• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

Am I the only one who hates the idea of Sora and Kairi being a couple and hopes it never happens?

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.

Zettaflare

Shibuya
Awards
If Sora and Kairi do become a couple how different will the next saga be because of this change? Will them going on dates be part of the plot?

Right now we have a bit of a status quo with Sora having adventures with Donald and Goofy, Riku goes missing and then Sora spends most of the game wondering where Riku is. Maybe in the next saga Sora will still have adventures with the duck and dog but wonder where Kairi is instead of Riku? Or maybe Sora and Kairi will become an adventuring duo? As we are right now Sora spends very little time with any of his Destiny Island pals(thinking about Riku every five minutes doesn't count) so I don't know how much this romance will shake things up.
I'd still prefer the Sora, Donad, and Goofy trio even if Sora and Kairi hook up. Kairi needs her own Disney companions which is why I'm hoping she teams up with Minnie and Daisy in the next saga. Sora and Kairi could still see each other from time to time and team up if their paths cross.

gosoxtim

Silver Member
Awards
i will think riku will tell them where he going besides they phones now it not like he cant keep in contract with riku or anybody else

Absent

Nomura's Biggest Fan
Awards
Listen, if they end up together, fine. I'll be sad and disappointed, BUT I'll get over it. Sora and Kairi are not my favorite characters..

However if they even dare hint at Riku liking any girl.

url
tenor.gif

Megavoltage

Awards
However if they even dare hint at Riku liking any girl.
He's pretty interesting in meeting the person who saved him in the Realm of Darkness. Hmmm... I wonder if this could go places...

D

Deleted member 246005

After reading through this entire thing, the only question on my mind is why we're trying to use real-life principles in a fantasy game narrative. This is a universe where a boy with a giant key can transform it into a pirate ship flag and then attack with it like a spear. I don't think real-world science and psychology applies here.
On some level people want stories to be a reflection of life, even if it often isn't a one-on-one recreation. That's why we try to give an element of relatability to our characters and worldbuilding.

I don't think its wrong if SoraxKairi face some hurdles that most childhood romances face even if we don't have take it as seriously as the OP is suggesting.

Oh man new posts here.

And then Naminé got the same treatment, if not worse.
First she became Roxas' special person in KH II (it's been 12 years and I'm still trying to understand why that became a thing), now she's so forgotten she's all alone on the box art.
I swear at some point Nomura will realize she's left without a trio and newer plot threads and he'll make her Strelitzia's Nobody or something.

*cue the "Why not both?" kid

Is it time for me to re-propose the idea of Kairi taking a stroll in Pooh's Book with Sora?
Been actually throwing it on a few social media and found many more supporters than anticipated.
It warmed my heart.

Many things I was expecting, but not that some months prior the release of KH III we'd witness the LeaxKairi train.

Do them youngsters still say "Louder for the people in the back"?

Because we're still in the same fandom where you can post the locked door/window text bubble in Beast's Castle screenshot and people will find it hilarious before dubbing it "yet another gargantuan plot hole in Kingdom Hearts".

I guess Nomura wanted symmetry between Sora x Kairi so he choose to do Roxas x Namine. Maybe Riku x Namine might have made more sense because they did spend a whole year together? But because Kairi is Namine's somebody and that becomes extra difficult/creepy to manage the two relationships?

Having Roxas and Namine just felt cleaner and maybe nomura had other plans before shifting to Xion?

I guess you can have Kairi go on an adventure and maybe Namine has to provide advice/commentary as she live inside Kairi's heart? Maybe Namine had her own adventures that kairi finds out about?

Her being stretzlia's nobody would be a step too far for me. It would feel more cheap than worthwhile.

Sora and Kairi going to 1000 acre woods would be nice tho. I was thinking about something with higher stakes but 1000 acre woods would be a good start.

redcrown

Awards
I guess Nomura wanted symmetry between Sora x Kairi so he choose to do Roxas x Namine. Maybe Riku x Namine might have made more sense because they did spend a whole year together? But because Kairi is Namine's somebody and that becomes extra difficult/creepy to manage the two relationships?

This might be weird to say but I ship Riku and Namine but purely platonically (I can still see how people do so romantically), and I honestly wished they had shown more scenes of them interacting like in Reverse/Rebirth. I mean they had a lot in common during the CoM-KH2 era: betraying people they cared about (Sora) for their own emotional fulfillments, stemming from their own deep insecurities about themselves, carrying the guilt and shame of doing so and working their hardest to make amends and revive Sora using any means possible, and no matter how long it took.

I honestly never saw much in common between Roxas and Namine besides them being nobodies born from Sora and being blonde. Riku and Namine had arcs and personalities that more clearly paralleled each other.

Sora and Kairi going to 1000 acre woods would be nice tho. I was thinking about something with higher stakes but 1000 acre woods would be a good start.

