• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

Alpha Protocol

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.

loke13

Waiting on FF XV and KH3 :D
ggn_alpha_protocol_release_date_delayed.jpg

Alpha Protocol is an upcoming third-person action role-playing game, developed by Obsidian Entertainment and published by Sega. The game revolves around the adventures of rookie CIA field agent Michael Thorton. The game was originally set to be released on October 27, 2009, but the release has since been pushed back to May 27 (Australia), May 28 (Europe) and June 1 (NA) of 2010.

After a failed mission, Agent Michael Thorton is cut off from all of his contacts and betrayed by his superiors and is being hunted by the United States government. In response, Michael uses the "Alpha Protocol", though it is normally reserved for more senior agents, and begins to operate undercover, to uncover the conspiracy.

Gary Steinman writes, "Mina might seem normal enough, but Alpha Protocol has its share of quirky characters. 'We used a Kill Bill test,' Chris Parker explains. 'If a character fits in Kill Bill, that's probably too over-the-top. But we don't want them to be just normal suits. That'd be really boring. I don't know how many M60 wielding psychopath blonde girls there are, but there's one in our game!'"

Combat

Alpha Protocol is played from a third-person perspective, allowing the player to see Thorton and his surroundings at all times. As Thorton is a trained CIA operative, the tools at the player's disposal include numerous firearms, hand to hand combat using Kenpo,http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alpha_Protocol#cite_note-3 and spy gadgets.
In addition to the action elements, though, players also earn Advancement Points, which can be placed into any of the ten different skills in the game.http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alpha_Protocol#cite_note-GamesRadar_Preview_2-4 These skills will increase Thorton's ability to use certain weapons and grant different abilities to him. These abilities are free to use, but require a "cooldown" period before they can be used again. One ability that has been mentioned in previews allows Thorton to scan a group of enemies in slow-motion before popping out of cover and shooting each of them more rapidly than he would be capable of normally.http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alpha_Protocol#cite_note-GamesRadar_Preview_2-4

Dialogue System

As with any RPG, Alpha Protocol features numerous characters with whom to interact. Conversations occur in real-time, giving the player a limited amount of time to respond at key "decision points" during dialogue.http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alpha_Protocol#cite_note-IGN_interview-5 The dialog system in the game - known as the "DSS" or Dialogue Stance systemhttp://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alpha_Protocol#cite_note-1up_interview-6 - allows the player to choose from three different attitudes, or "stances," when speaking to an NPC. Obsidian has said that these options are based on the personalities of the "three J.B.'s": Jason Bourne of the Bourne Identity novels and films, James Bond of the eponymous film and book series, and Jack Bauer of the television series 24, although the game itself does not use these names. During dialog sequences, the player will be able to choose from options like "professional" (Jason Bourne), "suave" (James Bond), and "aggressive" (Jack Bauer), sometimes with a brief description of the dialogue choice (such as "sarcastic") taking the place of the general stance. A fourth, "action" dialogue choice is sometimes available, used to terminate a conversation prematurely.http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alpha_Protocol#cite_note-GamesRadar_Preview_2-4 Each NPC will react differently to these choices; one character might be intimidated by an aggressive stance, but another character may find an aggressive stance to be insulting or childish. While dialogue choices will have some immediately noticeable consequences, many may not be seen until much later in game. As each conversation is experienced once per playthrough, multiple playthroughs will be required in order to experience all of the game's content; while the game contains a total of approximately twelve hours of cinematic sequences, a player will only experience around four hours during any given playthrough.

Customization

Players will be allowed to customize Michael's face, but only features such as facial hair and the like. Weapons and gadgets will also be customizable with added silencers, a larger magazine, and so forth.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alpha_Protocol#cite_note-10
The player can choose also which skills to advance, allowing them to reinforce their play style. Examples include making Thorton more capable of stealth, more deadly in hand-to-hand combat, or better at gunplay.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alpha_Protocol#cite_note-GamesRadar_Preview_2-4
A large list of guns are shown in some demos as well, mostly under fictional names. Examples include the FN Five-seven, FN P90, the FN F2000 and the M4A1.

Alpha Protocol Video Game, Global Conspiracy Walkthrough HD | Game Trailers & Videos | GameTrailers.com

Alpha Protocol Video Game | Reviews, Trailers & Interviews | GameTrailers.com

alpha-protocol-20090530013918405_640w1.jpg

alpha-protocol-20090317001122548_640w.jpg

alpha-protocol-nudity.jpg

site_alpha-protocol--ss-7.jpg

Macabre

Gold Member
Making the main character look like a terrorist will be my first priority when I get this game.

Forever Atlas

The World Rests On Me
Awards
I was interested in this game before it got delayed 10 times. Now there are other games that I will be playing before I touch this. That is, if I ever touch this.

JohnnyLegend

I'm not really sure if I should be excited for this. Don't get me wrong, it looks great, but I'm just not sure it compares to the other games I'm looking forward to at the moment.

loke13

I think this game looks fun. But the AI could be much better and gameplay could less......glitchy.

