• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

Am I the only one who hates the idea of Sora and Kairi being a couple and hopes it never happens?

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.

mytomxxx

*Kairi asks to marry Sora*
*Sora don't know how to react*
*Kairi starts to sing don't think twice*
*Sora crys and aceept*
*They kiss eat other and start to get naked at the beach woooo*

NovaDragon

Awards
First and foremost, I think it's imperative to understand that the Westermarck Effect is a hypothetical study that has mainly used anthropological, empirical data for its research. When it comes to Westermarck's original source of data, especially the one's mainly pertaining to child rearing scenarios between those of unrelated children, it is founded on controlled environments of the Israeli Kibbutzim community or in related bint'amm marriages. In which, these communities have their own system of sociological and psychological effects that play a role in those outcomes as a result of co-residency, which refers to how these children were specifically raised together in a particular communal residence. This is obviously not the case for Sora and Kairi in an ultimate sense. (I'd suggest looking up the child-rearing conditions of those raised in the kibbutz community)

Otherwise, most of the other data, especially pertaining to the evolutionary, psychological reasoning of kin-recognition of this theory, has applied mainly to co-residence in the case of actual siblings. Obviously, again, being siblings isn't the case for Sora and Kairi, and of course, you COULD try to apply the co-residency factor for them as well. But, it doesn't hold up. To apply that to their relationship when they weren't necessarily reared together in how the theory suggest isn't logical or as case in point as you want it to be. Also note, that this study is specifically rendered before the age of six, and while its been implied that Sora and Kairi met before that (4 or 5), the term "childhood friends" can accompany ages even after six years old. Childhood friends≠Sibling dynamic, and saying it's also "more likely" isn't an absolute to live by either.

I understand your point, as it is a very interesting topic to study and consider in general. However, when you're using "proof" such as someone's comment on Youtube and your own personal experience as a substance of factual information to draw a cemented conclusion, that action is indeed the more ridiculous notion for judging another variable, i.e. another relationship in its entirety. Remember the basic foundations of the "questionable cause" fallacies in how you draw your conclusions, and you'll understand why you should approach this less as as a fact or "proofs", and more of an observation.

As for Sora and Kairi, really, it isn't that complicated to their specific dynamic and role in this game. There are reasons people see each other a certain way, that is true, and there are a myriad of variables that can affect this. What tends to be observed the most is really the end result. Sora and Kairi's relationship is an example of individuals that happen to have obviously retained some emotional/physical attraction to one another as they got older since childhood. It happens, and the basis of their closeness doesn't come across as anything more complicated or deep than that. Though, this could be a result of the writing in the game, but they've had some interesting moments in context of the game's elements that prove how important their friendship is. And, of course, what they're willing to do for each other.

Now, is it necessarily cliché? Well, I'm not sure if the meaning of that ironic, commonly used criticism really applies here to that degree. Friends being romantically involved, the protagonist falling for another protagonist (especially one encountered from the plot/journey), love at first sight, etc, it's all just storytelling catered to specific characters and environments. Sometimes, as part of experiencing something, you need to look at it in the essence of itself rather than a comparison or identification with other sources. Otherwise, it is easy to not see it for what it is. And, for Sora and Kairi's dynamic in this story, it's pretty fairly simple in its presentation and execution. Hell, the true argument and grievances I personally have seen mainly is that there isn't enough depth presented, this being due to Kingdom Hearts not necessarily emphasizing the "Romance" genre of its storytelling. This would stand to have some basis, especially considering the only other "set" implications of romance in Kingdom Hearts is between Naminé and Roxas, who so conveniently happen to be their Nobodies. That holds its own pile of criticisms and evaluations though, but even its just simply presented to the story and audience.

Either way, to answer the question of your title: No, you're not the only one who dislikes, or rather, is unimpressed with the romantic venture of Sora and Kairi in the story. I definitely wouldn't say that others have your same reasoning as to why, or to it severity, but you're not alone. I'm not one, as you can probably already tell, but they're out there. To be honest, there's nothing that clearly suggests it won't happen, but the degree of it's advancement in Kingdom Hearts 3, whether it's a face-to-face confession or even, dare I say, a kiss, might be something to look into or think about in expectation.

"retained some emotional/physical attraction to one another as they got older since childhood. It happens" It however rarely does happen in real life though.

Oracle Spockanort

written in the stars
Staff member
Awards
Website
twitter.com
Wow, how did I miss this party.

Look, SoKai is pretty much bread and butter romance and it’s likely the reality we are going to have to accept unless we discover Nomura and the staff have been inspired by something and convincingly sold the idea to Disney to make it happen. A few of y’all know I’d probably go on and argue against SoKai but I honestly don’t care what happens in KH3 as long as it is written well and Kairi isn’t Sora-centric like in previous titles.

