• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

News ► Yoichi Wada CEO of Square Enix resigns

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.

Gexus

KHI Site Staff
Staff member
Awards

Yoichi Wada, originally Executive Director and CFO of Squaresoft, later President and Representative Director of Square Enix, is reportedly leaving his post as announced by Square Enix this morning. This is a "change subject to resolution" by the general meeting of shareholders to be held in late June this year, followed by a resolution by its board of directors meeting.

Wada stepping down coincides with Square Enix's latest quarterly report, showing dramatic revisions to its forecast in sales for console titles. Apparently "sluggish" sales in Western territories are to blame, which is strange considering the fact that said games (SLEEPING DOGS, HITMAN: ABSOLUTION & TOMB RAIDER) sold between 1.75 million - 3.4 million units.

Taking over Wada's position is current representative director Yosuke Matsuda. These news may be particularly interesting for fans of KINGDOM HEARTS, since a new company direction may affect the series in various ways. Currently western fans await the release of KINGDOM HEARTS HD 1.5 ReMIX for the PS3 this fall, with a second HD collection expected to be announced soon, along with the heavily anticipated KINGDOM HEARTS III.

What do you guys think? Do you believe this was the right decision on behalf of Square Enix? How do you think this may affect our beloved KINGDOM HEARTS series?

SourceSQUAREENIXHOLDINGSCO.,LTD, Quarterly Report March 26th 2013

Chuman

Dad of Boy
Awards
i'm curious how this would affect the series besides marketing.

cloudzack117

apparently squeenix is getting destroyed by losses now. GAF seems to think this is a good move, while other sites seem to think square is done. i just hope this doesn't hurt the future of kh/versus 13

rokudamia2

Dream eater ally.
Awards
apparently squeenix is getting destroyed by losses now. GAF seems to think this is a good move, while other sites seem to think square is done. i just hope this doesn't hurt the future of kh/versus 13

I can tell you right now, Wada is to blame for at least 75# of it.

Oracle Spockanort

written in the stars
Staff member
Awards
Website
twitter.com
Wada should have stepped down after the fiasco with Final Fantasy XIV. He hasn't been great, having only been brought in to Square Enix to handle finances and management way back in 2000, and early on in the wake of the Enix merger he was definitely a great asset. The past seven years has been a lot of mismanaging, though, and while not all the blame should be on Wada's head he definitely was a big part of the problem.

I hope Yosuke Matsuda can do better, and now all of the sudden restructuring seems to make sense now. The shift from social games after late last year saying they were planning to push further into the social/mobile market, the announcements of games that have been all but non-existent until now...

rokudamia2

Dream eater ally.
Awards
That's why I said 75% percent of the blame should be on his head.

I also find it ironic this happend right after EA's CEO resigned.

Keyslinger

Kingdom Hearts is one of Square Enix's biggest franchises I don't think that this will affect the series that much. But hopefully changes will happen soon or the company will really need to restructure itself.

Alpha Sonix

Kingdom Hearts on iOS :)

Nah, I'm just kidding. This is possibly the best decision they could have made really. Square Enix is in need of some serious restructuring and better management. They also need to be more willing to take risks like The World Ends With You, so I can't wait to see if Matsuda goes the extra mile. They also need to not be afraid of pushing their Japanese titles in the west. E3 last year and I think the year before that was scarce with anything but Eidos titles.

Taochan

Administrator
Staff member
Awards
Square Enix has such unrealistic expectations for the sales figures of their games.

Tomb Raider hasn't even been out a month yet.

limit

rokudamia2

Dream eater ally.
Awards
No. Square is going to survive. Let's go Matsuda!

Ha! Yeah, I think they can reclaim that title. Square is one of my favorite companies; they don't put out total crap each year *cough*Activision*cough*

Oh really.
FFATB_Logo.png

http://www.finalfantasy.net/mobile-dlg/final-fantasy-bravest-insult-fans-series/

axel95

Awards
Hopefully they won't decide to scrap 2.5 to get KH3 out quicker. I highly doubt they would do that, but you never know...

Claire-Farron

Im scared but also happy and relieved at the same time. Who knows what could really happen in the future with Squeenix. I just dont want another FFXI and XIV. I mean games that include an option to play online with others like BBS is fine but not just no more like XI and XIV.

Maybe this means more new Disney characters and Final Fantasy characters will come way to Kingdom Hearts? Or maybe a Dissidia? :) Id definitely love to see Vaan meet Sora. Or Rapunzel meet Sora and his friends. :)

Last edited:

ajmrowland

Keyblade Master
Awards
Wada should have stepped down after the fiasco with Final Fantasy XIV. He hasn't been great, having only been brought in to Square Enix to handle finances and management way back in 2000, and early on in the wake of the Enix merger he was definitely a great asset. The past seven years has been a lot of mismanaging, though, and while not all the blame should be on Wada's head he definitely was a big part of the problem.

I hope Yosuke Matsuda can do better, and now all of the sudden restructuring seems to make sense now. The shift from social games after late last year saying they were planning to push further into the social/mobile market, the announcements of games that have been all but non-existent until now...
Yeah, changing a head can sometimes change the direction of the company entirely, though at times it doesn't.

WaveK89

I really don't know how to feel about this. Just wishing better times for Square-Enix...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back