• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

Why Xehanort's Guardian is a Heartless, not a dark symbiote (Simple Proof).

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.

5glitchers5

Awards
Before all of the Retcons in KH BBS, the Guardian was a servant/ slave-like Heartless that served Ansem, Seeker of Darkness. Ansem in KH 1 was so powerful at commanding the Darkness he had one main powerful heartless that he commanded and I remember when I bought the strategy guide it clearly said that "the Guardian is his weapon".
Besides that it was even confirmed in KH Chain of Memories when he said "You're afraid of the darkness I command which referred to the Guardian. Besides that I don't think that the Guardian was ever Ansem's "true" form as he "commanded" it. Besides that the Guardian has dark skin, Yellow Eyes, and even the heart-shaped hole through it's abdomen just like Darkside and Invisible. The heart-shaped hole through it's abdomen means it has "no heart" as it's missing a heart meaning it's a pure/ pure bred/ pureblood heartless. Then a "retcon" comes a long in KH BBS showing Terra-Xehanort summoning it. When you do a reaction command, Terra and Aqua light the Guardian and there''s not sign of Terra-Xehanort for that short instant. Was it Master Xehanort's heartless, Master Eraqus's Heartless, or some random powerful pure-blood heartless? We know it wasn't a dark symbiote as it has the heart-shaped hole in it's abdomen. Then again we must think about how it was Retconned and they didn't change it's design. Also in KH 3D when Riku shows him the Guardian the Keyblade it puts it's arm down. Maybe in the current KH series it's Eraqus's heartless as his Heart did enter Terra's and it was originally meant to protect Terra, but because of the Darkness it was able to be used for evil. Also Maybe the Guardian has almost no control over who controls it as it may not have a choice and the only time it put it's arm down in KH 3D was when Ansem was unconsious. It was originally meant to protect Terra, but Xehanot can use it to his advantage. When there was an immense amount of Darkness in Radiant Garden when Aqua fought Terra- Xehanort, maybe the Darkness turned Eraqus into a heartless? We may never know, but I honestly don't think it's a
dark symbiote. I honestly wish they just kept it as a powerful heartless summoned from the realm of darkness similar to how Clayton was able to summon Stealth Sneak in KH 1.
Guardian3D.png

llkua.jpg

Antifa Lockhart

Awards
I don't understand why you're calling it a retcon, though. I might be missing the point, but what are you saying?

Nothing in Birth by Sleep changes the fact that it's a powerful dark Heartless that Xehanort can summon to protect himself. Birth by Sleep establishes that Xehanort had control of the Heartless even before the events of the main game, he summons Neoshadows to fight Ven in the wilderness.

Now, the Guardian itself has always been a weird topic in the fandom. Even before KH2. I remember people wondering if the guardian was an extension of the Heartless Ansem. That's obviously not the case, but there's always been uncertainty.

Gram

Banned
Awards
I don't quite understand either. So many fans cry retcon but you can't retcon something that was never established to begin with. The only thing we've had that's a true retcon to the series is Ansem not really being Ansem and even then that can be debated on being a retcon depending on view.

I've seen many theories on the Guardian over the years, most quite good, but there's nothing confirming what it truly is thus it isn't a retcon in the series. Just an unspecified enigma.

Personally, for simplicities sake, I too think of it as a heartless. Master Xehanort summoned NeoShadows in Ven's flashback showing he's more than capable. This type of power would only be amplified and carried on to Ansem as well since Ansem himself was Xehanorts heartless and made excessive use of manipulating heartless.

5glitchers5

Awards
I don't quite understand either. So many fans cry retcon but you can't retcon something that was never established to begin with. The only thing we've had that's a true retcon to the series is Ansem not really being Ansem and even then that can be debated on being a retcon depending on view.

I've seen many theories on the Guardian over the years, most quite good, but there's nothing confirming what it truly is thus it isn't a retcon in the series. Just an unspecified enigma.

Personally, for simplicities sake, I too think of it as a heartless. Master Xehanort summoned NeoShadows in Ven's flashback showing he's more than capable. This type of power would only be amplified and carried on to Ansem as well since Ansem himself was Xehanorts heartless and made excessive use of manipulating heartless.

