• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

Can Kingdom Hearts 3 Benefit from the Next Generation of Hardware?

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.

Lenneth

Awards
well, its kind hard to say something...This hardware's things it not for me. What always matter Its the story...I can take bad graphics and fights against the gameplay itself...

Wehrmacht

cameo lover
Awards
The worlds being empty is a huge problem that has been around in all the games. It makes them rather duller to go through then they should be for such fantastic and magical locales. I'm not even sure if they ARE going to address in the future unless KH fans specifically complain very very loudly about this issue.

Monkey

dick to a lot of people
Awards
Website
twitter.com
The worlds being empty is a huge problem that has been around in all the games. It makes them rather duller to go through then they should be for such fantastic and magical locales. I'm not even sure if they ARE going to address in the future unless KH fans specifically complain very very loudly about this issue.

Ya, good point. That's partially why I am writing about it. Hope it gets some traction and attention.

ajmrowland

Keyblade Master
Awards
Even so, the latest titles barely get any TV advertising (or so I notice). just for shits and gigs I sit down and watch disney channel with my sister the week before a new game comes out and I see/hear maybe one or two commercials in 6 hours

in any case, I think 1.5 is gonna get exposure at E3 unless it's released in April or something like that, but we'll see.

On a side note, I will be appalled if we don't hear anything about localization by the end of February, or at the very least by the time it's announced in Japan.
yeah, but they're portable. How many 3DS games individually get much advertising in comparison to Darksiders II or Hitman: Absolution? they're still running Assassin's Creed 3 commercials two months after the game's release! Those have been on comedy central, and their website too, so I've seen them a million times for all three.

What you said actually supports the fact that huge console blockbusters get more advertising and that's all the more reason for 1.5 to be advertised at E3 this year rather than/in addition to 2.5

padlock

Awards
I think Squenix has given up on western marketing. At least at E3. With the age of the internet among us, and fan translators doing all the work for free, they know they are appealing the the core fanbase, without actually needing to appeal to the core (western) fanbase.

Angel

number one fan of teresa giudice
yeah, but they're portable. How many 3DS games individually get much advertising in comparison to Darksiders II or Hitman: Absolution? they're still running Assassin's Creed 3 commercials two months after the game's release! Those have been on comedy central, and their website too, so I've seen them a million times for all three.

What you said actually supports the fact that huge console blockbusters get more advertising and that's all the more reason for 1.5 to be advertised at E3 this year rather than/in addition to 2.5

I've done this for KH2 as well. I saw maybe 3 ads in a month, which is always why i ran to the TV when Sanctuary came on- it was a rarity.

Awards
It would be cool to see a 10,000 Heartless battle. And not just two kinds of Heartless either. Or, have a challenge with 100,000 Heartless.

The AI problem was adressed a little in KH3D. I noticed that some of the Dream Eaters would back away when I swung at them. While not a big thing, it is a step in the right direction. For KH3 they could have enemies that actually counter when you missed them. Or they would use something like the "reverse" reaction command.

The lack of NPC's has been an issue for a long time. And while I can understand it in the recent handhelds. There would be no excuse on the next gen consoles. It would a good way to put in side quests, like in Final Fantasy games. And the worlds wouldn't feel as empty. Especially if the worlds are as big as they are in DDD.

For combat, I really don't know what to expect. I know there are some reservations about deck commands, but they have become somewhat of a staple since BBS. They could have two menus like in KH2. Have deck commands on one, and summons, items, and drive forms (if they're brought back) on the other. And as others have suggested, have magic commands use MP and attack commands have a recharge time. If they bring back flowmotion, I would like more customization optioins, instead of the locked moves in DDD.

Last edited:

Terarded

people should seriously stop whinging about kingdom hearts taking so long. and the people that expect there to be a trailer by the end of the year? pfft

first of all it has been stated they wont start kingdom hearts 3 until ffversus13 is released, and i could easily see that taking another 2 years at least. then they would actually have to START kingdom hearts. and kingdom hearts isnt some crappy call of duty game that they can simply make in a year, kingdom hearts has content story and fun meaning it could take years in itself to make.

basically i would bet my bottom dollar that the ps4 will be released before kingdom hearts.

on another note, i really hope they dont change the gameplay too much for 3. i mean look at the halo series, the first two were good and as soon as it moved to the next generation they started focusing on things like graphics and online play and took all the fun out of it. i just really hope they dont change the overall gameplay, just improve upon it.

