• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

When are we expecting news?

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS

Luminary

Bronze Member
Awards
I think there’s a solid chance they’ll have a video game panel this year. Beyond KH4, they have Indiana Jones and Star Wars Outlaws for sure this year. I’m hoping Epic Mickey Rebrushed releases sooner, but there’s that too. And several projects in development that we haven’t seen yet like Amy Hennig’s Black Panther and Captain America team up game, EA’s Iron Man, Star Wars Eclipse from Quantic Dream, etc.

My hope is they’ll be at the point of actually demo-ing the game by then and will have a preview event there similar to the one in May 2018 for KH3.

But at minimum, I think it’s too big an event to not make some kind of appearance even if the release is farther out. This event only comes every two years. D23 2017 was the Toy Story reveal which was arguably one of the most important world reveals for the game bringing Pixar into the fold. That trailer is one of the most viewed KH3 trailers on YouTube. So I wouldn’t surprised if they have a similar huge reveal there like Star Wars. I’ve suggested it before, but it would incredible if Mark Hamill came out to introduce the trailer as both a Star Wars and KH vet.

Last edited:
Awards
Spring starts on March 19th so hopefully we'll hear more about Missing-Link again (unless there's another blasted delay for the android beta again). I'm still on copium for March 28th or next month but we'll see. Also still have hope for KH being at D23 2024 in August as well.

celebi

Awards
Spring starts on March 19th so hopefully we'll hear more about Missing-Link again (unless there's another blasted delay for the android beta again). I'm still on copium for March 28th or next month but we'll see. Also still have hope for KH being at D23 2024 in August as well.
It's crazy that you guys can actually wait until August. I wish I could have that level of mental patience in these times xD

And yeah I know that we cant change the date when we will get actually informations, but still waiting potentilly till August is killing me)

Last edited:

Luminary

Bronze Member
Awards
It's crazy that you guys can actually wait until August. I wish I could have that level of mental patience in these times xD

And yeah I know that we cant change the date when we will get actually informations, but still waiting potentilly till August is killing me)

I think you may be mistaking me for saying we won’t see it until then. I’m just saying D23 is almost as close to a sure fire bet we can make for where it will make an appearance. Not that it’s the next time we’ll see it.

I fully believe we will see something by June at the latest. I think it will be shown before Missing Link releases to help hype that game up. Just like how they showed Rebirth and Ever Crisis together at SGF before the latter released.

Chaser

Not KHI Site Staff
Staff member
Awards
The rumour / leak for Epic Mickey Rebrushed is April with June as the latest so it wouldn't be a part of D23. The other stuff should justify a games panel but we'll see.

I hope it isn't a wait until August though.

Luminary

Bronze Member
Awards
The rumour / leak for Epic Mickey Rebrushed is April with June as the latest so it wouldn't be a part of D23. The other stuff should justify a games panel but we'll see.

I hope it isn't a wait until August though.

That would make sense with it being shown in the Direct that was supposed to be for stuff in the first half of this year.

Tickets go on sale for D23 on 3/26, so maybe we’ll start learning what some of the panels, etc. will be.

2 quid is good

Awards

I still feel like the period between d23 2013 and e3 2015 was worse. Sure we got some small stuff but none of it was particularly encouraging. I was pretty worried when I heard about the engine switch from Luminous.

Also, side note, why did they feel the need to move to UE5? Rebirth looks freaking amazing and it's on UE4. Ah well.

I'm sure KH4 will drop something at Summer snooze fest

Liodin

Awards
Also, side note, why did they feel the need to move to UE5? Rebirth looks freaking amazing and it's on UE4. Ah well.
Because the transition to UE5 will have to be made at some point anyway, and it is better to do it now with the beginning of the new arc so they can become familiar with the new technologies offered by the engine and can create the basis of what will be the tools, the working methodology, etc. for future KHs, so that the following games can be developed faster.

2 quid is good

Awards
Because the transition to UE5 will have to be made at some point anyway, and it is better to do it now with the beginning of the new arc so they can become familiar with the new technologies offered by the engine and can create the basis of what will be the tools, the working methodology, etc. for future KHs, so that the following games can be developed faster.
That's exactly what they said about UE4 yet here we are xD

Luminary

Bronze Member
Awards
SE announced a publisher sale on Xbox platforms with KH as the focal point, even though FF, DQ, etc. are part of the sale too. The Xbox site says “Keyblades for everyone” lol. The sale ends March 18th. Not really KH4 news, but it’s nice to see KH get some attention. They could be starting to push the series again as ML and hopefully KH4 prep for full force marketing.

I think most expected KH3 to be that for the series. And many are understandably concerned that by the time a potential KH5 gets into development, it could be time to switch to UE6 or something. I hope that’s not the case as UE5 is only two years into its life cycle, but at the very least we’ll probably be in or on the cusp of the next console generation. But I hope they do like Remake/Rebirth and just commit to the engine for at least three games.