Idk man 100 Acre Woods is really the world of friendship and childhood innocence; having it be the setting of a blossoming romance would be weird imo.
I'd personally rather have SRK all go there together to foster genuine trio development between the three of them.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 246005

This might be weird to say but I ship Riku and Namine but purely platonically (I can still see how people do so romantically), and I honestly wished they had shown more scenes of them interacting like in Reverse/Rebirth. I mean they had a lot in common during the CoM-KH2 era: betraying people they cared about (Sora) for their own emotional fulfillments, stemming from their own deep insecurities about themselves, carrying the guilt and shame of doing so and working their hardest to make amends and revive Sora using any means possible, and no matter how long it took.

I honestly never saw much in common between Roxas and Namine besides them being nobodies born from Sora and being blonde. Riku and Namine had arcs and personalities that more clearly paralleled each other.

Idk man 100 Acre Woods is really the world of friendship and childhood innocence; having it be the setting of a blossoming romance would be weird imo.
I'd personally rather have SRK all go there together to foster genuine trio development between the three of them.
It's cool, you just have a preference. It's a perfectly natural part of being a fan. :cool:

Beyond

Awards
I do not like the idea of them being a couple since KH2.
I mean, in KH1 was predictable, but still okay: since the second one this paring is just for the sake of heteronormativity.

Plus, I do not like her as a character since the first one.

So, yep, I really hope that nothing won't happen between them.
Ya know, it's not 2002 anymore.

alexis.anagram

pajamaモード
Awards
I ship Xion and Namine for similar reasons, they share like one scene together but man the thematic sparks were flying. Sometimes all it takes is one scene.

Roxas/Namine is way too neat and tidy for me. Like you said, just making them the alter egos of the "main couple" doesn't count as chemistry. It doesn't help that Sora and Kairi hardly have any chemistry to pass along in the first place. :p

I do not like the idea of them being a couple since KH2.
I mean, in KH1 was predictable, but still okay: since the second one this paring is just for the sake of heteronormativity.

Plus, I do not like her as a character since the first one.

So, yep, I really hope that nothing won't happen between them.
Ya know, it's not 2002 anymore.
I still like Kairi but otherwise I agree with you. The worst thing they could do with her right now is double down on her status as a romantic object. They need to evolve her characterization in line with the rest of the ensemble and now would be a great time to pull back from the hetero fantasy trope while still honoring the relationship she and Sora share throughout the games: something special and even crucial that stands as is without a need to charge it with the expected romantic overtures.

*TwilightNight*

Bronze Member
Awards
The romance aspect, while implied rather straightforwardly with Sora and Kairi (direct and indirect), hasn't been too prominent and it's been more of an underlying build up than anything. Their feelings for one another are there, no use denying context just to be against a ship, but it appears like they are going to make it a slow burn. Which is fine, because it wouldn't interrupt any other dynamics. It can even take a backseat to the actual plot like it always has been. They are going to walk that fine line of "will they or won't they" for a while. They can continue that while focusing on developing Kairi, which is already set to happen based on her role presented in KH3 thus far. She is training to be on the front lines.

I don't see why to get one, we have to cancel the other. She already likes Sora and vice-versa. That's going to be displayed in the game, period.

I think that people are under the impression that they'll become official. The stepping stones are there. But before we freak out, let's see what the next addition to the franchise leans to and see if they actually get together before wondering whether they should have focused cementing Kairi as a character first.

The same with Roxas and Naminé in that, while laced with some small nuance of flirtation and tease (i.e "can't help you there"), still kept a very vague status in terms of their interaction. Naminé feels and cares for those wronged, and what was happening to Roxas was in her perception, unfair. It is probably also a way to ease off her own guilt, as she's the cause for a lot of memory messes that affected others deeply. The least she could offer Roxas was to give him information he needed and a semblance of a choice in his fate. They are farther away than the position Sora and Kairi are in now, and it's understandable. 2.8 credits aside, I feel it's just a way to imply this is the potential end in the future (as in, this is the pair that has been ultimately decided upon), rather than saying it's going to be canon come next game. The only factor that throws it off is Naminé's line of "so we'll be together again!", yet considering their situation can probably be chalked up to that they won't be alone in this. That there's some companionship in being locked within an individual despite having a self. The rest of the dialogue implies it as well. Back then, they seemed to be intent in making it look like Roxas and Naminé ended up being content with their unavoidable situation. Of course, that may not be the case now, you know, with the changes in the series.

Really, Roxas and Naminé are an example of a person of the opposite sex you meet in a bar or a mall, lol. You're lured in with their appearance and personality, that in turn brings forth some coyness in the conversation and synergy, but otherwise are just two people getting to know each other for the first time. With an added dash of "I'm here to help you" and whatnot. I see it more now that I'm older. They can go on with this as a basis in [a] later installment, again though, doubt they'll be canonized any time soon. Let the creative side of the fandom run with fanfics instead.

It's just that there's a lot of concern for something that's not to be worried over in my opinion.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back