• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

Why do you dislike Religion/ the religious?

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS

What do you think of Religion and the religious?

• WHAT!? Religion and the Religious are deterrents to society

Votes: 1 5.6%
  • The religious are fine but organized religion isn?t

Votes: 7 38.9%
  • Religion does more harm than good

Votes: 3 16.7%
  • I don't know/ care

• Religion does more good than bad

Votes: 1 5.6%
  • WHAT!? Religion and the religious are both beneficial to society!

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Awards
On the contrary, I dislike people who think no-one should ever discuss religion. I welcome anyone to try to push their religion on me and am very happy to explain exactly why I'm an atheist.

That said, I've never had atheists come to my door to try to convert me. Or yell in the street about how I'm an immoral person if I don't share their beliefs. Or follow me around while I'm out jogging trying to convince me to come to weekly meetings. (Dead serious. This chick on a bike followed me for a good twenty minutes, trying to convince me to go to church with her.)

I don't think he's referring to discussing religion when he uses the word "push." Pushing is not a rational conversation with an exchange of beliefs, as you've pointed out in your example. So you may welcome it, but I have no idea how someone would like that from either side of the argument.

I don't hate the religious.
I dislike what organized religion has come to as a whole. Or maybe just what it's always been.

Shade737

Silver Member
Am I the only one who hasn't run into zealous pushy atheists in real life? Because I see all this "but atheists do it too!" and I wonder if they're just referring to the internet.
Thats great for you but I have run into pushy atheists in RL.

Reneeski

I disagree with religion, because i have issues believing that one entity could hold so much power.
Which may be why i like greek mythology and such.

I'm not against religion, I love seeing how others see and love a certain god through their eyes. But I just can't worship.

I can obsess, but not worship

Onasi

LoL. If I had a quarter for every time those verses have been thrown at me. That list is quite outrageous. Even people who don't believe in the Bible wouldn't go as far as to say half of the stuff in that list because it is OBVIOUSLY untrue. I'm not going to start a debate in this thread because it will go way off topic but all I have to say is - it's quite easy for anyone to take things out of context, twist, or misinterpret texts. Especially if it will help fuel their fire. Be it the Bible or any other written or spoken words.

However, I want to ask you something first. Have you yourself actually gone ahead and read the whole Bible? Or even if not EVERY SINGLE VERSE, at least most of it? I have talked to many people who are against the Bible or do not believe it, at least some of them have read it. I'll say my side of the debate and so on. Most of the time, they keep their opinion and okay, not everyone is going to like it. But if you aren't willing to go the extra step to look into the thing you judge so harshly for yourself then I'd rather not waste an explanation on you.

So have you read the books? If not then I suspect you are just taking the list that some Bible haters posted online. Then pointing the finger at those who are religious and saying that they are blindly following someone or something while you yourself are doing the same.

Prove to me how it is untrue? Give me the verses where it says that these are bad things and that God does not promote them or condone them. Don't just say "It's untrue!" with no information to back it up.

Yes I have read the bible. Have you? In fact up until recently I was a devout Catholic. I have read the bible many times and became weaker and weaker in my faith because God's Holy book has nothing moral in it. On top of that all the contradictions and historical events that have been disproven.

I took time and researched things myself. Not just online but in books from my local book store and library. (My favorite being Why Evolution is true.) I went as far as trying to get my hands on an intelligent design textbook. I watched documentaries, debates, and looked up everything creation “Science” and natural science can bring to the table.

Don't just say that's out of context. There is nothing in the bible that puts these things in place to be bad acts.

But I digress. Please put of a counter argument that proves that Religion is beneficial to society and that the bible isn't full of contradictions and logical falsehoods.

And no the thread was not made to bring out haters. I simply wanted to know why and how atheists became atheists. As stated I recently became one. I wanted to see if any theist would post anything that would change my thoughts and lead back to me being a theist again or a atheist posting anything that would strengthen my current beliefs. It might also benefit those on the site who are in the same situation.

I think that religion should be taught in schools under a "World Religion" class. Let people see that most people outside their own religion are just as good as they are. I have no problem with people thinking God exists. Just don't push your beliefs on people with out proof to back them up. But the religious do it again and again without putting up any proof.

If you don't want to put up an argument then don't. Don't force yourself to do something you don't want to do. If you would do so then by all means put up an argument. I'd love to hear it. (Not sarcastic) If not just to show up me than to educate the people who read this thread.

Last edited:

Phoenix

Legendary Member
Awards
*Person comes out of nowhere* God isn't real blah blah blah or fuck religion etc. like anybody asked.

Holy shit, where do you live?