We know "Ansem is really Xehanort"
was a retcon I even read somewhere that Xemnas was to originally be the Nobody of Ansem. It makes sense, no other villain I know of has stole one's name and took it as their own, plus in my opinion it makes it seem more convoluted. They retconned Ansem to make more games, it's really that simple. With the production of Final Fanasy Vs. XIII (Eventually Renamed to FF XV) they originally wanted the main KH team to work on KH 3 so while the game was going to be in development (FF XV) they needed to make more games, plus the series wasn't originally planned out. We do know Ansem was added near the end of KH's development to increase the chances of a sequel. Originally this wasn't planned to be a series because KH's success was doubted, they maybe planned to make a sequel, that's it, but the success of KH was phenomenal. Normura changed Ansem's story so he has a similar name to Sora (Sky), Riku (Ground), and Kairi (Sea), so he was inspired by the naming system of Organization XIII and named him Xehanort (No Heart, Another) so he can also make the real Ansem his own character. It was also the perfect way to "surprise" the players. Since KH wasn't originally planned, when he was making KH 2 he had some ideas about KH BBS and that also played a role in the retcon. Anyways I too like to think of the Guardian as a powerful heartless. I mean come on, he as a HEART-SHAPED HOLE through his stomach which literately means "Heart-Less" as it has "No-Heart". Now, Nobodies growing hearts, that wasn't a retcon. Axel's death, and the secret scene in KH 2 FM proves it. It was only confirmed in KH 3D. Also remember Demyx said "Oh we do too have hearts, don't be mad!".

Last edited:

ChibiHearts249

Trapped in the Source Filmmaker
Awards
Well, it's well-established that KH was not planned to be a series. So calling Ansem a retcon is technically fine. No problem with that since there's evidence labeling him that.

Now, many threads have been made on the Guardian. Tons of theories are out there. But to have him actually BE a retcon as you suggest, he must first have a solid established principle for them to doctor up or change. Since the Guardian is and has always been a mystery, no one is truly sure what to make of him. I also second that he is a Pureblood Heartless. But my theory is that he is the darkness in Terra that Eraqus repels. Since the Guardian first appeared after they both were integrated into Terranort's heart, he has been protecting his master - or better still - host. Purebloods must be created by SOMETHING, anyway. But where I hit a snag is why Ansem uses it and not Xemnas. But then again: do you need a heart to utilize Heartless, or perhaps another way is to be one yourself?

Still...I can't say it's a retcon. He IS Ansem's weapon. But he is also protecting his host, who just so happens to be...complicated.

Gram

Banned
Awards
We know "Ansem is really Xehanort"
was a retcon I even read somewhere that Xemnas was to originally be the Nobody of Ansem. It makes sense, no other villain I know of has stole one's name and took it as their own, plus in my opinion it makes it seem more convoluted. They retconned Ansem to make more games, it's really that simple. With the production of Final Fanasy Vs. XIII (Eventually Renamed to FF XV) they originally wanted the main KH team to work on KH 3 so while the game was going to be in development (FF XV) they needed to make more games, plus the series wasn't originally planned out. We do know Ansem was added near the end of KH's development to increase the chances of a sequel. Originally this wasn't planned to be a series because KH's success was doubted, they maybe planned to make a sequel, that's it, but the success of KH was phenomenal. Normura changed Ansem's story so he has a similar name to Sora (Sky), Riku (Ground), and Kairi (Sea), so he was inspired by the naming system of Organization XIII and named him Xehanort (No Heart, Another) so he can also make the real Ansem his own character. It was also the perfect way to "surprise" the players. Since KH wasn't originally planned, when he was making KH 2 he had some ideas about KH BBS and that also played a role in the retcon. Anyways I too like to think of the Guardian as a powerful heartless. I mean come on, he as a HEART-SHAPED HOLE through his stomach which literately means "Heart-Less" as it has "No-Heart".

You keep crying retcon but keep in mind Ansem was the only one. And no that isn't entirely correct. The whole issue about making more games didn't happen till after KH2. KH's secret ending was made in case there was a sequel so KH2 was already existent in theory and ideas. BBS was a concept while KH2 was being made and it was this game that introduced "Xehanort". Xehanort was meant to be revealed in BBS and as a result his existence was first hinted in KH2.

It was until after this that things got out of hand. Days was requested by Nintendo, had nothing to do with final fantasy. BBS was already a thing and Coded was originally a phone game of which I can't remember who asked for it.
Was this used to tide fans over till KH3? Yep definitely, was it done solely because FFvs13? No. SE is a company, they want to make money and they was asked to make something so they made it.

There was many things changed about KH in development but those aren't retcons as the game was a final product yet. Like for example Sora was made but not the original protagonist in mind and even when he was made his design got redone. Sora's original weapon as well wasn't a keyblade but a type of chainsaw weapon.
Just cause it's changed or added in development doesn't mean it's a retcon because development isn't an established fact but a work in progress.

