• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

Atheism vs. Religion

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.

Schweppes

In that little space inside my head where anime ch
Master T said:
I don't like donating money to charity (hypothetical). Does that make it wrong?

I suppose it depends on the person. I don't care if you donate or not, so I don't think it's wrong.

Those two statements conflict each other. The first one states that the people around you influence it rather than yourself, while the second suggests otherwise. Which one is it?

You can choose if you agree with the person's opinion on right or wrong or not, so you still decide.

mz. eggsy

http://j.mp/jIANdM
Awards
Website
www.youtube.com
Hollow Bastion said:
Society chooses what is viewed as right and wrong.
*makes finger/gun gesture*

Boo yah.

Going even deeper, I would think that figures in high power influence society's dictation on virtues and virtue-ethics. Hitler would be a popular example. If you go back, former society influenced that individual to think that way, so it's really one big cycle of influence. I only wish I had more to bring to the table on this discussion.

Anyway, I think I kind of strayed from this vague topic's mission, so are there any questions anyone would like to discuss?

mz. eggsy

http://j.mp/jIANdM
Awards
Website
www.youtube.com
Square Ninja said:
Did Hitler truly influence the German public, or did he just amplify their views?
Why would the entire German public have a dormant enmity for the Jews in the first place, if the latter is true? Perhaps Hitler just had a slick tongue for persuasion?

People are egotistical, so I guess it can be said true when Hitler amplified views, just perhaps not the hatred of the 'brews.

Phoenix

Legendary Member
Awards
Hitler shared german views, but to an extreme. He just woke 'em up and got them on his side.

Square Ninja

"special recipe"
Website
www.classicgaming.com
To understand the 1930's-40's Anti-sematism, you must look at how Prussia became a world power prior to the turn of the 20th century. The kaiser at the time (I forget his name.) saw all of these industrious Jewish people in surrounding countries, so he decides to give them land if they come to Prussia. Thanks to the Jewish workers, Prussia thrives. After awhile, the kaiser, for some reason, decided that he didn't need the Jews anymore, so he started to kick them out and many left the state. The lack of those workers during World War I was seen to be partly to blame for Prussia's defeat. That is what caused the Anti-sematism in Germany. It laid dormant until Hitler started stirring up the pot, so to speak.

Alaude Drenxta

\+The Devil's+/ .{Advocate}.
MaserT said:
If there is no divinity, what praytell, dictates what is right and wrong?

Supposedly this is what we have a conscience and ethics for. Although I enjoy my claim that I have no conscience. :p But truthfully, it's all down to culture. Where and how we are brought up affects how we see certain things, it's all based off of our conditioning, whether natural or otherwise.

Rather than arguing you should just ignore each other and get on with your lives.

Some, if I may not claim many, religions frown harshly upon those who do not try to convert non-beleivers. These religions are self preservant in that the members are either convinced to beleive or are forced.

RiseAgainst said:
I am also an atheist, I think that the people back in medievel times made it up so that they could get some kind of power alongside the government

To some point this is what I beleive, but also I have acknowledged other efforts behind it, some less selfish and malicious. Benevolent efforts have also backed many religions on many occasions.

Noblethe3rd said:
So the truth is, if you base you beliefs on science, you are more towards scientism

I don't beleive scientism so much to be a religion as a philosophy, as is confucianism. I'd better define religion as a spiritual beleif standing. But then again this is simply my opinion.

Noblethe3rd said:
Some people don't want to accept that we really are just random occurances in the universe and that we are utterly insignificant and the day to day lives we lead hold no impact on the world little alone the universe. Religion is not just comfort and hope, its a purpose and reason for living.

*applauds* Almost word for word what I've tried telling people so many times. Religion is a safehouse.

Square Ninja said:
Did Hitler truly influence the German public, or did he just amplify their views?

Actually that would have been Josef Goebbels, but I realise your point. Fooling the mind of people is actually really easy. They're done memory experiments before, you couldn't beleive how easy it is to convince someone that something that hasn't happened, has. Admitted that many Germans probably already had some dormant anti-semitic beleifs, I can assure you the majority who followed Hitler did so simply out of respect for a genius mind.

