• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

Anime/Manga ► Evangelion - Anno apologizes about 3.0 + 1.0, 3.0 burned him out

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Awards
So out of curiosity, how similar/different is the Evangelion manga compared to the anime (count EoE as the anime's ending).
The manga is about 80% the same. Some scenes are a little different, and some are taken out entirely. One of the biggest changes is that Kawrou is introduced earlier, and his personality and iterations with Shinji are different. I'd still say it's worth a read if you like the franchise.

Rydgea

keeps leaving X-mas decor up year-round.
Awards
Website
backloggery.com
Re: Evangelion - 2/2/2016 - 3.33: You Can (Not) Redo how long it took for this film to come out

So out of curiosity, how similar/different is the Evangelion manga compared to the anime (count EoE as the anime's ending).

There's enough of a difference for you to experience both without feeling like either's a straight re-hash. Though I'm assuming you've watch the anime and not read the manga and not the other way around.

In my opinion, I prefer the manga storytelling, though I'm pitting neither in competition with one another. There just happen to be several specific points in the story that I can think of off the top of my head that resonate with me more in the book. Perhaps I was surprised by Yoshiyuki Sadamato's writing as well as his gorgeous art.

An Apology To Evangelion Fans From Hideaki Anno

I know Anno started the Rebuild series as a way to overcome his past, but I feel like it was inevitable that he'd fall back into that depressive state that NGE put him in before. I can understand why 3.0 + 1.0 is taking so long, now, but jeez Anno why'd you do it to yourself? :c

No wonder 3.33 is the way it is.

If he had adhered to the original timeline, the man might be dead.

Four movies back to back, delving into the same world he had been emotionally drained by no doubt has an impact on ones creativity, drive, and ultimately quality of the end result.

Take all the time you need, Anno. My nerd heart can wait~

Taochan

Administrator
Staff member
Awards
Poor Anno. If he says he needs a break then I definitely believe he needs one.

Rydgea

Awards
Website
backloggery.com
So, okay, maaaybe as a coping mechanism I'm trying out one of the official spinoffs. My local comic shop had the omnibus of Campus Apocalypse. So, we'll see how this goes. At the very most I'm just expecting harmless entertainment.

They also had some others, but I hadn't realized some of them exceeded the length of the original story, so I picked a short one instead.

Anyone read this or reading one of the others?

Oracle Spockanort

written in the stars
Staff member
Awards
Website
twitter.com
I personally really liked Campus Apocalypse. Good art, solid story, and Kaworu actually sticks around for the whole series.

The Detective one is supposed to be interesting in a funny way.

Edit: haha got the detective art mixed up with another one. It's got shojo manga-esque art.

Max

"There's always money in the banana stand."
Staff member
Awards
I read a little bit of one of the spin offs back in the day, but I really don't remember much about it. I do remember liking the first chapter and thinking about reading more of it someday though, but I never have haha.

Rydgea

Awards
Website
backloggery.com
I personally really liked Campus Apocalypse. Good art, solid story, and Kaworu actually sticks around for the whole series.

I'm glad I snatched this one then!

@Max > I think the reason I held off is because I understood the concept of these universes by merely watching the original anime that I didn't need to invest in an 'Angelic Days' day-in-the-life / love story. But the itch just kindof hit me, so I was poking around for more info. :]

Max

Staff member
Awards
I'm glad I snatched this one then!

@Max > I think the reason I held off is because I understood the concept of these universes by merely watching the original anime that I didn't need to invest in an 'Angelic Days' day-in-the-life / love story. But the itch just kindof hit me, so I was poking around for more info. :]

Let me know how you like it, if Spock liked it and you end up liking it too I might just have to give it a shot.

hemmoheikkinen

Dear Kafka
Awards
Uh, so I watched the End of Evangelion movie a while back, and now have seen some images of Asuka wearing an eyepatch over the damaged eye. So uhh... that means there is more of this awesome stuff? What should I watch or read next?

Sephiroth0812

Guardian of Light
Awards
Uh, so I watched the End of Evangelion movie a while back, and now have seen some images of Asuka wearing an eyepatch over the damaged eye. So uhh... that means there is more of this awesome stuff? What should I watch or read next?

"Eyepatch"-Asuka is from the Rebuild-movies as far as I can tell.

The "Rebuild of Evangelion"-movie Tetralogy is on one hand a sort of "retelling" of the original anime with more modern elements, but after the first movie it diverges into something entirely else/new and why and how exactly that is the case is yet again the subject of countless theories among the EVA-fandom.
Note though that the fourth and final movie which is supposed to lead to a totally different ending compared to the TV Series/End of Evangelion isn't yet out and considering Anno's emotional state tied to it we'll have to wait quite a bit more for it.

Then there's also Sadamoto's manga version of NGE which is (largely) the same in broad strokes but also has some significant differences to the TV series (mainly in the department of Gendo Ikari's true colors and Kaworu's personality which also results in a totally different dynamic between him and Shinji) and also a different Final Ending.

