• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

Wish: New Disney Flick coming out around Thanksgiving!

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS

BufferAqua

Bronze Member
Awards
I feel like critics went into this film wanting something perfect and just got a fun kids film instead.
Yeah that’s exactly how I feel. Probably had high expectations for the company’s 100th anniversary.

I hate how much I liked This is The Thanks I Get, because everyone else seems to hate it hahaha.

Idreamaboutcats

Awards
I'm trying to grasp if this movie had some moral lesson to it. The last three were "trust everyone and anyone even if they've stabbed you in the back before, again and again and again, and there's no such thing as stranger danger," "grandparents are evil," and finally a mix of "parents are narcissists, oh, and don't poke turtles." which aren't really great lessons to live by if the audience in question have a normal, non-abusive family and friendship dynamic, which is probably like, 85% of the general population. Working hard and pursuing your own dreams is indeed a great lesson, but I have to say, it's incredibly different from the old "if you believe hard enough, it can be yours" "when you wish upon a star" "all it takes is faith and trust" shtick. A welcome one for sure, but very unusual after 100 years of that.

On a more downbeat observation, the opening weekend, a holiday weekend to boot, mind you, numbers are not great. I sort of expected a financial loss, but closer to breakeven.

BufferAqua

Bronze Member
Awards
I'm trying to grasp if this movie had some moral lesson to it. The last three were "trust everyone and anyone even if they've stabbed you in the back before, again and again and again, and there's no such thing as stranger danger," "grandparents are evil," and finally a mix of "parents are narcissists, oh, and don't poke turtles." which aren't really great lessons to live by if the audience in question have a normal, non-abusive family and friendship dynamic, which is probably like, 85% of the general population. Working hard and pursuing your own dreams is indeed a great lesson, but I have to say, it's incredibly different from the old "if you believe hard enough, it can be yours" "when you wish upon a star" "all it takes is faith and trust" shtick. A welcome one for sure, but very unusual after 100 years of that.

On a more downbeat observation, the opening weekend, a holiday weekend to boot, mind you, numbers are not great. I sort of expected a financial loss, but closer to breakeven.
I agree completely on Raya. However, I fully disagree on Encanto. It never implied abuela was evil, she was a traumatized old woman who unfortunately took that trauma on her family, and eventually realized her error. The point was to showcase generational trauma, which is very common in POC families, and as a Caribbean myself I related to it and found it beautiful. Disney has already done the tired American family dynamic, so I appreciated something more realistic to a POC audience (and white families from other cultures deal with the same thing too so it’s not just POC ofc).

I highly doubt having a perfect family dynamic is 85% of the population. Also I’m confused by the turtle one, what movie is that from?
(Oh might be Strange World. Haven’t seen that)

Last edited:

Idreamaboutcats

Awards
I agree completely on Raya. However, I fully disagree on Encanto. It never implied abuela was evil, she was a traumatized old woman who unfortunately took that trauma on her family, and eventually realized her error. The point was to showcase generational trauma, which is very common in POC families, and as a Caribbean myself I related to it and found it beautiful. Disney has already done the tired American family dynamic, so I appreciated something more realistic to a POC audience (and white families from other cultures deal with the same thing too so it’s not just POC ofc).

I highly doubt having a perfect family dynamic is 85% of the population. Also I’m confused by the turtle one, what movie is that from?
(Oh might be Strange World. Haven’t seen that)
You're preaching to the choir here, buddy. Asian here, with Spanish colony history, so you can imagine the double jeopardy/whammy my life has been.😆 I do apologise for the dismissive generalisation though; subjective it may be, when from the outside looking in and not knowing what goes on behind closed doors, everyone else's life seems like a dream by every metric.

And yep, it's Strange World.

BufferAqua

Bronze Member
Awards
You're preaching to the choir here, buddy. Asian here, with Spanish colony history, so you can imagine the double jeopardy/whammy my life has been.😆 I do apologise for the dismissive generalisation though; subjective it may be, when from the outside looking in and not knowing what goes on behind closed doors, everyone else's life seems like a dream by every metric.

And yep, it's Strange World.
Ah yeah I getcha, and no problem, interesting ancestry! I guess in terms of facetiousness the movie did show abuela in mostly an antagonistic light until the end, so I do get your point heh.

Riku21Terr

Awards
What’s Unfortunately going on with wish 😞😣😭😭😭😭 Jesus Christ, what’s wrong with people? You can tell that more than most of the negative reactions from people’s bias towards Disney. And the sad thing is, they will never ever admit that THEY Themselves are part of the problem; I was literally just reading something where people are now Aligning Disney with failure, to the point where they are now going to use terms like “I accidentally set the oven to 450° instead of 350°, so therefore I Disneyed The cake”;“I didn’t study for the biology test, so I Disneyed it miserably“ 😡🤬😡🤬😡 Like I said, we must continue to spread the good word and counter argument for wish, including buying as much books and other merchandise for it as much as possible, and tell others to do the same, because it’s not just wanna wish itself but it’s Disney’s overall reputation, and not even because it’s the movie to celebrate the 100th anniversary

On a sidenote, peoples overall reactions towards Disney, even with some valid and very reasonable points, help me feel the same way that other people do about a certain someone and what she said about a certain kind of people, Which incidentally is actually what the overall moral of Wish is: not letting others control who and or what you are/truly value :)

Riku21Terr

Awards
Don’t ever be ashamed
There’s already a thread for this.

