• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

Fanfiction ► Cirque du Mort

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.
Wow. I didn't think that that would happen. At all. That was an amazing chapter. Simply amazing. Once again I will ask, who fights next?

Professor Ven

The Tin Man
Awards
"You have a debt to pay." ;"By your leave, Mr. Nire!" ; Nire smiled. "Is that the best you got Mr. "You have a debt to pay"?"

Requiem glared at him, losing his characteristic cool. "I am not even trying."

"By your leave, Mr. Requiem."

Nice callbacks to PotC I see :toungesmile: ^^

Aqua

Wow, I found it to be an unexpected turn, but again, excellent chapter.

Last edited:

Merlin326

"The debt that all men pay"
"Duel of the Fates"
lol, great minds think alike, Jones. i've been thinking of useing those quotes myself. lol, now i have that song stuck in my head (kor rah mah tah, kor rah, ratamaaaaa).

anyway, good chapter again. sigh, i knew something like this would have happened sooner or later, but it still is kinda sad, another hero paying his debt.

anyway, i digress. go, write the next chapter. oh, almost forgot. good work once again.

i challenge you to figure out where this origionated from.

with all due respect,
Merlin326

R0ad H0g

Good chapter and short story. Only one problem, though. In the short story the doctor released a bacteriophage. A bacteriophage only attacks bacteria, not people.

Davy Jones

I Believe In Harvey Dent
Website
crashkid77.deviantart.com
Wow... Once again, I am EXTREMELY sorry for the wait in chapter-age. Once again, complications arose, ensued, and were not overcome. And once again, I beg your forgiveness and your continued patronage of the story. When we last left off, Nire had just been killed by the wicked Darth Requiem (if you didn't catch the Darth Maul allusion to his weapons, its out now). Next, we have funeral, the truth, and...

-*40*-​
The Fellowship of the Key

Iod was shocked. As he watched the Reflection assassin walk off of the field, he could only think that he had to be the most powerful person he had ever met.

Well, except for Helios.

This sudden turn in his train of thought raised the question that had been plaguing him all day. Where was Helios? The mechanic held a firm belief that the albino could not be killed by that Trisn brat; in fact, Iod felt that Helios couldn't die at all. So where was he? And where was Treble?

None of it made much sense at all the masterful engineer, but he quickly put the thoughts out of his mind. He gazed up at the darkening sky. Time passed differently here than it did in Willow Castle, but he theorized this was due to size, rotational, and gravitational factors. As the sun set, Iod decided to end the games for the day. It would probably take all night to clear up the boulders that now marked the temporary tomb of the keybearer, Nire.

Iod remembered back to the first meeting at Willow Castle. Helios had said that the keybearers were the only enemies that could stop him. "One down," he thought. He then turned on a microphone that was clipped to his collar and spoke into it.

"Champions, this marks the end of today's battles. Tonight, we shall remember the fallen warriors and feast to the victors. Tomorrow, the matches begin again. Please, move to the shuttles to go back to Willow Castle. Thank you, and good night."

*^^

The warrior's slowly filtered out of their various scattered seats. Requiem walked straight into the concourse from the battlefield. He paused for a moment and looked back at the mountain that he had created over his adversary. It was a shame that he had to kill such a fine warrior, but it was unavoidable. He turned back and continued on into the concourse. He reached into his coat, pulled out his mask, and put it on, whilst simultaneously humming his requiem. Once he had securely placed the mask on his face, he felt his mind turn away from the most recent death to one in his past. The memories were scattered as he went further back, but the recollection of deaths were all there, fresh as a field of edelweiss in a mountain hamlet. He remembered vividly her face, her cries, the blood, the killer.

"Akine..."

*^^

Dirst and Harmony were the last ones to leave the stadium, their eyes fixated on the mass of rock that covered their friend. Dirst suddenly realized that through all they had been through, he and Nire had barely known each other.

"I won't make that mistake with Harmony," he murmured.

Harmony didn't hear his words. Her mind was filled with depression. She silently wept for Nire. Dirst placed his arm around her shoulder to give her support. She put her head on his shoulder and walked with him. Dirst looked into her weeping eyes, hoping to feel the same sadness she felt. But all that he received was hatred. Hatred for Requiem.