Also please no ship-shaming here. Everybody can ship whatever they want. Fandoms are meant to be safe spaces for people to enjoy a franchise (within reason, of course).

alexis.anagram

pajamaモード
Awards
I'm as opposed to SoKai as the next oft-spurned queer trying to get a leg in on fictional romance, but for the life of me I don't understand this trend of applying real psychological underpinnings to characters and themes as heavily romanticized as those of Kingdom Hearts pursuant some scientific standard of credibility. Certainly I don't mind debating the political and social implications of those themes, and part of that may be to question how accurately or inaccurately it chooses to reflect the psychological profiles of its characters in relation to the real world, but the series is fundamentally contrived through symbols of emotion, spirituality and fantasy, and so very deliberately eschews real-world approximations of its drama in favor of more mythical assertions about right and wrong, good and evil, the body and the soul. We can debate the merits of that approach to storytelling, or the specific assumptions KH makes in the process, but refashioning its basic components in the image of a system of math and logic to which it doesn't aspire is sort of disingenuous: better to accept or critique it for what it is, I think.

On the subject of this ship in particular, this has been done and done. With the BH6 world finally in play, though, I'm officially jumping on the Sora x Hiro bandwagon that has been slowly building traction since 2015. Basic shippers beware.

Oracle Spockanort

written in the stars
Staff member
Awards
Website
twitter.com
On the subject of this ship in particular, this has been done and done. With the BH6 world finally in play, though, I'm officially jumping on the Sora x Hiro bandwagon that has been slowly building traction since 2015. Basic shippers beware.

Look, Hiro wouldn’t let anybody use his nanotech after it was abused by Dr. Callaghan. The fact that he lets Sora use it is pretty big, and implies a very deep level of trust. He also clearly idolizes Sora from the moment he meets him.

I feel it.

Launchpad

i remember the OLD khinsider
Awards
tsk tsk, these games would have been much bigger if it followed a harem narrative about Sora and the princesses

MelodicEnigma

Awards
Website
twitter.com
We can debate the merits of that approach to storytelling, or the specific assumptions KH makes in the process, but refashioning its basic components in the image of a system of math and logic to which it doesn't aspire is sort of disingenuous: better to accept or critique it for what it is, I think.

Really the key, honestly. Though, there's a wide problem with people looking at the characters as a concept rather than within themselves, and to each other, for the context of the story. I mean really, most things could be casually labeled "cliche" with the concept approach. It's such a waste, and I see it too often to where it does kind of irk me. Over the years, I've seen so many different fandoms, and, people are all over the place with their disposition lol Sometimes its great and is quite fruitful, and then other times, its toxic and filled with logic that holds no genuine or sincere reasoning. A lot of the time, that's even directed at one another rather than the content itself...

I honestly can care less if people ultimately don't like SoKai, that's a fair thing to not like. (Lookin at you, KH writers) Actually, I am always more interested in the why, however. But if the why is using over-critically barred, unrelated logic that doesn't hold up, I just think that has to be pointed out. This all is just so much easier when you realize everyone just loves to be into characters, ships, and concepts for the hell of it. And, can do so without getting all foamy at the mouth with silly conspiracies against a stories content, which sometimes is funny but the OP's point was a bit off. (I feel like, that applies also to fan content/theories as well)

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 246005

SoKai is too predictable/safe and there isnt a interesting conflict to ground the relationship.

The bigger issue is Kairi never became a compelling character on her own so the other issues can't be fixed yet. She feels more like wallpaper than a person. Ironically Nomura did this better with Namine in Chain in Memories.

A way to fix this is to do what they did with Serah in FF13-2. Send Kairi on a quest and push her as a character.

Last edited by a moderator:

MATGSY

Silver Member
Awards
"KH is about friendship" unnerves me, speaking like that's an absolute with no degree of flexibility. We can't see Sora's parents because KH is about friendship, not family! Puh-leaze, it wouldn't kill the theme to take 5 minutes out of a 30 hour game to explain how his parents are doing with all the BS he puts them through. Similarly, there's no reason a romance subplot would kill the friendship theme either, not like literally everyone is hooking up with one another.

MelodicEnigma

Awards
Website
twitter.com
This is all I want out of Kairi in KH3. And I personally don't feel interested in considering any sort of romantic angle with her, with anyone, until it happens.

Agreed. I'm fairly confident that Kairi will be one of the playable characters as well. Considering we've gotten heavy Sora and Riku action, playing as the third main, original character would be a smart move from the KH team. Romantic notions wouldn't get in the way of that, theoretically.

alexis.anagram

pajamaモード
Awards
Agreed. I'm fairly confident that Kairi will be one of the playable characters as well. Considering we've gotten heavy Sora and Riku action, playing as the third main, original character would be a smart move from the KH team. Romantic notions wouldn't get in the way of that, theoretically.
Among other things they should do with her (like let her meet and get to know more people), I reaallly want to see them flip the script (or, in my view, deliver on the promise of KH1 and 2) by making Kairi the one who's purpose is to protect and if need be rescue Sora in this game, and/or to do the things that he can't. She's a PoH so theoretically resistant to Xehanort's manipulations and she's Sora's "light" so she can keep him from going off course like in DDD. I don't need any romantic subtext to make this work, or certainly nothing more overt than in KH1: instead, make it about Kairi's drive and her unique power, and let her show off for Sora a little. Make him eat that, "You'd kind of just be in the way," remark.

