• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

News ► Seth Kearsley says he's "Pitching a Do-Over" on Kingdom Hearts TV Show

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.

Chaser

Not KHI Site Staff
Staff member
Awards

Support for the Kingdom Hearts television series has gained momentum since Seth Kearsley leaked scripts and colour boards for the series (The Jungle Book would have been an official world in the series), which had a pilot made for Disney in the early 2000's. Thanks to this support, Seth has started a dialogue with workers at Disney about the series.

Seth tweeted on February 15th 2017 "Emails have been exchanged. Dialog has at least been started. Pitching a do-over with the current skill set." This is a follow up to a tweet on February 4th 2017 where he revealed he talked to his former boss about the series, which reached all the way back to Disney.

Seth was recently interviewd by Mike Mixtape about the issues with releasing the old Kingdom Hearts television pilot, and revealed why the series never went to air.

Would you watch a Kingdom Hearts television series if a do-over is announced?

Follow Kingdom Hearts Insider on FacebookTwitter, and Tumblr for the latest updates on Kingdom Hearts Unchained X, Kingdom Hearts 3, Kingdom Hearts HD 2.8 Final Chapter Prologue and all things Kingdom Hearts

Chaser

Not KHI Site Staff
Staff member
Awards
Re: Seth Kearsley says he's "Pitching a Do-Over" on Kingdom Hearts TV Show

Honestly, with the issue before being Nomura not liking the script and developing Kingdom Hearts II at that time (which would have made creative liberties hard to allow), I think a Kingdom Hearts series could be a good thing in this day and age. They have a story set out for them that they can now properly follow.

blank points

Awards

Huh. To be honest, I don't know quite how I feel about this. On the one hand, it would be really interesting to see an animated series, if only just to get a different take on the series. Plus, now with the series expanded as much as it has since 2002, they would have a lot to work with to translate the story into a tv show. However, with the bulk of the story being told through the games all these years, I can't help but feel that if it's not broke, don't fix it.

But either way, would definitely check it out if they were successful in greenlighting it.

Last edited:

Audo

press △ to sora
Awards
Website
avale-reves.tumblr.com

*yells through cupped hands* get the gravity falls people to collaborate on this.

seriously though, who knows if anything will come of it, but it would be neat. i wonder if they would just treat it as its own thing, try to make it faithful adaption of the first game, or given it a new canon story

gosoxtim

Silver Member
Awards

i would love to see it could they put the series on disey or kingdom hearts youtbe channel just in case he cant get a disney slot on tv

Beamer

Awards

I think I'm cautiously interested. Back when the series was first pitched, the series was far from solidified in it's atmosphere and Disney just didn't seem to get it as well as they (apparently) do now. If you look back at the early marketing for the game and Kingdom Hearts V-Cast (which I believe was created by Disney and had little input from Nomura) they were putting too much focus on it being a romp through their various movies and less on the original plot. I'm not saying it's not understandable (they did have to appeal to their fanbase after all), but with that kind of atmosphere from within Disney, the series would've focused too much on Disney worlds and less on the original plot of the games that Nomura created. Not to mention that video game adaptions at the time were kinda hokey.

All of that said, I'll echo what a lot of people here have said and say that Disney seems to have gotten a better idea of what this series is about over the years, the atmosphere and creative style of the franchise has solidified, and video game adaptions are being a bit more faithful to the original content. Actually, with KH3 coming out, this series might be a good way to help newcomers and those who stubbornly refuse to buy the remixes (and complain about the story...) learn the plot of the series in a way the games might not be able to do for them.

Chuman

Dad of Boy
Awards

Alex hirsch should head this. That is all.

Chaser

Not KHI Site Staff
Staff member
Awards

Alex hirsch should head this. That is all.
He's busy working on his new project for Fox and the live action Pokemon movie. That is all.

LightUpTheSky452

Haddyn Slayer
Awards
Website
oveliagirlhaditright.tumblr.com

-crosses fingers-

I really hope this becomes a thing. I want some sort of KH show in my life; and I feel like if it doesn't happen now, then it never will.

And now would be such a great time for it, too, with I.5 & II.5 coming out for PS4 and KHIII being a huge deal/hype worthy (and Disney being more on board with KH than they ever have been before).

Now just follow the manga, and everything will be aces.

