• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

Nintendo

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS

Will you be buying the Nintendo Switch at launch?

• Yes

Votes: 15 25.9%
  • No

Votes: 30 51.7%
  • Maybe

Votes: 13 22.4%

• Total voters

Sora2016

Silver Member
Awards
On today's installment of Team Real or Team Fake:

DaYlw90V4AAQPoG.jpg

DaYlw91VwAIneJV.jpg

You'd think in this day & age leakers would at least have the decency to record some blurry video.

I mean even if its fake, we all know its coming anyway lol.

Would the HUD look the same as New Leaf like that? I like the ideas of Brewster's having a patio. And Globetrotter is...an interesting hint at some gimmicky new thing but I dunno what lol. I just hope I can transfer all these event items I have been working my ass off to get in Pocket Camp to it, or something :p Though if I can, I literally will have a harder time deciding how to decorate my houses than ever...there is such nice stuff.

MATGSY

Silver Member
Awards
They sell at full price because people are buying them at full price.

Magnus

Silver Member
Awards
I bet the cartridges alone add €10 to the MSRP by default. Although it's weird to me how so many Switch fans seem to be content with not only receiving but continuously begging for so many ports of games that haven't been hot for years. It feels like some people let them off the hook with the excuse that "hey it's portable so it's perfect on Switch!". I'm wondering where all the third party support is, beyond all the hand-me-downs and downgraded ports.

Harmonie

Crazy Woodwind Lady
Awards
That image confuses me because it includes ports from Nintendo's own systems, not just third party titles that were originally exclusive to Sony/Microsoft consoles.

I can't disagree with the notion that Nintendo overprices everything, though. The fact that they released The Wind Waker HD and Twilight Princess HD separately and for full-price is just ridiculous. I looked up TPHD a month or two ago and it was still full price at Target. So absurd.

Ovafaze

idyllic dream
Awards
why can't you guys just blindly love Nintendo like I do and post positive things about Nintendo like how they can make playing with literal cardboard a fun activity. It's pretty amazing really.

I would pay whatever Nintendo ask for a HD Zelda remake.
I have too much expendable income tbh...I'm the worst kind of Nintendo fan.

Harmonie

Crazy Woodwind Lady
Awards
An HD remake? Maybe. An HD remaster? No, just no.

Somehow Kingdom Hearts I and II each got the full HD remastered treatment, got bundled with another remastered game, and saw sales immediately, and price drops not too much later. Then a PS4 version that consolidated all of it and, a year, later costs only $30. On top of that, Kingdom Hearts I and II saw fully remade OSTs using actual instruments.

Meanwhile the Zelda HD remasters were released individually for $60 a piece, never get put on sale, and look at Twilight Princess HD. Still $50 two years after release. (I think it actually was still $60 at Target not too long ago, but I just checked it and it does now say $50... Hm. Still bad, though.). And the OSTs? Hope you enjoy decade plus old MIDIs. Granted, the KH remade OST treatment is not something I expect from remasters, BUT when remasters are sold individually for full price with no sales or price drops for a long time I sure as heck expect them to be worth it. Oh and both TWWHD and TPHD were incorrectly marketed as remakes, even though they're nothing but remasters. This just agitates me so deeply.

Bundle together TWWHD and TPHD and you have a fine product, especially if the price drops like the KH remasters, but... How Nintendo does it, it is a ripoff. There's no ifs ands or buts about it.

Chuman

Dad of Boy
Awards
i do notice you excluded the majora’s mask and OoT remakes on 3DS. yea, actual remakes, which dropped in price like any old game. granted i do find it kind of absurd how pricey some of these titles can get, but i imagine much of that was due to the difficulty of developing for Wii U? now the big N is playing catch up for current gen and squeezing all these demanding titles on the switch. not defending them, but i will say that the switch version is the absolute best running version of skyrim on console- which is pretty damn impressive especially after we got the special edition one year before which intended to be the end all.

of course, one game is not representative of a hardware cycle as a whole. though i guess if one game could define the switch it may very well be skyrim switch. something i never would have asked for, never knew i wanted, but i’m glad i got it and was willing to pay more for it (which i did). does that make me part of the problem? maybe, but if nintendo is delivering consistently quality products that leavs fans like myself satisfied and pleasantly surprised, then where IS the problem? besides- square enix did much worse with ffxv and they got away with it so give my boi reggie a break.

MATGSY

Silver Member
Awards
Tropical Freeze Switch should've been bundled with DKC Returns.