His vengeful thoughts were interrupted by the sight of strange creatures moving the boulders. Their black bodies melted in with the shadowed rocks, but their bright yellow eyes were distinctly visible, glowing like a maleficent candle.

Heartless.

"NO!" Dirst shouted. Harmony jumped slightly at the sudden outburst. Dirst let go of her, ran down the stairs, jumped onto the battlefield, and dashed towards the Heartless. He summoned his keyblade, then charged the dark creatures. They all turned to look at him with their beady yellows eyes, wondering what to do. Dirst gave them no choice. He swung at the first one with great raging might, causing it to instantly explode in darkness. The other Heartless soon left their task of picking up the rocks and surrounded the keybearer. Dirst swung at the beasts in a mad whirlwind fury, releasing an immense spray of black vapor as each Heartless died. He swung and swung and yelled until every last one there was gone. Then, he ran to the pile of boulders and scrambled to the top. Upon reaching the summit, he began to push the stones away. Normally, this would have been a difficult task, but in his state of adrenaline rush, any feat was possible.

Boulders began to roll, down the mound, and after a few minutes the mountain had flattened out to a small plateau. In the middle of the boulders was the body of Nire, his once dazzling white body now battered and crushed under the weight of the stones. Dirst looked at the miserable figure for a moment, then he picked the body of his comrade up and carried him towards the concourse. He entered the tunnels and walked into the shuttle bay in a numb state. Once he reached the waiting shuttle, he carried Nire inside and placed him on a few seats in the back that were unoccupied. Dirst sat next to the body and noticed that Harmony was already on the shuttle and was now staring wistfully at her companions, one whose debt was settled and one who still owed.

*^^

The shuttle flight lasted only a few minutes. No one else seemed to care about the keybearer's predicament, save for Victor Xylek Winn. The robotics mogul walked to both of them and gave his sincerest apologies. Both nodded, but the condolences did not ease the pain.

When the shuttle arrived, Dirst doggedly carried Nire out of the shuttle, into the castle, and into the main hall. The body of Jors was already their, resting placidly on a bier in the middle of the hall. The members of Helios's entourage filed by the formally armor-clad body with reverence. One woman, whom Dirst remembered from the recognitions before the Cirque du Mort had begun as Tryllya, was trying to hold back tears for the canus warrior. Dirst also noticed another bier in the main hall, this one empty. Dirst walked over and gently placed Nire's body on it. He sighed from exhaustion as he rose back up, and then he held Harmony in an embrace.

Upon doing this, the doors of the castle flew open, and Qell-Hadr walked into the room, brandishing his staff. He wore a ceremonial robe, no doubt for his princely duties back on Yornzo. He proceeded to the biers and stood between them. Then, he began chanting in an inaudible tone and unintelligible language. As he did so, he maneuvered his staff in a series of spins and tricks as if in a trance. Suddenly, he slammed his staff into the ground. After he had done so, logs appeared around the biers. Qell-Hadr then stepped back and pointed his staff at the biers and whispered, "Duae Flammae." Instantly, two jets of flame flew forth, igniting the biers and their occupants.

Everyone watched as the flames danced wildly over the bodies, almost as if they were savoring a meal. The entire room was bathed in solemnity and the orange glow of the fire. Harmony hugged Dirst tighter, and Dirst returned the embrace. He began to think of something to say to Nire's spirit, but the only thing that came to mind was a song. Dirst felt the source of the tune ironic, but he nevertheless began to hum Requiem's requiem.

*^^

The magic flames soon burned away even the ash of the bodies. Qell-Hadr then raised his hands and shouted,"Exstinguo Flamma!" Every flame in the castle went out. After a minute of memorial in the darkness, Qell-Hadr shouted,"Lux!" The lights returned, and the funeral attendees began to disperse into the dining hall, where the feast would begin. However, three people remained in the room.

Harmony, Dirst, and Requiem.

The Reflection descended the staircase and stood across from the two Keybearers on the other side of Nire's pyre, or where it used to be.

"I am truly sorry," he said, with uncharacteristc lack of sarcasm or energy. The words seemed to ring true.

"You killed him," Dirst said, letting go of Harmony. "And I will kill you right now!" He summoned his keyblade, but Harmony grabbed him and stopped him. Dirst was shocked, but he said nothing as he saw the tiredness in Harmony's eyes. He sent away the keyblade and then turned back to talk to Requiem.

