• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

What you like most about the games (gameplay)

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.

Muke

whatever
Awards
Since there is always some negativity around concerning the gameplay aspects of some of the games, i thought it'd be nice to have a thread where everyone can list their favorite gameplay mechanic out of each game. Like, I dunno, you like the combos in KH2, you liked Command Melding in BbS, you liked Flowmotion in DDD,...

Of course discussing is great, but please be nice to each other.

The_Echo

Anti-SENA Operative
Awards
KH: I like the idea of Keyblades having different lengths. This is included in later games, but the increased character movement/reach makes it less important. Gives something to them other than stats, even if stats win out in KH1 anyway.

CoM: I actually really like the card combat, I think it has a lot of potential for a more strategic action combat system, something truly unique in the ARPG space.

KHII: Well, everything honestly. They really knocked it out of the park here. Special shoutout to defensive-offensive magic in Fire and Reflect.

Days: I like being able to edit my shortcuts in the field.

BbS: Command Deck is a great system for delivering flashy action on handhelds. Dimension Link and Styles played to the strengths of that system.

Re:c
: I love everything they did in this game. The clock trees made each Keyblade functionally different and useful and the cheats offered customization that still hasn't been topped.

DDD
: Tying stat abilities to Spirits was an interesting idea. It meant shuffling your party based on your playstyle or circumstance (like making sure you have Slow Block for Young Xehanort)

χ[chi]
: I liked the concept of combat being 100% setup. Fixing a good deck and stacking the right skills. It was an interesting approach to a more casual RPG and something that worked well on the platform.

U
χ: All the changes from χ[chi] really help make the combat more engaging, while still retaining the setup/strategy motif of the original. I lament the loss of openly-explorable worlds but it was a good decision for the platform.

: Situation Commands are a welcome evolution to KHII's Reaction Commands. Also, multiple shortcut pages.

Launchpad

i remember the OLD khinsider
Awards
I'll go real specific, since I've made posts like this before--

KH1

Spacey enemies, position in battles being important, those FAT finishers Sora does that send enemies flying across the screen.

COM

Commanding Donald and Goofy to do specific moves

KHII

Air combat is great great great, combos are pitch perfect

BBS

I kind of have nothing to say

DAYS

Different Keyblades have different combos. That concept is so dope

CODED

I'm always ready for gimmicks

DDD

Reality Shift. they went too far, but world specific gimmicks are cool

Dr_Mario64

I honestly don't get where the negativity is coming from. Like, in my opinion the gameplay is one the things about Kingdom Hearts that is consistently good!

Anyway, unpopular opinion; I know, but I think COM's combat system is one of the best in the series. It's literally the reason I am revisiting RE:CoM as we speak, despite everything else about the game being painfully mediocre.

Edit: also, the bosses in this game are a lot more challenging and creative than I originally gave them credit for. Like, seriously, only 3D has come close to having bosses that are this much fun to fight.

Last edited:

ultima-demi

(>..)>
Awards
KH2.

I really like how fluid and fast Sora's combos are and how hard he hits.He fights like he's actually using a blunt weapon.You can feel the impact of his attacks.

Like you can tell he's hitting hard and putting his all in his attacks,enemies always getting launched at the end of his combos.

Last edited:

moonstar_xo

KH1: I feel like this is the game where you were able to interact with the environments the most, which was always super fun

COM: Even though the card system frustrated me to no end, it was a really clever and unique gameplay system

KH2: KH1's combat could be a little clunky at times, and I think this game really smoothed it over

DAYS: tbh I think I liked Days far more for its story than its gameplay mechanics, but a lot of the bosses were really cool

BBS: I can't think of anything specific but overall I did find it a really fun game to play. I think it was refreshing because for some reason I just wasn't super thrilled with the gameplay of Days and this was a nice, refreshing game to play after that

Coded: This was another game where I liked the story more than the gameplay (maybe it's something to do with DS titles? idk lol) but I did find it more fun to play than Days

DDD: Reality Shift was really fun. Also I found it an overall fun game to play. It felt very fast-paced to me, which I enjoyed

0.2: I feel like this game added a lot of the good aspects of gameplay from some of the handheld titles (like shotlocks and such) while keeping some of the good gameplay mechanics of KH1 and KH2

Caxinuld

Awards
KH1: Platforming and exploration
CoM: Card System
KH2: Combat
Days: Mission Mode
BBS: Nothing specific
Coded: The variety within the worlds, the game had side-scrolling action, rail shooting similar to space harrier and the turn based gameplay of Final Fantasy.
DDD: Flowmotion made traversing the oversized worlds so much easier.
0.2: The situation commands for magic.

Hirokey123

Awards
KH1: Trinity marks
CoM: Card system
KH2: The entire battle system
Days: The implementation of the panel system and how it does a great way at letting the player experience Roxas's steady growth, getting a little stronger each day.
BBS: Aqua's gameplay
Coded: The keyblade system it's the perfect refinement of Days's keyblade system.
DDD: Flowmotion or maybe dream eaters or maybe reality shift this game had so many good/fun mechanics...probably flowmotion though
0.2: Vastly improved shotlock system

catcake

eien no chikai
Awards
KH1: The atmosphere and mood, especially in the original worlds, but even the Disney worlds felt better here than in any other game.
CoM: Story. That's the only thing I like about this game, but I like it a LOT. Love the manga version.
KH2: Everything about the gameplay. Wouldn't really change anything. except remove Demyx
Days: Some really good music and mission mode was a good idea in theory.
BBS: Vanitas & Command board minigame
Coded: I love the gameplay. Combos and commands feel better here than in any other handheld. Love the story as well.
DDD: Traverse Town new areas look pretty
0.2 The environments look absolutely gorgeous. Also all the Phantom Aqua fights are really good.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back