Harmonie

Crazy Woodwind Lady
Awards
i do notice you excluded the majora’s mask and OoT remakes on 3DS. yea, actual remakes, which dropped in price like any old game.

Just looked up Majora's Mask 3D. It's still listed at $40. Wasn't that game released back in 2014 or 2015? No price drop there, in three years. OOT3D they finally put as a "selects" title. But do you know how long ago it was released? 2011. Seven years ago. It BETTER have dropped in price by now. Again, go back to Kingdom Hearts. The remaster collection was released around a year ago and has already significantly dropped in price, and it had already done that quite some time ago. Plus, the KH remasters went on sale pretty much immediately after they were released (I know because I got II.5 on sale like a month after it was released, and got II.8 on sale just two months after it was released. This is how non-Nintendo companies do it. They even do it with new games.

Besides, OOT3D and MM3D while "technically" being remakes are designed so perfectly to look and feel like remastered ports of OOT and MM with new texture maps (with an actually good redesigned model here and there, but that's rare) that I don't really hold them highly either. Despite being remakes they even used the same OST as the original (if there was any difference, you really have to be an audiophile to be able to tell it). Yes, a game that is actually a remake, didn't actually remake an OST from the N64 days. I know that OOT and MM's OSTs are classics, but it's still no excuse at this point. The originals exist, the OSTs are easy to find. Heck, they could even pull a Pokemon and put the original OST in the game as optional instead of hearing the remade one.

I just really don't see the Zelda remakes and remasters as examples of these "quality" products that Nintendo fans brag so much about. Sure, they work. But so do the KH remasters, and they were bundled together, went on sale quickly, and then permanently reduced in price quickly. There's no excuse for Nintendo.

Chuman

Dad of Boy
Awards
1.5 and 2.5 were broken messes that had to be rereleased again just to fix some of their issues. not to mention there are numerous models that weren’t remastered, bugs and exploits from the original versions never fixed, and they play like the year they released. kh1 final mix was incredibly rough to play, whereas wind waker HD ran better than most modern titles. if you wanted to compare remakes/remasters, not sure why you’re picking one of the weakest devs in that aspect. it’d make more sense to use bluepoint as their remasters are a much higher quality than 1.5/2.5. is this argument based mostly in the price of the games?

Ovafaze

idyllic dream
Awards
An HD remake? Maybe. An HD remaster? No, just no.

Somehow Kingdom Hearts I and II each got the full HD remastered treatment, got bundled with another remastered game, and saw sales immediately, and price drops not too much later. Then a PS4 version that consolidated all of it and, a year, later costs only $30. On top of that, Kingdom Hearts I and II saw fully remade OSTs using actual instruments.

Meanwhile the Zelda HD remasters were released individually for $60 a piece, never get put on sale, and look at Twilight Princess HD. Still $50 two years after release. (I think it actually was still $60 at Target not too long ago, but I just checked it and it does now say $50... Hm. Still bad, though.). And the OSTs? Hope you enjoy decade plus old MIDIs. Granted, the KH remade OST treatment is not something I expect from remasters, BUT when remasters are sold individually for full price with no sales or price drops for a long time I sure as heck expect them to be worth it. Oh and both TWWHD and TPHD were incorrectly marketed as remakes, even though they're nothing but remasters. This just agitates me so deeply.

Bundle together TWWHD and TPHD and you have a fine product, especially if the price drops like the KH remasters, but... How Nintendo does it, it is a ripoff. There's no ifs ands or buts about it.

To be fair, Zelda is better then Kingdom Hearts in my opinion and decade old midis are the shit, especially those classics by Koji Kondo. Don't be a hater on the big N.
Not everyone owned the failure of a system known as the Wii2- I mean wiiU.
Nintendo charges more for Zelda games and keeps the prices high because they are qaulity games and have the name Zelda attached to them.

Last edited:

Ballad of Caius

Player 💀
Awards
I bet the cartridges alone add €10 to the MSRP by default.
This right here. It's the reason why a lot of people were against Nintendo going cartridge with the Switch instead of using discs like how Sony and Microsoft do. Catridges are a helluva lot better than dics in terms of quality, but in terms of price, discs are hella cheaper like it were CocaCola buying corn syrup. Not to mention that Sony can do its own discs. But it was logical for Nintendo to go catridge, seeing as how the Switch would have needed a much more complex cooling system in order to keep the Switch cool, seeing as how a disc reader is constantly running, whereas a catridge reads once and that's it.

Although it's weird to me how so many Switch fans seem to be content with not only receiving but continuously begging for so many ports of games that haven't been hot for years.
Who wouldn't want to play their favorite game on-the-go?

