• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

Tech ► Apple iPad 2

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.

XIII Heartless

Head Mom In Charge
Awards
Website
profile.myspace.com
Apple unveils thinner, faster, camera-packing iPad 2 - Yahoo! News

My dad went to buy my brother and I iPads for Christmas, but an Apple store employee kindly pulled him to the side and let my out-of-the-technological-loop father know that an iPad 2 would be out shortly into 2011. I'm glad she did so now. Here's hoping I'm able to get one before my spring break starts (its release date is March 11).

Anyone else plan on getting one?

Mythological Omega

the arsenal of megadeth
No, because I have a perfectly competent laptop.

I have an iMac desktop and have had it for just over 2 years and none of Apple's other products have interested me in the slightest. The fact that it's thinner than an iPhone 4 would worry me.

XIII Heartless

Head Mom In Charge
Awards
Website
profile.myspace.com
No, because I have a perfectly competent laptop.

I have an iMac desktop and have had it for just over 2 years and none of Apple's other products have interested me in the slightest. The fact that it's thinner than an iPhone 4 would worry me.

Yes, I have a laptop too. I admit, the main reason I want an iPad at all is to have something large to run my Studio apps on. Trying to create music on a tiny iPhone 4 is frustrating. And while I'm at it, I'll probably give more of the app store games a try now since I'll have something larger to enjoy them on. Same with buying movies from the iTunes store; I can't wait to watch Avatar on my iPad. =)

LongLiveLife

Bronze Member
I'm usually a diehard Apple fanboy, but the iPads have really failed to impress. It makes a nice gimmick for wowing your clients if you're some upper class business or service (like a restaurant; I would love to order my food on an iPad) but serves no real purpose after that.

I did not want the first and I don't want the second.

Siren

brutally homeless and fluffy
Awards
1. The Xoom is more expensive than 5/6 of the iPad models, so that's two areas that you managed to be wrong in with a single sentence. Bravo.

2. Apple never said that the iPad was a PC replacement. Their stance has always been that it's a supplement, something in between your computer and your smartphone. Can you do some amazing things? Yeah. But that doesn't mean they're trying to convince you that it's a necessity or that it will replace anything; it's a luxury, and a damn fun one.

3. As soon as my tax return comes in I'll be driving out and getting a 32GB WiFi model, AirPort Extreme (for an unrelated reason), Smart Cover, and possibly Apple TV (assuming I get what I'm supposed to, anyway). My biggest problem is deciding on the color for the iPad and the Smart Cover; the white one looks really nice and it's different--and won't show fingerprints as much--but the black one would help the colors seem more vibrant and bright...hmm.

D

Deleted member 36435

Still no flash.
Removed SD card slot.
Same price.
Same battery life.

There are better alternatives with more features and are all around better. There is really no reason to purchase one of these as Apple has cut as many corners as possible.

gzQDq.png

Siren

Awards
That's your opinion, but an object on a spec sheet is different from an object actually being used. There was no way that Apple was ever going to have an SD card slot; that's just not how they work, expandable memory is a no-go. Suck? Yeah, but how much memory do you really need in a mobile device? Besides, the Xoom doesn't even have SD either, until you get that firmware update...when?

I won't get into it too much, just because this thread is more about the iPad 2 itself than the iPad 2 against other tablets. If you want to talk about it more in another thread though, we can. :)

D

Deleted member 36435

So, because you feel you won't use the extra memory you would rather not have it and pay the same price.
You are also missing the resolution of the screen (if you say this doesn't make a difference you are simply wrong) is larger on the Xoom, Xoom has flash support, a higher video playback (not just mirroring) resolution, a higher MP camera, USB ports, an HDMI port, 3G and 4G, and the Android OS supports more open source and freeware.

Orion

Prepared To Die
Awards
dude just admit it youre an incorrigible applefag

O

Oberon

It looks like the same thing as the old iPad except a new color and better processing.

hooray

Siren

Awards
Okay, cool. We'll do this.

So, because you feel you won't use the extra memory you would rather not have it and pay the same price.
Considering the fact that I don't own an SD card and would have to pay in order to get it, sure, I'm just fine with that. Will other people have problems with the lack of an SD slot, (mainly photographers) you bet, and it may break the deal for them. For me, I don't give two shits.

You are also missing the resolution of the screen (if you say this doesn't make a difference you are simply wrong)
That's true, but having compared the two side-by-side I can tell you that despite being lower resolution the iPad screen comes off as better because it's much, much brighter, creating better white-levels and vibrancy of colors. I actually told the guy at the Verizon kiosk (I visit these guys constantly, I practically work there at this point) when he asked what he could do to get the Xoom to sell is to try and move the iPad so people don't get hung up on the screen.

Xoom has flash support,
NOT YET IT DOESN'T

a higher video playback (not just mirroring) resolution
Conceded.

a higher MP camera, USB ports, an HDMI port,
MP rates aren't everything when it comes to a camera. There's a reason why an iPhone 4 (5MP) can take better pictures than my Incredible (8MP). The underlying software (and other hardware considerations) need to be there. I didn't take any photos, so I can't directly comment on the quality of the Xoom and I've never handled the iPad 2, so I can't comment on that either.

