so they all have Learning to equip at my first opportunity (makes learning blue magic SO much easier when you don't have to worry about which chara it needs to hit!)

I'll be glad to explain once you get to second world. ^^ Tho yeah, I highly recommend doing that bit with Blue Mage soon as you get the job.

For some reason I have never really gotten accustomed to use the blue mage. It was hard with Quina since you had to mess with the Eat command, and for some reason I never did it with Gau in FFVI. I don´t really know why. :D
So does the jobs in V work so that once you have leaned all of the abilities you can (or the ones you want), you can still use them in a different job? Like I have learned the equip shield ability for Bartz, so if I change his class to something different than the knight, I can still use the shield ability?

maryadavies

She Shoots for the Stars
Awards
Website
maryadavies.vze.com
Exactly. You have to go to the chara in the menu and equip it but yes.

Just so you know, blue magic in this game can be stupidly powerful, you have to get hit with it tho before you can use it on a chara that either has Learning or who is on blue mage. It's easier (Especially when you learn from a boss~!) to have all charas with learning. That way it don't matter WHO it hits, you'll learn the spell. (Lot easier than Quina, don't ya think?)

I strongly suggest you check GameFAQs for that reason so you don't miss any ^^.

Blackdrazon

Vulpes Chronicler
Awards
For some reason I have never really gotten accustomed to use the blue mage. It was hard with Quina since you had to mess with the Eat command, and for some reason I never did it with Gau in FFVI. I don´t really know why. :D
So does the jobs in V work so that once you have leaned all of the abilities you can (or the ones you want), you can still use them in a different job? Like I have learned the equip shield ability for Bartz, so if I change his class to something different than the knight, I can still use the shield ability?

You get a single ability that you've mastered from another class. However, if you go back to Freelancer (and one other job later in the game), you get multiple ability slots, so you can mix-and-match!

In fact (though the game never says so), mastering jobs transfers their best stats to those two Jobs, so they become especially powerful. So if you master Warrior, the Warrior's Strength bonus would now apply to Freelancer until such time that you master an even stronger job. When my friend and I were playing the game for the Marathon, we spent a lot of the final dungeon training all these neglected jobs just to bump up one forgotten stat in time for the end boss.

hemmoheikkinen

Dear Kafka
Awards
Exactly. You have to go to the chara in the menu and equip it but yes.

Just so you know, blue magic in this game can be stupidly powerful, you have to get hit with it tho before you can use it on a chara that either has Learning or who is on blue mage. It's easier (Especially when you learn from a boss~!) to have all charas with learning. That way it don't matter WHO it hits, you'll learn the spell. (Lot easier than Quina, don't ya think?)

I strongly suggest you check GameFAQs for that reason so you don't miss any ^^.

Hmm, guess this time around I really should start using the blue mage. I sometimes get the feeling that I miss some cool moves because I don`t use it, especially from bosses. V`s method really sounds easier than Quinas. :) Gotta check the GameFAQ on some point.

You get a single ability that you've mastered from another class. However, if you go back to Freelancer (and one other job later in the game), you get multiple ability slots, so you can mix-and-match!

In fact (though the game never says so), mastering jobs transfers their best stats to those two Jobs, so they become especially powerful. So if you master Warrior, the Warrior's Strength bonus would now apply to Freelancer until such time that you master an even stronger job. When my friend and I were playing the game for the Marathon, we spent a lot of the final dungeon training all these neglected jobs just to bump up one forgotten stat in time for the end boss.

Whoa, this sounds really useful! Kinda makes me wonder why the game does not say anything about this. How hard is the end game section in FFV?
You also reminded me that I need to continue reading your Kingdom Hearts marathon. I am really looking forward to the Hollow Bastion section of your KH1 retrospective.

Dentim

A boy in a playsuit.
Awards
FFV is probably the game where Blue Magic was at its best (bit sad...) It's an excellent support set for almost every job, even physical ones.

Blackdrazon

Vulpes Chronicler
Awards
Whoa, this sounds really useful! Kinda makes me wonder why the game does not say anything about this. How hard is the end game section in FFV?

Maybe I just missed it? I don't really know!

I may not be the best person to ask about endgame difficulty, because my Marathon partner Kyle did a good deal of AP grinding in his off-time, enough that our party was ready for almost anything. Though there is a final challenge to beat the game with all party members on two feet if you want the (slightly) better ending, and that had us panicked.

The thing to keep in mind with FFV is that it can be hard, or it can be broken with a single hit to just the right spot. It's up to you to discover which ones you can break and which ones you'll have to power through.

You also reminded me that I need to continue reading your Kingdom Hearts marathon. I am really looking forward to the Hollow Bastion section of your KH1 retrospective.

Feel free! It's ready for you once you're ready for it!

maryadavies

She Shoots for the Stars
Awards
Website
maryadavies.vze.com
I just checked and..they deleted Chris Kohler's FAQ for the English version. The FIRST english version. Luckily I still have it! Here it is!

I'd recommend that one, Chris is the granddaddy of FFV. Since the PS version's translation's a bit crappy and the PC version uses the Advance translation (which is much improved), things might be a tad wonky, but he won't steer you wrong.

He does not mention the four new classes that came in with the Advance version (which the PC version is based on) since those weren't in the PS version. I'd recommend Oracle and Cannoner since a couple ability from each will help you level up both jobs and yourself faster. Well, when you get them. If you want to know more about the newer stuff, of course check Gamefaqs.

Last edited:

hemmoheikkinen

Dear Kafka
Awards
FFV is probably the game where Blue Magic was at its best (bit sad...) It's an excellent support set for almost every job, even physical ones.

Man, blue mage is getting love here. Now I am even more convinced that I need to start using it.

I just checked and..they deleted Chris Kohler's FAQ for the English version. The FIRST english version. Luckily I still have it! Here it is!

Good to see that the FAQ still exist in some form. :D Thanks for the link!

The thing to keep in mind with FFV is that it can be hard, or it can be broken with a single hit to just the right spot. It's up to you to discover which ones you can break and which ones you'll have to power through.

Ooh yes, I love to experiment stuff.

Also, one very curious detail I noticed about the summoner class. This detail connects to the plot of IX so behind spoilers it shall be:
Spoiler Spoiler Show

Gotta play more today. I am now kinda lost in the game thou. I am at
Spoiler Spoiler Show

EDIT:

12 hours in now and dam I am loving this game. The story started to get really interesting. I have now arrived to the new world. Gilgamesh is amazing and amusing at the same time. :D Clash at the Big Bridge has to be one of the best video game songs I have ever heard.
Finally also started to use the blue mage, and that job truly is brilliant. I have also now mastered the thief job, white mage and knight jobs. Now Bartz is a samurai, Lenna is an summoner, and Faris is the blue mage.

I would gladly now hear the tips that maryadavies mentioned. :)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back