• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

Cosplay and costume thread!

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS

impart

Climb The Sky
Revision #3
I decided I didnt like the finished product as much as I wanted, so I started over, and altered a fitted corset pattern.
Finished the bodys of two vests, one a size small, and one a size medium for my friend
I need to close and lace up the back, then make straps, then ill be done with these two, then ill make my boyfriends, which will be easy , I wont have to add boning or any of that to his.

anbutypetwome1_zps55054532.jpg

anbutypetwo2_zpsf8b46988.jpg

Annoyance

Silver Member
Awards
Website
twitter.com
Oh wow it looks great. owo
Do you have a deadline soon? Thankfully mine isn't until mid-May but I'm trying to set up a petticoat to go underneath the skirt of the dress with my mother. It didn't really fit right originally so she's tweaking it.

Last edited:

impart

Climb The Sky
Yeah, I was just about to ask you the same thing, what convention are you going to wear your dress to?

Im most likely going to AX so I dont need to finish until July
but my friend is coming over in a few days so id like to just give her the vest when I can, I just need to make straps for it
hopefully I can have all three vests pretty soon, just because I kinda feel like im in a groove, its good to get things done early
my first con I got about 2 hours of sleep, because i was still working on my props and stuff

My only dilemma here is that I need to figure out how to do bandages for the costume there are allot of options but I want to be able to reuse them, so im not positive on what I should do

Petticoats are smiled upon in cosplay from what I hear, just like the rule with wigs, I think there is one that is similar about always having a petticoat, im not too sure but my mom says they are easy to make, moms are good at ballerina tutu stuff like that

Annoyance

Silver Member
Awards
Website
twitter.com
Yeah, I was just about to ask you the same thing, what convention are you going to wear your dress to?

Im most likely going to AX so I dont need to finish until July
but my friend is coming over in a few days so id like to just give her the vest when I can, I just need to make straps for it
hopefully I can have all three vests pretty soon, just because I kinda feel like im in a groove, its good to get things done early
my first con I got about 2 hours of sleep, because i was still working on my props and stuff

My only dilemma here is that I need to figure out how to do bandages for the costume there are allot of options but I want to be able to reuse them, so im not positive on what I should do

Petticoats are smiled upon in cosplay from what I hear, just like the rule with wigs, I think there is one that is similar about always having a petticoat, im not too sure but my mom says they are easy to make, moms are good at ballerina tutu stuff like that
Oh wow I'd LOVE to go to AX I'm so jealous. ;A;
But I'm going to ACen here in Chicago so it's still a big con but not nearly as massive as AX.

I'm sure you'll get them done. owo

As for my petticoat yeah it definitely looks great with a petticoat, my mom is currently still trying to help tweak mine so it fits under the dress right. If not, it's no big deal, but I'm pretty sure my friend made it with petticoat in mind heh.

Shit I still need to buy a wig aaaaaai'll be fine ._."""

impart

Climb The Sky
ahh don't be jealous, Anime Expo has seriously gone downhill since they put that corrupt CEO in charge a few years back, there is allot of drama going on

SPAJA's relations with japan are bad, so they cant get many good Japanese guests,
pannels suck too
last year I bought an exhibit hall only pass because I honestly didnt think going to any of the pannels was worth a $45 badge, there was not much there at all.
they are pretty badly in debt to the LA convention center too

being the largest convention in the US, things like not getting good guests is inexcusable
im only going this year because I can get free tickets
but I think things are slowly getting better
im not sure whats going to happen, allot of people are predicting AX is in its last years because if their deblt, but I doubt that, since they get more attendees every year

tl;dr
AX kinda sucks

well, I dont know what character you are cosplaying so I dont notice that it needs a pettiecoat, I think it looks great on you like that.
and if you are going for a long wig, dont go with Arda, I hear their long wigs are wishy washy, sometimes they are good, sometimes they are not

epic cosplays wigs are nice and thck, but I only have experiences from those two sellers

Annoyance

Silver Member
Awards
Website
twitter.com
tl;dr
AX kinda sucks

well, I dont know what character you are cosplaying so I dont notice that it needs a pettiecoat, I think it looks great on you like that.
and if you are going for a long wig, dont go with Arda, I hear their long wigs are wishy washy, sometimes they are good, sometimes they are not

epic cosplays wigs are nice and thck, but I only have experiences from those two sellers
I know how that can be, two ACens ago someone damaged this glass panel at one of the hotels by throwing a vodka bottle off the balconies...
._. So they hiked up the price for badges...