"Tell me," Dirst said. "What made you become an assassin?"

"It started out as one kill for vengeance," Requiem answered. "Soon, I was in murder up to my neck. I was good at not leaving a trace, so people began to hire me for hits. I couldn't get a regular job; I couldn't live with the deaths without a reason to kill."

"And who was the first kill?"

Requiem paused for a moment to think, then he continued. "A man named Wilkes. He was a thief, and during one of his robberies, he murdered an innocent shopper: my only love, Akine."

Dirst was going to say something, but he was at a loss for words. However, Harmony continued the interrogation.

"Why are you on Helios's side?"

"He offered me revenge against Fury, or Riku, as I now know him to be." Requiem then changed to another subject. "Helios is going after the Nexus Stone."

Dirst remembered his discussion with Riku about the Nexus Stone. The thought of the powerful gem in Helios's hands was a terrible image. "How do you know?"

"I don't trust Helios. So I spied on him. Somehow, he didn't know. He is probably heading towards Lotus Tower as we speak."

Harmony cut in. "Lotus Tower?"

"It is the place where the Nexus Stone resides," explained Dirst. "But he has to have a keyblade to get to it."

Requiem nodded. "He has to first go to the Impenetrable World to get the Genesis Key, which unlocks both the Nexus Stone and the Ragnarok Key."

Dirst was stunned. "So, Helios could already be in possession of it."

Requiem nodded. Dirst looked to Harmony, then at Requiem. "Why are you helping us?"

"To try and repent for all the evil seeds I have sewn in the universe."

"We have to stop him!" Harmony said forcefully, changing the subject.

"We'll leave right now," said Dirst.

"No," Requiem asserted. "Leave in the morning, after you've rested."

"I won't listen to you. You killed Riku and Nire!"

"I had to! It was a life or death struggle."

Dirst was about to attack when Harmony stopped him again. "He's right," she said begrudgingly. "We're in no condition to go as of now. We'll rest up tonight, or at least try to, and in the morning we'll leave. Who knows? We may even get the other keybearer, Trisn, to help us."

Requiem nodded. "Also, Sidrix may help you. He's got a keyblade and a grudge against Helios. But be as wary of him as you are of me."

Harmony nodded, then looked into Dirst's face. Dirst saw now not tiredness and sadness, but a renewed hope and resolve to persevere through and defeat Helios. Dirst capitulated.

"Alright. We'll leave tomorrow and try to get the others to help us."

Without further words, the keybearers and the Reflection parted ways. The two keybearers skipped the feast and went up to their rooms. The bade each other good night, then entered their rooms. Despite their emotional stress, they both fell asleep and slept well.

*^^

The next morning, the two keybearers met each other downstairs. Surprisingly, Trisn and Sidrix were already there, expecting them. Dirst and Harmony exchanged introductions with the other keybearers.

"So, we're after Helios right now?" Trisn inquired.

"Yes. We'll leave as soon as we can, which is right now," Dirst answered.

"No, we have another member to our party," Sidrix added, his voice eerily emotionless.

"Who is that?" Harmony asked.

"Requiem," Trisn answered.

Dirst and Harmony exchanged glances. The same thought ran through the minds.

"This can't be good..."

Merlin326

Wow... Once again, I am EXTREMELY sorry for the wait in chapter-age. Once again, complications arose, ensued, and were not overcome. And once again, I beg your forgiveness and your continued patronage of the story.

and once again, i tell you not to worry about it. truely dedicated readers will come back no matter how much time has passed (as long as they are aware of an update).

anyway, nice chapter once again. Requim is, if nothing else, an interesting character. for some strange reason, he reminds me of Xando.

i shall await your next chapter with the same patience, dedication, and anticipation i have had for the whole fic.

with all due respect,
Merlin326

Nojerom

Resilience
Website
www.facebook.com
Oh, boy, Requiem's coming, too? I thirst for the next chap already.

Merlin's right, he is interesting, if not slightly sad. It looks like his pain goes through all.
Hm....

Nice, Davy, as always.

Haku

<3
I didn't mind the long wait at all, its the very interesting storyline that keeps me interested and coming back for more. But otherwise I thought it was well worth the long wait.