The fact that they released The Wind Waker HD and Twilight Princess HD separately and for full-price is just ridiculous. I looked up TPHD a month or two ago and it was still full price at Target. So absurd.
Why would you expect them to release both WW and TP together? The WWHD game was internally developed by Nintendo, then they outsourced TPHD to Tantalus and another developer. Also, both of those games cost $49.99, which isn't the standard Wii U price of $59.99. The only time one of those games cost $59.99 was because it came bundled with the Wolf Link amiibo, which was TPHD. Not to mention that WWHD is now $19.99 because it's part of the Nintendo Select titles. Also, it's worth mentioning that Nintendo games maintain a consistent sales volume, reason as to why they never go down in price up until a couple of years later. It's the reason why games such as Call of Duty go down in price a hell of a lot faster. What a Nintendo game takes year to achieve in terms of sales numbers, Call of Duty does it in a matter of weeks. Once the market has been pleased, what's the sense of keeping a CoD game at $59.99 still?

I would pay whatever Nintendo ask for a HD Zelda remake.
I have too much expendable income tbh...I'm the worst kind of Nintendo fan.
I'd pay $59.99 for an HD remake of OoT 3D or MM3D. Either ports or real remakes, though I think remaking OoT would be one hell of task on Nintendo's part. It would literally be their own FFVII Remake-esque project.

later costs only $30.
I bought the bundled ReMixes on my PS4 a week ago. The game isn't $30, it's 49.99

Meanwhile the Zelda HD remasters were released individually for $60 a piece,
Again, they were not priced for $59.99

never get put on sale, and look at Twilight Princess HD. Still $50 two years after release. (I think it actually was still $60 at Target not too long ago, but I just checked it and it does now say $50... Hm. Still bad, though.). And the OSTs? Hope you enjoy decade plus old MIDIs. Granted, the KH remade OST treatment is not something I expect from remasters, BUT when remasters are sold individually for full price with no sales or price drops for a long time I sure as heck expect them to be worth it. Oh and both TWWHD and TPHD were incorrectly marketed as remakes, even though they're nothing but remasters. This just agitates me so deeply.

And the OSTs? Hope you enjoy decade plus old MIDIs. Granted, the KH remade OST treatment is not something I expect from remasters, BUT when remasters are sold individually for full price with no sales or price drops for a long time I sure as heck expect them to be worth it.
I mean, I enjoy an orchestrated OST, but some games are better off with their original songs. I sure as hell wouldn't play any Ace Attorney games with their orchestrated songs. And at last hour, Remasters are a quick cash grab. From a business point of view, it makes no sense whatsoever to allocate resources to projects that don't need that much effort to begin with. Granted, I'm not saying companies shouldn't go the extra mile, but it's kind of understandable as to why they wouldn't go.

Oh and both TWWHD and TPHD were incorrectly marketed as remakes, even though they're nothing but remasters. This just agitates me so deeply.
From a coding point of view, those games are essentially remakes. You essentially as a consumer are experiencing the same thing you've experienced before, but a programmer had to start that project up from zero. It's the reason why there's a thin line between an enhanced port, a remake and a remaster.

You can't compare Zelda with KH. KH has a continuous story; whereas TLoZ doesn't. Which is why I don't think it makes sense to bundle both WW and TP. Like, I know that Nintendo has bundled their Zelda games before, but that was doing the GameCube era. They haven't done that since then, and I don't think they will, seeing as how they'll using ports to spreadout their Switch lineup of games. I'm honestly expecting them to port WWHD, TPHD and make a Skyward Sword remaster, but release them very separate from each other, and not bundled together.

but i imagine much of that was due to the difficulty of developing for Wii U?
This is another good point.

of course, one game is not representative of a hardware cycle as a whole. though i guess if one game could define the switch it may very well be skyrim switch. something i never would have asked for, never knew i wanted, but i’m glad i got it and was willing to pay more for it (which i did). does that make me part of the problem? maybe, but if nintendo is delivering consistently quality products that leavs fans like myself satisfied and pleasantly surprised, then where IS the problem? besides- square enix did much worse with ffxv and they got away with it so give my boi reggie a break.
Personally, portability adds value to a game. And we're talking about home console experience games, not traditional handheld software. And yeah, Reggie isn't Nintendo's, nor is Kimmishima, own Yoichi Wada. Glad those days are finally over.