King Wolfe

Basically... Run
Awards
If I were an Atheist, and I'm still considering it, I'd probably dislike religion because of the fact that if you were born under two very religious parents your practically forced into that religion, and unless you break the illusion that you have no control in the matter your stuck.. I also dislike religious people flipping out over a minuscule insult towards their religion.. When in doubt, choose indifference (not all the time mind you) I don't mind atheists, but SOME (keyword some) atheists are as close-minded as the religious nuts out there; and won't accept the fact that the beliefs of other people have no direct impact on your life (unless your married to them) and there is nooo reason to care about their beliefs.. Other than that religion is fine ^^

Phoenix

Legendary Member
Awards
I've never met a single outspoken atheist in my entire life, is why I ask.

Onasi

You bash a religion, and say you weren't trying to bring out haters?

Please.

When did I bash a religion? I simply commented on the immoral passages of the Christian holy book. It would be no different if I pointed out the immoral passages in Eugenics.

I just stated my opinion of the bible, the unjust practices of Christianity, and asked for an argument against my evidence.

Now please state your opinion of the religious or put up an argument.

There is no need for an off topic exchange of what qualifies as "bashing"

Awards
Website
sites.google.com
To avoid even more "off topic exchanges," I'm going to digress.

But, I dislike the 'religious' because they rarely follow the lessons they yell to the high heavens. The way to convert someone should be through actions and teaching, not forceful "evangelizing."

The world's view of a christian is highly different from what (I believe) God wants us to be.

Am I the only one who hasn't run into zealous pushy atheists in real life? Because I see all this "but atheists do it too!" and I wonder if they're just referring to the internet.

I haven't run into too many, but about half of the atheists I know are constantly trying to "push" me out of my religion. Then again, they are people that I know, so I suppose that it's different than when some random person comes out and challenges your belief/dis-belief.

And I don't mind religious discussion. When someone comes and flat out tells me I'm wrong (with no discussion), well, I don't like that.

Reflection

Princess of Heart
Awards
hi :3

I respect all the opinions and posts in this thread and all, but when people mess up facts or twist things to a bias, it kind of ticks me off. >:
soooo. onasi.
i'm taking the time to look up each and every one of these verses you so lovingly referenced because it's like 7 am and no one is awake. ahah.

Saying slavery is okay and that slaves should obey everything their master says:
Ephesians 6:5,
Titus 2:9,
1 Peter 2:18

Ephesians 6:5-9 said:
Slaves, obey your earthly masters with respect and fear, and with sincerity of heart, just as you would obey Christ. Obey them not only to win their favor when their eye is on you, but like slaves of Christ, doing the will of God from your heart. Serve wholeheartedly, as if you were serving the Lord, not men, because you know that the Lord will reward everyone for whatever good he does, whether he is slave or free.
And masters, treat your slaves in the same way. Do not threaten them, since you know that he who is both their Master and yours is in heaven, and there is no favoritism with him.

Titus 2:9-14 said:
Teach slaves to be subject to their masters in everything, to try to please them, not to talk back to them, and not to steal from them, but to show that they can be fully trusted, so that in every way they will make the teaching about God our Savior attractive.

For the grace of God that brings salvation has appeared to all men. It teaches us to say "No" to ungodliness and worldly passions, and to live self-controlled, upright and godly lives in this present age, while we wait for the blessed hope—the glorious appearing of our great God and Savior, Jesus Christ, who gave himself for us to redeem us from all wickedness and to purify for himself a people that are his very own, eager to do what is good.

1 Peter 2:18-21 said:
Submit yourselves for the Lord's sake to every authority instituted among men: whether to the king, as the supreme authority, or to governors, who are sent by him to punish those who do wrong and to commend those who do right. For it is God's will that by doing good you should silence the ignorant talk of foolish men. Live as free men, but do not use your freedom as a cover-up for evil; live as servants of God. Show proper respect to everyone: Love the brotherhood of believers, fear God, honor the king.
Slaves, submit yourselves to your masters with all respect, not only to those who are good and considerate, but also to those who are harsh. For it is commendable if a man bears up under the pain of unjust suffering because he is conscious of God. But how is it to your credit if you receive a beating for doing wrong and endure it? But if you suffer for doing good and you endure it, this is commendable before God. To this you were called, because Christ suffered for you, leaving you an example, that you should follow in his steps.

Keep in mind here that in the time these books were written, slavery was commonplace and accepted.
Does it say anything in here about the gruesome picture of slavery we have today?
No. It's teaching kindness. Can you even call this slavery? It's in passages next to parent and children and teacher and student.
I don't see anything wrong with it, because it teaches GOODNESS to each other.

