• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

Kingdom Hearts Trivia: #41

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.

Sign

trapped in revamp hell
Staff member
Awards

Every now and then, someone will dig back into old booklets and magazines and discover a hidden treasure; a unique piece of artwork or comment from a staff member revealing a precious secret. These things have often been dismissed as not being worth anyone's attention at first glance, but when you come back upon it, it's like discovering a diamond in the rough.

Today's trivia falls within this category, and is brought to you by forum member hemmoheikkinen, who recently flipped through his copy of the Kingdom Hearts 2 Final Mix+ Ultimania and uncovered some familiar pieces of artwork with comments by Director Tetsuya Nomura. One of these comments caught our eye, and thanks to Zephyr, you can read it below:

I'm really sorry. It was already too late by the time I noticed. I painted the colors of Riku's clothes incorrectly. In order to show my foolishness, it will be posted as it is. For many fans, I'm really sorry.

[Original Except]

You're probably wondering what exactly Nomura is referring to. When has Riku been colored wrong? And why was it such a big deal? We've provided some comparison images below.

Click to enlarge!

On the left, you'll see the menu for Reverse/Rebirth in Re:Chain of Memories on the PS2. The menu on the right depicts the menu as show in HD 1.5 ReMix. Notice anything odd? And what if we took a look at the boxart on the PS2 release?

Yes, that's it. It looks like Nomura accidentally colored Riku's clothes wrong in this artwork, and didn't catch it until after the game had already been released in Japan with Kingdom Hearts 2 Final Mix. Although he was able to fix the mistake for the North American boxart in time, the image within the game remained the same until the HD remaster, released almost 5 years later.

Previous trivia: [1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [15] [16] [17] [18] [19] [20] [21] [22] [23] [24] [25] [26] [27] [28] [29] [30] [31] [32] [33] [34] [35] [36] [37] [38] [39] [40]

Zephyr

Memory of Melodies
Staff member
Awards
I'm surprised Nomura actually colored Riku's back wrong. His artwork always seemed so flawless. Even in the incorrect version, it still looks pretty.

Ruran

Flesh by mother, soul by father
Awards
This kind of stuff makes me wish that I knew Japanese (I tried to learn but I was lazy didn't have time :I) and had the Ultimanias. They're probably a treasure trove of little tidbits like this, but the focus is mainly on the interviews.

I'm surprised Nomura actually colored Riku's back wrong. His artwork always seemed so flawless. Even in the incorrect version, it still looks pretty.

You'd be surprised at all the little "quirks" in his art when you really look at them. The box art for 1.5 for instance is notorious for its flaws.

Sign

trapped in revamp hell
Staff member
Awards
The KH3D promo art was super rushed. There are a lot of spots where color seeped outside of the lines and whatnot xD

nevershoutalex

so in trivia 4 end of the world i never fight riku? is that included in the final mix game? and if it is what do i have to do to fight him? or was that a gameplay that they took off from the kh game? i wanna know more about the crumbling island battle of sora vs riku?

Oracle Spockanort

written in the stars
Staff member
Awards
Website
twitter.com
so in trivia 4 end of the world i never fight riku? is that included in the final mix game? and if it is what do i have to do to fight him? or was that a gameplay that they took off from the kh game? i wanna know more about the crumbling island battle of sora vs riku?

The Crumbling Island was an area that was left on the game disk but is not actually visited. In the KH1 Ultimania, it talks about how this area was 90% complete before they scrapped it and the Riku battle they had planned for the area. The video is just a fan-mod using the data left in the game and Riku 2's battle script.

It is not actually playable.

RuffPuff

Filthy Turnip
Awards
I was wondering what he was talking about when I read that quote; I thought he was referring to the KH2: Final Mix box art.
Anyway, it's not that big of a deal. :p

Zephyr

Memory of Melodies
Staff member
Awards
I was wondering what he was talking about when I read that quote; I thought he was referring to the KH2: Final Mix box art.
Anyway, it's not that big of a deal. :p

Actually it's on the KH2FM boxart too but it's not as obvious.

hemmoheikkinen

Dear Kafka
Awards
Wow! I have actually given this site something new and useful. I feel special now. :)
Anyway, I was planning to get most of the Ultimamias since I found a good site where to order them. It would be interesting to see if Nomura has made any more comments concerning his previous art. But know I`m not sure anymore since the Memoria Ultimania is coming. I might get if I find it. Was that it would cover all the games from KH1 to DDD?

Oracle Spockanort

written in the stars
Staff member
Awards
Website
twitter.com
So, I never noticed this at all but for Nomura as an artist this was a big "how could this happen" moment xD I hope he didn't let him bother him too much. I doubt very few noticed until reading the passage back then (and now) and honestly it is interesting to see what Riku's shirt would be like if the yellow was on the back xD

Was that it would cover all the games from KH1 to DDD?

Yes, it will cover all games from KH1-KH3D but the thing is that we don't know what exactly will be in the book art-wise xD

It's worth it imo, and so are the old Ultimanias

Sign

trapped in revamp hell
Staff member
Awards
Hmmm, I've got the KH2 and BBS Ultimania. I wonder if there's anything else we skipped over back in the day...

Edit: WE BYPASSED ALL THE DEV STAFF INTERVIEWS IN BBS WHAT

Looks like we were too focused on the producer and director interviews way in the back lol

Sign

trapped in revamp hell
Staff member
Awards
I'm going to scan them later ;~;

Gram

Banned
Awards
It's amazing what you never notice you didn't notice till you notice it. o_o

bazimon

EVEN WHEN HE MAKES MISTAKES HIS ART IS PERFECT!!!!

(sits in corner and cries due to his inability to draw)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back