Oracle Spockanort

written in the stars
Staff member
Awards
Website
twitter.com
first of all it has been stated they wont start kingdom hearts 3 until ffversus13 is released

That statement was made years ago and shouldn't be taken as fact now considering the state Square Enix is in at the moment with focusing their energy on getting XIV 2.0 completed.

and i could easily see that taking another 2 years at least. then they would actually have to START kingdom hearts.

You never know. Osaka seems to be pretty busy with a few projects.

SoraroS

Awards
Is KH3 coming after FFVersus XIII ?? and after FF Lightning Returns? I think Nomura stated that he didn't want to make KH3 in an handheld... so we might get it on PS3 or XBOX360 depending on the year its finished! (First message, yay!)

D

Deleted member 87467

The current generation of home consoles definitely opens a lot of doors for the franchise.

I'd personally prefer they focus on the detail put into each world. Things like more dynamic lighting, more side-quests, NPCs, and maybe even a day/night cycle could be implemented that could increase the immersion in the game.

As for Gummi Ships, I've missed them. I had endless fun heading to Cid's so I could get the latest part, and put it on my ship. The dive system lacked the ability to personalize experience, and that irritated me.

To address the debate of command deck vs action menu, I think square could utilize the best of both worlds. Have an action menu with a section dedicated to commands.

I guess all I can do is hope for the best and trust Square's judgement. :smile:

ajmrowland

Keyblade Master
Awards
I've done this for KH2 as well. I saw maybe 3 ads in a month, which is always why i ran to the TV when Sanctuary came on- it was a rarity.
touche. I didnt really see any tv ads outside of the one that was on Disney Channel at the time, but I didnt pay attention to commercials anyway. And I gotta ask, how many commercials on average does one see in a year for a major Japanese game localized?

Monkey

dick to a lot of people
Awards
Website
twitter.com
Is KH3 coming after FFVersus XIII ?? and after FF Lightning Returns? I think Nomura stated that he didn't want to make KH3 in an handheld... so we might get it on PS3 or XBOX360 depending on the year its finished! (First message, yay!)

More then likely KH3 and Versus XIII are going to be developed simultaneously, by different teams. Nomura can certainly provide input to multiple games at once.

Welcome to the forums! Hope to see you around. :)

Aurablade77

I feel as though it would be great if Square and Disney can work their magic the best they can to create better immersion with the newer consoles, I would just be perfectly happy if KHIII will simply be a great game in of itself. I'm not looking for a drastic new change graphically, so long as KHIII will be a KH game. One example I can explain this with is Sly Cooper Thieves in Time for PS3. My other main concern is the decision they will make regarding what console will have KHIII. I disliked very much how hardcore KH fans had to buy a new video game system to really "follow" the series. It went from the PS2 leading to the GBA then back to PS2 then on Nintendo DS, then the PSP, then the 3DS, and now for the 1.5 HD ReMIX, PS3. That is a lot of transitions @__@. For this reason, it would be most logical for them to simply bring KHIII to the PS3, as the HD ReMIX(and eventual 2.5 HD ReMIX?) will be on PS3?? Also given the fact that Kingdom Hearts started on the PS2. Please Square, do not make me go buy another console.

birthbysleep86

Website
www.facebook.com
I loved reading about this. I also noticed that the Behemoths never made it into KH2. I still have the original trailer. I assumed they just took them out and left them in for the Japan version I didn't know they scrapped them all together. They has also taken out the flying heatless when they zoom out in the end to see the heartless army. I was actually disappointed when I saw there was no Behemoths.

I am hoping in KHHD Re:Mix 2.1 they will add all the things they originally scrapped in the end. What I am looking forward to in the new hardware upgrades is how life like Sora, Riku and Kairi and other characters will look. I am actually afraid of how the lifelikeness of Sora will clash with the cartoonness of Goofy, Donald, King Mickey and other Disney characters. Cause lets face it Disney is Cartoons and Final Fantasy is Anime to me two very different genres. I am afraid they will clash and look fakelike. To be honest though I am die hard fan of Kingdom Hearts so I will love it no matter what.