Ysu

Formerly Kown as..
Website
www.myspace.com
Breaking Point said:
Some, if I may not claim many, religions frown harshly upon those who do not try to convert non-beleivers. These religions are self preservant in that the members are either convinced to beleive or are forced.

The only religion that I know of that does that is Christianity. Islam for example, accepts other peoples religions and acknowledges chirstian prophets. Maybe the reason there are so many atheists in america is the fact they were exposed to only chritianity.

Phoenix

Legendary Member
Awards
The only religion that I know of that does that is Christianity. Islam for example, accepts other peoples religions and acknowledges chirstian prophets. Maybe the reason there are so many atheists in america is the fact they were exposed to only chritianity.

Islam is quite similar to Christianity. The only reason Islam isn't doing the same things Christianity does is because it's not the most powerful religion.

Phoenix

Legendary Member
Awards
True enough, by 2050, Islam will be more powerful than Christianity. I'll probably be partying in a mosque or something.

Phoenix

Legendary Member
Awards
Nah, it'll take a while for Islam to reach the same corruption, so I'd be good.

Square Ninja

"special recipe"
Website
www.classicgaming.com
I love how you seem to think that Christianity is so much more corrupt than any other religion.

You could consider it to be more corrupt if you just stood it next to another religion for a comparison. What you have to take into account is that Christian is much larger than any other religion, which invariably makes the corruption look larger when that isn't necessarily true.

quitejaded

I Do Phoenix.
Website
xanga.com
Square Ninja said:
To understand the 1930's-40's Anti-sematism, you must look at how Prussia became a world power prior to the turn of the 20th century. The kaiser at the time (I forget his name.) saw all of these industrious Jewish people in surrounding countries, so he decides to give them land if they come to Prussia. Thanks to the Jewish workers, Prussia thrives. After awhile, the kaiser, for some reason, decided that he didn't need the Jews anymore, so he started to kick them out and many left the state. The lack of those workers during World War I was seen to be partly to blame for Prussia's defeat. That is what caused the Anti-sematism in Germany. It laid dormant until Hitler started stirring up the pot, so to speak.

It was started by the Kaiser? So because the Kaiser felt like he didn't need the Jews anymore, the ideology that Jews are unnecessary spread some how?

And since you know that, do you think you could explain racism in America?
There was racism against immigrants, but more so against blacks.
I understand there is resentment left from the emancipation of slavery, but why is the blame put on the backs of the feckless blacks?

Square Ninja

"special recipe"
Website
www.classicgaming.com
quitejaded said:
It was started by the Kaiser? So because the Kaiser felt like he didn't need the Jews anymore, the ideology that Jews are unnecessary spread some how?

No, the Kaiser at the time felt he didn't need to give the Jews so many benefits for living in Prussia, so he stopped giving them to the Jews. The Jews left, Prussia lost in WWI, and the Germans used the Jews as a scapegoat.

quitejaded said:
And since you know that, do you think you could explain racism in America?
There was racism against immigrants, but more so against blacks.
I understand there is resentment left from the emancipation of slavery, but why is the blame put on the backs of the feckless blacks?

The issue of racism in the United States is an entirerly different matter better suited for a different thread.

quitejaded

I Do Phoenix.
Website
xanga.com
Square Ninja said:
No, the Kaiser at the time felt he didn't need to give the Jews so many benefits for living in Prussia, so he stopped giving them to the Jews. The Jews left, Prussia lost in WWI, and the Germans used the Jews as a scapegoat.
It all makes sense now!

The issue of racism in the United States is an entirerly different matter better suited for a different thread.

v_v

Phoenix

Legendary Member
Awards
Square Ninja said:
I love how you seem to think that Christianity is so much more corrupt than any other religion.

You could consider it to be more corrupt if you just stood it next to another religion for a comparison. What you have to take into account is that Christian is much larger than any other religion, which invariably makes the corruption look larger when that isn't necessarily true.

My comment on Islam reaching the same corruption once it became the largest religion just flew right past you, didn't it?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back