Should there be Marvel in Kingdom Hearts? Join the discussion on our forums!

Kingdom Hearts Trivia: #39

It's not often that we have the chance to hear voice actors from the series speak about their experiences recording for their roles and their opinions about the characters themselves. Attendees of Anime Conji 2012 received a rare opportunity to meet none other than David Gallagher, well known for his roles as 7th Heaven's Simon Camden and of course, Kingdom Hearts' Riku.

Over the years, he has voiced various characters for the series with connections to the newly appointed Keyblade Master: the Riku Replica and young Master Xehanort in Birth by Sleep before Ben Diskin was officially cast. His voice is no stranger at all to veterans of the series, and fans eagerly look forward to every new installment, as Riku has been the only character to consistently feature in each title.

At Anime Conji 2012, he revealed a rather interesting piece of information that both delighted and astounded members of the community. Having grown up with gaming and especially the Legend of Zelda series, he admitted to becoming overexcited when it comes to "Fight Day" (the final day of recording for battle cries) and having to hold himself back from sounding too much like Link, which is what his mind automatically associates with battle. He doesn't want to sound like Link and wishes to create his own sound, but no one is perfect so some minor influences may slip out.

Next time you're playing Kingdom Hearts or the Legend of Zelda, why not try to see if you can pick up any similarities?

Source: David Gallagher Anime Conji 2012 Panel

Previous trivia: [1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [15] [16] [17] [18] [19] [20] [21] [22] [23] [24] [25] [26] [27] [28] [29] [30] [31] [32] [33] [34] [35] [36] [37] [38]

COMMENTS

Sign

August 4, 2013 @ 02:24 amOffline

#dork4lyfe

Will do my best to listen closely for similarities next time!

Guard

August 4, 2013 @ 02:25 amOffline

Wow that is actually p cool

Spoiler Spoiler: HYEAAAAAAAH Show

ajmrowland

August 4, 2013 @ 04:29 amOffline

Have yet to get into Zelda, but if I do in the near future, I'll definitely listen.

Sign

August 4, 2013 @ 04:34 amOffline

let us know if you can hear anything interesting! :D

Wow that is actually p cool

Spoiler Spoiler: HYEAAAAAAH Show
i aint gonna download that attachment guard

Guard

August 4, 2013 @ 04:36 amOffline

pffft my bad I shall fix

EDIT: done

rjk42

August 4, 2013 @ 04:43 amOffline

lol now that I think about it, he does kinda remind me of link screaming in chain of memories

Shasta

August 4, 2013 @ 04:57 pmOffline

Now that really is cool! I only noticed a few of his battle cries from CoM and Kingdom Hearts sounded like Link's from OoT, haven't heard any sounds that mimic Twilight Princess, Windwaker or Skyward Sword

kupo1121

August 5, 2013 @ 12:04 amOffline

lol It's like hindsight bias lol Now that I know he might sound similar to think, I'm tricking myself into thinking that I knew it all along and could hear the similarities haha xD That's very interesting though, TRIVIA!!!!

Anagram

August 5, 2013 @ 04:20 amOffline

lol This actually kinda made my day since I grew up on Zelda as well.

Rydgea

August 5, 2013 @ 06:53 pmOffline

How funny. I picked up Ocarina of Time 3DS last week. I have yet to play it, and my Zelda virginity will be takeeen~

*will listen for DavidasRikuasLink battlecries*

Checkerboard

August 7, 2013 @ 01:13 amOffline

Now I'll never be able to listen to Riku during battle without trying to pick out the similarities, haha! And now that I think about it, Riku did kind of sound like Link sometimes, especially in CoM.

©2012 KHInsider. KINGDOM HEARTS official artwork, trailers, characters, merchandise, and music is copyrighted to Square Enix and Disney.
Please read our privacy policy for more information.