• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

Antisocial Personality Disorder.

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.

Phoenix

Legendary Member
Awards
There's an article that outlines some specific costs <here>.

Seems to me (and the article acknowledges it) that this is less a problem with capital punishment and more a problem with how bureaucratic it is.

damn i must be the only one here who hasn't tried marijuana...

I've never tried the stuff in my life.

Let me explain the difference between the so called "slippery slope" of marijuana and what you said... marijuana is already illegal (well at least in the US). Also notice that I didn't exactly define what the next high is... people who try marijuana typically also experiment with other drugs especially youths... which can either turn out well or turn out badly due to the situation.
I'm not saying that everything corrupting people to do more illegal activites is marijuana... but in various cases it does play a part.

And again, thanks to religious extremism, things like 9/11 happen. According to your logic, that means we should ban religion, just in case.

Ven-Dono

Website
naruto-chronicles.net
Let me explain the difference between the so called "slippery slope" of marijuana and what you said... marijuana is already illegal (well at least in the US). Also notice that I didn't exactly define what the next high is... people who try marijuana typically also experiment with other drugs especially youths... which can either turn out well or turn out badly due to the situation.
I'm not saying that everything corrupting people to do more illegal activites is marijuana... but in various cases it does play a part.

The book "Parents' Guide To Marijuana" brings up statistics as to the myth of Marijuana being a "gateway drug". Try getting it if you have time, and if you are interested enough to spend money on it. It's cheap.

Millions of people who try pot never use any other illegal drugs. About 100 million Americans have tried marijuana, but most of them have never even seen other illegal drugs like heroin. In at least three studies of drug users in treatment show a lot of them do not start with pot. They use whatever drug is most available. In crack neighbor hoods, people try crack before pot.

Also, even if 100% of the people who did crack tried marijuana first, here's an analogy. Most likely, everyone who rides a motorcycle, rode a bicycle first, right? That doesn't mean riding a bike caused them to ride motorcycles.

And a quick fun fact is that the drug that really separates people who go on to hard drugs from the others isn't marijuana. It's tobacco. Especially at a young age, because those are the ones who can't handle the nicotine as well.

And please, just because someone's tried marijuana doesn't mean they'll be biased in whether they think marijuana's a gateway drug.

Sorry for how that was off-topic, but this is a subject in which I feel strongly for.

krexia

Translator
Awards
Seems to me (and the article acknowledges it) that this is less a problem with capital punishment and more a problem with how bureaucratic it is.
So again, how do you propose we have a system of capital punishment without the bureaucratic system to regulate it?

California Commission on the Fair Administration of Justice
- Using conservative rough projections, the Commission estimates the annual costs of the present (death penalty) system to be $137 million per year.
- The cost of the present system with reforms recommended by the Commission to ensure a fair process would be $232.7 million per year.

Seeshinamaru13

stalking Grimmjow...from a distance...cuz yeah he'
So? Not all illegal activities are equally attractive. Drinking underage is illegal, and I don't think I know a single person who never touched alcohol before they were legally allowed to. Downloading music is illegal, and certainly doesn't encourage people into a life of hard crime. Breaking one law doesn't mean you want to break laws in general.
I will admit that I have drunk alcohol illegally... but I also know of people who haven't.
Look I never said that it started with marijuana... I'm just saying that marijuana is linked with a lot of other criminal activity... whether it be other illegal drug use... dog fighting... cock fighting... etc.
Also earlier you were talking about various drugs used for personal/recreation use... assuming that people would just want to use it at home sometimes... how would you monitor and discern between the people who use it for personal reasons and those who use it while committing other illegal activities... it's just easier to ban the entirety of drugs with the exception of medical drugs.
I'd love to see statistics that prove that the majority of people who try marijuana also try harder drugs.
I'm not sure on the statistics but I was talking about the experiences I've witnessed.
And again, thanks to religious extremism, things like 9/11 happen. According to your logic, that means we should ban religion, just in case.
I actually wouldn't mind that.
And please, just because someone's tried marijuana doesn't mean they'll be biased in whether they think marijuana's a gateway drug.
What's the point in advocating for it if you've never tried it.
Sorry for how that was off-topic, but this is a subject in which I feel strongly for.
I looked it up and I will admit that it's quite interesting... however that doesn't change my apathy for it.
Don't take this the wrong way but... why do you feel strongly for it?

krexia

Translator
Awards
I will admit that I have drunk alcohol illegally...
And has it made you more inclined to break other laws? Do you feel like going out and doing some crack cocaine? Are you itching for your next high?

Criminals may use marijuana, but that doesn't mean people who use marijuana are criminals.

how would you monitor and discern between the people who use it for personal reasons and those who use it while committing other illegal activities...
The law already distinguishes between people who possess marijuana for personal use and those who grow or deal it. All that needs to be done is to remove the criminal penalties for the former, and the state wouldn't have to waste so many resources on prosecuting and imprisoning non-violent, low risk users of marijuana.

I'm not sure on the statistics but I was talking about the experiences I've witnessed.
So this is all based on anecdotal assumptions?

What's the point in advocating for it if you've never tried it.
Maybe because I believe in personal liberty? I'm an atheist, but I will still defend people's right to practise religion. And I don't have to use marijuana myself to think it's ridiculous that so much time and money is wasted imprisoning people who use it recreationally and hurt no-one.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back