• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

Fanfiction ► Three Dimensional: A Character Building Workshop

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.

giuocob

I've been on this forum for a while now. Not as long as some of you old geezers, but long enough to understand most of the work that gets posted here. Most of it really is the same. Let's say that the average poster Sam writes a fanfiction and posts it up on the forum. Here is my critique of average poster Sam:

Sam has an excellent grasp of grammar, though it is often used sloppily. His creativity shines through in an interesting and somewhat complex plot, supplemented by a romance or two. However, Sam pays absolutely no attention to the strength of his characters.

CHARACTERS. This is what holds almost everyone on this forum back from breaking free of the mediocre zone. The characters are used as a vehicle for whatever the plot commands of them, nothing more. They have no...if you will...character. Ladies and gentlemen, it's time for a change. Welcome to the character building workshop!

...Well, it's actually going to be more of a guide at the end. But there's really far too much to say on the subject of building characters to put in a single post, and throwing all that out at once would ensure that nobody took the time to read it all. So I'm breaking it up into several bite size chunks for you guys.

And oh yeah...there'll be homework. I totally, absolutely do NOT expect anybody to actually do it, but I'm putting it out there for the people who want practice with building characters. Most of the stuff won't take any more than ten minutes, and I'll critique anybody who shows it to me.

So here's the game plan, which is subject to change if/when I remember something important.
Lesson 1: What makes a good character
Lesson 2: Character Analysis
Lesson 3: How to construct a character
Lesson 4: How to develop a character

These will be posted as often as I write them, perhaps once a week or so. Lesson 1 will more than likely be up later today, as it's going to be very short.

Lastly, I want to hold a signup. In reality, this means nothing. You can stop reading this whenever you like and not say a word to me, and you can pick it up and even do the assignments without signing up. But it gives me a general idea of how many people are interested in it.

ROSTER
aldrain
Shadow Denizen
Takushi Rena
Frozen Fate
-Arcana-X-
1-up salesman
Jack London
kazukifafner

Last edited:

Nutari

The Scotsman
Awards
DUDE I AM SO IN!!!!!!!!!! AND can you read my fan story and see how it is its the re done 358/2 days fanstory theory i re did them cuz people wanted it in the same thread so ill take the class by the way.:eek:_O:

Essence of Elegy

How long shall you delve into time?
Awards
I fill out character sheets, but some more tips would be great. I'll be checking in again.

Enemy

When making a character, just fill in a template:

Name:
Personality:
Bio:
Etc:

It's not that hard. =\

Enemy

Nope, it really is that simple. People just like to complicate the matter. Character advancement is more of an evolution than anything. Like building a tower. We start with the basic foundations, then we expand upon them.

giuocob

Nope, it really is that simple. People just like to complicate the matter. Character advancement is more of an evolution than anything. Like building a tower. We start with the basic foundations, then we expand upon them.

Certainly. And 'character advancement', if I'm interpreting it correctly, will be one of the main points of this guide.

Nyangoro

Break the Spell
Awards
I'd love to sign up! I have a feeling that this is one of my weak points, and I'm always looking for ways to improve.

Danica Syer

Trivia: Love ღ
Question: So if we are signing up does that mean we're helping with the character building thing or we doing the homework portion or just in general, signing up? I mean I get it but it's kind of fuzzy. I would join but I'm just wondering at the moment.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back