• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

News ► Dengeki Interview with Tetsuya Nomura: Farewell, Reaction Commands

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.

BEASTENDER

I thought he was pretty clear here?

On a technical note. It's either, you watch the screen, or you push a button and watch the screen. I'm saying something like attraction flow is the exact same concept of a reaction command. Take the SDG shield attack from the trailer. Either, you sit and watch the entire time and they do everything automatically, or you watch the entire time and press a button at the right moment. I'm not seeing how these are different (one even sounds worse honestly). In both the D23 trailer and the E3 2015 trailer, during the Big Magic Mountain Attraction Flow, Sora attacks the Titan Hand. Either you sit and watch and he attacks automatically (which is literally doing nothing, which is what everyone said reaction commands were) or you press a button at the right moment to stop it. Either way, I don't think you're in full control during any of these, and that's basically what reaction commands were.

Unless you control the Train or Pegasus Keybade Transformation somehow (which I doubt), what we have is even "worse" as you don't do anything at all. And if you aren't fully in control of every movement, that means you're just pressing a button, which is what reaction commands were. So I was saying even though he says they're gone, I don't really see how they are at all.

warmaster34

wow what the hell was going through nomura head when he thought it would be a good Idea to remove reaction commands I feel really sad and empty right now :frown: next he is going to remove limit breaks DX COME BACK REACTION COMMANDS

rawpower

King of the Wild Frontier
Awards
I never minded reaction commands but I think as long as we have flow motion I'll be plenty satisfied with the flashiness of the battles. My guess is that while we're fighting bosses, if we do flow motion at a specific time in a specific spot something crazy might happen which is what he's referring to. But that thing with using the realistic shader for some of the worlds obviously means the return of Port Royal but will we finally get the Davy Crockett world I've been waiting for? Or maybe Swiss Family Robinson?

BEASTENDER

wow what the hell was going through nomura head when he thought it would be a good Idea to remove reaction commands I feel really sad and empty right now :frown: next he is going to remove limit breaks DX COME BACK REACTION COMMANDS

That's what I'm not understanding; how things like limits will function without pressing anything. Either everything is automatic and you have no control at all (which is what fans said they didn't like), or you're still pushing something to make it work. I just can't see him bringing Disney and FF allies back and not having collaboration attacks. I mean, we even saw one in the trailer. Either that was full auto, or someone pushed a button during the sequence to charge through the heartless after shielding.

Heartkeeper

Awards
I never disliked the reaction commands but I think is a good choice to remove them and make the combat system more skill based.

warmaster34

That's what I'm not understanding; how things like limits will function without pressing anything. Either everything is automatic and you have no control at all (which is what fans said they didn't like), or you're still pushing something to make it work. I just can't see him bringing Disney and FF allies back and not having collaboration attacks. I mean, we even saw one in the trailer. Either that was full auto, or someone pushed a button during the sequence to charge through the heartless after shielding.
are you sure about that :confused: I heard a lot of fans loved the reaction commend even more so towards the end I really hope he takes back what he said I am so sad right now :frown:

Chaser

Not KHI Site Staff
Staff member
Awards
I think the reaction commands where prompts appear on the screen are definitely out, like where you had to press triangle a million times to dodge Xemnas' attacks. Instead this has been replaced with a more challenging system where you need good timing skills, such as blocking at the right moment. I think that's where most of this confusion is coming from. They removed the large on-screen flashy reaction commands, but the stuff that was connected to limits and summons have been repositioned to normal button attacks (where your command menu can change to a limit-specific attack menu).

In regards to the train, it's probably a situation where the train is on a set path, but you have the choice of attacking. You can press X to throw the keyblade or you can choose not to. If you don't hit the hand at the right time, you lose HP, which is what I believe Nomura is referring to when he says "All actions will be based on good or favorable timing."

in other words less fun no thank you
How is the Gameplay of KH3 less fun because of no flashy reaction commands? They're giving YOU the power to perform those moves without relying on pressing Triangle at specific moments. You can summon Disney characters, use attraction flow, flowmotion, use a variety of Keyblade Transformations, limits with your team mates, and use magic that has greatly improved to affect the environments and link up with other attacks.

To me, KH3 sounds more fun because we can perform what would usually be reaction commands whenever we want, plus we have the biggest arsenal ever seen in the Kingdom Hearts series where each battle can feel unique because of the many ways you can complete it.

warmaster34

I think the reaction commands where prompts appear on the screen are definitely out, like where you had to press triangle a million times to dodge Xemnas' attacks. Instead this has been replaced with a more challenging system where you need good timing skills, such as blocking at the right moment. I think that's where most of this confusion is coming from. They removed the large on-screen flashy reaction commands, but the stuff that was connected to limits and summons have been repositioned to normal button attacks (where your command menu can change to a limit-specific attack menu).

In regards to the train, it's probably a situation where the train is on a set path, but you have the choice of attacking. You can press X to throw the keyblade or you can choose not to. If you don't hit the hand at the right time, you lose HP, which is what I believe Nomura is referring to when he says "All actions will be based on good or favorable timing."