As it stands "Ansem" was the only real retcon. Last I remember seeing the only concepts I saw being made known was that Roxas was originally meant to be Sora's "guardian" or something to that effect, nothing on what Xemnas was originally meant to be. (if he was anything at all at that point)

Given both Xemnas and "Xehanort" was introduced in the final product that is KH2 I don't think it's accurate to label him a retcon as both were introduced together. Xemnas was even mentioned with him as being the nobody of that person.

5glitchers5

Awards
Well, it's well-established that KH was not planned to be a series. So calling Ansem a retcon is technically fine. No problem with that since there's evidence labeling him that.

Now, many threads have been made on the Guardian. Tons of theories are out there. But to have him actually BE a retcon as you suggest, he must first have a solid established principle for them to doctor up or change. Since the Guardian is and has always been a mystery, no one is truly sure what to make of him. I also second that he is a Pureblood Heartless. But my theory is that he is the darkness in Terra that Eraqus repels. Since the Guardian first appeared after they both were integrated into Terranort's heart, he has been protecting his master - or better still - host. Purebloods must be created by SOMETHING, anyway. But where I hit a snag is why Ansem uses it and not Xemnas. But then again: do you need a heart to utilize Heartless, or perhaps another way is to be one yourself?

Still...I can't say it's a retcon. He IS Ansem's weapon. But he is also protecting his host, who just so happens to be...complicated.

Remember in the ORIGINAL Japanese KH 1 there was no secret ending, or bonus secret bosses the USA version had to offer, and Squirming Evil played rather than Night on Bald Mountain for Chernobog. Remember Maleficent was planned to be the main antagonist, and Chernobog the final boss fight. Ansem was added in around the last minute. If anything Ansem is a KH/ Disney-fied version of Sephiroth. This was before Nobodies were even thought of hence why Heartless are the ones with Nobody and Nobodies are the ones with no heart as it wasn't planned originally. Anyways in KH 1 the Guardian makes sense, he was a heartless that Ansem took a liking to the most and it was his main weapon. In KH 1 we know Terra and Eraqus had yet to be thought of so it makes sense. Ansem is a king and have you ever heard of the quote "Kings have their servants fight for them" as that's exactly what the Guardian does. You have to look at it from a KH 1 perspective. Ansem is a king of darkness who controls the darkness that he even made one of the heartless his body guards. It was foreshadowed in Claytons boss fights when he summoned stealth sneak. Ansem had full control over the heartless so used them as his weapon. The Guardian was able to block his attacks and not get hurt when hit with the Keyblade so that's probably why he uses that one. Maybe his own darkness shaped the heartless into his body guard. Anyways you're right it hasn't been established what the Guardian was exactly, but we can know exactly what it was then, but we know Normura's ideas on the Guardian DID change!

Edit: Gram does have a point about some things, I would say that it was an idea, but some of the stuff is not in the final product as he said before the Chainsaw wasn't retconned into becoming the Keyblade. The idea of Xehanort was probably thought of during KH CoM and KH 2's development, but wasn't finalized until KH 2 came out, it probably already was an idea when KH CoM came out, just nor revealed or Diz was just an Enigmatic Man guiding Riku to face his fears of Darkness.

Last edited:

Antifa Lockhart

Awards
Remember in the ORIGINAL Japanese KH 1 there was no secret ending, or bonus secret bosses the USA version had to offer
ASAS was in the original Japanese version too. Here is the original version https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oUBHVLEABQs (Wikipedia is mistaken, this wasn't a US bonus)

Edit: Gram does have a point about some things, I would say that it was an idea, but some of the stuff is not in the final product as he said before the Chainsaw wasn't retconned into becoming the Keyblade. The idea of Xehanort was probably thought of during KH CoM and KH 2's development, but wasn't finalized until KH 2 came out, it probably already was an idea when KH CoM came out, just nor revealed or Diz was just an Enigmatic Man guiding Riku to face his fears of Darkness.

I mean, DiZ was always going to be Ansem. Maybe not Ansem as he appeared in KH II, but even in the original CoM Mickey comments that he feels like he's met him before.

Last edited:

Xehanort-X-blade

keyblade graveyard waiting for the war to begin
ansem guardian really famous these days lol he have many theards and hope im not the only one thinking the guardian came from terra's darkness like ventus his darkness is vanitas and terra darkness is the guardian since he comes in terranort battle for the first time and the guardian appeared before ansem SOD born so it's terra's darkness made that form that's my theory sorry if this off topic

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back