I am also looking forward to the improved worlds. Not only more areas to explore but also more worlds. I agree that the worlds in KH2 where a little lacking especially the Pride Lands. I want to see more interaction with plants animals packs running around the Pride Lands like the dog monsters running around in packs in Final Fantasy XIII on the Gran Pulse. I also like the idea of side missions in Kingdom Hearts. I think you get to know the towns people and the worlds better, not only by exploring it but by doing missions for the characters living in the worlds. Playing the Kingdom Hearts games for the first time I talked to everyone I saw. Now I know they have nothing important to say, when I play the games again I just pass by them. Having side missions would cause the player to interact with people in the worlds more and give them a reason to talk to them again when and if they decide to play through the game again. I would also like to see item exchange missions like in Zelda: OOT where u had to trade other items to get one big item e.g. The Big Goron Sword. Another world I though was lacking was the Mulan's world. I loved seeing the hundreds of Huns on the top of the hill ready to attack in the movie. Then seeing just a thin row of weak flying Heartless was a little anti-climactic. I honestly felt no threat.

Something I would also like to see in the improved worlds is definitely more original Disney characters. Like in Beast Castle, where is Gaston? When I first saw Kingdom Hearts 2 trailer and saw Beauty and the Beast world I was honestly looking forward to kicking his butt with the Keyblade but in the end there was no Gaston nor was there Bell's father. My favorite world of all Halloween Town was missing a lot of is citizens. Are we to believe that Halloween town is inhabited by just Jack, Sally, Mayor, Dr. Finkelstein, Lock, Shock, and Barrel? No, I really wanted to see the witches the vampires for most blood drained in a single evening:redface: the Corpse Kid and other citizens. Totally off topic for a second can I just say a KH game just doesn't feel the same with out Halloween Town.:cool: Now in Olympus Coliseum, I would have loved to have gone up and explored more on mount Olympus and been able to chat with the Zeus and the other Gods. Yes I know that these characters weren't an integral part to the plot but I would still like to see them.

I don't know about you guy but I like the original Disney stories. In Kingdom hearts they get changed a lot. Back to the Coliseum. I found the story a little lacking. I really wanted to see instead of Herk turning his back on Phil it would be Sora and Meg came to Sora just as Sora is about to leave the world and tell him the situation about Herk. That would have at least been more closer to the story. Don't get me wrong I loved the new stories but I just wish they would stay a little closer to the original Disney stories.

ajmrowland

Keyblade Master
Awards
To be fair most anime outside cg doesng exactly look lifelike. They look like, well cartoons. And its not lkke disney doesnt do amazing looking cgi. This has been the biggest concrrn and best left to one of the other topics.

Delsan

Killjoy Hillington
Awards
Personally, when KH does eventually make it to next gen hardware, I wouldn't want the graphics to be like the CGI intros and outros. I think it should stay the same, as it has resonated in every game so far. The change in graphical style will undoubtedly be strange, and seeing the Disney characters in CGI is just plain weird.

I hope they use the next gen hardware to improve the atmosphere of the worlds, like the OP said. I'd like the worlds to be more populated, and feel less empty as it had with all the games so far. I also agree with the OP in saying that the AI's could add to extra sidequests for more replay value. And--no doubt--the worlds should feel more vibrant and stay true to classics. The possibilities of being on next gen hardware is endless, and I really hope Square takes this approach in the right direction.

Phantom Knight

"That’s right, the Behemoth’s never made it into the final battle, likely due to hardware limitations."

Well now we know what 2.5 needs to do.

Jadentheman

Bronze Member
At this point we're reaching a transition into next gen. I'm confident that KH3 will be on the PS4. VersusXIII will be out (if ever) worldwide at some point in 2014. After that most mainstream developers will be headfirst into the Nextbox and PS4. With that hardware it would be so much easier to either begin development on that or just port the VersusXIII engine to PS4. I like to play KH3 at a nice graphical setting at a steady 30fps at 1080p (even in 3D), not sub-HD and cinematic framerates on ancient 360/PS3.

