• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

Final Fantasy V - "Ha! I lied! Like a rug!"

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.

maryadavies

She Shoots for the Stars
Awards
Website
maryadavies.vze.com
The extra dungeon came with the GBA Advance version, which this version was based on. (My brother loaned me the strat guide for that version which still works for this one. I mostly use that for maps, though)

Also FF Wiki does list a few more enemies to get it from: Level 5 Death. I think there's a few you can find; the easiest is one in the Solitary Temple. Make sure you got a chara with Control and a chara with Learning on that their level is a multiple of 5. Oh and be ready with Raise, for it will kill that chara. (Since it's ga, make sure not everyone is on a multiple of 5 unless you want to wipe.)

Also, any remake I think would be more like Final Fantasy IV DS, which was basically more like Bravely Default, graphic style wise. I dunno how much work that'd be either...

Last edited:

hemmoheikkinen

Dear Kafka
Awards
The extra dungeon came with the GBA Advance version, which this version was based on. (My brother loaned me the strat guide for that version which still works for this one. I mostly use that for maps, though)

Also FF Wiki does list a few more enemies to get it from: Level 5 Death. I think there's a few you can find; the easiest is one in the Underwater Temple. Make sure you got a chara with Control and a chara with Learning on that their level is a multiple of 5. Oh and be ready with Raise, for it will kill that chara. (Since it's ga, make sure not everyone is on a multiple of 5 unless you want to wipe.)

Also, any remake I think would be more like Final Fantasy IV DS, which was basically more like Bravely Default, graphic style wise. I dunno how much work that'd be either...

Phew, all hope has not been lost then. Gotta pay a visit to the underground temple after I deal with the Mimic Master boss. I don´t have control on any of my characters so gotta get that too.

maryadavies

She Shoots for the Stars
Awards
Website
maryadavies.vze.com
You mean the solitary temple (it's on Big Bridge). Sorry about that, I was editing a lot ^^

But yeah, all hope hasn't been lost tho I've played this game enough, that I usualy make sure I can get it first opportunity since it's so useful for grindy stuff.

hemmoheikkinen

Dear Kafka
Awards
You mean the solitary temple (it's on Big Bridge). Sorry about that, I was editing a lot ^^

But yeah, all hope hasn't been lost tho I've played this game enough, that I usualy make sure I can get it first opportunity since it's so useful for grindy stuff.

Ohh no the fault is mine, I mixed up some enemies. You are right, Solitary Temple is the place where I have to go for Level 5 Death. For some reason I remembered that Level Tricker resides in The Great Sea Trench...

hemmoheikkinen

Dear Kafka
Awards
Apologies for double posting.
Made some progress in the game. Got Level 5 Death and Mimic job. Holy heck that job is powerful! You get 3 empty ability slots, and all of the skills from the job you master. That is insane. All four tablets have been gotten and the 12 legendary weapons are all mine. Now to grind a bit, I have already mastered Mimic for Lenna and Faris. I`ll search for Odin first and some of the helpful moves and abilities found in the FAQ. After that I think I am ready for the final dungeon. Not sure if I will tackle the super bosses yet.
Are the 3 remaining jobs canoneer, gladiator and the one that can see the future? I found them on a underwater cave and I am not sure where to go after that. Guess I`ll have to look at the FAQ again.

maryadavies

She Shoots for the Stars
Awards
Website
maryadavies.vze.com
yep those are the three extra that WERE NOT in the PS2 version/remake. There is a fourth you can get there, but you have to beat the after the game dungeon first.

From the wiki: Oracle, Gladiator, and Cannoneer. I recommend you master Oracle on your mages for the magic damage boost and master Cannonneer to level 2 on all charas for EXP up. Oh and Oracle to level 2 on the other charas for ABP Up. Both abilities give you a 1.5 boost on..well, whatever their name is. I don't think I need to explain, but it sure helps with grindage!

