• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

kh3 hopes?

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.

Oracle Spockanort

written in the stars
Staff member
Awards
Website
twitter.com
Romantic triangle...Ienzo...? Why?

Can’t we at least get some scenes where Sora and Kairi act like friends with each other before we start throwing them into romantic triangles? Or can we just not have the triangle at all? It already happened once with Sora and Riku.

All I want is a KH3 where Sora, Riku, and Kairi get some actual growth as friends. Put any potential romances on hold until the next saga. It doesn’t add anything to the series, and I’d argue romantic drama would only cheapen the story.

gosoxtim

Silver Member
Awards
Romantic triangle...Ienzo...? Why?

Can’t we at least get some scenes where Sora and Kairi act like friends with each other before we start throwing them into romantic triangles? Or can we just not have the triangle at all? It already happened once with Sora and Riku.

All I want is a KH3 where Sora, Riku, and Kairi get some actual growth as friends. Put any potential romances on hold until the next saga. It doesn’t add anything to the series, and I’d argue romantic drama would only cheapen the story.
agreed with you spockanort i just want to see kairi grow as a characther in kh3 before the romances but the problem some of might be with sora though spockanort as for riku i think most of the game he will be the relam of he darkness so it might hard to see the three toghter

Zul

Awards
Having a Disney princess or two (not more than that, to avoid repetition as stated above) call Sora handsome wouldn't really get in the way of any high-priority things KH3 has to take care of. As for anything more, I don't think the end of this saga really has a place for anything romance heavy, the focus should be Xehanort as it is likely the last time we'll see him.

As for a full-blown love triangle being introduced? No.

No.

Launchpad

i remember the OLD khinsider
Awards
I certainly don't want a romantic subplot. It'd feel both out of nowhere and completely unearned. I just want that very human component to exist on screen every now and then. If Nomura wants to put Sora and Kairi together like the last credit sequence of 2.8 showed, then he better work harder to earn that ending.

Regardless of where it ends, I really liked the Riku/Shiki scene. It was fluff, it meant nothing to either character in the long run, but it was surprisingly human, earnest, and funny.

DarkosOverlord

Bronze Member
Awards
This question here really depends on how one relates to the series and what they think was shown and portrayed on it.

Granted we can all agree romance isn't KH first goal, to someone like me who has seen Kairi and Sora as an established couple since the very beginning a romance subplot doesn't feel that forced or out of place.
Especially when, on a broader scope, romance is the base for many Disney stories and characters featured in the games. Sora getting some "cravings" after seeing/helping so many lovebirds around the universe feels like the most human and realistic thing to me.

And (again, according to my own tastes and interpretation) the fact that I thought most of the friendships shown were too forced, too sappy or just... bad, badly put together only adds up to me not wanting just a "friendship for friendship's sake" kind of story.
I mean, if it's there like it probably will no harm done, it's just something I'll probably gloss over unless it's very good.

VoidGear.

red gay
Awards
Granted we can all agree romance isn't KH first goal, to someone like me who has seen Kairi and Sora as an established couple since the very beginning a romance subplot doesn't feel that forced or out of place.
Especially when, on a broader scope, romance is the base for many Disney stories and characters featured in the games. Sora getting some "cravings" after seeing/helping so many lovebirds around the universe feels like the most human and realistic thing to me.

I think the "problem" with this is the general perception that everything and everyone in the world eventually comes down to desperately wanting a romantic relationship, which is simply false. Very often it seems to be the core element of the story, because, like you just said, it doesn't feel human or realistic to most people if a character does not eventually want to have any romantic ties in his life. And I must say I fail to understand that, as I don't think every real person must want romance to be "normal".

