• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

News ► Dengeki Interview with Tetsuya Nomura: Farewell, Reaction Commands

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.

warmaster34

Why would it look lame? You don't even know, how it would look like.
Don't get me wrong, but which KH games did you play?

KH 1 didn't have RCs, and it still is a (more or less) good game.
KH CoM/Re:CoM didn't have them as well.
KH DDD did not have 'em as well. But it still makes fun to play it.

These were just examples. They were introduced in KH 2, and that game would also be fun without them.
KH
KH 2 KH 358 days birth by sleep and DDD and the way DDD did was pretty lame but I let that go because it was not a main title

Chaser

Not KHI Site Staff
Staff member
Awards
IIRC, the button prompts in Birth by Sleep was for blocking, linking attacks, and D-Links right? The bosses were mainly hack and slash?

KH
KH 2 KH 358 days birth by sleep and DDD and the way DDD did was pretty lame but I let that go because it was not a main title
DDD is the prologue of Kingdom Hearts 3. It's part 1 of the game.

warmaster34

How is it broken to play the game using strategy, dodging, the arsenal given to you, and not just waiting for a Triangle prompt to give you an advantage?

I'd much rather use my own timing to deflect the Rock Titan's hand. I don't want to be guided through that with prompts. If I get hit, it's my own fault for being too greedy with attacks and not dodging, or for not paying attention. If I do well with it then I feel good and rewarded.
it not about waiting lets say the laser attack you the reflected button should tell you this remember this going to still be rated E or E 10 so it has to have a something that tells the player when to reacted

Chaser

Not KHI Site Staff
Staff member
Awards
it not about waiting lets say the laser attack you the reflected button should tell you this remember this going to still be rated E or E 10 so it has to have a something that tells the player when to reacted
Or you can learn his strategy and recognise when he's about to unleash the laser, then press square or the Xbox equivalent to block the attacks.

If you're referring to that wall of lasers reaction segment, I personally hated that and am grateful we'll never get something like that again.

And finally, E or E10 has nothing to do with reaction commands.

Muke

whatever
Awards
lets say the laser attack you the reflected button should tell you this
I don't understand. You could just use Reflect-magic to, like, "dodge"? It was like that in all titles.
No button told you to dodge or something.

warmaster34

Or you can learn his strategy and recognise when he's about to unleash the laser, then press square or the Xbox equivalent to block the attacks.

If you're referring to that wall of lasers reaction segment, I personally hated that and am grateful we'll never get something like that again.
no thank you form what the trailer told us you still have no real control and even the trailer you showed me made me thing we still have reaction commends hopefully nomura changes his made since the game is still in development because what your saying is psychically impossible with out reaction commends

I don't understand. You could just use Reflect-magic to, like, "dodge"? It was like that in all titles.
No button told you to dodge or something.
yeah Reflect-magic is nice but it did not wow me it nice thing to use to destroy enemy but with reaction commands you felt like link killing a boss I felt that way at less now I feel like they wanna take that away and restrict my fun no way in hell do I want that one of my fave boss battles where the hydra I wanna have something like that again I was so hyped about this game not do not know how to feel

Chaser

Not KHI Site Staff
Staff member
Awards
no thank you form what the trailer told us you still have no real control and even the trailer you showed me made me thing we still have reaction commends hopefully nomura changes his made since the game is still in development because what your saying is psychically impossible with out reaction commends
It's physically impossible to dodge, block, or use reflect without reaction commands?
Okay but like don't expect to be cutting down buildings or having 20, 000 lasers being thrown at you. The game does feature destructible environments, whether it's caused by enemy or Sora. If it's Sora, then guess what, you can use regular commands to do so. It's not that hard to understand you can press a combination of buttons for Sora to break down a door.

As for them adding in RC because it's still in development;
4Gamer Interviews Nomura on KH3, Unchained x: Transformations, Development, Reaction from Overseas - News - Kingdom Hearts Insider
4Gamer: Even though you weren't able to announce the release date this time, how is development coming along?

Nomura: The gameplay and world assignments have been decided, and the foundations are already done, so now we are at the stage of putting our effort into all details.
Gameplay has been decided and added. No reaction commands for flashy attacks.

Awards

I am not sure what your ideal KH is and because of that I've just been confused watching this discussion unfold. I mean this with the utmost respect. Can you please, as clearly and concisely as possible explain what your ideal KHIII is and how Nomura's idea of an ideal KH clashes with this. Honestly I think all games can benefit from a little strategy but I think your analysis of the trailer is understandable in the sense that we can't see an actual user playing and see what is user controlled and what isn't.

warmaster34

I am not sure what your ideal KH is and because of that I've just been confused watching this discussion unfold. I mean this with the utmost respect. Can you please, as clearly and concisely as possible explain what your ideal KHIII is and how Nomura's idea of an ideal KH clashes with this. Honestly I think all games can benefit from a little strategy but I think your analysis of the trailer is understandable in the sense that we can't see an actual user playing and see what is user controlled and what isn't.
my Ideal KH game is pretty much II the best one

Launchpad

i remember the OLD khinsider
Awards
due to this thread, KINGDOM HEARTS III's gameplay has been changed to ONLY be reaction commands. You press triangle in intervals to progress through the entire game.