Max

Staff member
Awards
Man, I've still only seen the first rebuild movie. After that I told myself I had to wait for it to be finished before I could watch the rest. It's been a hell of wait, I think I was in high school when I saw the first one maybe?

Anyway I get that Anno needs a break and I respect that, but it still sucks not having a proper release in mind.

hemmoheikkinen

Dear Kafka
Awards
"Eyepatch"-Asuka is from the Rebuild-movies as far as I can tell.

The "Rebuild of Evangelion"-movie Tetralogy is on one hand a sort of "retelling" of the original anime with more modern elements, but after the first movie it diverges into something entirely else/new and why and how exactly that is the case is yet again the subject of countless theories among the EVA-fandom.
Note though that the fourth and final movie which is supposed to lead to a totally different ending compared to the TV Series/End of Evangelion isn't yet out and considering Anno's emotional state tied to it we'll have to wait quite a bit more for it.

Then there's also Sadamoto's manga version of NGE which is (largely) the same in broad strokes but also has some significant differences to the TV series (mainly in the department of Gendo Ikari's true colors and Kaworu's personality which also results in a totally different dynamic between him and Shinji) and also a different Final Ending.

Aah so that is how it is, thanks man. I am curious to see where it will go after it diverges from the original plot. The manga also sounds interesting.

hemmoheikkinen

Dear Kafka
Awards
Watched the movies pretty much in a row a while ago. There were moments that I liked, but I think my thoughts are pretty similar to Nyangoro`s comment when it comes to the third movie. A lot of things could have been avoided by simply telling Shinji what is going on, everybody were a bit too mean towards him, and what the heck is Mari doing there? To jiggle her boobs in a few scenes?

There were a lot of "holy heck that`s cool" moments in the third film thou, like Asuka`s Eva`s gun arm, and that Rei`s Eva wielded a freaking scythe!

Despite these negative things I am looking forward to the fourth film. Rei (or what ever version that is...) seems to have changed a little bit towards the end of the movie, so I am looking forward to how that is going to proceed. By the way, the books that Shinji offered to Rei, has there been done any sort of analysis if they have some deeper meaning?

End of Evangelion probably has one my favorite moments of all time when it comes anime. It`s near the end when Asuka`s head is pierced by a spear of Longinus. She holds her injured eye and reaches her hand to the sky towards the enemies, chanting: "I am going to kill you I am going to kill you..." But all of that comes to end as barrage of more spears rain down, crushing her.

catcake

eien no chikai
Awards
The most popular theory, I belive, is that the manga, original anime and movies are all different time loops/realities and connected to each other. There's pretty good evidence to support this, the strongest I feel is Kaworu and what he says in the movies. Especially the "this time" thing, which doesn't make any sense unless there's some sort of time loop.
Spoiler Spoiler Show

Max

Staff member
Awards
The most popular theory, I belive, is that the manga, original anime and movies are all different time loops/realities and connected to each other. There's pretty good evidence to support this, the strongest I feel is Kaworu and what he says in the movies. Especially the "this time" thing, which doesn't make any sense unless there's some sort of time loop.
Spoiler Spoiler Show

That's really interesting, I'd actually never considered any of that.

hemmoheikkinen

Dear Kafka
Awards
Spoiler Spoiler Show

Dam that is freaking cool. There are a ton of hints. o_O

hemmoheikkinen

Dear Kafka
Awards
I read manga version of the ending and I have to say that I liked it a lot. I enjoy End of Evangelion`s more abstract, open to theory crafting/interpretation ending too, but I think I like a bit more of what the manga did.

Taochan

Administrator
Staff member
Awards
I read manga version of the ending and I have to say that I liked it a lot. I enjoy End of Evangelion`s more abstract, open to theory crafting/interpretation ending too, but I think I like a bit more of what the manga did.
Sadamoto had the benefit of not being as emotionally attached as Anno was to NGE and was able to streamline some of his ideas.

I also enjoyed his interpretation of the End of Eva.

hemmoheikkinen

Dear Kafka
Awards
^ One thing I was a bit sad that was not integrated from the original EoE to the manga is Asuka´s hand reach and eye stabbing scene. How the enemy Eva units circled above her and when the barrage of lances come down to crumple all possible hope, those were some very powerful scenes.

Since I only read the ending I am curious, are any other differences in the manga when compared to the anime version? I like the art style a lot so I might check it out because of that alone.

Man, it`s odd since I remember seeing commercials about the Finnish version of the manga, and always wondered what it was about. Now years later I am reading the thing.

Rydgea

Awards
Website
backloggery.com
I personally cannot stress this enough. Please. Read. The. Manga. If nothing else, your eyes will be awash with some great art.

Like Taochan previously mentioned, there might have been an advantage to Yoshiyuki Sadamato's healthier distance from the subject material.

Back