USB ports, I can take 'em or leave 'em. The HDMI port comes standard, which is awesome, but unless you're a teacher (that can't properly utilize a projector or SmartBoard, wtf) or have to give presentations, most people don't want to hook their tablet up to their TV. The only reason most people would want to do that is for video, which is the entire point of AirPlay.

3G and 4G
After a hardware update that happens who-knows-when, that you have to go without your tablet for at least 6 days in order to get, with a service that is unproven and doesn't affect most people because it's largest coverage is in the city. iPad has 3G on AT&T and Verizon, Xoom is only on Verizon (at this point). So as far as 3G goes, iPad wins.

Android OS supports more open source and freeware.
Conceded, but with several caveats.

1. There's a reason why there's so much freeware, and that's because Android users have this ingrown mindset that something should be free. They (we) don't care if there are ads, do what you need to do, but I'm not paying for it so SUCK IT. There's a reason why most developers haven't ported games over (besides technical limitations in doing so) and that's the fact that they recognize that producing 2 iOS/iPad games will make them much more money than a version for iOS and then taking the time to port it to Android and making sure it works on the large variety of hardware. Google seems to be becoming more strict about the hardware differences, but it's far from an easy experience.

2. Google had to just shoot 21 apps right in the face, because they were so malicious that people are recommended to do a factory reset on their phone. Sorry, but that's not a good point for the market, and (most likely) won't happen with the App Store.

3. Honeycomb was rushed to beat the second iPad to market. Every review (and my own experience) just shows that it's half-baked, and we don't know when things will be fixed. iOS will work right out the gate.

There are some other things that you can't get from a spec sheet, as I said before. I've got things for both that I've only noticed by actually handling the devices (in some cases, side-by-side).

Points for Xoom:
  • The implementation of Chrome (the default browser) is far superior to Safari in many ways. People love tabbed browsing, and it delivers. It's also faster (note: I haven't used the souped-up Safari in 4.3)
  • The interface is slick, and widgets genuinely add to the experience
  • The on-screen keyboard is genuinely fantastic

However, there are some real annoyances. The on-screen buttons aren't implemented well; you have to either read the manual or guess, and because things are so different even seasoned Android users will get lost. The 16:9 screen is just awkward to use in portrait mode. As I said, the screen is, despite its higher resolution, very dark and just dull.

Contrast that with the iPad, which is genuinely usable in both orientations (insert bi joke here). I like this because I'm not always going to be in a position to use the tablet in landscape, so it's nice that it doesn't look or feel wrong to use it in one orientation over the other. You always know where you're going, and while the home button is just one singular point of button interaction, it's more intuitive and you don't end up wondering which button to press. And, if or when you manage to fuck your screen up, you aren't left with something unusable.

Another big thing is the app 'problem'. iOS has more apps. Period. These apps have, in some cases, been in development longer, period. I also enjoy the fact that spending 2.99, something that I just don't feel like doing with Android, will get me an ad-free experience. Is that personal? Could I spend that money? Yes, but I'm representing myself as the average Android user. Development for iOS pays, and as a general rule development for Android doesn't. I'll be enjoying all the games and apps custom-tailored for my tablet and you'll be having fun with the apps made for phones (which the iPad can also do).

The big question: have you actually used both devices? Until you have you can only speculate on what it's like (which is why most, if not all, of my arguments can apply to the original iPad instead of solely to the iPad 2) and look at a spec sheet. As I pointed out, specs aren't everything--you genuinely cannot have a full opinion until you touch the things (and having some pretty good knowledge of the OS doesn't hurt).

Siren

Awards
dude just admit it youre an incorrigible applefag

...which is why I have an Incredible, want a Nexus S, and was really, really looking forward to the Xoom.

Kazuma

For the Real not the Fake
Website
kazu52.deviantart.com
Well I'm happy to see you can do some practical work on it, with the additions of iLife suite on ipad. But I still find it useless with no usb slots, and the handicap ram its going to have. I just don't find it useful at all I played with one a week ago( ipad1). All I see it good for is surfing the web and looking through digi books lounging around, its just has some wow factor behind it. Until it has 2gigs of ram and can run photoshop , illustrator, and Fireworks as well as iWork suite/Outlook its a no go for me.

As for flash fcuk it, I'm happy its still not on ipad. Flash just gives me nothing but problems,and its eats up ram on my computer.

D

Deleted member 36435

The big question: have you actually used both devices? Until you have you can only speculate on what it's like (which is why most, if not all, of my arguments can apply to the original iPad instead of solely to the iPad 2) and look at a spec sheet. As I pointed out, specs aren't everything--you genuinely cannot have a full opinion until you touch the things (and having some pretty good knowledge of the OS doesn't hurt).
Going to address this first: I have used both (well the iPad not the iPad 2) devices.

Considering the fact that I don't own an SD card and would have to pay in order to get it, sure, I'm just fine with that. Will other people have problems with the lack of an SD slot, (mainly photographers) you bet, and it may break the deal for them. For me, I don't give two shits.
It's still a feature that should be implemented into the iPad. It's quite a major thing to support SD cards. This allows for more music/movie/videos on your device. SD Cards are also cheap and can be used across multiple devices allowing you to transfer files easily.