Chuman

Dad of Boy
Awards
this is sort of off-topic from the current debate but on-par for the thread’s course. i want the game to feel like a movie, i want it to give me that nostalgic and magical feeling! it won’t ever recapture that kh1 disney magic, so modernize it! i want to see screenwipes, i want the music to feel cinematic and the game to have elaborate plot twists, i want really cool and ridiculous moments like whole towers blowing up, the GoL spliting up, doing heists, defending the princesses, i want to see them all come together for really awesome battles!

look to unchsrted 4 as an example, and you don’t have to avoid QTEs entirely, Osaka. i realize they’re a part of AAA gaming. just use it sparingly and to integrate the fans, replace a cutscene with a plot-filled QTE and do not replace gameplay like a traversal sequence or bossfight with a QTE.

DarkosOverlord

Bronze Member
Awards
I think the "problem" with this is the general perception that everything and everyone in the world eventually comes down to desperately wanting a romantic relationship, which is simply false. Very often it seems to be the core element of the story, because, like you just said, it doesn't feel human or realistic to most people if a character does not eventually want to have any romantic ties in his life. And I must say I fail to understand that, as I don't think every real person must want romance to be "normal".

Of course something doesn't HAVE to be romantic in order to feel human: and people generally expecting romance on a basis is indeed a common element, sometimes misplaced (most common case: Terra and Aqua being shipped together merely for being a young man and a young woman who know each other)

That being said, romance is still vastly exploited because it's still a fairly common element and because for many it's the pinnacle of emotion (not to mention it's the huge pillar behind bith, therefore the perpetration of our species) and carrier of the greatest sentiment mankind ever felt and expressed.
It's not everything and everyone in the world that comes down to wanting a romantic relationship, but I'd say it's still the overwhelming majority.

I wasn't claiming Sora should develop (or hone what he could already have) romantic feelings by seeing others because this is the only course of actions for humans to be "normal", but because it's one of the most normal things in itself, it just is. People spending time around couples starting to develop a longing to have a partner, especially at the age Sora's in, it's a very common event, almost the norm.

alexis.anagram

pajamaモード
Awards
How do we know if they "believably" tie to their current somebody incarnations or not? you're just being assumptive there. If you learn about a new element of a character then that's character development. All of the Radiant Garden Organization members have new elements about their pre-established characters introduced. Even if it's small, it's something extra added to their character. Their roles may not have been important to the Birth by Sleep narrative but it was important in reaffirming what these characters were before entering the Organization.
This is more or less my feeling. There are different methods used to develop characters which are pertinent to their respective roles: with the Organization members, I think Nomura has anchored our understanding of their transition over time from human to Nobody in story precedent and has confidence that the audience can fill in the gaps in their characterization using an intuitive reading of their circumstances. "There is darkness in every heart" is a constant refrain throughout the series, and given these characters' close proximity to an exemplary manipulator of that darkness, it doesn't seem surprising or unlikely to me that time could change them for the worse.

But I do think VoidGear and others have a point about the value of showing us that development, so for more set-in-stone conclusions, I'll maintain my optimism that KH3 has an actual plan in place for this.

I think it would be naive to suggest that Sora and Kairi's relationship isn't meant to carry romantic overtones, which is why I'm a little surprised that people seem to feel that it isn't obvious enough. I think Nomura often couches the KH series-- especially since KH2-- in a kind of specific pop media language (the anime kind) where blushing, awkward teenage chasteness is code for amorous attraction: Sora's sporadic fantasies about Kairi seem to fall in line with that, anyway. I do recall mention that Sora would "mature" in various respects in KH3, and I could see his relationship with Kairi being used as shorthand for that.