Yeah that’s exactly how I feel. Probably had high expectations for the company’s 100th anniversary.

I hate how much I liked This is The Thanks I Get, because everyone else seems to hate it hahaha.
Don’t ever feel shamed for-responsibly liking something,You are just truly being you :)

Rydgea

keeps leaving X-mas decor up year-round.
Awards
Website
backloggery.com
Surface level, this one has looked interesting to me from the jump. I've been hearing the news about how poorly it has performed/was received, and I never care about any of that shit. It looks interesting, so I'm taking my family to see it this next weekend regardless. I'm just hoping -we- enjoy it.

maryadavies

She Shoots for the Stars
Awards
Website
maryadavies.vze.com
I hope you guys do too Rydega! I sure did. 'Neko..well, he keeps saying it's below some of Disney's worst but I think it's still enjoyable. Yeah it's worse than Oliver and Company (which is one of the movies Disney seems to want to forget) but..maybe it'll be the start of something great later?

Also the current ceo is laying down the law. He's been saying lately with their films they've gotten too preachy. I kind of agree tho I do think Encanto's pretty good too; even more so now that I understand the family drama/ POC family trama thing. ^^ I'm white as can be but we've had some problems in our house that you would not know about. ^^

Last edited:

Riku21Terr

Awards
The fact that the Queen has basically no real reaction to the love of her life becoming corrupted and losing him is really quite baffling, no?
Well, you can start to see her iffyness Towards him if you look closely at her subtle and maybe even not-so-subtle reactions and mannerisms around him in there scenes together, not much and that she does help the protagonist defeat him after all, EH? Not to mention that you do see her at the end give signs that again or not so subtle that she has a completely given up on him he doesn’t want to completely lose him, so she definitely does show some signs of care, EH? :)

Anyways, here is a video that Should truly be considered in regards to wish here :)

Riku21Terr

Awards
Why am I only learning about this just now?
And why did learning about it make me swing from general acceptance and indifference at the movie to actually disliking it after months from its premiere?🙄
Maybe you need to actually think and consider what the movie truly means to you and what you truly know, and not just listen to what others think. That also explains why you were different towards it, because you don’t truly know how you feel towards it, which again also explains why you’re still willing to go with the majority thinks instead of actually thinking for yourself, EH?

Idreamaboutcats

Awards
Dude, that is my real opinion. You’re free to disagree, but don’t go using that ad hominem shit. Take it to a mod or something if you’re really offended. Besides, it’s already 2024, it bombed, big deal, move on.

WaltK

Awards
So, I don't entirely understand the whole "the movie completely ignores that Magnifico has a point" criticism. Because, well… it really doesn't?

Near the beginning there's that whole conversation between him and Asha about how he cannot grant her grandfather's wish because it's too vague, and therefor, too dangerous. Asha doesn't ignore that, and her counterpoint isn't entirely without validity; give back the wishes that are too risky to grant so the people can strive to make them real on their own, and intervene if their intentions do turn out to be impure.

Honestly, the only part of Asha's counterpoint that isn't so well defined is if giving the wishes back includes the ones that are honestly and unambiguously bad. Like, maybe it's for the best that that one guy doesn't remember that he wants white supremacy or whatever.

Last edited:

Riku21Terr

Awards
Dude, that is my real opinion. You’re free to disagree, but don’t go using that ad hominem shit. Take it to a mod or something if you’re really offended. Besides, it’s already 2024, it bombed, big deal, move on.
And what about its life on Disney+, other home media etc.? Many other Disney movies “bombed“ and yet went on to have quite a successful life after the fact, including getting more sequels etc. and other recognition, such as the emperors new groove, hocus-pocus, technically a lot of The Walt era movies such as Bambi, Fantasia etc. And either way, you need to truly have your opinions expressed so that we truly know that they are yours, because it’s not quite clear in the way that your and others are doing them here

Last edited:

Idreamaboutcats

Awards
I didn’t understand one ounce of your English, and honestly, I really don’t care. But I really don’t want a rehash of the Paul incident so I’ll leave it at “you have your opinions and I have mine; let’s agree to disagree”.

I believe this movie had wasted potential and could’ve been better now that a lot of things came to light. Meanwhile, others think it’s perfect as it is, so, eh.

WaltK

Awards
Having watched the making of featurettes; I agree with why they changed Star.

Originally they were supposed to be a shapeshifter who could turn into literally anything, but they realised that made them too powerful, and Asha needed to do more by herself instead of just relying on Star all the time.

Idreamaboutcats

Awards
Fair enough, and I agree to that, though I’d have loved to see Star as a floating magical boy…thing, but since Asha is the protag, character development must be focused on her.

Elysium

Be Wiser Than the Serpent
Awards
I like the idea of a Star (human) romantic interest for Asha and for Amaya to have been evil along with Magnifico, but I don't hate the way the film turned out either. I remain skeptical whether or not Star actually would've been a love interest even if the character had been human though.

Personally, Star was my favorite character for sure, so I wouldn't have wanted to lose them. But it didn't have to be an either/or--assuming the human character would've been a love interest only (not really as interesting if they would've been just another random side character, the movie already has enough of those with the Teens), they could've had both that character and Star (the character in the finished film) simultaneously. Star could've been a sidekick to Starboy the same way Valentino is Asha's sidekick.

Back