@Audo The main guy behind Gravity Falls wouldn't touch KH. He's... not exactly a fan of it, and that's putting it mildly:/

Grono

KH ☼ D&D ☼ Music ☼ Wack.
Awards

-crosses fingers-

I really hope this becomes a thing. I want some sort of KH show in my life; and I feel like if it doesn't happen now, then it never will.

And now would be such a great time for it, too, with I.5 & II.5 coming out for PS4 and KHIII being a huge deal/hype worthy (and Disney being more on board with KH than they ever have been before).

Now just follow the manga, and everything will be aces.

@Audo The main guy behind Gravity Falls wouldn't touch KH. He's... not exactly a fan of it, and that's putting it mildly:/

Does he have a statement about it?

LightUpTheSky452

Haddyn Slayer
Awards
Website
oveliagirlhaditright.tumblr.com

Does he have a statement about it?

He said this about it... "Kingdom Hearts is an abomination under the sun, I think it's Space-Jam level cynical to cram anime characters and Disney characters together. I think Mickey Moused dressed in a little goth hood made of zippers is the worst thing I've ever seen, and proves that God doesn't exist."

:(

I mean, I don't want to throw him under the bus. I don't think he's even touched any of the games, and I can understand why he might feel this way from the outside looking in. But still.

Audo

press △ to sora
Awards
Website
avale-reves.tumblr.com

He said this about it... "Kingdom Hearts is an abomination under the sun, I think it's Space-Jam level cynical to cram anime characters and Disney characters together. I think Mickey Moused dressed in a little goth hood made of zippers is the worst thing I've ever seen, and proves that God doesn't exist."

I mean, I don't want to throw him under the bus. I don't think he's even touched any of the games, and I can understand why he might feel this way from the outside looking in. But still.
that's hilarious

Grono

KH ☼ D&D ☼ Music ☼ Wack.
Awards

Damn, the space jam comparison was kind of accurate though xD ah well, apparently JonTron really doesn't like the series either. That's a little more than he's not a fan of it though xD

Pacrolash

Idk it's kinda 50/50

If they gonna just adapt game plot into series like they did with manga - damn that will be great. That may be even better if they could use novellas plot to bring some light to overlooked events like Vanitas' past.
And it would be really good to bring some fresh blood to fandom with new fans.

On the other hand - it's too late. Yes, there is 1.5+2.5 coming, 2.8 just came out and we eagerly wait for 3 but even short lenght cartoon needs some time to be producted so we may see some short pilot on the fall if we're lucky.

Also I would personally prefer that they wont use any style deformations. I'd like to see KH in classic Disney style, like Bambi, Little Mermaid, Beauty and the Beast etc. I'd be really disappointed if they gonna use chibi/deformed style like GF, SU or something. I like those cartoons, they are not bad, but I'd like to see characters as close to original as possible.

Oracle Spockanort

written in the stars
Staff member
Awards
Website
twitter.com

Well, finding out Alex Hirsch hates Kingdom Hearts with such an extreme level of viciousness depresses me. Gravity Falls is really diddlying zany as shit and is all up its own butt with lore.

Thank god I don't admire Alex Hirsch that much. But damn...I wanted to see Gravity Falls in KH because it'd be so awesome to see Bill Cipher as a boss. Alex voices like half the main cast so imagine how uninterested he'd be to voice them or see somebody else touch his story. God damn.

Idk it's kinda 50/50

If they gonna just adapt game plot into series like they did with manga - damn that will be great. That may be even better if they could use novellas plot to bring some light to overlooked events like Vanitas' past.
And it would be really good to bring some fresh blood to fandom with new fans.

On the other hand - it's too late. Yes, there is 1.5+2.5 coming, 2.8 just came out and we eagerly wait for 3 but even short lenght cartoon needs some time to be producted so we may see some short pilot on the fall if we're lucky.

Also I would personally prefer that they wont use any style deformations. I'd like to see KH in classic Disney style, like Bambi, Little Mermaid, Beauty and the Beast etc. I'd be really disappointed if they gonna use chibi/deformed style like GF, SU or something. I like those cartoons, they are not bad, but I'd like to see characters as close to original as possible.

It really isn't too late at all. Kingdom Hearts is going to continue after KH3, so this is the perfect time to start grabbing a wider audience. The show would need to be REALLY good, though.

I think Kingdom Hearts fans need to learn how to let go of the series as we know it. We are not the future of the series as sad as it is to say.

Zettaflare

Shibuya
Awards

If a TV show did get approved I wonder how much of the series' darker content would have to be cut?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back