• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

Can't anyone write with decent grammar anymore?

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.

RueLi

Website
dnangelsora.deviantart.com
Okay, so I've just finished looking over some 20+ college level reports (from fellow classmates) to correct for grammar.
And, OH MY GOD, can't anyone write decently anymore?
I don't know how many times I had to correct people on silly little things like:
their, there, they're and to, too, two.
Contractions and punctuation are carelessly thrown around.
(Not that I expected anyone to know how to use a semicolon, anyway)
Don't even get me started on using numbers instead of prepositions. 2 = to, 4 = for.

I mean, come on!
At least use SpellCheck to save yourself the embarrassment, won't you?

Is it really that common to find papers written like this nowadays?
Please tell me that I just imagined the last hour of horrid grammar...

Last edited:

Lancelot

It's the only NEET thing to do.
Awards
It absolutely annoys me to extremes as well when I'm constantly having to correct people; and it's even worse when they don't take any of it it at all. It seems that it is just the way that everyone seems to be, completely careless about proper use of spelling and grammar. I think they really need a good kick up the behind sometimes

Aucune Raison

DARLING SO THERE YOU ARE
They used numbers? Really? ahahaha

They are products of public schooling, so I'm not surprised about the their/they're/there to/too/two confusion.

Tell me, is it a Community College?

RueLi

Website
dnangelsora.deviantart.com
They used numbers? Really? ahahaha

They are products of public schooling, so I'm not surprised about the their/they're/there to/too/two confusion.

Tell me, is it a Community College?

It's an art school.
But considering that most of these people had to right a lengthy essay to get into this particular school...I don't even know what to think anymore.

edit: Oops. I said "right" instead of "write." Hah! I laugh at myself for being a big fat hypocrite. Save yourself the time.

Last edited:

Aucune Raison

DARLING SO THERE YOU ARE
It's an art school.
But considering that most of these people had to right a lengthy essay to get into this particular school...I don't even know what to think anymore.

Gasp!

Well, an art school, that doesn't surprise me. They also had more time to work on the entry essay and assumedly felt more obligated to proofread.

Mistearea

Fear the Mist
Shifting through the spaces like only Mist can.
Ragione said:

I somewhat resent that remark. Sure there are times that I make mistakes, but I always try to correct them if I see them. And that's comin' from someone who went to a public school all his life and in the American south no less!

Anyways, I can understand the semicolon problem. I've always had trouble with somethin' like that. But what's really bad, some teachers actually give assignments to where the students HAVE to use text speak. I'm glad that I never had to do that... I'd have died for sure for gettin' a bad grade for usein' proper grammar!

And just to let y'all know, I type in my own dialect.

Cissy

Bronze Member
So far I have yet to see grammar as a problem among my classmates, or at least to the extent of substituting "to" with "2". Generally that's understandable when texting or engaging in casual conversation over the internet, but for a report that's going to be graded....not so much.

Wow, I laughed at myself a whole lot.
I just shot myself in the foot for that, didn't I?
To your credit, it wasn't like you were writing a report or anything. Though the timing was appropriate.

K

Kegluneq

I write my best here! - exclamatory sentence :lol:
Semicolons are only for when commas are used to often, right? - interrogative sentence :cool:

Awards
We're actually allowed to use text language in our finals here.
We have a shitty system though, so it's 'kay.

K

Kegluneq

I think you should practice formal grammar anyway. Gives you the upper hand. :lol: No offense of course.:tongue:

Cissy

Bronze Member
Oh that's cool.
Not that second thing though.
I think.

Eee, I can't believe I recognized you that quickly.

Aucune Raison

DARLING SO THERE YOU ARE
I somewhat resent that remark. Sure there are times that I make mistakes, but I always try to correct them if I see them. And that's comin' from someone who went to a public school all his life and in the American south no less!

Anyways, I can understand the semicolon problem. I've always had trouble with somethin' like that. But what's really bad, some teachers actually give assignments to where the students HAVE to use text speak. I'm glad that I never had to do that... I'd have died for sure for gettin' a bad grade for usein' proper grammar!

And just to let y'all know, I type in my own dialect.

Just because they were a product of public schooling does not mean that everyone from that system is that way. What I meant was that people who ARE that way were never set straight.

Ragione is an elitist prick. Who knew?

Actually, no, i'm not.

neokumamon

Sadly, good grammer is something fast disappearing from an alarming amount of pepole except those who still have enough common sense to use it or pepole who pepole who are not lazy enough to use text talk.

Wow that is surprising. I've never heard a school allow that before. How many of your classmates actually wrote their finals like that?

very differentiable
Awards
less people are good at it and i admit, i could do better. However, they used to lower a score on papers for every mistake in grammar and spelling but that's not such a great thing. You woud spend more time on the language then the content, which is not the goal of a paper.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back