Kasrinok

What do you all think of this game?? I have seen many commercials about it, just looks horrible graphics wise... I guess after playing COD: MW2, everything looks horrible in the graphics department... any key concepts Im probably missing out on?

loke13

What do you all think of this game?? I have seen many commercials about it, just looks horrible graphics wise... I guess after playing COD: MW2, everything looks horrible in the graphics department... any key concepts Im probably missing out on?

1. Graphics don't make a game good.

2.From what i've seen the VA is pretty good. Not on Uncharted 2 level but very few games are.

3. Gameplay could be better there's no doubt about that. And combat could be smoother.

4. Dialogue stances are really interesting and assure replay value.

All in all I don't see this game winning game of the year. But is still a game people should definitely consider buying.

JohnnyLegend

Um, I hate to burst your bubble, but CoD: MW graphics are not that incredible. Yes--for a silky smooth, 60 frames per-second experience, sure, they're great. But some textures are choppy, things look (far) too shiny at times. Heck, the only things that look 'really' good are the characters hands and especially their gun. Other than that, the graphics are nothing to rave about.

Look at KillZone 2 (which has a colorful yet somewhat realistic approach), Metal Gear Solid 4, or most games made by CapCom (regardless of whether you like the gameplay or not). Heck, I might as well pitch in Gears of War 2 as being better. Not to mention the up and coming Halo Reach.

Kasrinok

I think MW2 graphics are stunning.. havent played any of the other games other than gears.. I think they did really good detailing on both and I know what you mean by shiny.. bugs me a lot.. I still like the game though

loke13

The german review translated:

Our test for Alpha Protocol has shown that the RPG from Sega and Obsidian Entertainment a wild roller coaster ride in the style of 24 or The Bourne Identity. The game you skin your decisions, especially later in the game, relentlessly around the ears. The Gameply is incredibly diverse and is changing so rapidly that a second or third play through complete risk assessment. The dialogue and characters are also imaginative and entertaining. Technically, you have to do with Alpha Protocol, however, compromises. The graphics are sharp and partly out of date, the save point system is a nuisance and the artificial intelligence has not earned its name many times. Which are in themselves permanently annoying mini-games on the PC also the main frustration point where they are clearly designed to operate with the gamepad. Nevertheless, Alpha Protocol is a thoroughly enjoyable RPG with amazing choice and varied gameplay.

Positive:
Story, characters and atmosphere: If Jack Bauer and James Bond is to be with Michael Thorton directly warm. The story presents itself as a genuine agent thrillers and waiting always surprises with. You never know who you can trust and just rush through half the world to plot on the ropes to get a large. The characters you meet are in sometimes bizarre but always credible and enrich the gameplay noticeably. With well-written dialogues and cutscenes in the game graphics Alpha Protocol also holds the suspense high and constant entertainment tastes with thus very well. Since it does not interfere, that the total of 130 hours as an English voice only available with German subtitles dialog.

Decisions and freedom: Alpha Protocol will be in almost all missions to choose how you want to proceed. You can sneak or shoot yap, technical finesse, or act with brutal thugs give. Sun mission, each unique and varied. Same time, each agency bermekbar at what impact your decisions crass again ever have. The nice lady or save a museum full of tourists? The arms dealer shot or pardon? The guards by moving or persuade? Always keep your Alpha Protocol decisions as a mirror in front of your 'mission changed the course of the game and depending on what choice you have made. This motivates and contributes significantly to the fascination of the title. So it pays to just under 30 hours after the passage of the first game again to start over.

Character Development: Even as a true RPG Alpha Protocol is reflected well. For each successful action, you get experience points, which lead to level up. More points in a particular skill will affect appreciably. If you are inexperienced in dealing with assault rifles, you will meet very little. Invest enough points but, Thorton shoots noticeably better. The same applies to melee - or technical skills. So you always have the feeling that your agent to continuously develop. At the same time gives you Alpha Protocol always small successes in the form of so-called benefits. Example 75 who overwhelmed the enemy unseen, moves in a row, 20 percent quieter. Since messages such benefits by the minute at the bottom of the screen show up on, to motivate them particularly well to cope with a mission.

Items and Outside Employment : Alpha Protocol gives your hero a lot of armor, weapons and gadgets. These can be found either in the missions or buy between use of a dealer. For armor and weapons you also buy upgrades in several stages. The pros and cons of a purchase are neatly into a menu with the newly created piece of equipment weighed fine. Especially the variety of items from Alpha Protocol makes a much deeper role than, say, Mass Effect 2, even though both rely heavily on action title. In addition, make clear the nature of the game Aurüstung noticeable when you sample or to distract opponents via Täuschsensor thanks armor upgrade locks wildfire crack in. Who wants to dive deeper into gameplay and story still has to Obsidian Entertainment and e-file system built one with which you always return to characters and groups to access information and even information, can you sell to raise money retract. A nice sideline, launched at the story and your relationship with other characters affects.

Varied environments: Alpha Protocol sends you, no agent in movie style, through the world history. Does the first chapter in Saudi Arabia, please feel free to subsequently, which of the three venues Rome, Taipei and Moscow as you next visit. The environments are designed very differently and always provide surprises. Once you instigate a shooting on a luxury yacht, sometimes you infiltrate the house of a underworld boss, on the kitschy '80s decor is total, sometimes you are in Rome by assassinating an excavation site. The individual levels are carefully designed and detailed and are constantly a general enlightenment.

