• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

Autism

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.

Twilightheaven

Twilight Warrior of the Stars
Awards
I was diagnose with a low case asper's syndrome at the age of 5 and i am feeling greatful that it does not entirly effecting my lifestyles.

stephaknee

Hakuna Matata
Autism can affect alot of things. It can affect your speach because of the way someone who has autism's mind works. And if people knew you were saying sister when you said gitger then why should you have had speech class? Instead of trying to make the child with autism perfect in everyway, let's let them be theirselves.

You don't "grow out" of autism. It's like saying, "I had bipolar but now that I'm *random age* now so I no longer have it". No it's not the way it works. You have autism now, you'll always have autism. There's nothing wrong with that though. Having autism just means you are awesome because you're not like everyone else.

Btw, define "normal".

Actually, 10-20% of children diagnosed with autism will "outgrow" their symptoms.

Random Queen

Queen of Crazy World
Crazy World. Population: Who gives a fuk?
link

Yes, they do outgrow the actual disability.

1) The link isn't working for me or my mom.

2) My mom found on several web doctuments that they CAN'T outgrow autism and the is NO cure.

My 9 year old brother has it as I said before, and he has improved but has not showed any signs of outgrowing it. And he has a mild case of straight autism.

stephaknee

Hakuna Matata

1) The link isn't working for me or my mom.

2) My mom found on several web doctuments that they CAN'T outgrow autism and the is NO cure.

My 9 year old brother has it as I said before, and he has improved but has not showed any signs of outgrowing it. And he has a mild case of straight autism.

The link works fine for me. Try refreshing?
But some more links because your mother apparently can't use google correctly.

Can children with autism recover? If so, how? [Neuropsychol Rev. 2008] - PubMed Result
Researchers See Recovery From Autism
Child Health - Can Children Recover from Autism? | Health News

Wintertide

Sp00ky GuRl
Awards
Today, I was paying a Baseball game and we had to have the special kids play with us. Some of them were autistic. They seemed so happy. They even helped us win the game. I mean the are not really different from people. I support.

Random Queen

Queen of Crazy World
The link works fine for me. Try refreshing?
But some more links because your mother apparently can't use google correctly.

My mom was alive when the net first came out in the 90s so I'm pretty sure she has like loads of experiance with google.

And that's completely a load of bullshit because I've lived with my brother for the 9 years he's been alive!

My mom said that she's been studing autism 9 years and there's NO VALID study that there is a cure.
So plz just stop talking about this because there is no point in arguing with me, trust me on that.

stephaknee

Hakuna Matata
My mom was alive when the net first came out in the 90s so I'm pretty sure she has like loads of experiance with google.

And that's completely a load of bullshit because I've lived with my brother for the 9 years he's been alive!

My mom said that she's been studing autism 9 years and there's NO VALID study that there is a cure.
So plz just stop talking about this because there is no point in arguing with me, trust me on that.

I presented you valid research that said with intensive therapy, these kids overcame autism. I'm a neuroscience student at a very large research institute, and I study and research with professors who know a lot more than you about autism, so yes, I can argue. Trust me on that.

And just because your brother hasn't recovered doesn't mean it's impossible. You completely disregarded valid research done within the last few years; so all the research your mom has done in the last nine year means next to nothing because autism hasn't even been studied thoroughly until recently.

Wintertide

Sp00ky GuRl
Awards
If you can recover from Autism, that would be all over the news and there would be a cure. But sadly, there is not. Besides, that page was from last year. Autism has no real cure. all you really can do is just have therapy to make it better.

stephaknee

Hakuna Matata
If you can recover from Autism, that would be all over the news and there would be a cure. But sadly, there is not. Besides, that page was from last year. Autism has no real cure. all you really can do is just have therapy to make it better.

It's not considered a cure because they're not exactly sure what caused the recovery. They're analyzing the fMRIs taken of the autistic children who did not fit the diagnosis of autistic anymore. It's not like they do this therapy with everyone and they all recovered; 10-20% of children will recover from autism. Hell, it's even on the goddamn wiki page.

Learn to read the sources before you try to argue anything.

Random Queen

Queen of Crazy World

THANK YOU!

And stephaknee, your word means nothing here anymore! Autism has been researched since the 50s, so you don't have an arguement really. You can get theropy to IMPROVE autism not cure it. And you working with researchers don't mean shit. Researchers can come up with theories but most of thm remain theories. And don't you dare say you have more experiance with this then me. I have LIVED with someone with Autism and still live with him. That makes you less experianced then me. So you need to either shut your fucking mouth about this subject of autism being cured because it hasn't happened and never will or get the hell out of my thread because your rudeness not only to me but about my mom and brother.

