• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

Why do atheist celebrate Christmas?

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.
T

The Marauder

In all truth, history suggests that Jesus of Nazareth (Jesus Christ) was not born on the day we know as Christmas. It is more likely he was born in early spring. The holiday of Christmas was enstated on a day that used to be a day celebrated by activities Christians deemed immoral. Germanic peoples celebrated December 25 (On the modern Gregorian calendar) as a day of fighting and drinking. Christians wanted to replace this holiday with one they throught to be more suitable, so they convienently placed the birth of Jesus Christ on this day. I just thought I should put that fact out there, even through it is slightly off-topic.

As for atheists celebrating christmas, perhaps they do not want to offend friends of theirs who are religious. This makes sense to me, and even if people are atheist, Christmas can still be celebratedas a time of charity and kindness.

IF_IL_II_IP

killer card thrower
in place of broken hearts and shattered dreams...
yes i also believe that christmas has been stripped of its true meaning. we are supposed to celebrate the birth of Christ but here we are partying and getting presents. has everyone forgotten why we get together on christmas? has anyone stopped and and prayed on christmas thanking God that his son was born to save us from our sins? i think that athiests celebrate christmas b/c they do not know the true meaning of the holiday. all they know about it is family get togethers, a cooked bird, and presents.
its also likely that due to all the media and christmas specials. there are never specials about the birth of christ
===============EDIT=============
In all truth, history suggests that Jesus of Nazareth (Jesus Christ) was not born on the day we know as Christmas
yes i learned this in religion class. he was more likely to be born around april

Phoenix

Legendary Member
Awards
i think that athiests celebrate christmas b/c they do not know the true meaning of the holiday. all they know about it is family get togethers, a cooked bird, and presents.

Lemme guess, you didn't read the whole topic? We know what it means to christians, but we don't care, we celebrate it our way with our families.

its also likely that due to all the media and christmas specials. there are never specials about the birth of christ

Because christians aren't 100% of the world. The goverment can't back one religion.

very differentiable
Awards
Saying atheists shouldn't celebrate christmas is like you being prohibited to follow maths, after all you don't use logic, an essential part of maths.

Forever Atlas

The World Rests On Me
Awards
At times like these, I wish I had mod powers. Did this thread really need to be revived after 2 freakin years? >.>

Anyway, Christmas is a pagan holiday, so the question is, should Christians really be celebrating it?

/thread

D

Deleted member 70496

Christmas is so commercial now not a lot of people get together to celebrate the birth of Christ. Most Christmas parties I go to don't center around Jesus and Mary, but Santa and reigndeer instead. I celebrate Christmas because all of my friends and family have the time off so it's a time I'm able to spend time with them. Also, gifts are fun! :)

Noir

Bronze Member
Awards
Well yeah, it pretty much started as a holiday to celebrate Jesus Christ.
However, the world has begun to take their religion for granted. I know I have. I was a Christian but began to grow confused, and angry of my religion. How if God would appear to these people.... why not everyone else. I gave up. I pleaded for a sign. But I never got one. No one will as far as I'm concerned. But I still celebrate Christmas with my family, who are Christians. They hate the fact that 'I'm going to rot in hell' but we all love each other.
The holiday is now mostly concerned about the giving. That's why in a lot of christmas specials they get the message across that 'It's not the receiving. It's the giving'. Because giving is a sign of love.

Aetheus

I've never considered Christmas to be a religious holiday. Its just an excuse for my family to cook up an extra large dinner, waste some cash on cheap gifts and act nice to each other for a day.

And I've always wondered why it isn't pronounced as Christ-mas.

C

Charlie

Atheists like getting gifts, and bitching about how Jesus didn't exist, while drinking some good rum or eggnog around a pretty fire.

Corrupted bastards <3

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back