Last edited:

hemmoheikkinen

Dear Kafka
Awards
yep those are the three extra that WERE NOT in the PS2 version/remake. There is a fourth you can get there, but you have to beat the after the game dungeon first.

From the wiki: Oracle, Gladiator, and Cannoneer. I recommend you master Oracle on your mages for the magic damage boost and master Cannonneer to level 2 on all charas for EXP up. Oh and Oracle to level 2 on the other charas for ABP Up. Both abilities give you a 1.5 boost on..well, whatever their name is. I don't think I need to explain, but it sure helps with grindage!

Wow, those are really helpful abilities. Got the ABP up for Lenna and Faris, and Faris also has the EXP up. This going to make grinding a little bit easier.

Guernsey

Awards
I kind of had to 'cheat' in order to max out job levels in this game.

hemmoheikkinen

Dear Kafka
Awards
^How does one cheat in this game?

Dam, the ABP Up ability and EXP Up ability are really helpful. They make grinding less tedious, and I have now mastered the Canoneer and Oracle jobs for everybody. Got Red Mage maxed for Faris and I now have dualcast. Ooh, all the possibilities that opes up. I also noticed that a Ninja job combined with Jump is quite powerful. I have two weapons with the Ninja, and one is the weapon that huts enemies twice with Jump. I can make up to 3 physical attacks with one turn. Splendid.

The only problem I seem to have is that I can`t find the final dungeon.:confused:

Dentim

A boy in a playsuit.
Awards
Go through one of the dimensional rifts. It's been a while, so I don't remember if you have to go through a specific one (the one where Bartz' hometown used to be might be it) or if any of them will do.

If you really want to do some damage, stick that Doublecast on a Mime along with either Summon or Time Magic (or both) and a Gold Hairpin. Then you can unleash 5 attack spells in 1 turn for (relatively) minor cost. 1st turn: Attack spell + Quick. Quick will give you 2 more turns (usable once per character per turn, to prevent spamming). Use the first to doublecast whatever attack spell you want, use the second to use Mimicry to cast them again for free.
Remember that with Quick, you have to cast the Attack spell first, because if Quick comes first it's effect will override whatever spell you selected as second.
Killer magic combo right there. Works best with either Bahamut (for multiple targets) or Meteor (single target) The damage per hit may be random, but total damage can be higher than Bahamut. I found it to be worth the risk, outdamaged Bahamut for me roughly 80% of the time.

hemmoheikkinen

Dear Kafka
Awards
Go through one of the dimensional rifts. It's been a while, so I don't remember if you have to go through a specific one (the one where Bartz' hometown used to be might be it) or if any of them will do.

If you really want to do some damage, stick that Doublecast on a Mime along with either Summon or Time Magic (or both) and a Gold Hairpin. Then you can unleash 5 attack spells in 1 turn for (relatively) minor cost. 1st turn: Attack spell + Quick. Quick will give you 2 more turns (usable once per character per turn, to prevent spamming). Use the first to doublecast whatever attack spell you want, use the second to use Mimicry to cast them again for free.
Remember that with Quick, you have to cast the Attack spell first, because if Quick comes first it's effect will override whatever spell you selected as second.
Killer magic combo right there. Works best with either Bahamut (for multiple targets) or Meteor (single target) The damage per hit may be random, but total damage can be higher than Bahamut. I found it to be worth the risk, outdamaged Bahamut for me roughly 80% of the time.

Thanks! Aah, so it was one the rifts. I was confused since I investigated one of them and it lead to the Phantom Village, but everything there was frozen. After reading your reply I went back there and progressed little further. I entered a forest that the FAQ maryadavies linked here speaks about, so I am on the right track now.

Holy heck, that sounds really powerful. So many spells that you are able to cast... guess I`ll have to search for a Gold Hairpin then.
Meteor is indeed most effective against a single enemy. My "tactic" against Bahamut was to to spam that. Bahamut damages at best for me around 4000(at best 4800) and sometimes Meteor has reached 5000.