Jesus’ “Second coming” was supposed to happen when his apostils were still alive:
Mark 8:39 to 9:1 & 13:30 to: 33,
Matthew 16:28 & 24:34,
Luke 9:26-27

*apostles >_>

Lol. Mark 8:39 does not exist.
38 is the last verse in Mark 8.
See, this is case in point.
please, for the love of god [no pun intended] know what you're talking about and don't mindlessly copy and paste from some biased website if you're trying to form an honest opinion. there's no need for any of us to pretend we know so much about religion when we don't.

anyways, if you're referring to mark 8 -

Mark 8:31-38 said:
Jesus Predicts His Death
He then began to teach them that the Son of Man must suffer many things and be rejected by the elders, chief priests and teachers of the law, and that he must be killed and after three days rise again. He spoke plainly about this, and Peter took him aside and began to rebuke him.
But when Jesus turned and looked at his disciples, he rebuked Peter. "Get behind me, Satan!" he said. "You do not have in mind the things of God, but the things of men."

Then he called the crowd to him along with his disciples and said: "If anyone would come after me, he must deny himself and take up his cross and follow me. For whoever wants to save his life will lose it, but whoever loses his life for me and for the gospel will save it. What good is it for a man to gain the whole world, yet forfeit his soul? Or what can a man give in exchange for his soul? If anyone is ashamed of me and my words in this adulterous and sinful generation, the Son of Man will be ashamed of him when he comes in his Father's glory with the holy angels."

Mark 9:1 said:
And he said to them, "I tell you the truth, some who are standing here will not taste death before they see the kingdom of God come with power."

this is Jesus predicting his death and ascension.
not his second coming.
that's even the title, lmao.
now, mark 13:30
:3

Mark 13:30 said:
I tell you the truth, this generation[e] - footnote: or race - will certainly not pass away until all these things have happened. Heaven and earth will pass away, but my words will never pass away.

The Day and Hour Unknown

"No one knows about that day or hour, not even the angels in heaven, nor the Son, but only the Father. Be on guard! Be alert! You do not know when that time will come.

Humanity will not pass away until all these things have happened [in context - rapture etc]
Not the generation of the apostles that are being spoken to.
BibleGateway.com - Passage*Lookup: Mark 13;
It's in the footnotes.

Matthew 16:28 said:
I tell you the truth, some who are standing here will not taste death before they see the Son of Man coming in his kingdom.

Matthew 24:34 said:
I tell you the truth, this generation[a] will certainly not pass away until all these things have happened.

Footnotes:
Matthew 24:34 Or race

Luke 9:26-27 said:
If anyone is ashamed of me and my words, the Son of Man will be ashamed of him when he comes in his glory and in the glory of the Father and of the holy angels. I tell you the truth, some who are standing here will not taste death before they see the kingdom of God.

^ that last one from Luke refers to the transfiguration - BibleGateway.com - Passage*Lookup: Luke 9;
the next passage is even titled "the transfiguration"

lol. these are all the same thing that I just explained.

|:

Snakes and donkeys can talk:
Genesis 3,
Numbers 22:1-35

teehee.
this one is my favorite.
X3
it made me lol for a while, sorry. xD;

do I even need to quote Genesis 3?
everyone pretty much knows that's the snake talking to eve.
how is this evil? lmao.
it's in the garden of eden, in god's kingdom. of course the snake can talk, stop ignoring allegorical elements and taking a story literally. that makes you as bad as the fundamentalist christians you all hate so much.

I firmly believe that the bible was written as an allegory and meant to be interpreted as such;

as for the donkey

Numbers 22:27-28 said:
When the donkey saw the angel of the LORD, she lay down under Balaam, and he was angry and beat her with his staff. Then the LORD opened the donkey's mouth, and she said to Balaam, "What have I done to you to make you beat me these three times?"

:|

do i need to explain that for you?

Blood sacrifice:
Genesis 4:4 & 31:54,
Leviticus 1:9 & 9:18,
2 Kings 16:15,
Ezekiel 39:17
Human sacrifice condoned:
Leviticus 27:29,
Judges 11:29-39,
Numbers 31:31-40

Sacrifice - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Judaism's section in that applies here as well, as the Old Testament is also their holy book. >_>
Just because you don't understand it doesn't mean it's evil, or it's still condoned and happening in Christian churches today.

Incest is fine:
Genesis 4; 9:1; 19:30-38; 20:11-12,
2 Samuel 13:1-15

Spouse abuse is okay:
Numbers 5:5-31,
Deuteronomy 22:13-21 28-29,
1 Peter 3:17

Child abuse is okay- Genesis 22
Deuteronomy 21:18-21; 23:2
Proverbs 13:10, 20:30, 22:15, 23:13-14
Psalms 137:9

why is it that you think everything that you find written in the old testament is in there to condone it?