Aqua

Amazing, amazing chapter. The chapters just keep getting more interesting. Definately worth the wait.

Davy Jones

I Believe In Harvey Dent
Website
crashkid77.deviantart.com
Feminae et viri, pueri et puellae! Venite legiteque hic novam fabulam! Euge! Nunc nos legimus!!! (the previous was in Latin. I did not use a translator- I am studying Latin).

-*41*-​
Genesis

Dirst, Harmony, Trisn, and Sidrix waited a full five minutes more for Requiem to come down from his room. The Reflection and Nobody paced around the main hall, silently thinking about the journey to come and the vengeance that would follow with it, like a storm surge with a hurricane. Dirst pulled Harmony over to one side to converse with her.

"Harmony," he began.

"What?" She softly whispered.

"If Requiem is coming along, then we'd better keep an extra keen eye out for betrayal. I wouldn't trust that conniving demon with anything."

"But we'll have to," Harmony said. "He's probably our most powerful ally, and when it comes to Helios we'll need him. " She paused, then smiled and added,"Besides, with you here I feel much safer."

Dirst smiled a bit, and then their conversation ended. He looked up to the lofty ceiling of the cavernous hall, thinking to himself that she was something special. As he gazed at the dust float through the rays of morning light streaming through the windows like flies buzzing on a summer's day, he began to reminisce; his mother, his father, his friends at the Celestial Convent. All seemed like a far off memory. He desperately reached back into his mind to reach those happy thoughts from happy days, but it was no use. It seemed the more he reached back, the farther the memories went.

He sighed, then returned his gaze back to ground level. He noticed a red coat pass behind a column on the second floor. He looked ahead of the coat's path to see a staircase down from that level. Then, Requiem appeared from behind the column and strode down the steps as if he were king of the castle. Dirst couldn't help but roll his eyes. Requiem caught the gesture, and a faint smile appeared on his face, slightly twisting the scar that ran across it.

"So good of you to join us," Sidrix spat, his characteristic chill prevalent. "Pray tell, what took you so long?"

"I'm a late sleeper," Requiem retorted.

Trisn couldn't help but smile at his fellow Reflections attitude.

"So, what's the quickest way to go?" Harmony asked.

Dirst shrugged his shoulders, as did Trisn. Requiem looked at Sidrix. The Nobody sighed, then pushed his hand out. Instantly, a small black dot appeared, and over a period of about two seconds it materialized into a dark portal. However, he quickly dismissed the portal.

"I can do that... show off," Trisn muttered.

Sidrix didn't pay attention to his words. The Nobody faced Requiem. "Where to?"

"The Impenetrable World."

"But you said he was heading towards Lotus Tower," Dirst said. "Why go to this Impenetrable World?"

"Because that's where the Genesis key is," Requiem said with mock frustration. "Funny thing is, you have to have a keyblade to access the Genesis key, so I suspect that Helios and Treble are still waiting for us there, seeing as neither were blessed with the ability to wield the keyblade."

Dirst grumbled, but nodded his agreement. Sidrix once again conjured up another dark portal. He motioned for the others to enter the portal. Trisn entered first, followed by Dirst and Harmony together. Requiem entered after them, looking at the couple and remembering his own love, his own weakness. Lastly, Sidrix entered. With no one left to support the dark portal, it collapsed and shrank away, leaving no trace of the keybearers whatsoever.

*^^*__-__*^^*

After about ten steps of walking through complete and utter darkness, Trisn walked out onto a white tiled courtyard, followed by Harmony, Dirst, Requiem, and Sidrix. The five studied their surroundings. They were on the edge of a tiled area. About ten yards away from them stood a massive monolithic building, on top of which floated and onion dome made of pure gold. The structure itself was of black stone, and a large opening existed in front of them shaped like a keyhole.

Requiem shook his head, then cursed. "They've gotten in."

"What?!" Dirst shouted. "Helios and Treble got in? I thought you said only a keybearer could get in there."

"Its true!" Requiem yelled in response. "They must have found a keybearer to get them in there!"

"How's that?" Trisn said, anger boiling within him.

"There used to be a portal to the Celestial Convent here," Sidrix broke in nonchalantly.

Harmony and Dirst froze in fear. What would happen if Helios took control of the Celestial Convent? What massacres would their friends there face?