I'm gonna hate it, though. The romantic element between these two characters is 100% predicated on a conditioned audience expectation of heterosexual attraction between the lead boy and girl: as a result it's lazy and undersold, and while it might have passed muster in 2002 our collective sort of consciousness surrounding media coding (especially of sexuality) has advanced over the past 15 years into a more expansive and critical dialogue. The view of Sora and Kairi as lovers is rooted in the kind of mentality that opens up all those other, even less viable "default" pairings (like Terra/Aqua) to de facto validation by reason of heteronormative patterning. Neither the series nor the characters actually benefit as a result: Sora and Kairi's connection, and the potential there is to really help us understand the both of them through it as individuals, is buried in another prepackaged archetype of easy-bake character development with all sorts of internally conflicting implications as to what other relationships in the series are or mean: i.e. can Sora and Riku have as strong of a bond as Sora and Kairi if their attraction to one another is just platonic? When Riku calls Sora his "light"-- the same as Kairi is Sora's "light"-- does that still function as an intentional parallel if it's to the exclusion of an equal depth of intimacy? It pushes this broad narrative mechanic on to us-- love, of the married-with-kids variety-- and then leaves us to tease apart what counts towards such a reading of two or more characters and what doesn't in a series which has been exceedingly lacking in candidness about that point up until now. So, yeah, super lazy and unearned.

ImVentus

Awards

I agree on this. Honestly I'd rather they focus on their friendship and loyalty for one another.

DarkosOverlord

Bronze Member
Awards
I'm gonna hate it, though. The romantic element between these two characters is 100% predicated on a conditioned audience expectation of heterosexual attraction between the lead boy and girl: as a result it's lazy and undersold, and while it might have passed muster in 2002 our collective sort of consciousness surrounding media coding (especially of sexuality) has advanced over the past 15 years into a more expansive and critical dialogue. The view of Sora and Kairi as lovers is rooted in the kind of mentality that opens up all those other, even less viable "default" pairings (like Terra/Aqua) to de facto validation by reason of heteronormative patterning. Neither the series nor the characters actually benefit as a result: Sora and Kairi's connection, and the potential there is to really help us understand the both of them through it as individuals, is buried in another prepackaged archetype of easy-bake character development with all sorts of internally conflicting implications as to what other relationships in the series are or mean: i.e. can Sora and Riku have as strong of a bond as Sora and Kairi if their attraction to one another is just platonic? When Riku calls Sora his "light"-- the same as Kairi is Sora's "light"-- does that still function as an intentional parallel if it's to the exclusion of an equal depth of intimacy? It pushes this broad narrative mechanic on to us-- love, of the married-with-kids variety-- and then leaves us to tease apart what counts towards such a reading of two or more characters and what doesn't in a series which has been exceedingly lacking in candidness about that point up until now. So, yeah, super lazy and unearned.

While I'm not the first fan of how Nomura (and the Japanese mindset in general) handles romance and don't have great expectations, I feel like already deciding it's going to be a stilted romance that hasn't progressed from 2002 and will be lazy and unearned it's jumping the gun a little. It's not like Nomura doesn't age or mature himself, just as our perceptions changed his might have too.
I could use this reasoning to already state Kairi is going to be worthless in KH III since she was in previous games because of the "damsel in distress" mentality and now my expectations of female characters is way higher et cetera.
It can happen, it's a possibility, but what's the point of me enjoying something if my outlook is "I'm going to hate this thing no matter what".
By all means though, you do you: as I said, defending a possible Sora-Kairi love story as a satisfying execution isn't something I'm confident doing.

I also confess the second part of your comment... kinda lost me. If I got that right, you're saying Sora and Kairi being an item would undermine both our understanding of them as individuals and other non-romantic relationships?
Well, for the first I think it depends on what one expects: I doubt we'll get a light novel insight on Sora and Kairi through an eventual relationship. But I don't think the fact that their relationship is built on an archetype (like the vast majority of fictional relationship) would "suffocate" their potential as characters. That all depends on the writer's ability if you ask me.

For the latter, I'm sure many members here (who are probably burning a voodoo doll resembling me for my earlier post about wanting a Sora and Kairi romance) can confirm Sora and Riku's bond is way better depicted and stronger than whatever Sora and Kairi had.
And I kinda agree, with the only difference that for me that bond is indeed a platonic one and is just deep friendship.