Just looked up Majora's Mask 3D. It's still listed at $40. Wasn't that game released back in 2014 or 2015? No price drop there, in three years. OOT3D they finally put as a "selects" title. But do you know how long ago it was released? 2011. Seven years ago. It BETTER have dropped in price by now. Again, go back to Kingdom Hearts. The remaster collection was released around a year ago and has already significantly dropped in price, and it had already done that quite some time ago. Plus, the KH remasters went on sale pretty much immediately after they were released (I know because I got II.5 on sale like a month after it was released, and got II.8 on sale just two months after it was released. This is how non-Nintendo companies do it. They even do it with new games.

Besides, OOT3D and MM3D while "technically" being remakes are designed so perfectly to look and feel like remastered ports of OOT and MM with new texture maps (with an actually good redesigned model here and there, but that's rare) that I don't really hold them highly either. Despite being remakes they even used the same OST as the original (if there was any difference, you really have to be an audiophile to be able to tell it). Yes, a game that is actually a remake, didn't actually remake an OST from the N64 days. I know that OOT and MM's OSTs are classics, but it's still no excuse at this point. The originals exist, the OSTs are easy to find. Heck, they could even pull a Pokemon and put the original OST in the game as optional instead of hearing the remade one.

I just really don't see the Zelda remakes and remasters as examples of these "quality" products that Nintendo fans brag so much about. Sure, they work. But so do the KH remasters, and they were bundled together, went on sale quickly, and then permanently reduced in price quickly. There's no excuse for Nintendo.
Also, I forgot to mention that sometimes it's best to play it safe when remastering/remaking old games, seeing as how fans hold them to high regards, and even changing the music can erk a lot of them.

1.5 and 2.5 were broken messes that had to be rereleased again just to fix some of their issues. not to mention there are numerous models that weren’t remastered, bugs and exploits from the original versions never fixed, and they play like the year they released. kh1 final mix was incredibly rough to play, whereas wind waker HD ran better than most modern titles. if you wanted to compare remakes/remasters, not sure why you’re picking one of the weakest devs in that aspect. it’d make more sense to use bluepoint as their remasters are a much higher quality than 1.5/2.5. is this argument based mostly in the price of the games?
This is another point. Nintendo polishes their games a lot. Sure, you can find glitches in them, but not as frequent and plentiful as other company properties.

To be fair, Zelda is better then Kingdom Hearts in my opinion and decade old midis are the shit, especially those classics by Koji Kondo. Don't be a hater on the big N.
Nintendo charges more for Zelda games and keeps the prices high because they are qaulity games and have the name Zelda attached to them.
Pretty much this. It's all about brand recognition, even though Zelda isn't as popular as Mario and Pokemon, and Zelda is more popular here in the west than in the East.

Harmonie

Crazy Woodwind Lady
Awards

Oh, hon. Nintendo consoles are always the first I buy. Nintendo franchises are pretty much the only ones at the top of my list, with the only exceptions being Kingdom Hearts, The Sims (The Sims 4 is not worth the money, though, so we can forget about that franchise for now) and maybe now Ace Attorney (got into the franchise a couple of years ago).

I love the old Zelda games and all of their OSTs. I have bought every Zelda OST I could find.

...But I refuse to blindly follow Nintendo. When I see their competitors doing things better and for cheaper prices I will not just sit back and take it. Nintendo may have great franchises, but Nintendo is far from perfect. I refuse to give them preferential treatment. Not all of their entries to their franchises are gems, either.

The original Pokemon OSTs are timeless to me, but when I buy Pokemon remakes I always look forward to hearing new renditions. Even if I don't like all of them as much, at least the effort was put into it. That effort is so appreciated.

I'm not going to deny for even one second that there were bugs in the KH releases... But I will say this - I never ran into even one of them. Again, my point is not that they aren't there, but that... How noticeable are they really? I thought KHI Final Remix played so much smoother than I remember it play on the PS2.

I mean, I've run into glitches in Nintendo games over the years... Animal Crossing, Pokemon, Mario Kart, Super Smash Bros, Super Mario Sunshine, etc. But all of these glitches I have only run across because I really went into depth playing these games. I feel like it must be the same way for KH, because I just never really ran into them. Thus, they aren't game-breaking for me at all, the same goes for the aforementioned games.

Why would you expect them to release both WW and TP together? The WWHD game was internally developed by Nintendo, then they outsourced TPHD to Tantalus and another developer. Also, both of those games cost $49.99, which isn't the standard Wii U price of $59.99. The only time one of those games cost $59.99 was because it came bundled with the Wolf Link amiibo, which was TPHD. Not to mention that WWHD is now $19.99 because it's part of the Nintendo Select titles.