How is the Gameplay of KH3 less fun because of no flashy reaction commands? They're giving YOU the power to perform those moves without relying on pressing Triangle at specific moments. You can summon Disney characters, use attraction flow, flowmotion, use a variety of Keyblade Transformations, limits with your team mates, and use magic that has greatly improved to affect the environments and link up with other attacks.

To me, KH3 sounds more fun because we can perform what would usually be reaction commands whenever we want, plus we have the biggest arsenal ever seen in the Kingdom Hearts series where each battle can feel unique because of the many ways you can complete it.
what your saying is not making any sense how the hack can you dodge something like Xemnas light sabers how can you reflect something like that bottun symblo with out something like that telling you or cutting buildings in half how do something like that on your own it makes no sense with out reaction commends

Chaser

Not KHI Site Staff
Staff member
Awards
what your saying is not making any sense how the hack can you dodge something like Xemnas light sabers how can you reflect something like that bottun symblo with out something like that telling you or cutting buildings in half how do something like that on your own it makes no sense with out reaction commends
You just don't put in dodging light sabers or cutting buildings in half? Those were examples lol, but I legit cannot think of any reasons why we would need to cut a building in half. That was in the part of the game where you never returned to because it was past the final save point. And in DDD it was done using Reality Shifts, a flashy unique form of reaction commands that was more interactive than Triangle.

Muke

whatever
Awards

Actually, what you're saying isn't making any sense. I personally liked the RCs, but in KH 3 you don't need them, because you don't rely on them anymore. Let's say, in KH 3 we'll again cut buildings in half. You do that on your own! It's not "press a button to do this" anymore.
I don't understand, how that could disappoint you.

warmaster34

You just don't put in dodging light sabers or cutting buildings in half? Those were examples lol, but I legit cannot think of any reasons why we would need to cut a building in half. That was in the part of the game where you never returned to because it was past the final save point. And in DDD it was done using Reality Shifts, a flashy unique form of reaction commands that was more interactive than Triangle.
in other words less fun I never liked the
Reality Shift in DDD was not that fun

Actually, what you're saying isn't making any sense. I personally liked the RCs, but in KH 3 you don't need them, because you don't rely on them anymore. Let's say, in KH 3 we'll again cut buildings in half. You do that on your own! It's not "press a button to do this" anymore.
I don't understand, how that could disappoint you.
and how do you do that on your own with out it looking lame

Last edited by a moderator:

Chaser

Not KHI Site Staff
Staff member
Awards
in other words less fun I never liked the
Reality Shift in DDD was not that fun
Yes, but you see they removed one outdated system, the reaction commands, and added in several new systems to replace it. We can only judge from the new footage, but from what I've seen, everything looks more fun than KHII's method of press triangle and just wait until you take control again. Now you can do a lot of things, and even during the "on the rails" parts, you it looks like you still have freedom instead of relying on triangle.
You can't see it in the recent video, but the D23 trailer shows Sora throwing the Keyblade whenever at the Rock Titan

[video=youtube;Pr9twjpM7gU]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pr9twjpM7gU[/video]

BEASTENDER

This is what I was saying. Moments like the Hydra Fight and Final Xemans Fight are gone, where you just stare at the screen and mash a button. Instead, things will require timing and skill like Nomura said ;"We are making it more challenging. All actions will be based on good or favorable timing". I think of XV. They aren't called Reaction Commands, but if you press the parry button at the right time, you'll be rewarded with a little counter animation. You can't trigger this by button mashing. And you couldn't always do that in KH2 either. Like when fighting Samurai Nobodies, or the First Xemnas. Like with Attraction Flow and Limits, they require some input, but you can't have full control over 2 characters at once. However, these were also reaction commands. This is why I said Reaction Commands and QTE's are not one and the same. If there were no input from the player, then you'd just be watching mini cutscenes, waiting for it to end. Like the Pegasus transformation. Sure it may be nice the first 15 or so times, but after that, you may get tired of just watching the same animation over and over. The same goes for attraction flow. One thing Reaction Commands had going for it is that almost every enemy in the game had it's own unique reaction command, which mixed things up.

Edit: At least, I thought we were on the same page before your edit lol. Again, a reaction command was simply pressing a button at the proper time. Meanwhile, you do not have full control of Sora. Some control sure, but most of it is limited to button presses. Attraction Flow and some Flowmotion Attacks like the Downward Spiral he did off the ice trail, you don't have full control over Sora. You watch, and button presses are your input. Not button mashing one, but you press one button at the correct times, which is exactly what a reaction command was to the core. That goes for limits and summons too. I'd fully welcome summons being full auto and truly fighting alongside you, but Limits involve more than Sora, and unless Sora just isn't a part of it, you have to press something to activate Sora's part of the limit. That or it's fully automatic, which is what he's basically saying it isn't. a QTE is not limited to one button, so if all you can do is press a button while you wait for an animation to finish, it's a reaction command. So, things like Big Magic Mountain and the Ship are no different than reaction commands from the past, and thus, are still in KH3 in some form; even if they are no longer called that. They are however better balanced, and non spammable.

are you sure about that :confused: I heard a lot of fans loved the reaction commend even more so towards the end I really hope he takes back what he said I am so sad right now :frown:

I've learned the majority of fans do, it's just the hardcore who don't. KH1 and KH2 are the fan favorites when it comes to all KH fans as a whole. But amongst the hardcore, it's almost always a game like BBS; which also had it's version of timed button presses, and many forms of spamming, glitches, abuse, and flat out invincibility. All KH games thus far have had their problems.