Sally-boiii

Awards
This is more or less my feeling. There are different methods used to develop characters which are pertinent to their respective roles: with the Organization members, I think Nomura has anchored our understanding of their transition over time from human to Nobody in story precedent and has confidence that the audience can fill in the gaps in their characterization using an intuitive reading of their circumstances. "There is darkness in every heart" is a constant refrain throughout the series, and given these characters' close proximity to an exemplary manipulator of that darkness, it doesn't seem surprising or unlikely to me that time could change them for the worse.

But I do think VoidGear and others have a point about the value of showing us that development, so for more set-in-stone conclusions, I'll maintain my optimism that KH3 has an actual plan in place for this.

I think it would be naive to suggest that Sora and Kairi's relationship isn't meant to carry romantic overtones, which is why I'm a little surprised that people seem to feel that it isn't obvious enough. I think Nomura often couches the KH series-- especially since KH2-- in a kind of specific pop media language (the anime kind) where blushing, awkward teenage chasteness is code for amorous attraction: Sora's sporadic fantasies about Kairi seem to fall in line with that, anyway. I do recall mention that Sora would "mature" in various respects in KH3, and I could see his relationship with Kairi being used as shorthand for that.

This entire paragraph heavily makes me think that it's just fanservice, assuming the relationship is developed in KH3. In which case don't let it bother you too much. This coming from a guy who actually, marginally on the SoKai side of the debate. Because it honestly wouldn't make much sense, to me at least, any other way.

Oracle Spockanort

written in the stars
Staff member
Awards
Website
twitter.com
I agree on this. Honestly I'd rather they focus on their friendship and loyalty for one another.

I think it would really help strengthen the believability of SoKai if there was something grounded in normal human interactions. Joking around, teasing, talking to each other rather than just kind of existing in a scene together.

While I'm not the first fan of how Nomura (and the Japanese mindset in general) handles romance and don't have great expectations, I feel like already deciding it's going to be a stilted romance that hasn't progressed from 2002 and will be lazy and unearned it's jumping the gun a little. It's not like Nomura doesn't age or mature himself, just as our perceptions changed his might have too.

But this is entirely prefaced on the fact that the series has actively put Kairi off to the side to focus on Sora’s bond with every other character but Kairi. KH3D could have been the perfect time to advance their relationship. If Kairi is Sora’s light, why did this not come up again when Sora was literally falling into darkness? The narrative knowingly ignored her in lieu of making Riku Sora’s sole guiding light while ignoring earlier established dynamics.

In Re:coded when Data Sora is going through Castle Oblivion, it would have been another perfect chance to reiterate that Kairi is one of Sora’s strongest bonds. Instead, we see Namine and Roxas as his guides (rightfully so, but that doesn’t mean that they couldn’t have written things so Kairi could be a focal point as well) and Kairi is only mentioned in reference to Riku and their “hurt”. Even before that point in the game, Kairi is more of a footnote of Data Sora’s journey despite her importance in KH1.

The cheap and unearned opinion of others isn’t coming from nowhere. It’s because there have been 4 full games that have released since KH2 and out of the two that featured Sora and could have helped move Sora and Kairi’s relationship forward even a little, neither of them even stop to try. The landscape of the series has grown so much since KH2 and so many characters and relationships have seen a lot of growth, but Sora and Kairi’s relationship remains just as we knew it in 2005/2006.

There is no way they can make many of us believe Sora and Kairi’s relationship without it feeling unearned because there is no way they can focus on developing them without taking away from something else in KH3. There has been too little focus on it. Their relationship would have to become a focal point to give it the development it needs, and there is too much going on in KH3 to do that.

Nomura has matured just as we have, but that doesn’t mean that maturity will be present in Sora and Kairi’s relationship.

