• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

TV ► Better Call Saul "it's never holding me back again"

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.

Chuman

Dad of Boy
Awards
Re: Better Call Saul "you're a chimp with a machine gun"

this show gives me feelings. 10\10 season slow buildup to dope payoff. we know how jimmy became Saul now don't we

king_mickey rule

The Great Destroyer
Awards
I liked the finale, but it certainly wasn't the best episode this season and was actually pretty anti-climactic. I also felt some things in the last couple of seasons were rushed. I guess it's a nice set-up for next season, but yeah: expected more of this.

With that said: the episode looked and sounded great. "If I get another B, we're gonna have a real problem here." is one of my favourite lines.

Hero

See You Space Cowboy!
Awards
Yeah, the scene where he kept pulling out B's was super cringe worthy. It was really hard to sit through that. I could really feel the pain Jimmy was going through.

But yeah, the finale was kind of disappointing. It kind of seemed out of character for Jimmy to just nope out at the last second. That whole scene felt odd. I was expecting the guy he ripped off at the Chicago bar to be one of the lawyers wanting to hire him.

Chuman

Dad of Boy
Awards
wow you were disappointed? it sowed the seeds for seasons to come and did a great job of transitioning him from the honest road to the saul we know and love.

Taochan

Administrator
Staff member
Awards
But yeah, the finale was kind of disappointing. It kind of seemed out of character for Jimmy to just nope out at the last second. That whole scene felt odd.
Well, it was obviously because of his friend dying and Chuck pretty much calling him a scumbag.

king_mickey rule

The Great Destroyer
Awards
Well, it was obviously because of his friend dying and Chuck pretty much calling him a scumbag.

Well.

You see, I was expecting the exact opposite to happen. His friend died during committing a crime. Had he not been a "scumbag", he might've been saved. But no one could help him because even in his last moments, he still needed to satisfy his own selfish needs.

With Jimmy being in such an insecure spot in his life where he does not know who he really is (a scumbag or a righteous person) and having shown obvious preference to righteousness (he even went as far as saying that his clients needed him), I was expecting him to take the offer and try to prove Chuck wrong. Either that or he'd back off and start thinking about who he truly is supposed to be. But in the finale, he not only backs away from the offer, he takes a decision on his place in life and practically gives up.

That, in my head, doesn't make much sense. The way I see it he's way too soon to take an actual decision.

Taochan

Administrator
Staff member
Awards
Well.

You see, I was expecting the exact opposite to happen. His friend died during committing a crime. Had he not been a "scumbag", he might've been saved. But no one could help him because even in his last moments, he still needed to satisfy his own selfish needs.
I'd agree, if he hadn't said it was the happiest time in his life. He hated his "straight and narrow" job and lived for the con.

With Jimmy being in such an insecure spot in his life where he does not know who he really is (a scumbag or a righteous person) and having shown obvious preference to righteousness (he even went as far as saying that his clients needed him), I was expecting him to take the offer and try to prove Chuck wrong. Either that or he'd back off and start thinking about who he truly is supposed to be. But in the finale, he not only backs away from the offer, he takes a decision on his place in life and practically gives up.

That, in my head, doesn't make much sense. The way I see it he's way too soon to take an actual decision.
Well, when he's walking up to the court house he fidgets with the ring from his friend and that's when he makes his decision.

Hero

See You Space Cowboy!
Awards
My issue with the finale is that Jimmy's decision was rather rash. That's highly unlike him as he's a very methodical person. So while his friend hated his "straight and narrow" job and lived for the con, he died as result of needing to satisfy his own selfish needs. Jimmy narrowly escaped death once, so I don't think he's eager to face it again. There simply wasn't enough info there for Jimmy to do a complete 180.

It also goes against the character growth he went through during the episode. Even after fooling around for a week, he was still mature enough to realize he needed to go back to New Mexico.

king_mickey rule

The Great Destroyer
Awards
My issue with the finale is that Jimmy's decision was rather rash. That's highly unlike him as he's a very methodical person. So while his friend hated his "straight and narrow" job and lived for the con, he died as result of needing to satisfy his own selfish needs. Jimmy narrowly escaped death once, so I don't think he's eager to face it again. There simply wasn't enough info there for Jimmy to do a complete 180.

It also goes against the character growth he went through during the episode. Even after fooling around for a week, he was still mature enough to realize he needed to go back to New Mexico.

This. Exactly my thoughts.

The doubts he had were understandable and it would've been logical for him to start doubting his place in life right there. But the issue begins when he gets back into his car and says what he says to Mike. The fact that he already makes a decision is not logical. Now, it would've been semi-fine if it wouldn't be for that last shot where he's clearly smiling, making things look really final and decisive.

What I'm saying is: the seed's just been planted, but it was far too soon for a plant to bloom.

