• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

Anime/Manga ► Unpopular Anime Opinions!

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS

VoidGear.

red gay
Awards
Well theres always people who despise things. SAO is still pretty popular overall xD

catcake

eien no chikai
Awards
Well theres always people who despise things. SAO is still pretty popular overall xD

Yeah this. There's a big difference in whether something is popular among people who watch anime a lot, or at least have seen several series, and "casuals" who only know Naruto, SAO and stuff like that. Sure anyone who has ever seen more than one anime (and generally has at least some taste) can see how terrible SAO is in almost every way, but it's still very popular with kids and casuals, so to speak xD

VoidGear.

red gay
Awards
Sure anyone who has ever seen more than one anime (and generally has at least some taste) can see how terrible SAO is in almost every way

LOL. Yes, this. <3

I'm also not a big fan of anime series that go on for too long and have too many episodes. You might think that that's not unpopular, but regarding how many fans anime like Naruto, One Piece, Bleach, Dragonball and Inuyasha have...

Muke

whatever
Awards
- SAO sucks
- I really liked the ending of PMMM: Rebellion and thought it was a good movie overall
- DB > DBZ
- Dubs > Original (in most cases anyway)

And that's all I can think of for now.

BufferAqua

Bronze Member
Awards
I also didn't mind "The Great Divide" episode from Avatar: The Last Airbender. Sure, it was a very pointless filler, but I enjoyed the humor and it's ending.

Muke

whatever
Awards
Huh? Almost everyone I know who's into anime has said this at one point or another.
It's still generally liked though. And in the German Anime community it seems like everyones except for one or two like SAO, so I just based it off of that, really

Shinra

Banned
Awards
Yeah this. There's a big difference in whether something is popular among people who watch anime a lot, or at least have seen several series, and "casuals" who only know Naruto, SAO and stuff like that. Sure anyone who has ever seen more than one anime (and generally has at least some taste) can see how terrible SAO is in almost every way, but it's still very popular with kids and casuals, so to speak xD

Don't give me that... as a fan of all types of anime I give every anime I watch a fair chance and I can see the charms that modern anime have compared to classics like cowboy bebop and gundam wing... and Dare I say it... I actually liked SAO... SAO season 2 more than 1 sure... but man it's hard to walk in to a discussion about anime when everyone has their nostalgia blinding them... I loved dragon ball z just as much as the next anime fan but it does have it's flaws.

Grono

KH ☼ D&D ☼ Music ☼ Wack.
Awards
It's actually really nice seeing someone prefer Korra over Aang. More appreciation needed.

Aang is spiritually pure and all, yeah, but he's not very human. He's inhumanly kind and forgiving for the vast majority of the series, and while I agree he is a great character, Korra just brought a lot more to the role. She was spunky, had a short temper, frequently went off to do her own things, was beaten down, severely injured several times in the series (the episode Korra Alone is still the best episode in both series' in my opinion), and was, in turn, severely flawed. Do you remember how many episodes involved her losing a fight and needing Mako or Bolin to swoop in and save her? I lost count. Aang was the model for what an avatar should be; Korra was a window into what an avatar would be like if a person just like you or me got swept up into this mess and had to become a hero for everyone.

Aang is injured and beaten, sure (that lightning strike from Azula that declared his avatar state useless), but he's also a little kid, so, while he can relate to younger fans of the series' that want to be like him, Korra relates with the older fans, making me feel like I grew up along with the series and evolved as a person because of it. Aang is also very good at honing his spiritual energies throughout the series; something that didn't happen for Korra until season 3, if I'm correct (maybe season 2? I don't remember when we were introduced to Wan).

In short, Aang was just more at peace with himself, his greatest demon being how to avoid killing the firelord. Korra's greatest demon was the public and the stress of the job. Aang didn't question his role in saving the world as much as Korra did; Korra had to fight herself, the general public, and sometimes even her loved ones on whether or not she wanted to continue or if she even could continue being the avatar, and the last season ended with her only being 21 years old. She still has a lifetime to go, and she's probably not going to be able to stop being the avatar anytime soon. The world will always be infested with evil, and it's her responsibility to protect the balance no matter what.

Also, her romance was just so much better than the KatarAang relationship from the original series. Katara and Aang always felt a little bit like puppy love, and it seemed to be forced into the ending of the original series just to give the fans something else to feel "satisfied" with at the series' ending. It would be like if Harry Potter and Hermione Granger got married at the end of the seventh book; everything would just feel contrived and lacking the cleverness the pairing could have had if it was written a bit better. Korra and Asami's relationship felt genuine; since they were a little bit older, it felt more natural and real, and it was played subtly enough that the fans wouldn't have immediately jumped to the conclusion that either of them had feelings for the other. Part of that might have been good writing, and part of it might have been inherent homophobia within the Nickelodeon executive's office, and it was probably a mixture of the two, but, however the relationship ended up happening, it really, really worked. Korra and Asami are my favorite relationship out of anyone else in the avatar universe, and we've hardly seen anything about them!

Mako can go get f*cked though, lol xD

BufferAqua

Bronze Member
Awards
Aang is spiritually pure and all, yeah, but he's not very human. He's inhumanly kind and forgiving for the vast majority of the series, and while I agree he is a great character, Korra just brought a lot more to the role. She was spunky, had a short temper, frequently went off to do her own things, was beaten down, severely injured several times in the series (the episode Korra Alone is still the best episode in both series' in my opinion), and was, in turn, severely flawed. Do you remember how many episodes involved her losing a fight and needing Mako or Bolin to swoop in and save her? I lost count. Aang was the model for what an avatar should be; Korra was a window into what an avatar would be like if a person just like you or me got swept up into this mess and had to become a hero for everyone.

