• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

The Secret Door

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.

Lone

The Lone Wolf
Awards
I have never done this before but I had a great idea and I wanted to share it so here it is.

The Secret Door

The old house that sat before him looked as if it could get up and walk away. This large three story house that stood on a large piece of property loomed over Jake and Judy. Jake had moved from his home in Raleigh, North Carolina. Now with his sister and father he was now in the foot hills of Asheville. His father had found the house through a real state agency and had gotten a good deal off it. He left his friends and school behind to come live in a house that was barely livable. His father had gotten it on a good deal because it was run down and need to be fixed up. Jakes father was moving boxes from the van and putting them into the front room.

Jake walked into the large front room to see a set of stairs that lead up to a second story landing. On each wall next to the stairs where two large double doors, one lead to a living room and another to an office type area. In the middle off the two stairs was a hallway that lead to the kitchen and the back patio. Jake began to walk up the stairs to the second landing, the hallway spread from one side to the other. Four doors stood in the hallway, two on the wall to his right and two over each of the rooms down stairs. A little ways down the hall stood a door that he guessed lead to the attic. When Jake tried to open it it would not budge. Jake walked to the landing and called down to his father, “Dad do you have the skeleton key on you.” Jake asked. Jakes father reached into his pocket and pulled out a rather large key with the head looking like a large clover. Jakes father then threw it into the air towards Jake. Jake of course being great at baseball caught the ball no problem, even if it meant hanging off the railing.

Jake pulled him self back up and made his way back towards the door. Jake slid in the key and turned it, there was a slight clicking noise, but5 when he tried the handle it wouldn’t budge. After a few tries Jake finally gave up with an upset look on his face. Making his way back down the hall he picked a room and decided to go in. Using the skeleton key again he opened the door with ease. Jake stepped inside, the room was rather large. Scattered around the room where boxes as well as furniture covered in cloth and all very dusty. In one corner of the room stood a large queen sized four poster bed. The bed was draped in silky sapphire blue sheets and looked as though it was just brand new. Next to it stood a rather large wooden night stand that looked more like a desk. But when Jake turned to his right a large wooden desk stood looking rather old. A couch stood across the room from the desk. It was also a blue color and looked as though it had been there for many years. A reading lamp stood next to the couch and was covered in dust so much that when Jake wiped a bit off it went from the color gray to an off version of green. The floor was carpeted in a grass green color, and the walls where a emerald green color. On the back wall was a window that overlooked the patio and backyard. When Jake looked out the window and down towards the patio he could see his sister standing at the edge of the pavement looking out at the backyard.

Judy watched as her brother went into a room on the second floor “That will probably be his room since he found it first.” she thought in her head. Her father pushed passed her and into the kitchen with a box marked ‘Dishes’. Judy followed her father into the over large kitchen. On the other wall was a whole line of cabinets and countertops. In the middle of these things stood a door. Judy walked up and pulled at the handle the door opened with a loud squeak that made her father turn around real quick from what he was doing causing him to break several plates. Judy gave a quick smile and headed into the room, Judy reached for a light switch. When the light came on two doors stood next to her on either side.

Judy first went to the one on her left. Flipping on the switch on the outside she slowly opened the door and went in. As soon as she set foot in side the doorway she let out a gasp. This was the largest fridge she had ever been in, it was about the size of her bedroom at her old house which by her standards wasn’t much. All the shelves where empty and on the far back end was a row of hooks across the ceiling. It didn’t take her long to figure out that they where used to hang meat. Quickly backing out of the fridge she made her way to the other door. Again flipping on the switch she opened the door. Inside was a room much smaller than the last but still large enough for her to walk into and spin around with her arms out, which incidentally she did. The shelves where lined with bottles and cans of fruits and veggies, as well as boxes of everything under the sun in them. On the back wall where a few clothe bags full of rice and a few wooden boxes with cooking supplies in them. Judy Left the room and turned off the light. Then left the main room and shut the door.

Her father was just leaving the room when he suggested taking a look out back. Judy headed out the door onto the back patio. The patio was made out of cement and was lavished with a table with chairs enough to sit ten. A large table umbrella sat a few feet from the edge of the patio. A few potted plants lined the wall against the house, all looking dehydrated. A stone walkway lead to a fountain that stood in front of a large oak tree then split off in two different directions. One lead to a couple of stone benches with a stone table between them. The other path lead to a small but walk-in greenhouse. The tree and fountain stood in the middle of the garden. Judy looked around the tree from where she stood and saw a hill sloping upwards towards a small group of trees and behind that a tree line not an acre away from that. Judy turned around towards the door and saw her father standing in the doorway. “How much of the property is ours.” she asked. “Well to the tree line up on the hill, we now own 10 acres.” her father said with a smile. “Come on and help me fetch your brother so we can finish unloading the van.” said her father heading back into the house with Judy not more than a second behind.​

Last edited:

Optimus Rhyme

Better than Ken at LoL
Overall, I think it's pretty good. Is this going to be multiple chapters, or just this one passage?

