• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

UN Sanctioned Attack on Libya (As Reported by MSNBC)

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.

Dogenzaka

PLATINUM USERNAME WINS
Awards
Killing is easy once you forget the taste of sugar
I think I might just be the last person on earth who genuinely just does not give a shit anymore.

I don't give much of a shit either, so join the club (thanks to my Christian beliefs and the whole "hey they world is going to the shitter but I'm not going to have to deal with it in the end so 'yay' thing).

Wait, what's a 'Libya?"

Is it a fruit?

The outer lip of a vagina.

Orion

Prepared To Die
Awards
BA_DUM_TSSS_by_LobsterRockefeller.jpg

Awards
(thanks to my Christian beliefs and the whole "hey they world is going to the shitter but I'm not going to have to deal with it in the end so 'yay' thing).

I've never felt more compelled to convert to Christianity than I have as I read this sentence.

O

Oberon

He sounds like he wants to be Hitler.

Let the man die already.

I'm surprised nobody within his office has tried to kill him yet.
Of course, if history is any indication (not counting Hitler), he is actually probably trying to do something good for his people; but the UN never supports a country trying to utilize its own resources, so this comes as no surprise to me.

O

Oberon

Are my eyes deceiving me, or are people in this thread actually defending a dictator?
Well you're not speaking directly to me, but in case your statement encompasses me, dictatorship is pretty stupid imo.

Alaude Drenxta

\+The Devil's+/ .{Advocate}.
May not be defending him personally, but I'd certainly not defend the UN council's right to institute its own rules and policies on other countries. We didn't like it when the British we going to become involved in our civil war, I'm sure the Libyans feel similar.

Kazuma

For the Real not the Fake
Website
kazu52.deviantart.com
This is not the place to post that. You're probably thinking of Mubarak.

Outside of his anti-communist position, the US has never supported Gaddafi. Within ten years of his leadership, we actively opposed him, and eventually tried killing him under the Reagan administration.
Yeah I know the U.S never supported Gaddafi, and doing some research yesterday I found out about old Operation El Dorado Canyon. But I just find it funny my country supports some countries knowing they have a dictatorship or repressive regimes.

Alaude Drenxta

We don't support them, we tolerate them, and attempt to continue the effort for world peace, regardless of ideological differences.

I'd say that is pretty respectable. It's well beyond arrogant to assert, using military force, that your choice of governmental representation is the only right and legitimate one.

Johnny Stooge

Hawkguy
Awards
Twitter / Nick Spencer: Only in the States could t ... - I felt this was pretty apt.

May not be defending him personally, but I'd certainly not defend the UN council's right to institute its own rules and policies on other countries. We didn't like it when the British we going to become involved in our civil war, I'm sure the Libyans feel similar.
You talk of the UN as if it's some independent body. The Security Council is made up of ambassadors from 15 countries. 10 of those countries voted in favour for the military action. The rebel forces in Libya do not have anywhere near the weaponry that Gaddafi does and from all the reports I've see, the rebels are very happy that the US, Britain and France are implementing a No-Fly Zone to help level the playing field.

We don't support them, we tolerate them, and attempt to continue the effort for world peace, regardless of ideological differences.

I'd say that is pretty respectable. It's well beyond arrogant to assert, using military force, that your choice of governmental representation is the only right and legitimate one.
I disagree. This isn't about asserting control over a country at all. These people want a revolution and they're incapable of doing it on their own. As world leaders I would say we owe them a responsibility to assist them and provide them with the facilities to install a new government by the Libyan people, for the Libyan people.

Alaude Drenxta

Wouldn't that be more apt for the countries that AREN'T helping out here?
>>

I disagree. This isn't about asserting control over a country at all. These people want a revolution and they're incapable of doing it on their own. As world leaders I would say we owe them a responsibility to assist them and provide them with the facilities to install a new government by the Libyan people, for the Libyan people.
You do realize that the revolutionaries in Libya are actually only a fraction of the population, right? This isn't even near the same scale as Egypt, this is a group of rebels attempting to overthrow an established government. As much as that destroys the big ideals and talk of what is occurring there, this is truly all it is. We are aiding the overthrow of a governmental structure, and inviting chaos to follow as these rebels have no real chain of command, and as far as they have shown publicly, no real idea what the next step is if they do manage to take him down.

We certainly don't need another Iraq.

Phoenix

Legendary Member
Awards
You do realize that the revolutionaries in Libya are actually only a fraction of the population, right? This isn't even near the same scale as Egypt, this is a group of rebels attempting to overthrow an established government. As much as that destroys the big ideals and talk of what is occurring there, this is truly all it is. We are aiding the overthrow of a governmental structure, and inviting chaos to follow as these rebels have no real chain of command, and as far as they have shown publicly, no real idea what the next step is if they do manage to take him down.

Fear of the unknown is no reason to allow a madman to purge an entire city.

Awards

Uh, I'm sorry, but when you just start finishing one controversial war that many regarded as "not worth it" and continue another that has lasted for ten years with expenditures of $10 billion per month (with withdrawals not to be completed until 2014), I think it's understandable that the public isn't rallying behind practically any war.

SilentTrinity

Master of the ECKKK
To be honest imo i agree that we shouldn't deal with the affairs of foreign countries, but the matter of the fact is that we do because of the fact that there are resources as someone else mentioned earlier. The entire thing was decided by politicians who most likely have never seen war on a first hand basis.

Then there is the fact that what would happen now if we decided "eh screw this we out!" and get out right now? Sure maybe the rebellion might get destroyed by the Libyan dictator, but because of what we did, wouldn't he decide that our actions were a deceleration of war in his opinion? Gadfi or however you spell it stated that if we involved ourselves in the countries affairs that he would promise a long and bloody war.

The entire situation is based on the few facts that we know:
1) The leader is fing crazy killing peaceful protesters, with hired guns during the beginning of this whole mess.
2) Libya is a major distributor of oil in Europe, meaning if he decides to cut off trade with Europe, oil and gas will skyrocket even more.
3) The US tends to get into other counties affairs due to political reasons.

Alaude Drenxta

Not to mention Iraq is MUCH more justifiable than Libya, which is why we aren't actually going to war here. It's easy to be an idealist, but those in power have to be realists, by necessity.

Phoenix

Legendary Member
Awards
And self-imposed ideology is no reason to invade and assault a country.

That wasn't the reason. The reason was that the rebels were begging for help in Benghazi, a city with a million people. A city Gaddafi had promised to purge.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back