Man, I might finish FFV this week.

Dentim

A boy in a playsuit.
Awards
Yeah, without that Gold Hairpin you'll run out of steam soon. But it's the most potent magic option imo.
A cheaper option (MP-wise) is to give a Freelancer X-Attack/Barrage/whatever it's called in your translation, master Ninja so he gets Dualwield without having to equip it and give him/her your 2 strongest weapons. Leads into 8 half damage attacks per turn. For extra flavor you can go the Quick option again to do 16 attacks, or use Sword Magic to give the 8 attacks a power boost. (Cheaper than quick)

Two Freelancers and 2 Mimics with a sufficient amount of jobs mastered can destroy most challenges the fame throws at you with ease. Just a matter of choosing your Ability combo's :)

hemmoheikkinen

Dear Kafka
Awards
Yeah, without that Gold Hairpin you'll run out of steam soon. But it's the most potent magic option imo.
A cheaper option (MP-wise) is to give a Freelancer X-Attack/Barrage/whatever it's called in your translation, master Ninja so he gets Dualwield without having to equip it and give him/her your 2 strongest weapons. Leads into 8 half damage attacks per turn. For extra flavor you can go the Quick option again to do 16 attacks, or use Sword Magic to give the 8 attacks a power boost. (Cheaper than quick)

Two Freelancers and 2 Mimics with a sufficient amount of jobs mastered can destroy most challenges the fame throws at you with ease. Just a matter of choosing your Ability combo's :)

Hmm, I might check what combinations I can do with the Freelancers. Mimic is an very powerful job, and spamming powerful magic with zero cost it is really useful. Gold Hairpin is a blessing! You can cast spells like Meteor with only the cost of 20 MP.
Reading the combinations you posted once again shows how terrible I am at thinking and inventing different strategies. My mind only sees the simple solutions.

Tried the final dungeon today. Lenna and Faris are at level 60 and Bartz and Krile at lv 59. Most bosses did not cause me trouble. Got all the way up to the crystal floor and King Behemot killed me. I forgot to save so an hour worth of progress was lost. That did not make me happy. Then I started again from the waterfalls, backed up and saved every time I defeated a boss, and got back to the point where died. Luckily there was save point in the castle dungeon so I did not have to back all the way to the waterfall area to save. Managed to progress little further in the the crystal part of the dungeon, opened a chest and well what we have hear: the legendary dragon! It killed me with one hit... I am gonna take break, and maybe try again later today. Gotta check that FAQ again.

Dentim

A boy in a playsuit.
Awards
Yeah, stay away from that chest until you beat Exdeath. Same for Omega Weapon (unless you did already beat it, in which case good job) There is a reasonably foolproof strategy, but I can't for my life remember it right now. One of the last rooms hold the rare Mover enemy btw. Not too hard to beat and gives TONS of AP.

As for those Abilities, I'd advise you to carefully consider every option when selecting them. Don't just go for what seems fancy or strong, but think about the strenghts and flaws of your current job and how the right ability might improve them.
Some things work out well in nearly every case though (Dualcast is almost always an excellent support skill, despite the low-powered spells it inherently has)

hemmoheikkinen

Dear Kafka
Awards
Yeah, stay away from that chest until you beat Exdeath. Same for Omega Weapon (unless you did already beat it, in which case good job) There is a reasonably foolproof strategy, but I can't for my life remember it right now. One of the last rooms hold the rare Mover enemy btw. Not too hard to beat and gives TONS of AP.

As for those Abilities, I'd advise you to carefully consider every option when selecting them. Don't just go for what seems fancy or strong, but think about the strenghts and flaws of your current job and how the right ability might improve them.
Some things work out well in nearly every case though (Dualcast is almost always an excellent support skill, despite the low-powered spells it inherently has)

Oh no, Omega was too powerful yet. All thou seeing that you can absorb some it`s attack(I think fire based moves?) some sort of strategy started to develop in my head. I`ll check the FAQ if I can`t come up with anything good. Aah, I saw them. They do give a huge amount of AP. Seems to be a good place to grind Jobs.