I'm cosplaying Aranea Serket from Homestuck. The petticoat definitely isn't shown in the comic but I see it done a lot in fanart and whatnot. I wanted to make my cosplay stand out just a bit more, considering the massive amount of people that show up for the cosplay meet ups. Last year I didn't even get my picture taken as Vriska. *sobs* [but the vriska photoshoot picture was used in an interview with Hussie so...???]

june

oh yes finally a decent cosplay thread. :33

I've been cosplaying since 2008 if I remember correctly. The first one was a mess hahaha I didn't have a wig and used normal clothes to make Deidara. Then I cosplayed as Meiko from vocaloid. It didn't turn out bad, but I don't have any good pics from that one haha. Later I did Mizore from Rosario + Vampire, which was awful, LOL.

Only starting 2011 my cosplays have improved.

Spoiler Spoiler Show

Spoiler Spoiler Show

Spoiler Spoiler Show

Spoiler Spoiler Show

Spoiler Spoiler Show

Mistearea

Fear the Mist
Shifting through the spaces like only Mist can.
Never cosplayed before, but I do have a couple lined up for next Easter.

Vector from Resident Evil Operation Raccoon City: -In progress- I've got his pistol and that's about it. Airsoft gear is expensive. Other than that, I'm having trouble finding the mask and something to make the lighting effects for a low price.

Gendou Ikari from Evangelion: -In progress- I really just need the jacket and a wig. ...I need it since he has more hair than I do.

Annoyance

Silver Member
Awards
Website
twitter.com
oh yes finally a decent cosplay thread. :33

I've been cosplaying since 2008 if I remember correctly. The first one was a mess hahaha I didn't have a wig and used normal clothes to make Deidara. Then I cosplayed as Meiko from vocaloid. It didn't turn out bad, but I don't have any good pics from that one haha. Later I did Mizore from Rosario + Vampire, which was awful, LOL.

Only starting 2011 my cosplays have improved.

Spoiler Spoiler Show

Spoiler Spoiler Show

Spoiler Spoiler Show

Spoiler Spoiler Show

Spoiler Spoiler Show
Omggg I love your Kanaya! ;w; The dress is so pretty aaah.

And your Marceline looks great, too, how did you make that bass? I'm so jealous. I'd like to make a bass for my eventual Marceline as well.

Never cosplayed before, but I do have a couple lined up for next Easter.

Vector from Resident Evil Operation Raccoon City: -In progress- I've got his pistol and that's about it. Airsoft gear is expensive. Other than that, I'm having trouble finding the mask and something to make the lighting effects for a low price.

Gendou Ikari from Evangelion: -In progress- I really just need the jacket and a wig. ...I need it since he has more hair than I do.
Good luck! Just try to find each thing that you can. Try to make a checklist and just mark it off. Jackets are surprisingly hard to come by that's canon, so try to find one you can manipulate.

Right now all I need to do for my cosplays is finish my horns. I decided to cut out the petticoat I bought for my dress. It works just fine without the petticoat. I'm using PAX paint for the first time and I believe I got the right acrylic paint for it... but idk. PROGRESS.

Also, I painted a cardboard book I found at Joann's a year ago FINALLY to be my Mindfang journal for my Serkets. I'm really proud of it, even though it is kind of simple.

2zomdr6.png

It was my first time ever using a stencil. ._." I was so nervous.

Annoyance

Silver Member
Awards
Website
twitter.com
Update: I've almost finished my horns!!
;w; I'M SO PROUD OF MYSELF.

I used a different method than my last horns which were purely model magic. This time I used flower foam [like shit that you use for flower arrangements and stuff. dry planters foam to be specific.]

