• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

What Kingdom Hearts Means To Me

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.

Walkway

(inc. Walls of Text)
So, yesterday I picked up the japanese version of Birth By Sleep and it got me thinking about the small, but special role this series has had in my life. (Excuse any date slip ups I have, it's all pretty hazy x))
First of all, I'm sixteen, so when the first Kingdom Hearts came out I was around eight or nine. Being as young as I was, I wasn't too into the series or anything, and so my brother ended up playing it while I watched, and after we finished, we didn't really look back and I forgot pretty much everything that happened. CoM came out a few years later and I didn't really blink an eye at it.

Ever since I was a kid, I've had an incredibly awful form of Pectus Carnivatum (basically my sternum sticks out, but my case is very irregular.) and so my ribcage is bent and going diagonal in my chest pretty much. It wasn't a big deal, and it never looked that awful. I got an x-ray for it when I was like, six. No big deal.
So a routine doctor checkup when I'm twelve, and stuff gets real. He starts going on about how it's looking way worse than usual, but it was probably just because I was growing. I didn't think much of it, though I probably should've, because a few weeks after I was playing on some rocks by the lake in what I think was early march. I fell onto said giant, jagged rock, right onto my chest and ribs, and was put in the most pain I've ever felt in my life. Went back to the doctor, was told to get an x-ray immediately.

I got the x-ray, and my chest and ribs were all effed up, and I guess there was a chance that I'd get one of my organs punctured and possibly die at some point, so wicked surgery to straighten my body out had to ensue. Wicked, dangerous surgery. I flipped out and was crying non-stop, afraid I was going to die. My mother, in an attempt to console me, promised she'd buy me a video game, so we went to gamestop and I'm depressed as hell looking through all the games. There was nothing I liked, absolutely nothing. Defeated, I told my Mom I wanted to go home. But my Mother thought otherwise and pointed to a Kingdom Heats II cardboard cut out with one copy of the game on it. "What about this one?"

I decided to get it, but I figured it'd just be an rpg I'd blow through without really caring, and then it would be over.
Boy was I wrong, because what ensued was the most wonderful gaming experience of my life. It was just so...fun! I liked the fighting, and I loved the story, and it was just so amazing, and it calmed me down a lot. So before my surgery, I played through most of the game, and it eased the pain and fear so much; it was my escape from reality. Rather than laying in my bed crying about how I might die, I got to take up a keyblade as Sora and fight the forces of darkness in an incredibly cool fashion. I know it gets a lot of grief, but it remains my favorite game of all time.

Obviously I lived through the surgery, and I went back to playing Kingdom Hearts II, grinning and smiling all the way. I beat it as soon as I got back from the hospital, and I'd never been happier in my life, and to this day the series remains very, very close to my heart, and I've gotta thank Nomura and his band of merry programmers and designers for helping me through that terrifying time in my life.

tl;dr: Spelling errors. I almost died and KH II made me feel better. Also I'm a sentimental sap.

Does anyone else have a sentimental attachment to this series for some reason? Feel free to tell. x) Thanks for reading this huge wall of text if you did. ;p

Last edited:
Z

Zulkir

Your condition isn't going to continue to hurt you right? Hopefully it wont....:s

I actually avoid placing sentimental value in anything such as objects, shows, games, fictional characters and stories...ect, but I'll tell you, most people actually like KH1 and CoM much more than KH2 hehe

Silverslide

need some more candy cane
Dude this story is amazing, i'm so happy that the surgery didn't kill you. And yes I do have a sentimental attachment but it isn't close to your experience. Basically, me and parents were going through a rough time, we were in debt and could barely pay the rent( and it kind of still is like that) anyway I asked my mom if I could buy KH2 because it look really cool and she replies like she always does "Don't even think about asking for games in the situation we are in right now" And I was bummed, but for some reason she came through, so I bought the game and stuff and played and it really cheered me up and made me more optimistic for our future and I still hold on to that hope. Especially at the end when they defeated Xemnas and the credit music played and that is why I am so attached to kingdom hearts nowadays. T_T

Jesus

Hater-bending
Awards
your story ALMOST made me shed A tear, ALMOST
when i was little i was a bit of a shut out so i only played video games. when i got kh, i tried to be more like sora and now i am .... normal?
a bit sappy, but hey

Haeralis

Remains of the Judgement
Awards
Website
www.youtube.com
A word of advice, if you honestly enjoy KHII so much than I extremely recommend Kingdom Hearts II Final Mix. Trust me, its WAY better than the original KHII.