I have started to think more. Usually I only thought about what just rises my stats, but I now I started to experiment little more with abilities and equipment.
Apologies for the late reply.

In other news, I finally cleared Final Fantasy V`s story! Man, what an amazing adventure that was. I was also able to defeat all of ExeDeath`s minions, and got the scene with Gilgamhes too. I really liked that jerk and I hope we might see him again one day. The fight against ExeDeath was not that hard, I guess I was a bit over leveled. I just have to say that I really liked the design of the boss. Both when he was merged with the tree and the form after that. Maybe not as marvelous looking as Kefka`s forms, but still really cool. ExeDeath as villain was okay, nothing special but he was not bad either. He had enough charisma to be a scary villain when needed, and he gave me the feeling that he needs to be stopped.
I manged to keep everyone alive during the two fights and I guess that got me an special ending(at least an achievement in Steam)? And man I really liked that ending. After seeing how Krile felt alone, and then the rest of the gang comes to cheer her up and says that she is not alone... that melted my heart. And then the game ends with Bartz, Faris and Lena riding chocobos and Krile flying over them with the Wind Drake. I had a huge grin on my face the whole time.

I think I might try the super bosses and the post game dungeon little later, Undertale is calling.

Last edited:

shuyin_zer0

Awards
Oh no, Omega was too powerful yet. All thou seeing that you can absorb some it`s attack(I think fire based moves?) some sort of strategy started to develop in my head. I`ll check the FAQ if I can`t come up with anything good. Aah, I saw them. They do give a huge amount of AP. Seems to be a good place to grind Jobs.

I have started to think more. Usually I only thought about what just rises my stats, but I now I started to experiment little more with abilities and equipment.
Apologies for the late reply.

In other news, I finally cleared Final Fantasy V`s story! Man, what an amazing adventure that was. I was also able to defeat all of ExeDeath`s minions, and got the scene with Gilgamhes too. I really liked that jerk and I hope we might see him again one day. The fight against ExeDeath was not that hard, I guess I was a bit over leveled. I just have to say that I really liked the design of the boss. Both when he was merged with the tree and the form after that. Maybe not as marvelous looking as Kefka`s forms, but still really cool. ExeDeath as villain was okay, nothing special but he was not bad either. He had enough charisma to be a scary villain when needed, and he gave me the feeling that he needs to be stopped.
I manged to keep everyone alive during the two fights and I guess that got me an special ending(at least an achievement in Steam)? And man I really liked that ending. After seeing how Krile felt alone, and then the rest of the gang comes to cheer her up and says that she is not alone... that melted my heart. And then the game ends with Bartz, Faris and Lena riding chocobos and Krile flying over them with the Wind Drake. I had a huge grin on my face the whole time.

I think I might try the super bosses and the post game dungeon little later, Undertale is calling.

Not sure if they kept this intact in the newer ports, but if it is, you should beat the final boss again leaving 1-3 party members dead by the end of the fight...trust me ;).

Blackdrazon

Vulpes Chronicler
Awards
Since everyone seems to have caught up with the end of the game, this is a great time for me to move on to related news. Marathon Recaps is... dubiously proud to present our coverage of Final Fantasy V's highly dubious OVA sequel!

THRILL! as the descendants of the heroes who defeated "Exodeeze" rally against the evil forces of "Deathgyunos" and his army of "Gynoids" and "topless ogre women!"

AMAZE! As I am given no choice but to address a quarter of the cast as "Team Rocket in cat-themed bondage gear!"

FEEL YOUR HEART WEEP as a small child is reunited with a long, lost human brain the size of a suburban home!

And definitely, definitely, do not watch Final Fantasy: Legend of the Crystals. It's not worth it. Read about it instead.

Marathon Gaming: It's safer here.™

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back