Twilightheaven

Twilight Warrior of the Stars
Awards
Even if there is a cure for autism, i do not think the people who has it would use it because it might change their life styles or a part of who they are.

Nyangoro

Break the Spell
Awards
It's not considered a cure because they're not exactly sure what caused the recovery. They're analyzing the fMRIs taken of the autistic children who did not fit the diagnosis of autistic anymore. It's not like they do this therapy with everyone and they all recovered; 10-20% of children will recover from autism. Hell, it's even on the goddamn wiki page.

Learn to read the sources before you try to argue anything.

You can "improve" autism to the point that it's a non-issue in some cases with the "lesser" degrees of autism (IE, the 10-20%), but that doesn't mean you are cured from it. It just means that the tests indicated that they could be considered to be not autistic anymore (function in normal society, basically). At any rate, while it's fantastic for those that do recover, it doesn't do much good for the remaining 80%.

For example, my sister has progressed TREMENDOUSLY compared to when she was younger. However, her autism is still at an advanced level.

Random Queen

Queen of Crazy World
Even if there is a cure for autism, i do not think the people who has it would use it because it might change their life styles or a part of who they are.

Thank you as well!

Plus why try to making kids with autism exactly like us anyway. It's stupid. We all would get a better understanding if we stopped doing that.

Edit: That's what I'm trying to tell her. You can't cure it, but improve it with proper theorpy and stuff.

stephaknee

Hakuna Matata
THANK YOU!

And stephaknee, your word means nothing here anymore! Autism has been researched since the 50s, so you don't have an arguement really. You can get theropy to IMPROVE autism not cure it. And you working with researchers don't mean shit. Researchers can come up with theories but most of thm remain theories. And don't you dare say you have more experiance with this then me. I have LIVED with someone with Autism and still live with him. That makes you less experianced then me. So you need to either shut your fucking mouth about this subject of autism being cured because it hasn't happened and never will or get the hell out of my thread because your rudeness not only to me but about my mom and brother.

See my previous post. I never said it was cured, I said studies have shown that people have recovered from it. And I was just correcting you when you said when you have autism, you have autism for life. Which, like I've been trying to say, is not always the case. And I'm not even going to bother explaining to you why you dealing with one autistic person does not trump research over a broad autistic spectrum.

And to nevermore, it didn't improve to "lesser degrees" it improved to the spectrum of a normal, non autistic person. Direct quote: "Fein said that the children that were in her study “really were” autistic and now the children are “really not.”"

Nyangoro

Break the Spell
Awards
And to nevermore, it didn't improve to "lesser degrees" it improved to the spectrum of a normal, non autistic person. Direct quote: "Fein said that the children that were in her study “really were” autistic and now the children are “really not.”"

No, that's not what I meant. I meant that the ones that recover likely had a "lesser degree" of autism at the beginning, then improved to the point where they could be considered recovered.

stephaknee

Hakuna Matata
No, that's not what I meant. I meant that the ones that recover likely had a "lesser degree" of autism at the beginning, then improved to the point where they could be considered recovered.

Profile of one of the children:

"Among these children was Leo, a boy from Washington, D.C., who once never made eye contact, who echoed most words spoken to him and often spun around in circles, all classic symptoms of autism. Today, he is an articulate and social third grade student, and his teacher calls him a leader."

Wintertide

Sp00ky GuRl
Awards
I do not trust Wiki.
I sometimes help the Special ones at my school for volunteer hours.
Some I have known since Elementary.
I have one friend that used to be really bad but know it seems like she has improved greatly.
They can improve but they can never fully recover.
Unless its mild you can get help to make it look like it doesnt exist but it will always be there. I mean autism can be seen in your brain scans ( or MRI's).

Either way I do hope they wold find a cure for the severly autistic ones and also down-syndrome. Just like the cure for cancer.

Nyangoro

Break the Spell
Awards
Profile of one of the children:

"Among these children was Leo, a boy from Washington, D.C., who once never made eye contact, who echoed most words spoken to him and often spun around in circles, all classic symptoms of autism. Today, he is an articulate and social third grade student, and his teacher calls him a leader."

I'm not saying they didn't have autism. I'm saying that they likely recovered from a lesser degree of autism. Not making eye contact, spinning in circles, and echoing words don't tell me much of the degree. The eye contact thing goes either way, echoing words is common, and even regular kids like to spin in circles on occasion. They are symptoms of autism, but they don't tell me how severe the autism was (just that they have it).

It's similar to things like ADD and OCD. They can recover to the point where they can function well in normal society, but they still have the disorder.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back