Aang is injured and beaten, sure (that lightning strike from Azula that declared his avatar state useless), but he's also a little kid, so, while he can relate to younger fans of the series' that want to be like him, Korra relates with the older fans, making me feel like I grew up along with the series and evolved as a person because of it. Aang is also very good at honing his spiritual energies throughout the series; something that didn't happen for Korra until season 3, if I'm correct (maybe season 2? I don't remember when we were introduced to Wan).

In short, Aang was just more at peace with himself, his greatest demon being how to avoid killing the firelord. Korra's greatest demon was the public and the stress of the job. Aang didn't question his role in saving the world as much as Korra did; Korra had to fight herself, the general public, and sometimes even her loved ones on whether or not she wanted to continue or if she even could continue being the avatar, and the last season ended with her only being 21 years old. She still has a lifetime to go, and she's probably not going to be able to stop being the avatar anytime soon. The world will always be infested with evil, and it's her responsibility to protect the balance no matter what.

Also, her romance was just so much better than the KatarAang relationship from the original series. Katara and Aang always felt a little bit like puppy love, and it seemed to be forced into the ending of the original series just to give the fans something else to feel "satisfied" with at the series' ending. It would be like if Harry Potter and Hermione Granger got married at the end of the seventh book; everything would just feel contrived and lacking the cleverness the pairing could have had if it was written a bit better. Korra and Asami's relationship felt genuine; since they were a little bit older, it felt more natural and real, and it was played subtly enough that the fans wouldn't have immediately jumped to the conclusion that either of them had feelings for the other. Part of that might have been good writing, and part of it might have been inherent homophobia within the Nickelodeon executive's office, and it was probably a mixture of the two, but, however the relationship ended up happening, it really, really worked. Korra and Asami are my favorite relationship out of anyone else in the avatar universe, and we've hardly seen anything about them!
I agree. It's sad, though. Korra is criticized for being a weak as hell Avatar who got her butt kicked on multiple occasions. I thought her hot-headedness and temper were her flaws, and flaws are what characters need. Not that Aang wasn't flawed, but I liked the execution of Korra's flaws, and how she grew from a moody teenager to a mature young woman.

Also, Korrasami is the bomb.

Mako can go get f*cked though, lol xD
dhMeAzK.gif

SoulXaldin

Awards
I absolutely hate harems. And the same applies for moe. And I hate the people who buy into that shizz so much that they are enamoured with it. :mad:

And I believe Avatar isn't an anime. Because it isn't.

Muke

whatever
Awards
I absolutely hate harems. And the same applies for moe. And I hate the people who buy into that shizz so much that they are enamoured with it. :mad:

It really is.
"'Anime'[FONT=noto_serif_devanagari]: Japanese, shortened from animēshon, based on English animation."

So 'anime' is an abbreviation for animation.
And don't come at me with "anime is a cartoon from Japan", please. [/FONT]

BufferAqua

Bronze Member
Awards
If you mean as to why it's talked about on this list, it's because I said cartoons can be discussed.

Also, some people identify cartoons as anime so... yeah.

Muke

whatever
Awards
While I don't like Korra over Aang, I really like her and don't really get the hate. She is a really good character who has many flaws (doesn't mean Aang didn't have any, but still) and isn't this Mary-Sue. Also, Korrasami ROCK(S). I loved when I found out they were a couple. It was so… unique, might I say. It was really fantastic (and don't get me wrong, I don't like them just for the sake of it and because they're lesbian or so). THIS IS NICKELODEON WE ARE TALKING ABOUT.

SoulXaldin

Awards
It really is.
"'Anime'[FONT=noto_serif_devanagari]: Japanese, shortened from animēshon, based on English animation."

So 'anime' is an abbreviation for animation.
And don't come at me with "anime is a cartoon from Japan", please. [/FONT]

Avatar is more so inspired by anime than it is an actual anime. If it's not from Japan bro, it's not anime. And yeah sure, anime is a short abbreviation of the word, but the term itself is and always will be more culturally associated with the waves of animation that comes from Japan and has origins in Japan. Avatar. IS. NOT. AN. ANIME. (sorry for the caps, just needed to emphasize my point. Please don't get mad :frown:)

Muke

whatever
Awards
Avatar is more so inspired by anime than it is an actual anime. If it's not from Japan bro, it's not anime. And yeah sure, anime is a short abbreviation of the word, but the term itself is and always will be more culturally associated with the waves of animation that comes from Japan and has origins in Japan. Avatar. IS. NOT. AN. ANIME. (sorry for the caps, just needed to emphasize my point. Please don't get mad :frown:)
Anyways, talking about that will get us nowhere and I doubt Buffer wants us to derail the thread. :p

- Watamote is great. Not sure if this is a really unpopular opinion, but I've mainly seen negative statements about the Anime, so.
- Not about a particular Anime, but: I cannot watch an Anime if the animation and/or art style looks bad to me. I just always see people say "oh, animation and art style doesn't matter as long as the story is good!" and it's like… why not make all of it good?

Ven_Roxas

Awards
Anime and cartoons in general? Hmmm I don't watch much anime (pretty much just digimon. Almost finished bleach and then just stopped even though I enjoyed it)

But... I think season 5 of digimon is tied for second best with season 1 (tamers will always be the best. I'm rewatching it now and still get the feels when Leomon dies).

Cartoons in general? I wish Kappa Mikey had a longer, more successful run. That show was great.

Back