It still ends up being tougher than KHII.

BEASTENDER

Ha okay guys, I'm going to try to simplify this. The phrase, Reaction Command is dead as far as Kingdom Hearts 3 is concerned. It is no more (for this game anyway). The mechanic and concept however has never left. All a reaction command was was a timed button press that triggered an action, and that has been in every KH game since. That is alive and well in both trailers. It's just not one button anymore, it's much more balanced, you have a little more control, it has no name, and they are no longer spammable. The concept of not having 100% control of Sora at all times is still present, and all a reaction command was, was taking full control of Sora away for a brief moment, and giving the player and option to input.

So the name is dead (for KH3), but the mechanic is very much still here, just evolved; as it should, since it's been 10 years.

Last edited:

warmaster34

It's physically impossible to dodge, block, or use reflect without reaction commands?
Okay but like don't expect to be cutting down buildings or having 20, 000 lasers being thrown at you. The game does feature destructible environments, whether it's caused by enemy or Sora. If it's Sora, then guess what, you can use regular commands to do so. It's not that hard to understand you can press a combination of buttons for Sora to break down a door.

As for them adding in RC because it's still in development;
4Gamer Interviews Nomura on KH3, Unchained x: Transformations, Development, Reaction from Overseas - News - Kingdom Hearts Insider

Gameplay has been decided and added. No reaction commands for flashy attacks.
and so begin the down hill of the Kh franchise you think this a good idea but once you played it will be different there is reason KH II won so many awards KH III will not do that

Muke

whatever
Awards
my Ideal KH game is pretty much II the best one
Look, KH 2 is my favorite title in the series. (But I think, KH 3 will be that.)
But KH 2 is not the best one. That is just your opinion. KH 2 lacks many things.
Please don't get me wrong, I mean no disrespect.

warmaster34

Ha okay guys, I'm going to try to simplify this. The phrase, Reaction Command is dead as far as Kingdom Hearts 3 is concerned. It is no more (for this game anyway). The mechanic however has never left. All a reaction command was was a timed button press that triggered an action, and that has been in every KH game since. That is alive and well in both trailers. It's just not one button anymore, it's much more balanced, you have a little more control, and they are no longer spammable. The concept of not having 100% control of Sora at all times is still present, and all a reaction command was, was taking full control of Sora away for a brief moment, and giving the player and option to input.

So the name is dead, but the mechanic is very much still here, just evolved; as it should, since it's been 10 years.
if its something like hit X or square or [h=3]Triangle at the same time[/h]then I am fin with that and my hype is back

warmaster34

Look, KH 2 is my favorite title in the series. (But I think, KH 3 will be that.)
But KH 2 is not the best one. That is just your opinion. KH 2 lacks many things.
Please don't get me wrong, I mean no disrespect.
well the many awards it got say differently

Awards
and so begin the down hill of the Kh franchise you think this a good idea but once you played it will be different there is reason KH II won so many awards KH III will not do that

Bro, you are seriously overreacting to the point that it's becoming hard to understand. Stop freaking out, the guy that made KH1, KH CoM, KH2, KH 358/2, KH BBS, KH Coded, KH3D, in addition to FFVII and the rest probably knows a bit more about what goes into making a good, award winning game than you do. Calm your tits and if you don't want to buy the game then don't, but let the man work his magic, because the majority of fans would rather play a game he made than one that you made.

well the many awards it got say differently

You do realize every KH game he made was up for some award right. Not to mention his FF games.

due to this thread, KINGDOM HEARTS III's gameplay has been changed to ONLY be reaction commands. You press triangle in intervals to progress through the entire game.

It still ends up being tougher than KHII.

Best comment in this thread.

BEASTENDER

if its something like hit X or square or Triangle at the same time

then I am fin with that and my hype is back

Sadly, I think that is what Nomura is saying is gone. I want to say they won't be as cinematic, but looking at attraction flow, that's really all it is. The exact same thing minus the ability to continuously press the button non stop and get results. It's not like you use the analog ship to make the ship or train move in attraction flow, you sit there while the game acts out something that is pre-programmed, and things react to button presses. You don't have full control, and that's what reaction commands were. Even back in KH1, it was the same concept, it just didn't have the name "Reaction Command". You still press a button to attack, but just at the right moment. Just smashing the same button won't get you anywhere anymore.

But as you can see in multiple points in both trailers, the concept of pushing buttons at the right time is still very much there, and that's all a reaction command ever was, regardless of how long it lasted. The flaw in KH2 was for 96% of animations, you could spam the button and complete the attack. Now you can't do that, you have to time it. Unless the E3 2015 trailer showcased the full length of the Big Magic Mountain Attraction Flow, they won't be as long and "flashy" as they use to be either. But the concept and mechanic itself has been in every installment (except maybe chain of memories and X). And in the bigger titles like KH2, BBS, and DDD, they all had cinematic elements on top of it. I want to say those are gone too (well, I dont WANT to say lol, just trying to follow Nomura), but how can I looking at the Pegasus transformation. That's why I said, Wait, are they really even gone? And the answer to that, is No. The phrase/name, the spam, and the long cinematic flash (or so he says) are gone for this installment however.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back