It’s also worth noting that when comparing KH3 to the Remake series, KH3 actually has more immersive and interactive environments and details. From things like the statue in Olympus you can knock down to access a chest or the ballon stands in Toy Box you can hit to trigger the high pitched voice gag. Even little details like leaving tracks in the snow or being visibly wet after swimming. But the game was also segmented into multiple areas with load screens in between. As they likely move away from load screens to something more seamless, a more powerful engine could be a huge help to render all that without sacrificing that feeling of being able to interact with the worlds.

Meanwhile, Rebirth has that seamlessness already, but it doesn’t have the same level of interactiveness with the environment. Plenty to explore and beautiful visual design. But much more static in comparison. And this isn’t a knock on Rebirth at all. It just has different priorities to focus on. But given what those priorities are, it doesn’t make sense to move that series to UE5 when UE4 can do everything they need.

Last edited:
Awards
SE announced a publisher sale on Xbox platforms with KH as the focal point, even though FF, DQ, etc. are part of the sale too. The Xbox site says “Keyblades for everyone” lol. The sale ends March 18th. Not really KH4 news, but it’s nice to see KH get some attention. They could be starting to push the series again as ML and hopefully KH4 prep for full force marketing.

Welp this proves that KH is indeed up next on the marketing train if they make it the focus of a sale.

celebi

Awards

It would have been great if Kingdom Hearts 4 news had been released alongside it. That way, people who are not yet fans of Kingdom Hearts or already have multiple copies of the game would become interested in the series with a new Kingdom Hearts 4 trailer. Subsequently, Square Enix could advertise the sale alongside it, making it easy for new people to get into the other titles with the new hype built up from the Kingdom Hearts 4 news.

Luminary

Bronze Member
Awards
It would have been great if Kingdom Hearts 4 news had been released alongside it. That way, people who are not yet fans of Kingdom Hearts or already have multiple copies of the game would become interested in the series with a new Kingdom Hearts 4 trailer. Subsequently, Square Enix could advertise the sale alongside it, making it easy for new people to get into the other titles with the new hype built up from the Kingdom Hearts 4 news.

Maybe the games will return to GamePass once we see KH4 instead. (They’re already on PS+). This could be their last ditch attempt to make some more sales before they move them back to subscription. Lol.

It very well could just be totally random and not to do with anything upcoming. But with FFXIV releasing on Xbox next week, you would think they’d lean into the FF titles that are part of the sale.

Also, Summer Games Fest is confirmed for June 7th. It’ll be a two hour presentation. A bit tinfoil hat, but some KH merch is releasing the same day in Japan. So could be deliberate timing to release alongside a KH trailer.

Last edited:

HakaishinChampa

Awards
Welp this proves that KH is indeed up next on the marketing train if they make it the focus of a sale.
Yeah I found it odd because they normally don't do slogans like that when they put KH on sale

It's usually "Save for select square enix games" not "keyblades for everyone" a little interesting

Luminary

Bronze Member
Awards
State of Unreal is happening right now at GDC. Probably won’t see KH, but these other UE5 games look amazing. Makes me excited to see what KH4 looks like now.

There was a trailer for Marvel 1943: Rise of Hydra which will be releasing next year. (The Captain America/Black Panther game from Amy Hennig.) No gameplay but the cutscenes look incredible. And yes, they are rendered in real time!

They’re also bringing EGS to mobile, so we could potentially see the whole KH series on iOS and Android eventually.

Edit: Here’s the trailer for Marvel 1943 for anyone interested.

GDC is honoring Yoko Shimomura tonight with a lifetime achievement award. They had a concert earlier honoring her work including KH!

Last edited:

Luminary

Bronze Member
Awards
Sorry to double post, but don’t want to bury this in the edits of the last one. IGN interviewed Shimomura for her award and she confirmed she’s currently working in tracks for KH4!

Here’s the relevant quote:

She's currently working on the soundtrack for Kingdom Hearts 4, for which she will only say she's writing "a number of songs at the moment."

Chaser

Not KHI Site Staff
Staff member
Awards
Can not think of someone who deserves that award more. Yoko Shimomura has worked so hard across so many franchises, creating the iconic music millions listen to and enjoy. So good!

As for the KH4 news, at least it means they're actively writing and recording. Seems like Reality in the Dark might have just been an early commissioned piece, but good to know they've got enough locked in to get going with the soundtrack.

Luminary

Bronze Member
Awards
Another music-themed update, but this time not directly related to KH4. Utada’s music videos are being uploaded in 4K for her upcoming album release. Hikari releases the 24th and Passion on the 30th.

Her album Science Fiction with the Hikari re-recording releases on 4/10.

(That just happens to be the 2nd anniversary since KH4 and ML’s announcement too.)

Can not think of someone who deserves that award more. Yoko Shimomura has worked so hard across so many franchises, creating the iconic music millions listen to and enjoy. So good!

As for the KH4 news, at least it means they're actively writing and recording. Seems like Reality in the Dark might have just been an early commissioned piece, but good to know they've got enough locked in to get going with the soundtrack.

Agreed. Words honestly can’t express the impact her music has had on me. It wasn’t until I was an adult (long after I grew to love her from KH) that I learned she was also the composer for Super Mario RPG. Which was the first game I loved and my favorite until KH1 released. She has basically always been the composer of whatever my favorite game happened to be since I’ve been playing games. 😅

Last edited:
Back