Last edited:

warmaster34

Yes, but you see they removed one outdated system, the reaction commands, and added in several new systems to replace it. We can only judge from the new footage, but from what I've seen, everything looks more fun than KHII's method of press triangle and just wait until you take control again. Now you can do a lot of things, and even during the "on the rails" parts, you it looks like you still have freedom instead of relying on triangle.
You can't see it in the recent video, but the D23 trailer shows Sora throwing the Keyblade whenever at the Rock Titan

[video=youtube;Pr9twjpM7gU]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pr9twjpM7gU[/video]
the thing is how will you know when

to get the timing right it needs to at less tell or your dead do you get what I am saying

Chaser

Not KHI Site Staff
Staff member
Awards
the thing is how will you know when

to get the timing right it needs to at less tell or your dead do you get what I am saying
That's what Nomura is talking about when he said it's more challenging. You need to be prepared, come up with a strategy, learn the patterns, dodge. You don't need a hand to guide you.

warmaster34

This is what I was saying. Moments like the Hydra Fight and Final Xemans Fight are gone, where you just stare at the screen and mash a button. Instead, things will require timing and skill like Nomura said ;"We are making it more challenging. All actions will be based on good or favorable timing". I think of XV. They aren't called Reaction Commands, but if you press the parry button at the right time, you'll be rewarded with a little counter animation. You can't trigger this by button mashing. And you couldn't always do that in KH2 either. Like when fighting Samurai Nobodies, or the First Xemnas. Like with Attraction Flow and Limits, they require some input, but you can't have full control over 2 characters at once. However, these were also reaction commands. This is why I said Reaction Commands and QTE's are not one and the same. If there were no input from the player, then you'd just be watching mini cutscenes, waiting for it to end. Like the Pegasus transformation. Sure it may be nice the first 15 or so times, but after that, you may get tired of just watching the same animation over and over. The same goes for attraction flow. One thing Reaction Commands had going for it is that almost every enemy in the game had it's own unique reaction command, which mixed things up.

Edit: At least, I thought we were on the same page before your edit lol. Again, a reaction command was simply pressing a button at the proper time. Meanwhile, you do not have full control of Sora. Some control sure, but most of it is limited to button presses. Attraction Flow and some Flowmotion Attacks like the Downward Spiral he did off the ice trail, you don't have full control over Sora. You watch, and button presses are your input. Not button mashing one, but you press one button at the correct times, which is exactly what a reaction command was to the core. That goes for limits and summons too. I'd fully welcome summons being full auto and truly fighting alongside you, but Limits involve more than Sora, and unless Sora just isn't a part of it, you have to press something to activate Sora's part of the limit. That or it's fully automatic, which is what he's basically saying it isn't. So, things like Big Magic Mountain and the Ship are no different than reaction commands from the past, and thus, are still in KH3 in some form; even if they are no longer called that.

I've learned the majority of fans do, it's just the hardcore who don't. KH1 and KH2 are the fan favorites when it comes to all KH fans as a whole. But amongst the hardcore, it's almost always a game like BBS; which also had it's version of timed button presses, and many forms of spamming, glitches, abuse, and flat out invincibility. All KH games thus far have had their problems.
so if I understand right its the really hardcore one who hate while the majority of fans love it do what in the heck is wrong with nomura then :confused:

Muke

whatever
Awards
and how do you do that on your own with out it looking lame

Why would it look lame? You don't even know, how it would look like.
Don't get me wrong, but which KH games did you play?

KH 1 didn't have RCs, and it still is a (more or less) good game.
KH CoM/Re:CoM didn't have them as well.
KH DDD did not have 'em as well. But it still makes fun to play it.

These were just examples. They were introduced in KH 2, and that game would also be fun without them.

warmaster34

That's what Nomura is talking about when he said it's more challenging. You need to be prepared, come up with a strategy, learn the patterns, dodge. You don't need a hand to guide you.
that dose not make sense that not Challenging it pretty that broken gameplay

Chaser

Not KHI Site Staff
Staff member
Awards
that dose not make sense that not Challenging it pretty that broken gameplay
How is it broken to play the game using strategy, dodging, the arsenal given to you, and not just waiting for a Triangle prompt to give you an advantage?

I'd much rather use my own timing to deflect the Rock Titan's hand. I don't want to be guided through that with prompts. If I get hit, it's my own fault for being too greedy with attacks and not dodging, or for not paying attention. If I do well with it then I feel good and rewarded.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back