I also confess the second part of your comment... kinda lost me. If I got that right, you're saying Sora and Kairi being an item would undermine both our understanding of them as individuals and other non-romantic relationships?
Well, for the first I think it depends on what one expects: I doubt we'll get a light novel insight on Sora and Kairi through an eventual relationship. But I don't think the fact that their relationship is built on an archetype (like the vast majority of fictional relationship) would "suffocate" their potential as characters. That all depends on the writer's ability if you ask me.

alexis.anagram is saying that if the games are telling us Sora and Kairi’s bond is the strongest bond between the two of them, but we see Sora’s bonds with other people come off as more deep and meaningful than what we’ve seen between Sora and Kairi, how are we meant to unpack any of these relationships with any level of accuracy?

If Kairi is Sora’s light but their development is minimal, and Sora is Riku’s light but they have a lot of development, how are we meant to define how Riku sees Sora?

If the amount of development of Sora and Kairi’s relationship is what we are meant to read as romantic, how do we define others with more development than the two of them? The threshold is low there, so doesn’t that mean somebody can interpret any of the many other friendships in these series with significantly more development as something more than platonic love? Wouldn’t this go even beyond romantic love, but something even greater?

We have to step back and unpack these relationships differently, of course. The only way we can interpret these relationships is through gender and societal coding on how these types of relationships are viewed (which is usually heteronormative), but as alexis.anagram said, society has advanced to a point where we are much more critical of these relationships now.

Just because Sora and Kairi is coded to be romantic doesn’t mean it’s earned it. It’s reliant on how characters in the same archetypes as Sora and Kairi should end up in the end. Sora is the hero and Kairi is the heroine. 9 times out of 10, these relationships turn out romantic because that is always how the hero and heroine end up in stories.

It just because that is always how it is doesn’t mean we should be expecting it and just want them to end up together. There should be cohesive, believable development between them.

The series can’t have Kairi as Sora’s light or Tifa as Cloud’s light, but then turn around and have Riku call Sora the same thing and have Riku serve that role for Sora without opening itself to a romantic interpretation or having the series completely redefine the term to let it be applied to any meaningful relationship.

For the latter, I'm sure many members here (who are probably burning a voodoo doll resembling me for my earlier post about wanting a Sora and Kairi romance) can confirm Sora and Riku's bond is way better depicted and stronger than whatever Sora and Kairi had.
And I kinda agree, with the only difference that for me that bond is indeed a platonic one and is just deep friendship.

And viewing Sora and Riku’s relationship as platonic is probably the accurate reading that was intended by Nomura (but who knows). For others who might not have the same world view as you, they will see Sora and Riku’s relationship and interpret it as romantic or familial or something else entirely.

It’s one of those things that will never stop being debated on since it all depends on how people see relationships…

This entire paragraph heavily makes me think that it's just fanservice, assuming the relationship is developed in KH3. In which case don't let it bother you too much. This coming from a guy who actually, marginally on the SoKai side of the debate. Because it honestly wouldn't make much sense, to me at least, any other way.

The main problem is that we know they could have and still could take the time to develop Sora and Kairi as friends (and in Kairi’s situation, as a character in general) before diving into their romantic relationship again so it can be earned and not feel like a rushed and weak aspect of the story.

Last edited:

gosoxtim

Silver Member
Awards
sora and riku freidnship is brothery freindship while kairi devopment in kh3 will help her grow into her freindship with sora with kh3

DarkosOverlord

Bronze Member
Awards
But this is entirely prefaced on the fact that the series has actively put Kairi off to the side to focus on Sora’s bond with every other character but Kairi. KH3D could have been the perfect time to advance their relationship. If Kairi is Sora’s light, why did this not come up again when Sora was literally falling into darkness? The narrative knowingly ignored her in lieu of making Riku Sora’s sole guiding light while ignoring earlier established dynamics.

In Re:coded when Data Sora is going through Castle Oblivion, it would have been another perfect chance to reiterate that Kairi is one of Sora’s strongest bonds. Instead, we see Namine and Roxas as his guides (rightfully so, but that doesn’t mean that they couldn’t have written things so Kairi could be a focal point as well) and Kairi is only mentioned in reference to Riku and their “hurt”. Even before that point in the game, Kairi is more of a footnote of Data Sora’s journey despite her importance in KH1.