I too have a lot to love this series for. It was pretty much the first thing that made me a RPG gamer, or even a gamer in general.

I went to Florida to see my cousins, I was like 7 at the time. They were playing on their fancy PS2's and I was so intrigued by what they were playing. They were visiting some of the worlds that I had always remembered from the old disney movies. Tarzan, Olympus, Wonderland, and my favorite was Traverse Town. When I finally got a PS2 I got KHI and invested a lot of time into it, and it remains one of the few games that someone hasnt ruined for me due to lack of a spoiler warning lol. Then I played KHII, I liked it a lot too, though I sort of disliked what they did with the incredible Hollow Bastion stage in the first game, as well as the somewhat ruining of one of my favorite villains, Ansem SoD. Then I got KHIIFM and it was AMAZING among the best games Ive ever played. Then I got KHIFM and I loved that a lot as well. So yeah due to this being what made me an RPG fan, I do love the series a lot, even though I dont really play it all that often now. I am playing Birth by Sleep right now however.

I loved your story by the way

CadenLuminara137

Stepping out of the darkness, and into the light
Even though i've never played it, Birth By Sleep, from just watching cutscenes, seems to, I dunno give me this sense of accepatance. I never have fit in, and still don't as a freshman in highschool. Kingdom Hearts has always helped me with that. And the intricacy of Birth By Sleep keeps me interested and happy. I don't know what it is, but i feel a strong connection to the characters, especially Ven.

Raiinu K.D.

Awards
Oh wow... Your story really made my heart swell up. ;w; I'm so glad you're all right now...

Anyway, I, too, have very sentimental connections to Kingdom Hearts, although they aren't because of anything in my real life. It just fills you with such a sense of nostalgia, as everyone always says, and call me sappy but I'm a sucker for cheesey lines and tales of love and heroism and happiness, and I especially love fantasy. As for gameplay, it's LOADS of fun, and I've always just been amazed at how beautiful this series is, and it's made me laugh and cry plenty of times, and I often feel like I can relate to the characters, and like they've taught me lots of stuff about life, so... Yeah.

But what I love the most about Kingdom Hearts: It's so darn weird. C:

Xarhas

I've played all the games in the series, except for BBS, Coded, and the final mixes, and I have to admit, KH is really the video game that has influenced me the most. Most RPG's I've played I really like a lot, but KH has that kind of thing in it that makes you feel...how do I explain it? It just makes it different from the rest. Anyways, I started playing the series when I was like...five? Yeah, I know, really young. I didn't really get into it completely until I was about nine. At that time in my life (and still now), I was a total nerd and didn't really have that many friends. And the friends that I had weren't the greatest either. So whenever I was home from having a horrible day due to stress or inevitable drama at school(yes, even when I was fifth grade we had drama. Kinda sad), I found myself throwing my backpack to the floor and running down the stairs, popping either KH1 or KH2 in my PS2 and winding back with a controller in hand.
Kingdom Hearts is like my favorite story of all time (even though Nomura loves to retcon), including books, games, movies, etc. The gameplay, plot, design, and the characters really have let me make a connection to the series. This'll sound really corny, but Kingdom Hearts really has a special place in my heart. It's the only game that has made me excited for the next sequel, so much that I practically die of waiting. If I can remember that far back, I think it was my sister who introduced the series to me. Now she gets annoyed if I talk about KH ever to her, lol, even though she was even more obsessed than I ever have been.
P.S, I'm really glad that you made it through that surgery. Your story made me feel guilty inside; I've never really had any surgery at all. I'm really lucky to have avoided breaking any bones or anything at this point. I'm sorry that such a horrible thing happened to you. No one deserves to live through that.

