• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

Under Spoken

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.

aswaxsora

Awards
Water.
It flows deeply,
Heavily.
Tears join to make the
Oceans.

No one senses our
Words.
No one notices we're here
Drowning
Because you could not save us.

Our tongues have been
Cut off roughly.
You say you'll dance with them
But we only bleed.

Once you die,
We laugh.
Happiness escapes us.
But the Water is still tears.

We found him
The Hero in every tale
The luck-child.
Yet here we wait
Waiting for someone to come again
Only to be killed from our under spoken words

If only you realized my love for you.

---

Not again. *Faceplam* This always happens. Please, give me your ideas on what this means to you. I have no idea what I just wrote.

Last edited:

LongLiveLife

Bronze Member
Hello there! This poem was such a lovely read, I thought I'd let you know. I love the story, the themes and the way it is written. Shall we get on to specifics?

Water.
It flows deeply
Heavily
Tears join to make the
Oceans.

The first stanza really was the hook for me; had it not been so well written, I would have most likely swept the rest of the poem aside. I especially love the impact created by the end-line period after 'Water'. It really draws emphasis to this central symbol you refer to time and time again in the poem, and I like the way you have done it. I also think that the diction you use here -- 'flows', 'tears' and 'Oceans' -- does wonders with evoking images of water in the reader's mind. Great job!

How you could improve the clarity of the stanza is by adding punctuation. I definitely think 'Heavily' is in desperate need of a period, or a semicolon, at the least, and 'deeply' could use a coma after it.

No one senses our
Words.
Drowning

The second stanza introduces the persona, which I believe is a good thing to do early on in the poem. I like the emphasis you place on "Words" and "Drowning" by making them single word lines. Repetition of 'No one' in subsequent sentences ties the two ideas together -- that not sensing the words is somehow related to the drowning.

Our tongues have been
Cut off roughly.
But we only bleed.

In this stanza, you bring in the image of cut tongues, which ties in with the un-sensed words from the previous stanza. I like how you continue the accusing tone from the second stanza in this stanza by using the second person. I also notice a kind of pattern in the lines -- they alternate in the images presented: first pleasant, then not. The image of blood here is brilliant, and the contrast between it and the dancing antagonist also captures the reader's attention.

Once you die
We laugh.
Happiness escapes us.

Oh my, the tone has suddenly changed in this stanza indeed. The protagonist, who you portrayed as a victim in the past two stanzas, now takes pleasure in the death of the antagonist. I think this may be a breakaway from the character and may throw readers off. Also, I believe you could use a coma after 'die'.

That said, there are still elements in this stanza that I really enjoyed. The very last line was my utmost favorite in the poem -- it ties in to the concepts introduced in the first stanza, and gives the poem a sense of poignant sadness.

We found him
The Hero in every tale
The luck-child.
Yet here we wait
Only to be killed form our under spoken words

I liked the penultimate stanza of the poem, but I feel the final stanza / line is out of place. The poem did not read as a love poem in the slightest, and the ending line really throws me off. I suppose it could be construed as a love-hate relationship of sorts, but I doubt if that were the case, that the protagonist would be happy about the death of the antagonist. (I now question my word choice, seeing as the persona loves the character.) Also, I believe you should add comas to the first two lines above, and that in the final line of the penultimate stanza that you mean 'from' instead of 'form'!

What I really liked about the ending lines was the phrase you coined: 'under spoken words'. The unusual expression really draws attention to the underlying ideas, and makes the reader realize the significance of the title.

Overall, you do well with introducing ideas and maintaining them throughout, but I believe a touch up on punctuation would be to your best interests. The title, in my opinion, should have been something related to with water, seeing as how it is the predominant metaphor you refer to.

Your poetry is really interesting, and I hope to read more soon. Keep writing!

aswaxsora

Awards
:D I'm glad someone read it and liked it. I also fixed my mistakes.
Yeah, I was influenced by a lot of stuff and it just poured out of me. I'll try explaining:

Water.
It flows deeply,
Heavily.
Tears join to make the
Oceans.

In a lot of my poems, tears, water and oceans (and other bodies of water) are all one and the same. Weird concept I use often.

No one senses our
Words.
Drowning

Mermaid thing here. There's this other poem about mermaid that I wrote and they are always sad. Another common theme you could say.

Our tongues have been
Cut off roughly.
But we only bleed.
Little Mermaid reference. The sea witch cuts off the Little Mermaid's tongue and her feet will bleed anytime she dances (or feels like it).

Once you die,
We laugh.
Happiness escapes us.
No idea where this came from. Interesting, though right?

We found him
The Hero in every tale
The luck-child.
Yet here we wait
Only to be killed from our under spoken words

Hero's in stories, things we hear all the time. Luck-Child is from 'The Devil With Three Golden Hairs'. We're waiting because true love and heroes never seem to be in this world.

I'm in love with the Luck-Child and someone who is like the Luck-Child.

...Did I just explain the poem? Holy crap, my brain(subconscious) was nice to me for once. It's let me understand something.

Last edited:

LongLiveLife

Bronze Member
:D I'm glad someone read it and liked it. I also fixed my mistakes.

I wouldn't go so far as to call them mistakes; more like less successful artistic choices.

:In a lot of my poems, tears, water and oceans (and other bodies of water) are all one and the same. Weird concept I use often.

I quite like the image, and it is not weird in the slightest.

Mermaid thing here. There's this other poem about mermaid that I wrote and they are always sad. Another common theme you could say.

Little Mermaid reference. The sea witch cuts off the Little Mermaid's tongue and her feet will bleed anytime she dances (or feels like it).

I totally did not get that at all. But, now, I totally see it. Real clever!

And I'm sure you actually understood your poem to begin with. ;)

aswaxsora

Awards
*laughs* Haha, not first, no. I didn't get it. Half the stuff I write I don't know what's it's about 'til the end.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back