NovaDragon

Awards
Really the key, honestly. Though, there's a wide problem with people looking at the characters as a concept rather than within themselves, and to each other, for the context of the story. I mean really, most things could be casually labeled "cliche" with the concept approach. It's such a waste, and I see it too often to where it does kind of irk me. Over the years, I've seen so many different fandoms, and, people are all over the place with their disposition lol Sometimes its great and is quite fruitful, and then other times, its toxic and filled with logic that holds no genuine or sincere reasoning. A lot of the time, that's even directed at one another rather than the content itself...

I honestly can care less if people ultimately don't like SoKai, that's a fair thing to not like. (Lookin at you, KH writers) Actually, I am always more interested in the why, however. But if the why is using over-critically barred, unrelated logic that doesn't hold up, I just think that has to be pointed out. This all is just so much easier when you realize everyone just loves to be into characters, ships, and concepts for the hell of it. And, can do so without getting all foamy at the mouth with silly conspiracies against a stories content, which sometimes is funny but the OP's point was a bit off. (I feel like, that applies also to fan content/theories as well)
I just don't like the whole "childhood friends becoming more than friends later on in life" cliché. It feels so unreal to me, since most likely a person won't be attracted to their childhood friend, since they most likely will think of them as a sibling.

OathkeeperRoxas XIII

Silver Member
Website
www.fanfiction.net
I just don't like the whole "childhood friends becoming more than friends later on in life" cliché. It feels so unreal to me, since most likely a person won't be attracted to their childhood friend, since they most likely will think of them as a sibling.

well sibling, considering another thing that happens to childhood friend ship, they lose to the second girl or their sister

i went there because every time there's a Sokai or Kairi thread, it always goes complaining about it, nothing has happened since KH2 and probably the staff forgot after Days or moved on to building Sora and Riku up in their fates

Kairi will develop without being a ship, but don't shackle anyone to either of them because you hate the pairing

no one says you have to ship it but don't let it eat away at you, because shipping fuss is why countless female protagonists are reduced by this

Paige712

I don't want them together purely because I'm a hard Riku x Sora shipper haha!

Nazo

Hope Remains
Awards
After reading through this entire thing, the only question on my mind is why we're trying to use real-life principles in a fantasy game narrative. This is a universe where a boy with a giant key can transform it into a pirate ship flag and then attack with it like a spear. I don't think real-world science and psychology applies here.

DarkosOverlord

Bronze Member
Awards
Oh man new posts here.

The bigger issue is Kairi never became a compelling character on her own so the other issues can't be fixed yet. She feels more like wallpaper than a person. Ironically Nomura did this better with Namine in Chain in Memories.

And then Naminé got the same treatment, if not worse.
First she became Roxas' special person in KH II (it's been 12 years and I'm still trying to understand why that became a thing), now she's so forgotten she's all alone on the box art.
I swear at some point Nomura will realize she's left without a trio and newer plot threads and he'll make her Strelitzia's Nobody or something.

Send Kairi on a quest and push her as a character.

*cue the "Why not both?" kid

Is it time for me to re-propose the idea of Kairi taking a stroll in Pooh's Book with Sora?
Been actually throwing it on a few social media and found many more supporters than anticipated.
It warmed my heart.

iirc Lea was grabbing that thigh in the cutscene. Sora is going to be... well...

Many things I was expecting, but not that some months prior the release of KH III we'd witness the LeaxKairi train.

"KH is about friendship" unnerves me, speaking like that's an absolute with no degree of flexibility. We can't see Sora's parents because KH is about friendship, not family! Puh-leaze, it wouldn't kill the theme to take 5 minutes out of a 30 hour game to explain how his parents are doing with all the BS he puts them through. Similarly, there's no reason a romance subplot would kill the friendship theme either, not like literally everyone is hooking up with one another.

Do them youngsters still say "Louder for the people in the back"?

After reading through this entire thing, the only question on my mind is why we're trying to use real-life principles in a fantasy game narrative. This is a universe where a boy with a giant key can transform it into a pirate ship flag and then attack with it like a spear. I don't think real-world science and psychology applies here.

Because we're still in the same fandom where you can post the locked door/window text bubble in Beast's Castle screenshot and people will find it hilarious before dubbing it "yet another gargantuan plot hole in Kingdom Hearts".

Megavoltage

Awards
If Sora and Kairi do become a couple how different will the next saga be because of this change? Will them going on dates be part of the plot?

Right now we have a bit of a status quo with Sora having adventures with Donald and Goofy, Riku goes missing and then Sora spends most of the game wondering where Riku is. Maybe in the next saga Sora will still have adventures with the duck and dog but wonder where Kairi is instead of Riku? Or maybe Sora and Kairi will become an adventuring duo? As we are right now Sora spends very little time with any of his Destiny Island pals(thinking about Riku every five minutes doesn't count) so I don't know how much this romance will shake things up.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back