MP rates aren't everything when it comes to a camera. There's a reason why an iPhone 4 (5MP) can take better pictures than my Incredible (8MP). The underlying software (and other hardware considerations) need to be there. I didn't take any photos, so I can't directly comment on the quality of the Xoom and I've never handled the iPad 2, so I can't comment on that either.
Yes, there are all these other factors. However, MP is still a huge factor. However, we don't have the ability to compare image quality at this point, however there isn't much Apple can do.
Also, it allows you to take super cool shots of errything.

After a hardware update that happens who-knows-when, that you have to go without your tablet for at least 6 days in order to get, with a service that is unproven and doesn't affect most people because it's largest coverage is in the city. iPad has 3G on AT&T and Verizon, Xoom is only on Verizon (at this point). So as far as 3G goes, iPad wins.
The fact is: 4G support is going to be added. It's still there and because you are going to need to update your hardware doesn't mean it should be ignored.
I suppose, you can say the iPad wins because it has more variety with the carriers but that isn't a huge point unless you are locked in a contract, which you shouldn't be.

1. There's a reason why there's so much freeware, and that's because Android users have this ingrown mindset that something should be free. They (we) don't care if there are ads, do what you need to do, but I'm not paying for it so SUCK IT. There's a reason why most developers haven't ported games over (besides technical limitations in doing so) and that's the fact that they recognize that producing 2 iOS/iPad games will make them much more money than a version for iOS and then taking the time to port it to Android and making sure it works on the large variety of hardware. Google seems to be becoming more strict about the hardware differences, but it's far from an easy experience.

Okay, again, it's still open source and freeware. Which is amazing. It allows people to actually develop their product and supports development of software. Apple holds you into their development software, making you pay them money a year to use it. Yes, there is more money to be made in the App Store, it isn't good for small developers making their freeware apps.
and honestly who cares why its free, who cares if its some mindset, it still is

2. Google had to just shoot 21 apps right in the face, because they were so malicious that people are recommended to do a factory reset on their phone. Sorry, but that's not a good point for the market, and (most likely) won't happen with the App Store.
There are actually plenty of malicious iPhone/iPad apps out there. Just search around the internet for information on them.

However, there are some real annoyances. The on-screen buttons aren't implemented well; you have to either read the manual or guess, and because things are so different even seasoned Android users will get lost. The 16:9 screen is just awkward to use in portrait mode. As I said, the screen is, despite its higher resolution, very dark and just dull.
I don't think that there is such a huge amount of buttons that someone familiar with the device won't know what they all do. Also, since when has reading the manual for something become a problem? You should ALWAYS do this.
The resolution can be a bit awkward but it takes getting used to, I suppose. I use my friends a bit and it doesn't bug me that much.
I haven't noticed the screen being especially dark and dull (maybe it's because my eyes are fucked beyond repair and everything looks like shit) but there are settings that need to be tweaked if that's the case, but, yes Apple makes pretty screens.

I'm not saying that the Xoom is the best tablet out there, and honestly I don't see the big deal with tablets when a netbook serves the same purpose 10x better.
There are other tablets that work wonders are even cheaper with more applications out. I honestly think the Playbook is one of the better Tablets out there as it's similar to a PC.

Siren

Awards
I'm glad that you've used one and have good reasons for not wanting one. I think that's an important point to make: if YOU don't want one, you don't have to get one. Just because I want to get one doesn't mean that I'm an Apple fanboy, and I think arguing which is better or worse is just so personal; which is why I didn't want to get into it.

Personally, for me, I can't wait to finally have some lightweight content consumption and to get some writing done when I'm on the go.

Siren

Awards
You're right, there is a lot of overlap between the capabilities of a laptop and a tablet; the difference is in the battery life, form factor, and single-minded devotion to a task which I find great and relaxing. And you let me know the next time your laptop lets you directly touch its contents, k?

Also, it's do*.

O

Oberon

I don't see any surprises with Apple having sub par features. They've always been closed source; it can't be helped.

What they lack in features they make up for in the iOS, imho. I'm mostly talking the apps, of course. It really is a great platform, and it's pretty easy to use/make apps. -shrug-

Dross263

I hope the iPad 2 is better than the iPad, wich was a complete fail IMO. Steve Jobs said the iPad was "Magical & Revolutionary", but I desagree, it has no HDMI port (you can't connect it to a bigger screen) no Integrated-USB (can't share files with a PC) or expandable memory (16GB? that's some retarded joke). No camera for taking pictures or videos or apps like Barcode Scanner or Layar.

iPad doesn't support Flash, so despite Steve Jobs saying "It's the best web-browsing experience you'll ever have", no streaming video, no In-Browser games, no uploading photos. Absolutely NO multi-tasking. So basically you can listen to music on Pandora... And do nothing else with it.

No Netflix (you have to use iTunes)

The iPad is a giant iPhone that cane make no phone calls, and that has iBooks (wich isn't revolutionary)... Ever heard of the Kindle? Well, the iPad is a "Magical and Revolutionary" Kindle.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back