Pillaging is fine:
Genesis 34:13-29
Deuteronomy 20:13-14
Numbers 31:7-12

Murder is okay:
Exodus 2:12
Judges 9:5, 11:29-39, 14:19
2 Samuel 18:15
1 Kings 2:24-25, 29-34, 46, 9:27, 10:7
2 Chronicles 21:4
Ezekiel 20:26

Cannibalism fine and dandy:
Leviticus 26:29
Deuteronomy 28:53
Isaiah 49:26
Jeremiah 19:9
Ezekiel 5:8-10
2 Kings 6:29

READ IN CONTEXT.
those are curses for disobedience, not the work of god, for goodness sake.
a few of which are actually metaphorical also.

You can’t be a follower of Jesus without hating your family:
Luke 14:26

Cause putting God before your family is totally hating them, amirite?
Don't be stupid.

Child sex slaves okay:
Exodus 21:7-11

Rape victim must marry the rapist:
Deuteronomy 22:28-29

Hebrew laws, not relevant, etc.
<_<
conteeext</3

Look them up yourself. Every time I post the actual verse people always say "That's out of context!"

hurr, maybe because they're right.

Oh and none of that interpretation crap. If God wrote it

ehymojpg.gif

Wow, I am highly insulted. Thanks man.

I don't hate the religious.
I dislike what organized religion has come to as a whole. Or maybe just what it's always been.

pretty much my opinion on the matter.

God's Holy book has nothing moral in it.

ohoho~
oh you

There is nothing in the bible that puts these things in place to be bad acts.

Except, you know, when this all gets ruled out when Jesus comes into the picture.

And no the thread was not made to bring out haters. I simply wanted to know why and how atheists became atheists. As stated I recently became one. I wanted to see if any theist would post anything that would change my thoughts and lead back to me being a theist again or a atheist posting anything that would strengthen my current beliefs. It might also benefit those on the site who are in the same situation.

If you are in that situation, get off the internet and talk to someone who actually knows what they're talking about. Go for a degree in theology, talk a priest.
Arguments like this online are nothing more than stupidity because people get mental hard ons from thinking they're right and someone else is wrong.
If you can't honestly respect someone's opinion and stop putting yourself on a pedestal as some sort of educating savior of us horrid brainwashed Christians, it's hard for me to return the courtesy, or lack thereof.

If not just to show up me than to educate the people who read this thread.

Educate!
LOL.
Stfu.
This is not educating, it's offensive and quite possibly considered propaganda depending on your standards.

When did I bash a religion? I simply commented on the immoral passages of the Christian holy book. It would be no different if I pointed out the immoral passages in Eugenics.

rage.png

Ophan

Airman
Awards
Website
zionphnx.deviantart.com
It's kind of a cycle really. Sometimes the religious we'll
randomly ask about your faith, and discuss theirs with you,
and then they would be tempted to invite you to their church,
or to help you gain the faith in which they share. Some people
do it over the top, but it can't be helped. That person isn't
entirely going to leave without asking why, because that's part
of a learning experience to them, but others may try to criticize
you, if you don't agree with their faith and so forth, and then
there are others who are extremely demonic religious people
like Shirley Phelps who preaches the gruesome nature, of mans
death and destruction as God's will. Not every christian is harmful
though. A christian is genuinely someone who hold Christ in their
heart. It's not a matter of them going to church, but if they simply
believe that Jesus is their Lord and Savior, they are in fact christian.
Burning books, yelling death to gays, and publicly humiliating others
for what they are against in the christian religion is not something
Jesus has ever done as far as i've read. Their are Atheist's who also
publicly humiliate religion, but not in very great numbers. That's not
what they're about. If you talk about religion, chances are they will
challenge your faith, just as a religious person would challenge you
if you had no faith. It's the same when someone who is Muslim
questions your Christianity, or when a debate commences between
a Christian and a Jew, or Sun worshipers, or Buddhists....

Forever Atlas

The World Rests On Me
Awards
Prove to me how it is untrue? Give me the verses where it says that these are bad things and that God does not promote them or condone them. Don't just say "It's untrue!" with no information to back it up.

Oh, I forgot. You are new here. Question - Are you ready to read everything I write? I'm not going to spend a long time getting this information together in a structured format if you are just going to dismiss it without real consideration, because please believe, I could write you a book.

Yes I have read the bible. Have you?

Tee hee. Yesh ma'am.

In fact up until recently I was a devout Catholic.

:/

I have read the bible many times and became weaker and weaker in my faith because God's Holy book has nothing moral in it.

Erm, which Holy book were you reading? <.<

On top of that all the contradictions

I would ask you to show me. But then you'd probably just google it and paste another list :/

and historical events that have been disproven.

Really? Historical events in the Bible have been proved false? Name one please. (I see the flood argument a coming!)

Don't just say that's out of context. There is nothing in the bible that puts these things in place to be bad acts.

Nothing at all? >.>

But I digress. Please put of a counter argument that proves that Religion is beneficial to society and that the bible isn't full of contradictions and logical falsehoods.

Maybe eventually.

And no the thread was not made to bring out haters.

That's hard to believe.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back