Now, this rash move might show that Jimmy is just more impulsive than we initially thought, proving that it could in fact be logical for him to make such a rash decision, something next season might expand upon. However, within the context of the finale and the character growth he's gone through this entire season, it's not really a logical thing to do imo

D

Deleted member 36435

Saul has never been a methodical person. Throughout Breaking Bad and Better Call Saul most of his decisions and plans have been made up on the spot and/or the result of high pressure. While in Breaking Bad he did serve as a bit of a compass for Walt/Jesse when it came to ensuring what they were doing wasn't going to completely blow up in their face, as soon as the pressure was on Saul cracked. ie: When Jesse's storms his office in Season 5B, he basically breaks down and reveals his hand so to speak. Saul can make plans, but any divergence throws him completely off.

Also, Marco didn't die due to anything Saul did, or anything we saw in the episode. He was clearly already sick in some way shown by his persistent cough the entire episode.

Chuman

Dad of Boy
Awards
I thought I was the only one who noticed the cough. and tbh, I think jimmy said fuck it because, after spending the whole season trying to do right by chuck, it blew up in his face so he decided to be the person he always was inside and prove his brother right.

king_mickey rule

The Great Destroyer
Awards
Saul has never been a methodical person. Throughout Breaking Bad and Better Call Saul most of his decisions and plans have been made up on the spot and/or the result of high pressure. While in Breaking Bad he did serve as a bit of a compass for Walt/Jesse when it came to ensuring what they were doing wasn't going to completely blow up in their face, as soon as the pressure was on Saul cracked. ie: When Jesse's storms his office in Season 5B, he basically breaks down and reveals his hand so to speak. Saul can make plans, but any divergence throws him completely off.

Also, Marco didn't die due to anything Saul did, or anything we saw in the episode. He was clearly already sick in some way shown by his persistent cough the entire episode.

We're talking about Jimmy here, though. Not Saul. It's hard to resist taking Breaking Bad into account and saying "we know who he is", but in reality he still has a long road ahead of him to become that guy. Like you said, he often takes rash decisions and there are bits and pieces of Saul in him already, which we've mainly come to know as "Slippin' Jimmy", but he's obviously had a sense of morality throughout the season as well, which he seemingly threw out the window in those last couple of shots.

And about Marco: even though Jimmy didn't have a hand in Marco's death and Marco didn't do anything in particular to die in the first place, you would think it would leave a bad taste in Jimmy's mouth when it comes to crime or anything crime-related.

Again, with him having been the righteous guy he's been throughout this season, his last action feels out of place. I feel like he needed more, an extra push as it were, to come to that particular conclusion.

Last edited:

Chuman

Dad of Boy
Awards
We're talking about Jimmy here, though. Not Saul. It's hard to resist taking Breaking Bad into account and saying "we know who he is" but in reality he still has a long road ahead of him to become that guy. Like you said, there are bits and pieces of Saul in him already, which we've come to know as "Slippin' Jimmy" but he's obviously had a sense of morality throughout the season, which he seemingly threw out the window in those last couple of shots.

And about Marco: even though Jimmy didn't have a hand in Marco's death and Marco didn't do anything in particular to die in the first place, you would think it would leave a bad taste in Jimmy's mouth when it comes to crime or anything crime-related. Again, with him having been the righteous guy he's been throughout this season, his last action feels out of place right. I feel like he needed more reasons, an extra push as it were, to come to that particular conclusion.

He was fiddling with Marco's ring, after his death and taking the high road failing him so many times, that was his push saying"what am I doing? This isn't me". I'm surprised it took him that long to move into place. now I'm anticipating the inevitable glimpse into the present next season.

Taochan

Administrator
Staff member
Awards
I think you guys are underestimating the impact a friend's death can have.

Chuman

Dad of Boy
Awards
I think you guys are underestimating the impact a friend's death can have.

That's what I've been saying. he was turning the ring back and forth, probably taking into account what Marco would have wanted when he split.

Zen

Silver Member
Awards

No, it doesn't. The whole episode was about Jimmy remembering the person he was. This season in general was about Jimmy's struggle between falling into old habits, and doing the right thing. The person he was vs the one he's trying to be.

Has he done the right thing in certain situations? Sure, but he's also done shady shit. Then take into account that the reason he became a lawyer was to be someone Chuck could be proud of. Once that's gone, and once he realizes what's been missing in his life through Marco, then it's a no-brainer.

...but he's obviously had a sense of morality throughout the season as well, which he seemingly threw out the window in those last couple of shots.

Did we suddenly forget the whole thing with the skaters? Taking a bride from the Kettlemans? Doing that stunt on the billboard for publicity?

I mean, yeah, he *eventually* gave the money back, but only when he felt forced to. But again, the reason he's been taking the high road was for Chuck.

And about Marco: even though Jimmy didn't have a hand in Marco's death and Marco didn't do anything in particular to die in the first place, you would think it would leave a bad taste in Jimmy's mouth when it comes to crime or anything crime-related.

That's not at all what I would think. Marco didn't die because he scammed people therefore Jimmy has no reason to have negative feelings towards doing illegal things. The real takeaway from his death was that he died happy, doing what he loved doing, with a close friend. Could Jimmy say the same thing if he died at that moment? Probably not.

Scenes like the bingo ones accentuate how boring, and not fun his life has been. I think he realizes this once Chuck is no longer a driving force for his identity; hence why he ends up back in Cicero and stays for a week doing what he does best.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back