Even if KH3 is currently being developed secretively it won't be out till 2015 at the latest. And having a AAA game on what is already considered outdated (8 year old hardware) in 2-3 more years is nothing short of :X Believe me many developers are seeing the constraint of current gen and IMHO VersusXIII will be nerfed to fit the PS3. All your predictions on what can happen on PS3/360 are short sighted. I rather take an extra one to two more years and see it on hardware capable to give it the vision you all want. Have the HD remixes on PS3 to bring it back home to Sony, but have the end on PS4 to create the home run.

Before you all start to cite some things remember Assassin Creed has issues on current gen hardware. Assassin Creed 3 had some major issues. Skyrim has issues on PS3, looks like shit on 360. Far Cry 3 has issues. Also I know Gen 5 of Pokemon was on the DS, but Gen 5 was quickly rushed through and Gen 5 was also in development before the 3DS got a final development kit.

You will also cite FF for PS2 when PS3 was released, but that was in a year time span of the release. My guess is Versus is taking that spot. I really love to see KH3 running sort of like Agnis's Philosophy. Maybe not as lifelike, but certainly enough power to bring those CG like Disney characters out and blend in as a whole.

Last edited:

ajmrowland

Keyblade Master
Awards
Personally, when KH does eventually make it to next gen hardware, I wouldn't want the graphics to be like the CGI intros and outros. I think it should stay the same, as it has resonated in every game so far. The change in graphical style will undoubtedly be strange, and seeing the Disney characters in CGI is just plain weird.

I hope they use the next gen hardware to improve the atmosphere of the worlds, like the OP said. I'd like the worlds to be more populated, and feel less empty as it had with all the games so far. I also agree with the OP in saying that the AI's could add to extra sidequests for more replay value. And--no doubt--the worlds should feel more vibrant and stay true to classics. The possibilities of being on next gen hardware is endless, and I really hope Square takes this approach in the right direction.

I keep saying it's not necessary for all the Disney characters to look like they do in CGI. In fact, they really can take advantage of making the disney characters and worlds look more like the movies than they have in past games. They dont have to look so much like the FMVs, just that Sora, etc. would look a bit closer to that. There is actually a lot more detail and lighting to the art in Disney movies than in KH thus far.

But yeah, the worlds themselves should be improved.

At this point we're reaching a transition into next gen. I'm confident that KH3 will be on the PS4. VersusXIII will be out (if ever) worldwide at some point in 2014. After that most mainstream developers will be headfirst into the Nextbox and PS4. With that hardware it would be so much easier to either begin development on that or just port the VersusXIII engine to PS4. I like to play KH3 at a nice graphical setting at a steady 30fps at 1080p (even in 3D), not sub-HD and cinematic framerates on ancient 360/PS3.
Dude, on the average size big screen*HDTV* you're not gonna notice a difference between "sub-HD" 720p and the now barely HD 1080p(try blowing that up on a movie theater screen. it wont look nearly as glamorous) most people dont, not even on a mounted screen and projector. especially when the 720 is upscaled. 480 upscaled is subhd for sure, but not that.

And 30fps is actually half the framerate the series has had up to this point, why would you really want it lower?

I know technology moves fast. Trust me, I upgraded my gaming PC components to at least 2009-11, but PS3 and 360 are hardly dinosaurs

I'm sorry if I sound rude, but posts like yours kinda irritate me. I know what's wrong with current technology, but people who always wanna move to the next big technological step tend to be blind to any negative consequences it has on people and even though I love computers and technology and enjoy working with it and on it, that "need" to move forward irritates me sometimes. Nothing against you. My reaction is really "what's the rush?". It's only gonna bring about more "realistic" games which in turn is only gonna make the limitations that much more apparent and people like us are still not gonna be entirely satisfied and PC exclusive bigots are gonna keep hatin' consoles. Really aside from a few more realistic behaviors in crowds and NPCs(admittedly good for AC and KH), better textures, underutilized hardware and control gimmicks, and an even bigger push for live action style blockbuster games, what do you really think is gonna change about the industry? I hate to sound jaded and I didnt sleep last night, so forgive me. I dont hate by any means where the gaming industry is, but there is something of a vicious cycle it seems. We'll hype it up a little bit, and I'm a sucker for some hardware hype, then when it gets closer to release people will start criticizing the launch lineup, and then more console wars will come, and it'll be impressive for a while but then within a year people will be wishing that more could/would be done and within another year, we'll start looking forward to the next big piece of hardware and it'll rinse and repeat.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back