Xion_Z_Forgotten

Made me cry, seriously did, you poor thing...

my experience is definately not as bad as yours, I was a bully victim so, i got into video games and kh is by far the most significant.....

Raiinu K.D.

Awards
I've played all the games in the series, except for BBS, Coded, and the final mixes, and I have to admit, KH is really the video game that has influenced me the most. Most RPG's I've played I really like a lot, but KH has that kind of thing in it that makes you feel...how do I explain it? It just makes it different from the rest. Anyways, I started playing the series when I was like...eight? Kingdom Hearts is like my favorite story of all time (even though Nomura loves to retcon), including books, games, movies, etc. The gameplay, plot, design, and the characters really have let me make a connection to the series. This'll sound really corny, but Kingdom Hearts really has a special place in my heart. It's the only game that has made me excited for the next sequel, so much that I practically die of waiting. If I can remember that far back, I think it was my brother who introduced the series to me. Now he gets annoyed if I talk about KH ever to him, lol.

Changed the bolded parts so that every last word in that paragraph is exactly the same for me. xD We have a lot in common apparently~

Jakek9

My first KH game was a long time ago. I was probaly eight. I had just come back from my grandmothers house, and I had seen and wanted the "Disney Game" as I called it. My grandmother was becoming sicker and sicker. so my Dad bought me the game and told me my Grandmother bought it for me I belive. I was so happy. I lost the game. One year later, my grandmother died. And I was quickly swept into my own little sadness. I was so sad and grieved. I had been close to my grandmother. I re-found my KH game for the Gameboy, and played it. That was a good 4 years ago I had lost every gameboy game I had ever owned, except KH COM. Then my Family was doing great money wise, my life was perfect. Then my Cousin started getting more involved in my life and he tottally fucked it up. I was popular, and I couldn't even leave the damned house to go out with my GF or friends without him coming. He's a year younger. And he is crazy in every way. Always touching and asking for things, always wanting to do something instead of taking a five minute break. I eventually ignored him and started playing Video games more. That got him steamed. So He became my sisters best friend. He was finally off my back. One day, my mother just randomly asked if we wanted a PS2 game. I told my cousin to get KH1. He asked for it. I personally asked for KH2. Only played KH1 before when my parents used to work alot and I was babysat alot of the times. though it was rented. I started playing KH2 and couldn't stop, I quickly caught up to the story though I was quite confused at some things. I never beat COM. lol.

I later bough KH1 and beat it to understand the story. And I bought KH RE: COM when I was headed to Disney World.

And lately, my Family is havign a rough time. My brithday came up this year, and I had mentioned I wanted Kh2 FM. Though I kept quiet mostly about it because I didn't want my family spend all that money in their time of need.

And they had put huge effort into getting it. days has no special significance for me, like KH1. Maybe thats why i favor KH2.

BASICALY, KH is just a way to escape for me. Just like skateboarding or sports or arts. I just wanted to escape, and KH's Story and gameplay did exactly that. all the sadness washed away when I played games. But I was happier when I played KH.

Most all of them have a value to me in some way. Each game in the series is different though.

Your story sounds sad, and I'm glad you lived.
:)

Ophan

Airman
Awards
Website
zionphnx.deviantart.com
well i can't really say my post is entirely KH related, I will say that the reality of our lives can be quite the burden and sometimes it's just good to sit down and have an experience that escapes it. Whether it be art, games, music, we all have something to calm our nerves. When you're a kid you're given a world with a huge imagination, when you get older you're faced with realities. There's nothing corny about your comforts, we all just need the release from our own burdens in life, and alternatives such as the KH game is a great way to expand on that.

Just as a bonus, Kingdom Hearts was more of a breakthrough for me, although it wasn't the only game that did this, i sometimes wish that i could go back in time and gain that same impact i had when i first played it. No KH2, none of that, just the enjoyment of a simple Dark versus light game, with some Disney Magic. I think that another game that really gave me a great impact was Dragon Quest 8, you really can't breeze through them, but the comedy in the game is very light hearted, and easy on the mind.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back