I don't know about TWWHD, but I'll take your word for it (I got it for free with the Mario Kart 8 deal back in the day). I expect them to be bundled together because they're both GCN Zelda games and should never have been released for the price they were. The Wolf Link Amiibo should have never hiked the price up to $60. The game was never worth even half of that. I say that with Twilight Princess being my third favorite Zelda game. I love Twilight Princess. TPHD was such a ripoff to me.

I bought the bundled ReMixes on my PS4 a week ago. The game isn't $30, it's 49.99

I mean, I haven't consistently Googled it, but every single time I have and I did a few months ago as well, it always rings up at $29.99 on Google shopping search. Right now it is labeled as $30 at Best Buy, as it was back then.

Again, they were not priced for $59.99

My mistake. $49.99 is still waaaaayyyy too much for a remastered port, especially when prices take forever to drop and there are never sales.

I mean, I enjoy an orchestrated OST, but some games are better off with their original songs. I sure as hell wouldn't play any Ace Attorney games with their orchestrated songs.

OSTs don't even have to be orchestrated to be remade. They can just redo the MIDIs, they've done this with Pokemon remakes. Yes not every new remake is as good as the originals... But that's what I expect with a remake. I'm paying good money, I want things remade.

Here's an example of an updated MIDI remake of Ocarina of Time's Hyrule Field. It originated in Super Smash Bros Brawl, and is actually a perfect example of it being updated but still playing it very conservative.

[video=youtube;7KyBzwCkIio]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7KyBzwCkIio[/video]

Oh, and if Ace Attorney games were ever remade, I would expect at least the treatment from above. And you know what? I bet they would do it. Remaking a game with the exact same decades old OST is just unacceptable. Even orchestration can be conservative. The Kingdom Hearts remade OSTs are very, very, very conservative.

The 15th Anniversary Ace Attorney orchestra performances are also generally pretty conservative. I really enjoy them.

And Twilight Princess? That OST just screams to be orchestrated. Hearing a MIDI English horn play Midna's Theme in 2016 just wasn't so good to me after hearing KH's remade OSTS. I know, remasters should not quite have that expectation put upon them... But when remasters cost as much as Nintendo's I darn well have expectations from them. It was the least they could have done.

From a coding point of view, those games are essentially remakes. You essentially as a consumer are experiencing the same thing you've experienced before, but a programmer had to start that project up from zero. It's the reason why there's a thin line between an enhanced port, a remake and a remaster.

The line can not be that thin. Twilight Princess HD is just Twilight Princess remastered in HD. It's a stark contrast from games which are actually remade.

You can't compare Zelda with KH. KH has a continuous story; whereas TLoZ doesn't. Which is why I don't think it makes sense to bundle both WW and TP. Like, I know that Nintendo has bundled their Zelda games before, but that was doing the GameCube era. They haven't done that since then, and I don't think they will, seeing as how they'll using ports to spreadout their Switch lineup of games. I'm honestly expecting them to port WWHD, TPHD and make a Skyward Sword remaster, but release them very separate from each other, and not bundled together.

My point is not about what they *will* do. I'm just saying I do not approve.

Besides, there is a Zelda timeline. I don't remember the details. I don't think that WW and TP are too close together... But OOT and MM are. The Wind Waker also makes direct references to the Hero of Time. These three games are all connected. OOT and MM are very directly connected. If OOT3D and MM3D are ever given HD remasters it would be fair to say they should be released together in a bundle by your logic.

Also, I forgot to mention that sometimes it's best to play it safe when remastering/remaking old games, seeing as how fans hold them to high regards, and even changing the music can erk a lot of them.

Not to be rude, but I seriously could not even possibly care less. Loyalists to the original OST have the original game with the original OST right in front of them. They can purchase an original copy, they can/have had the chance to purchase it on the VCs for the Wii and Wii U and I'm certain the opportunity will come up for the Switch as well (Ocarina of Time is a staple now). They also have Ocarina of Time 3D.

If a game is labeled as a remake, I expect a remade OST. Like it's a bare-bones expectation. I love the OOT/MM OSTs... But if I buy a remake, I darn well expect even them to be remade. Whether it's updated MIDI, conservative orchestration (like KH, admittedly would be hard to accomplish) or more drastic changes like you see in remade Pokemon games or even a Zelda example - A Link Between Worlds. (I do want to clarify that Pokemon FR/LG were actually more conservative updated MIDIs, while HG/SS and OR/AS took more liberties)

Last edited:
Back