Some of the review doesn't make much sense but you can get the main idea.

Page 2:
Negative:

Artificial Intelligence: Especially in a role playing game, the slow and heavily relies on shootings, one should hope for a good artificial intelligence. Unfortunately, Alpha Protocol not score points here. Time and again you run enemies directly in front of the gun or hang a corner of the game world securely. Go to the right place to take cover, you can even rows of opponents as they do a point to stop and certain to leave to shoot without hesitation.

Mini Games : Castles In order to crack to hack or bypass terminals to three mini-games you need a master of the later course of the game will be in serious. Soon these small nerves deposits. This is mainly due to the lack of implementation of console to PC. Use the example on the console or the trigger to each cylinder of a lock to balance, move your mouse on the PC up and down. Because these mini-games often need to come on at some points of frustration when, for the thousandth time by an unsuccessful attempt by the alarm goes off. Fortunately, you can plug in a gamepad option but to play with it too.

Obsolete Technology: Graphic Alpha Protocol is not on the amount of time. Textures, especially on floors or on walls, and see detailarm washed out. Characters and objects are also the present day for extremely angular. In cutscenes, however the faces of the characters come across well. The blurring effect of the obsidian used to feature flashbacks to look strange. The animations of the main character, especially in stealth effect, silly.

jumping, climbing, camouflage, store: A few small points to annoy Alpha Protocol. You may at certain points only climb or jump, which in times of Splinter Cell: Conviction and Assassin's Creed has plenty of antiquated second Who wants more action in Covert, who is annoyed that there is no display screen, which tells you whether you are just disguised. For PC disciples is also annoying that you can not save free but on by the program set relatively fair, save points are dependent.

Short for Alpha Protocol:

- Alpha Protocol relies on the DRM protection Uniloc. You must enable deas game once online and then you can play offline. This goes on up to five different computers. The individual activations can be undone.
- Alpha Protocol is a purely single-player role-playing, there's no multiplayer mode.
- Hardware requirements:
Minimum : P4 3.4 GHz / Athlon 64 3200 +, Geforce
7900 GT / Radeon X1950 Pro, a GB RAM
(Win XP) / 2 GB RAM (Windows Vista or 7)
Recommended : CPU: Core 2 Duo E8400/Phenom II
X3 720 BE, Geforce GTX 260/Radeon HD 4870
(1 GB), 2 GB RAM (Win XP) / 4 GB RAM (Windows
Vista or 7)

Zen

Silver Member
Awards
I'm worried that Fallout: NV will be disappointing now...

I'm not

Great stories are something Obsidian is known for, which happens to be the weakest part in Bethesda's games. Other than a few gameplay mechanics, Alpha Protocol seems like something worth trying out.

Alpha Protocol does take a couple hours to hit its stride, but once the player learns to get creative with their earned skills and gadgets, it become easy to master the later missions, regardless of what city is chosen last. Obsidian has delivered a title with relatively deep character-building without the time commitment of a traditional RPG. The fast-paced action scenes makes Alpha Protocol all the more inviting to replay after the credits roll the first time around. Moreover, the majority of the achievements are story-related and it can take as little as 3 or 4 playthoughs to discover all the outcomes. While it is not exactly "Metal Gear with experience points," it does bring some very intriguing and compelling storytelling devices to the table - something that this reviewer is convinced will see again in a Tom Clancy-esque universe years from now. If Obsidian is not interested in a follow up, perhaps a company like Ubisoft might be.

http://www.examiner.com/examiner/x-13269-Gaming-Lifestyle-Examiner~y2010m5d28-Alpha-Protocol-review

loke13

Hmmm thats a nice review.

"Sega’s Constantin Hantzopoulos has confirmed that Alpha Protocol 2 is in its early development stages. Speaking on the 1UP podcast (which we mentioned recently), Constantin reveals that the publisher are already looking at a sequel for the soon to be released Alpha Protocol. He says:

I’ve got some folks playing it [ed: Alpha Protocol] right now internally, and, you know, basically coming up with some concepts for, eventually, AP2.

The second hint that a sequel to the RPG spy-fest is coming is when Constantin touches upon the bug fixing process for the first Alpha Protocol game. Revealing that developer Obsidian have reduced the amount of bugs in the game from a staggering 40,000 to “almost none”, the Sega manager also touches upon what some people refer to as “bugs” becoming what’s known in the industry as “features”. Such elements, as long as they don’t detract from the quality of the game, are not removed before shipping. Interestingly, he then goes on to state that Alpha Protocol’s “features” might be something they’ll look at when making Alpha Protocol 2. Regarding these opportunities, Constantin explains:

It’s the old slap on the head, looking back, and saying ‘What were we thinking?’ but sometimes you just go ‘We’ll shelve it for AP2.’

One podcast, two references. It looks like Sega are exceptionally happy with the prospects of the first game, and a second Michael Thorton adventure is almost inevitable."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back