The cheap and unearned opinion of others isn’t coming from nowhere. It’s because there have been 4 full games that have released once KH2 and out of the two that featured Sora and could have helped move Sora and Kairi’s relationship forward even a little, neither of them even stop to try. The landscape of the series has grown so much since KH2 and so many characters and relationships have seen a lot of growth, but Sora and Kairi’s relationship remains just as we knew it in 2005/2006.

And this is the previous games' fault, and I have no shortage of criticism about them and how they handled things.
But since I don't believe in sins of the father I find that using previous mistakes to call out on a story that has still to come out as something that WILL be forced and bad is uncalled for.
How DDD dropped the ball can raise concerns, sure, concerns that I share; but KH III it's its own thing.

There is no way they can make many of us believe Sora and Kairi’s relationship without it feeling unearned because there is no way they can focus on developing them without taking away from something else in KH3. There has been too little focus on it. Their relationship would have to become a focal point to give it the development it needs, and there is too much going on in KH3 to do that.

I disagree: I've seen other media recover from worse situations.
I may think it's unlikely, but I don't think there is just no way.

This might not be the exact same scenario, but Star Wars VIII, as polarizing as a movie it was, was a good example: the fact that the franchise spent SEVEN movies singing praise of the Jedi and how the Skywalkers were the only thing that mattered didn't stop VIII for being very different and spreading a complete opposite message.
Regardless of if you loved it or hated it, it's undeniable VIII was different and had very little setup to be, considering where VII left it.

I wouldn't even say Sora and Kairi have nothing to feel their relationship earned: the first chapter was enough to convince me, and reading through the lines CoM was a great love letter to the couple, in the ending especially.
I'm not going to pretend we didn't have TWELVE years of Kairi being nothing and that it isn't a huge problem, but I also remember when (for me at least) her and Sora had a nice thing going...

*darko you're doing a decent job explaining yourself, don't throw it all away by being cheesy please*

...forgotten, but not lost.

*goddammit*

We have to step back and unpack these relationships differently, of course. The only way we can interpret these relationships is through gender and societal coding on how these types of relationships are viewed (which is usually heteronormative), but as alexis.anagram said, society has advanced to a point where we are much more critical of these relationships now.

I agree, it's actually something that worries me.
I have a personal fear that for many different reasons (perceiving many old romantic tales as sexist, the overly saturated industry of anime and the likes chugging out cliched and bland love stories, Internet redefining and confusing relationships between people) we developed a defense mechanism against some of these thematics that sometimes might get out of control, prompting us to reject even the entire concept of love at times, like it's something unnecessary or that cheapens the entire thing.

Sometimes it's true, sometimes it might be people's contrarianism in play.

Just because Sora and Kairi is coded to be romantic doesn’t mean it’s earned it. It’s reliant on how characters in the same archetypes as Sora and Kairi should end up in the end. Sora is the hero and Kairi is the heroine. 9 times out of 10, these relationships turn out romantic because that is always how the hero and heroine end up in stories.

It just because that is always how it is doesn’t mean we should be expecting it and just want them to end up together. There should be cohesive, believable development between them.

And for me they have it. Or rather, for me a romantic story at this point wouldn't be just mashing my Barbie doll with my Ken doll, but the coronation of what I've always felt was the inevitable conclusion.
Just to be clear, I don't put them together because hero and heroine: I like what they already have, or had.

I'm perfectly aware the only response at this point is "well, that's just your opinion then" and I agree, it really is just that.
I respect others not feeling it, or believing it's unrealizable in KH III without it being forced or bad. I just have hope.

The series can’t have Kairi as Sora’s light or Tifa as Cloud’s light, but then turn around and have Riku call Sora the same thing and have Riku serve that roll for Sora without opening itself to a romantic interpretation or having the series completely redefine the term to let it be applied to any meaningful relationship.