Basically you draw out the shape you want, carve it down to the basic shape. [a warning, DO NOT BE AN IDIOT LIKE ME AND NOT WEAR A MASK. IT IS NOT SAFE TO BREATHE ANY KIND OF PARTICLES. I was complaining about breathing problems for a week and I didn't realize it was this shit. Wear a mask!!]
Spoiler Spoiler Show

This is the basic shape I used for my Serket horns. They're still kinda blocky so I used the sand paper and my fingers and just rubbed them down to a more round shape.
Spoiler Spoiler Show
Then we get to the part that for some reason intimidated the diddly out of me. This is my first time using paper clay, and it actually turned out alright. They're drying at the moment, but, they look like this:
Spoiler Spoiler Show
Instead of being like Model Magic which is basically covering whatever base you're using, you just want to give your foam a paintable surface. At first I started covering the foam like I would model magic but it would not stick, so I followed my friend's advice and wet my hand and just rubbed it into the foam gently until it was all smooth.

Once these suckers are dry, I sand, maybe cover with more wet clay, dry, sand again, paint, sand, paint again, sand again, and mod podge when everything's perfect. Then attaching them to a drilled out headband.

this was a long post but moral of the story now that i know how to do this, i am definitely using this method for my next cosplays.

june

Omggg I love your Kanaya! ;w; The dress is so pretty aaah.

And your Marceline looks great, too, how did you make that bass? I'm so jealous. I'd like to make a bass for my eventual Marceline as well.

D'aww thank youu c:
A friend made me the bass using wood.

I still think it has to be larger. Doing Mindfang cosplay now?

Annoyance

Silver Member
Awards
Website
twitter.com
D'aww thank youu c:
A friend made me the bass using wood.

I still think it has to be larger. Doing Mindfang cosplay now?
Nah, these are for Aranea and Vriska. I'll probably do something more big for Mindfang in the future though.

These are DEFINITELY bigger than my last ones.

On another note I believe my next cosplay will be Fairy!Vriska and Dogtier!Jade.
I want to use the dog ears for an Amaterasu gijinka in the future.

Last edited:

Annoyance

Silver Member
Awards
Website
twitter.com
Oh hey me too girl owo

I don't have many pictures of myself, this one was kind of candid from my friend and my PAX paint was mixed improperly color wise so it shows [*sobs*] but whatevs.
375594_10201348486900155_1854685971_n.jpg

But yeah I have a good understanding of it now so I will use PAX in the future but... actually... mixed right. @n@

this is all i got for now because i can't get my pictures of me from my other friends but yeah will eventually post my Aranea pics later.

RTP49

i’m gay
Awards
so i went to ACen
snip
oh my god you're adorable

also any yall gaydoodilys going to ax??? i'd love to have a khi meet even if it only ends up being like 2 people+their crewWE COULD EAT VEGETARIAN KOGI FOOD TRUCK IF THEY HAVE IT THIS YEAR AND SKATE DOWN FIGUEROA STREET

Last edited:

Turn

(&#65417;&#9685;&#12526;&#9685;)&#65417;&#65374;&#
Awards
Website
flavors.me
I'm trying to make it this year, but no promises. :c

Annoyance

Silver Member
Awards
Website
twitter.com
Oops forgot to post my Aranea.
Spoiler Spoiler Show
Things I definitely need to improve:
- Using Ben Nye and PAX that match each other AND my grey tights. This is a must.
- Learn how to do eye make up and face make up correctly and more efficiently [I need to do this in general.]
- Not forgetting my sufferer's necklace in my hotel room... oops
- Figuring out what to do with my face
- Not stressing out so much during the con aaaaa

Things I'm proud of:
- The general look. The dress turned out great I'm so thankful to have the person I commissioned it from as a friend and mentor
- My journal
- My horns
- How the wig works and figuring out how to make it get on my head. I was having trouble with it previously and I got advice during the con from a very nice vendor. Though I should probably style the bangs.

But yeah definitely ups and downs. I'm still not 100% on this one but I'm working on it.

My next cosplays are going to be Fairy!Vriska and Dogtier!Jade from Homestuck, which I believe will be my last Homestucks for a while? We'll see.

I want to use the dog fangs and ears from Jade on my future dream cosplay of Amaterasu from Okami and probably more along the road.

Last edited:
Back