• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

Why do atheist celebrate Christmas?

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.

nitro-XIII

I never understood why a doubter would embrace and honor the birth of Christ? WTF! This kinda makes me mad…. “Kinda”…. But I think that the reason that this has happened is because the true meaning of Christmas (Jesus B-day) has been lost in most of the world. Now I think that all atheist should not partake in Christmas, it’s a mockery it the Christian religion, and to Jesus (which I know that an atheist would not care) but to that I say that you are only contradicting yourself. I’m not telling you to change your ways because due to being blinded by science and other things, you logic has made u stubborn. I’m only looking for an answer, and please don’t say “the presents”. But do u think?

Skinwalker

Website
en.wikipedia.org
It's not a "mockery of Christianity" for non-Christians to celebrate Christmas. Christmas is no longer a strictly religious holiday, yes it was created by Christianity, yes it draws aspects from Pagan beliefs, blah blah blah, but Christmas just isn't just about Christianity any more. Also, it is considered the holiday of love and giving, 'good will to all men' etc., so there's not really any harm in it. Some buddhists celebrate christmas because they respect beliefs and holidays etc. based on love, is it wrong for them to celebrate Christmas?

You can't tell people what to believe and you can't tell people what to do (for the most part).

Libra

Your Ending Theme
I may not be christian, but it isn't gonna stop me from being around my family and friends. I view this holiday as a time to be at peace with the people you care for the most.

nitro-XIII

Yeah I know that I can’t tell people what to believe in I even said that earlier,
I’m not telling you to change your ways because due to being blinded by science and other things, you logic has made u stubborn. I’m only looking for an answer, and please don’t say “the presents”.

but you probably didn’t read that, tisk, tisk, tisk. I said that “I think”, not “you better not”, or “you should not”. And even though love and giving, 'good will to all men' is what Christmas is considered now it isn’t the complete reason for the season(yeah I know that rhyme is lame) but its Jesus.

Libra

Your Ending Theme
nitro-XIII said:
Yeah I know that I can’t tell people what to believe in I even said that earlier,

but you probably didn’t read that, tisk, tisk, tisk. I said that “I think”, not “you better not”, or “you should not”. And even though love and giving, 'good will to all men' is what Christmas is considered now it isn’t the complete reason for the season(yeah I know that rhyme is lame) but its Jesus.

I think you're failing to see that the whole idea of christmas was to draw in new followers. If you truely wanted to celebrate his birth it would be on the accurate date, not taking the place of a pagan holiday.

See I really don't care what christians think that day is, all that matters is what that day is. It is simply a day to be with family...To me at least.

var1ables

Play hard, go pro.
Awards
The reason is because it is widely just celebrated. That day was orginallly a day that the pagans gave there kin(family) gifts for some reason. So it wouldn't be a mockery seeing as it is a stolen tradition.

nitro-XIII

Yeah I see were your going, but do what you plz, I can’t stop you, thank you for your honesty and replies, my question has been answered. Oh and by the way, Christmas is taken very seriously (region-wise) in my house and since my interrogates has been enlighten by knowledge thanks to you’ll, I have another what dose Christmas mean in your(atheist) house?

Kira Haro

Unknown
I don't celebrate it, jackass.

[/rant]

Ahem, in any case, those atheists that do still celebrate it are either A) Doing it for their loved ones, B) Are greedy bastards that want money or C) Ignorant.

An atheist technically shouldn't be celebrating it, as I stated above in my first line.

Last edited:

Libra

Your Ending Theme
nitro-XIII said:
I have another what dose Christmas mean in your(atheist) house?

I've already stated that it's basicly a time to be with everyone. Although in my house the majority is christian lol

Skinwalker

Website
en.wikipedia.org
Well, my family is Christian (half Catholic), my mum goes to church every Sunday, and on Christmas day, I used to go with her but I stopped going on Sundays when I was about 10 or 11 years old and I stopped going altogether apart from things like weddings, funerals, christenings/ baptisms, my confirmation (ironic? <<...)

while for some reason it's still all about Jesus, the nativity, religion etc., now it's just... Christmas.

Kira_Haro, it's not that they shouldn't be celebrating it, that's fine as long as they're celebrating it being a time of love, peace, all that crap, not religion.

Athiests can believe in Father Christmas right?

Legato2471

nitro-XIII said:
I never understood why a doubter would embrace and honor the birth of Christ? WTF! This kinda makes me mad…. “Kinda”…. But I think that the reason that this has happened is because the true meaning of Christmas (Jesus B-day) has been lost in most of the world. Now I think that all atheist should not partake in Christmas, it’s a mockery it the Christian religion, and to Jesus (which I know that an atheist would not care) but to that I say that you are only contradicting yourself. I’m not telling you to change your ways because due to being blinded by science and other things, you logic has made u stubborn. I’m only looking for an answer, and please don’t say “the presents”. But do u think?

I'm atheist and I celebrate because these days it's hard to spell christmas without capitalism. Nobody knows when christ was actually born, but the day December 25 was chosen for some reason or another, I'm not really sure why. I think as said above, it's more of a time to be with friends and family and celebrate the peace that you have in your life.

Ryu

an obscene gesture
nitro-XIII said:
lol i saw Ryu reading this post but i guess he is to great to bless this thread with his point of view (reverse psychology plz work.)
.. lmao. I actually am too great, but I have my humble moments.

<.< Either way, from what I know, most Atheists celebrate it because they grew up in a Christian family for example, and it's become more of a habit to them rather than the celebration of anything.

As for Christians who solely want to celebrate Jesus his birthday, I don't understand why they would want to on the 25th of Dec. Explain to me that first, we'll get to the trees and the likes later.

Ryu

an obscene gesture
quitejaded said:
Ryu, stop acting like you don't know...
I know most things there are to know behind Christmas, I just want to hear his own explanation.

rikubaka67

Awards
It's not a "mockery of Christianity" for non-Christians to celebrate Christmas. Christmas is no longer a strictly religious holiday, yes it was created by Christianity, yes it draws aspects from Pagan beliefs, blah blah blah, but Christmas just isn't just about Christianity any more. Also, it is considered the holiday of love and giving, 'good will to all men' etc., so there's not really any harm in it. Some buddhists celebrate christmas because they respect beliefs and holidays etc. based on love, is it wrong for them to celebrate Christmas?

You can't tell people what to believe and you can't tell people what to do (for the most part).

Christmas is the celebration of the birth of Jesus Christ. And besides, if that was true, then why are people wanting everyone to say "Happy Holidays" instead of "Merry Christmas"?

I think you're failing to see that the whole idea of christmas was to draw in new followers. If you truely wanted to celebrate his birth it would be on the accurate date, not taking the place of a pagan holiday.

Not true. As I said before, it's a celebration of the birth of Jesus Christ. Also;

but the day December 25 was chosen for some reason or another, I'm not really sure why.

It's because no one knows when the actual birth of Christ is, but they chose to hold it during winter, something about "having a light in the dark months of winter" (???)

Oh and by the way, Christmas is taken very seriously (region-wise) in my house

Same here.

They celebrate it as a family occasion.If Christianity can take a pagan holiday and do as they which, so can others.

Which holiday?

And, if anyone's interested, the word "Holiday" actually means "Holy day." ;)

Skinwalker

Website
en.wikipedia.org
Some Christians do celebrate Christmas on what is considered to be the "true date" of Jesus' birth, the 6th of January (the Epiphany).

The holiday most people refer to with the whole Christmas on the day of a pagan holiday thing is usually Yule.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back