• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

News ► Big Hero 6 confirmed for Kingdom Hearts 3!

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.

Nazo

Hope Remains
Awards
Oh God. It`s the gypsy hideout from City of Bells all over again.

Never have I been more disappointed in a world than I was with La Cite de Cloches in DDD. So empty and so watered down. It just didn't feel like the film at all. Toning down the plot was one thing, cause there's some pretty mature themes in Hunchback. But the lack of NPCs was just aghhhhh. It felt like a giant ghost town. A ghost city, rather.

Face My Fears

She's not an "it"!
Awards
Never have I been more disappointed in a world than I was with La Cite de Cloches in DDD. So empty and so watered down. It just didn't feel like the film at all. Toning down the plot was one thing, cause there's some pretty mature themes in Hunchback. But the lack of NPCs was just aghhhhh. It felt like a giant ghost town. A ghost city, rather.

I didn't really mind the absence of everybody because when we first visited La Cite de Cloches, I was under the impression that the world was sleeping and therefore only "relevant" people were active. I know it's a dumb thought, but that's what I thought first going into KH3D.

Now, however, when I play over the main console games I do feel the emptiness of the worlds. I just think that for KH it's hard to have NPCs around when most areas are for fighting. I am very interested to see how they overcome that issue for KH3, especially with worlds like Big HERO 6 that look like they should be really populated.

Chuman

Dad of Boy
Awards
I am very interested to see how they overcome that issue for KH3, especially with worlds like Big HERO 6 that look like they should be really populated.

#hundreds of npcs
#sdg are amazed
#nanobots/darkness overtake civilians
#sora: i can't fight these people!
#hiro flys in with weapon that destroys nanobots
#sora purifies darkness
#team-up time

ShardofTruth

Unchained
Awards
Lol. But honestly, I think with modern tech I don't think barren worlds will/should be a problem.
It is still a huge problem if you think about it:
1. Sora's and the abilities of his friends cause havoc around them, what happens if you use the Keyblade at a crowded cross-section?
2. How should these people behave if Sora is being an asshole?
3. What happens if Heartless attack, do the citizens flee, do they get consumed, should Sora be able to save them?

Face it, Kingdom Hearts is not going to be a GTA game, so as before there will be safe zones that are (more or less) populated by NPCs and fighting zones where you won't see another soul. Creating convincing NPCs costs time and money, remember the re-textured people of Traverse Town and Agrabah in KH, so I'm pretty sure not every world will have them, probably just the hub world(s) like in former games.
I still shudder if I think about how Disney Infinity solved these problems.

ShardofTruth

Unchained
Awards
If Assassins Creed Unity can supposedly host 10,000 NPC's at one time then I have faith in Square Enix / Disney to provide a few or more NPC's per world.
I also have faith that not every world will be as deserted as in BBS or DDD but I don't think the team (that is much, much smaller than what Ubisoft can bring to the table) will make San Fransokyo a believable city.

Bobjam

Awards
1. Sora's and the abilities of his friends cause havoc around them, what happens if you use the Keyblade at a crowded cross-section?
3. What happens if Heartless attack, do the citizens flee, do they get consumed, should Sora be able to save them?

Face it, Kingdom Hearts is not going to be a GTA game, so as before there will be safe zones that are (more or less) populated by NPCs and fighting zones where you won't see another soul. Creating convincing NPCs costs time and money, remember the re-textured people of Traverse Town and Agrabah in KH, so I'm pretty sure not every world will have them, probably just the hub world(s) like in former games.

To be fair, if there are going to be heartless popping up everywhere around the city then I'm sure no one would want to be around for that anyway! Not excusing the no NPC problem of course but I'll never forget the first time we see someone in KH in traverse town getting attacked by a heartless and their heart lost. Don't think anyone wants to be outside near that!

BluePikmin11

Awards
The cars shown in the concept art kinda hints at the inclusion of more NPCs in the worlds they add.

rac7d

The prince of Tides
Awards

In Fable if you start a battle int he town normal people will run and flee that all that needs to happen.
But I would like to feel like I am protecting someone, if no one is on the planet what the hell Am I fighting for

Sdog

Awards

The issue of which I was addressing isn't as much a creative one but a technical one. In KH1/2, Olympus Colosseum, there are times when a crowd was meant to be present during a match. Whenever chaos would ensue you'd hear screaming and panic but no people. This came from technical limitations at the time (as far as we know). Though now it should strictly fall to scenario.

Plus the actions and abilities of SDG are usually (not always) within reason of the world they are in at the time. Especially now that the worlds plots are being written in terms with the game's story. A lot can be retconned and added to work in the most hectic of settings.