I'm literally discovering just now that some uses/sees "this person is this other person's light" as a romantic element, which I never did.
By all means, obviously I know that it's probably supposed to be romantic when Saix says that about Kairi and Sora, but they also use that metaphor in many other situations, such as Aqua and Mickey needing to be Ventus' lights to bring him back home and similar instances.
Maybe this is why it never confused me when Riku says that about Sora: of course he's his light, after all that transpired.

This is not a critique of who sees this metaphor as romantic or thinks it confuses how relationships work, however. I can see that. I sometimes hate how KH speaks in circles.

And viewing Sora and Riku’s relationship as platonic is probably the accurate reading that was intended by Nomura (but who knows). For others who might not have the same world view as you, they will see Sora and Riku’s relationship and interpret it as romantic or familial or something else entirely.

It’s one of those things that will never stop being debated on since it all depends on how people see relationships…

Yeah, it's the whole gist of it, as I've said before: this whole debacle is really up to one's interpretation.
And this is what makes it interesting, for me: sometimes what's good about art is each one's interpretation rather than the creator's.

gosoxtim

Silver Member
Awards
honesty though if you i read a good relationship go read the percy jackson series because the author rick riodan wrote annabeth in the book is how kairi should be and the percy and annabeth relationship doesn't begin to develop until like the fourth and fifth books

VoidGear.

red gay
Awards
I think it would be naive to suggest that Sora and Kairi's relationship isn't meant to carry romantic overtones, which is why I'm a little surprised that people seem to feel that it isn't obvious enough.

More than not seeing it, I think people simply don't want to acknowledge it as realistic. Of course I can throw in scenes of them dancing in Sora's mind, or him thinking of Kairi when Will and Elizabeth reunite, but the fact that it feels so forced makes it hard to feel for their relationship.

Agreed on the whole paragraph, but these three points especially. I can only question time after time - would people imagine Sora and Riku to be platonic if either were a girl? It's just this concept that media repeatedly throws at us. Main guy and main gal = couple. Two main guys = either rivals or best friends for life (or both). It doesn't really matter how much it delivers or doesn't deliver, it's just what's expected to happen, and makes it so cheap and easy to just have a hetero-couple to fill some sort of quota, without actually developing those characters and their relationship.

That being said, I'm still hopeful that KH will continue focusing on friendship, as even more than the "romantic" SoKai snippets the series threw out so far, it mostly seemed to be about the bond of the three of them together, even if executed...rather poorly so far.

UltimaXOmega

-Rinoa and Noctis
-Auron's return
-Shibuya
-Change characters during important fights(Aqua VS Terra, Ventus VS Vanitas)

DarkosOverlord

Bronze Member
Awards
I think this parenthesis is pretty much done and each has said what needed (at least for me), and unsurprisingly it all comes down to personal preferences and different responses to what the franchise did good or poorly.

I just hope no one felt miffed about the whole thing or my responses. Discussing couples and love is always difficult with people who have different views, it's where emotions are the most invested and at times it's hard to keep it cool or accepting rejection. There is a reason why I often avoid talking about this stuff.

Elysium

Be Wiser Than the Serpent
Awards
Even if they force SoKai into the end of the saga, I'm just going to censor it in my head, just like every other property/franchise that depicts an emotional, complex relationship between two guys and then hooks both up to an available female character they have no chemistry with just cuz. Classic queerbaiting.

As far as Sora blushing when a misc FF or Disney character flirts with him, that isn't a big deal at all.

honesty though if you i read a good relationship go read the percy jackson series because the author rick riodan wrote annabeth in the book is how kairi should be and the percy and annabeth relationship doesn't begin to develop until like the fourth and fifth books

Except that would require making Kairi an entirely different character. Annabeth is an awesome character even outside the relationship. Kairi is... Kairi.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back