Sidrix continued. "But it died the day Sora used it to go there. No one knows why..."

The weight fell off slightly, but paranoia had already gripped Dirst and Harmony. They tried to shake it off as best as they could.

"So, what do we do?" Harmony asked.

"We have to go in, and if they're there, we confront them. If not, then we hightail it to Lotus Tower."

There were murmurs of agreement all around, and they strode into the keyhole and into the dark depths of the tower. Once all were inside, the keyhole closed, revealing a yin-yang shape in its place. Despite the lack of an obvious exit, the keybearers and one assassin felt no fear. They studied the dark space, noting that the floor they stood on was a stained-glass mosaic depicting the head os eleven people, spiraling towards the central head. Trisn's was on the outer edge, Sidrix's was near the inner area, and the most central two were Helios's and Treble's. The four heads glowed with magical radiance.

"Wait a minute," Trisn said, thinking out loud. Everyone turned to face him. "Only the ones on this floor who are actually here are glowing."

"So, Helios and Treble are somewhere in here," Dirst replied.

"We've got to find a way up," Harmony said.

As if by magic, a spiral ramp appeared around the room, corkscrewing straight up into the dark reaches of the monolith. Without wasting words or time, the five ran onto the ramp and up through the levels of the castle. It seemed to them that the ramp spiraled out of the structure on the outside, but it was hard to tell with the lack of any light or distinguishing features. However, after about fifteen minutes of uphill climb, the group found themselves suddenly under the onion dome on the top of the monolith. The breathed heavily for a minute or two, then regained their composure.

"So, how do we get in there?" Trisn asked.

Requiem studied the floating onion dome for a moment, then pointed to a small but distinct keyhole at the base of the dome. Dirst, seeing the keyhole as well, quickly summoned his keyblade and aimed it at the keyhole. A beam of light streamed forward, entering the keyhole. Then, a section of the dome came down, and a small stair case opened out of that. The five climbed the stairs onto a marble platform. When they all reached this platform, the staircase disappeared, and the section of the dome began to raise back up. Everyone drew their weapons without being told. As the dome piece reconnected with the hole, they saw the forms of two men, on with greying hair dressed in a black suit, and one with pure white hair dressed in a pure white suit. The albino man held a strange looking key, admiring the grotesque shape of the object. He calmly turned to face the newcomers with a smile on his face.

"Oh, its been to long," Helios said. "Let me guess. You, Requiem, betrayed my location, and you, Sidrix, conjured up a dark portal to bring them here, and you, Trisn, found out that Treble and I were here, and you, Harmony, conjured up the ramp, and you, Dirst, unlocked the dome section."

The group was taken slightly aback at Helios's knowledge of their endeavors.

"But don't worry. Your work is all for not. I have the Genesis key, Treble, and an ace in the hole."

The keybearers and Requiem walked up to him, weapon's ready for a conflict.

"And what is that?"

"A keybearer underling who is quite powerful and quite obedient. Now, if you'll excuse me, I have to be going. I have a universe to conquer, you know."

Dirst and Trisn were fed up with his talk. The two ran forward, brandishing Lightside and Darkside respectively. Helios smiled his sadistic smile, then vanished. Treble quickly pulled out his gatling gun, ran a line of shells into it, and began firing. They both ducked low, and Treble stopped firing. Then, Helios's laugh came from behind them.

"Ah, and now I have a hostage."

Dirst and Trisn turned to see Requiem and Sidrix knocked flat and Helios holding Harmony with the Solar Rapier at her kneck.

"Good day, gentlemen. One more move, and I will slit my sunshine's throat!"

Dirst, Trisn, and Requiem capitulated, not wanting Harmony's demise. Sidrix, however, didn't care. He quickly through his keyblade at Helios, who just as quickly deflected the spinning projectile. Then, he pressed the blade further into her neck, and he disappeared, along with Harmony. Dirst turned around to see Treble disappear through a dark portal.

"We've failed," Trisn moaned.

Merlin326

another good chapter, Jones. but out of curiosity, what does your latin sentence(s) mean in english?

anyway, good job again. i am quite curious about who this 'Keyblade weilder' might be and why he/she is working for Helios. Hope to find out soon.

with all due respect,
Merlin326

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back