• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

Birth of KH Story... Is it true?

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.

ForbiddenMemory

Website
www.youtube.com
I remember reading a story/rumour years ago that the birth of Kingdom Hearts was when a head executive of Square Enix (Squaresoft back then) and a Head executive of Disney walked into an elevator and when they walked out they devised "Kingdom Hearts."

Please tell me if this is true or not.

and... if it is/isn't what is the full story?

I found this quote from Tetsuya Nomura:

"It is common knowledge that a chance meeting in an elevator between Square Enix and Disney people where the beginnings of an idea for a game came about, but Tetsuya Nomura also has commented on another aspect that influenced the creation of Kingdom Hearts."

In an interview conducted in Japan, which touched upon his favourite games and other such things, Nomura stated:

."..Super Mario 64 had a big influence on me. We used many of the fundamental elements in Kingdom Hearts. As for the purest experience as a player, it's the Tekken series. Every time a new entry in the series comes out, I play it until I've beaten it with every character"

And another quote from an Executive of Square Enix (SQUARESOFT, back then):

"The idea for Kingdom Hearts came about when producer Shinji Hashimoto met with a Disney executive in an elevator; Square and Disney had previously worked in the same building in Japan. The production team was composed of over one hundred members from both Square and Disney. The game began development in February 2000 and originally focused more on the gameplay with a simple story to appeal to Disney's target age range. After executive producer Hironobu Sakaguchi told director Tetsuya Nomura the game would be a failure if it did not aim for the same level as the Final Fantasy series, Nomura began to develop the story further. When choosing the Disney worlds to include in the game, Nomura and his team tried to pick worlds that had distinctively different looks. They also tried to take into account worlds with Disney characters that would be interesting. Though they had few restrictions on which worlds they could use from the Disney franchises, they tried to remain within each character's boundaries set by their respective Disney films."

Last edited:

Lumine

When your Mask falls, what will you see.
Awards
Never heard that before but lolz dat wud be an amusing fact if true XD

Attemisc

That would be interesting, but noooo, lol. Definitely not true.

Kingdom Hearts was thought up by Tetsuya Nomura back around 1997 when he was doing the character designs for Final Fantasy VII. Definitely not an executive. And back then, he hadn't thought of involving Disney. They didn't get involved until much later.

ForbiddenMemory

Website
www.youtube.com

"It is common knowledge that a chance meeting in an elevator between Square Enix and Disney people where the beginnings of an idea for a game came about, but Tetsuya Nomura also has commented on another aspect that influenced the creation of Kingdom Hearts."

In an interview conducted in Japan, which touched upon his favourite games and other such things, Nomura stated:

."..Super Mario 64 had a big influence on me. We used many of the fundamental elements in Kingdom Hearts. As for the purest experience as a player, it's the Tekken series. Every time a new entry in the series comes out, I play it until I've beaten it with every character"

"The idea for Kingdom Hearts came about when producer Shinji Hashimoto met with a Disney executive in an elevator; Square and Disney had previously worked in the same building in Japan. The production team was composed of over one hundred members from both Square and Disney. The game began development in February 2000 and originally focused more on the gameplay with a simple story to appeal to Disney's target age range. After executive producer Hironobu Sakaguchi told director Tetsuya Nomura the game would be a failure if it did not aim for the same level as the Final Fantasy series, Nomura began to develop the story further. When choosing the Disney worlds to include in the game, Nomura and his team tried to pick worlds that had distinctively different looks. They also tried to take into account worlds with Disney characters that would be interesting. Though they had few restrictions on which worlds they could use from the Disney franchises, they tried to remain within each character's boundaries set by their respective Disney films."

WilliamTheWise

Oh right, I can change this....
Website
earltheandroid.tumblr.com
I remember reading a story/rumour years ago that the birth of Kingdom Hearts was when a head executive of Square Enix (Squaresoft back then) and a Head executive of Disney walked into an elevator and when they walked out they devised "Kingdom Hearts."
Basically.
Square and Disney share the same building in Japan (I think, I could be wrong) and the two executives began talking and bam, Kingdom hearts
Mickey was supposed to be the main character though, not Sora.

Yeah basically what WilliamTheWise. Square and Disney had previously worked out of the same building at one time. Shinji Hashimoto and a Disney Executive got to talking in an elevator and that is where the idea that would become Kingdom Hearts came from.

Raz

i'm nobody
Staff member
Awards
That would be interesting, but noooo, lol. Definitely not true.

Kingdom Hearts was thought up by Tetsuya Nomura back around 1997 when he was doing the character designs for Final Fantasy VII. Definitely not an executive. And back then, he hadn't thought of involving Disney. They didn't get involved until much later.
Um, no. It's pretty much true.

pgerv12

If i remember correctly Tetsuya had an idea to do an Action RPG type game with such and such but the idea, yes, came when executives meet in an elevator but it was only a silly idea until it was mentioned and the later producer of KH said it could work and Tetsuya was asked and was intrigued.

Idk i'm kinda assuming with somethings on this but it makes sense

roXas_shadow

Interesting!!! I wondered how Kingdom hearts came about.

Orion

Prepared To Die
Awards
I've heard of the story, but for some reason I used to think Nomura did it while drunk :\

Firagex

If they were able to come up with a smash hit game with only seconds on an elevator, they'd be geniuses, actually either way they'd be geniuses, they made Kingdom Hearts!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back