XionRoxasSora

I honestly thought Frozen and a trailer for KH3 were going to be shown at D23. Yet I am very pleased that Big Hero 6 was announced instead of Frozen. Just thinking about what Sora can explore in San Fransokyo gives me giggles:biggrin::redface:!!! CAN'T WAIT FOR KINGDOM HEARTS 3!!!!!
url.jpg
:wink::wink::wink::wink::wink::wink::wink:

Xblade13

The Cleric of Flamesgrace
Awards
Sweet! I was seriously hoping that this movie would make a spot in KH3! Having it be a post-movie story only makes it even better in my opinion!

Face My Fears

She's not an "it"!
Awards
The issue of which I was addressing isn't as much a creative one but a technical one. In KH1/2, Olympus Colosseum, there are times when a crowd was meant to be present during a match. Whenever chaos would ensue you'd hear screaming and panic but no people. This came from technical limitations at the time (as far as we know). Though now it should strictly fall to scenario.

Plus the actions and abilities of SDG are usually (not always) within reason of the world they are in at the time. Especially now that the worlds plots are being written in terms with the game's story. A lot can be retconned and added to work in the most hectic of settings.

The bolded annoyed me to no end. I remember they even gave shots of the coliseum's stands while the screaming was happening.. a close up of empty stands that were screaming. When I was younger I thought it was a glitch in my game, but now I realized that the worlds were just empty.

To be honest, if there were areas that had NPCs and other areas that had no one but heartless, I'd be OK with that.

FudgemintGuardian

Moist with roistering
Awards
The bolded annoyed me to no end. I remember they even gave shots of the coliseum's stands while the screaming was happening.. a close up of empty stands that were screaming. When I was younger I thought it was a glitch in my game, but now I realized that the worlds were just empty.
Clearly this means the screaming was coming from the stands themselves. Anything, even inanimate objects, can grow a heart, after all (and apparently have kids, too since Sora's dad is a boat~)

BlackOsprey

Hell yeah
Awards
Clearly this means the screaming was coming from the stands themselves. Anything, even inanimate objects, can grow a heart, after all (and apparently have kids, too since Sora's dad is a boat~)

Uhh... I know you're kidding here, but even when inanimate objects grow hearts, they need to look alive and not just like some ordinary benches. This is Disney, so that sort of thing is completely inexcusable.

I'm thinking this whole NPC problem can be solved by doing what Traverse Town did: make some areas with NPC's and no fights, and keep the areas with Heartless empty. Either that, or clear out the area in a cutscene. People are ambling about, Heartless pop up, people flee, SDG draw their weapons, end scene.

Kaijuguy19

From what I've heard the reason why there were no NPC in the past games well the earlier ones was because at the time the tech wasn't strong enough to support making that many NPC but maybe since KH3 is going to be on a more advanced tech perhaps that'll change?

ShardofTruth

Unchained
Awards
I disagree, the lack of NPCs wasn't only a technical hurdle, because there are PS2 (and PSOne) games that featured crowds and more NPCs, think of racing games, think of sport games, think of Final Fantasy.

Of course newer systems can handle more NPCs (and larger areas) but at the same time the demands are rising. You need models that are detailed and don't look the same at first glance, you need animations, you need AI programming, you need voice recording and now fill a whole city with them. That's a task that shouldn't be taken lightly, Ubisoft has a whole studio that deals with this stuff and even AAA games like Dragon Age Inquisition fall horrible flat in this department.

Again, I'm not saying Kingdom Hearts III will be only half-assed or really just KH II.5 but before I don't see a video of a crowded Baymax or another Disney world, I don't believe that's the focus of the KHIII team right now, nor do I think it should be. You can create atmosphere in many different ways and at the end of the day Kingdom Hearts III will be successful in this department.

FudgemintGuardian

Moist with roistering
Awards
Uhh... I know you're kidding here, but even when inanimate objects grow hearts, they need to look alive and not just like some ordinary benches. This is Disney, so that sort of thing is completely inexcusable.
tumblr_m3ji7lULUC1qcafxh.gif

Why you go and ruin my joke with fact? D:

I'm thinking this whole NPC problem can be solved by doing what Traverse Town did: make some areas with NPC's and no fights, and keep the areas with Heartless empty. Either that,or clear out the area in a cutscene. People are ambling about, Heartless pop up, people flee, SDG draw their weapons, end scene.
*suddenly reminded of all the scenes where they could have done this*
But yeah, I wouldn't mind if they did something like that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back