If it's just this one passage, I'm not exactly sure which door is the 'Secret Door'. Is it the one that Jake opened, or the one Judy did?

Also, there are a few things here and there that I noticed.

The old house that sat before him looked as if it could get up and walk away. This large three story house that stood on a large piece of property loomed over Jake and Judy. Jake had moved from his home in Raleigh, North Carolina. Now with his sister and father he was now in the foot hills of Asheville. His father had found the house through a real state agency and had gotten a good deal off it. He left his friends and school behind to come live in a house that was barely livable. His father had gotten it on a good deal because it was run down and need to be fixed up. Jakes father was moving boxes from the van and putting them into the front room.

These sentences are a little bit redundant. You stated twice that the father had gotten a good deal on the house, which is a bit unnecessary. What you could say instead -just a suggestion- would be:

"Because the house was old and run down, a lot of work needeed to be put into it to fix it up. His father was able to get a good deal on the house, because it was believed to be a low quality house."

Jake walked into the large front room to see a set of stairs that lead up to a second story landing. On each wall next to the stairs where two large double doors, one lead to a living room and another to an office type area. In the middle off the two stairs was a hallway that lead to the kitchen and the back patio. Jake began to walk up the stairs to the second landing, the hallway spread from one side to the other. Four doors stood in the hallway, two on the wall to his right and two over each of the rooms down stairs. A little ways down the hall stood a door that he guessed lead to the attic. When Jake tried to open it it would not budge. Jake walked to the landing and called down to his father, “Dad do you have the skeleton key on you.” Jake asked. Jakes father reached into his pocket and pulled out a rather large key with the head looking like a large clover. Jakes father then threw it into the air towards Jake. Jake of course being great at baseball caught the ball no problem, even if it meant hanging off the railing.

Just a few gramatical errors here:

-Because Jake asked a question, the quotation marks should end with a question mark '?'.
-Because it is Jake's father, you need the apostraphe, showing ownership, I think is the reason.
-There should be commas here: "Jake, of course, being great at baseball,"

Judy watched as her brother went into a room on the second floor “That will probably be his room since he found it first.” she thought in her head. Her father pushed passed her and into the kitchen with a box marked ‘Dishes’. Judy followed her father into the over large kitchen. On the other wall was a whole line of cabinets and countertops. In the middle of these things stood a door. Judy walked up and pulled at the handle the door opened with a loud squeak that made her father turn around real quick from what he was doing causing him to break several plates. Judy gave a quick smile and headed into the room, Judy reached for a light switch. When the light came on two doors stood next to her on either side.

Imo, the "in her head" part isn't needed, because there isn't really anywhere else you can think.

Her father was just leaving the room when he suggested taking a look out back. Judy headed out the door onto the back patio. The patio was made out of cement and was lavished with a table with chairs enough to sit ten. A large table umbrella sat a few feet from the edge of the patio. A few potted plants lined the wall against the house, all looking dehydrated. A stone walkway lead to a fountain that stood in front of a large oak tree then split off in two different directions. One lead to a couple of stone benches with a stone table between them. The other path lead to a small but walk-in greenhouse. The tree and fountain stood in the middle of the garden. Judy looked around the tree from where she stood and saw a hill sloping upwards towards a small group of trees and behind that a tree line not an acre away from that. Judy turned around towards the door and saw her father standing in the doorway. “How much of the property is ours.” she asked. “Well to the tree line up on the hill, we now own 10 acres.” her father said with a smile. “Come on and help me fetch your brother so we can finish unloading the van.” said her father heading back into the house with Judy not more than a second behind.

Again, should be a question mark here.

Lone

The Lone Wolf
Awards
Next installment.

Jake, Judy, and there father where just sitting down to dinner after as few hours of getting boxes put away from the move. Jake looked down at his beef fried rice, then over at Judy's chicken chow mein and thought "Maybe i should have gotten that instead.""Well now I think this was a very productive day, huh." Jakes father said through a mouthful of rice. Jake swallowed his food down. "Yeah I guess you can say that. We did get a nice tour of the house, well except the attic which I can't get to open." said Jake looking tired. "Don't worry I will look into it tomorrow." said his father. Judy was awfully quite, not really responding to anything either of them where saying. "Hey Judy are you ok." asked Jake looking concerned. "Im fine, I just keep getting a weird feeling from this house." said Judy looking up towards the ceiling with a scared look on her face. Jake hadn't thought about tit before but he noticed that Judy had picked the room farthest from the attic door. "Well im going to head off to bed, I don't want you two staying up to late. We have a big day ahead of us tomorrow and I need your help as much as possible." said Jakes dad as he got up from the table. Jake and Judy both got and headed for the back door. They had heard from a relative that you could see the night sky really well up in the mountains. When they had gotten outside both headed for the benches. They both sat down and looked up. The stars looked beautiful. Judy was staring hard up at the sky, but jake had his attention on something else. "Hey Judy look at the attic window." he said nudging his sister. Judy looked down and then looked really scared. The light was on in the attic. "Maybe dad was able to get the door open." said Jake. Judy pointed with a shaky finger towards the second floor window on the right side of the house. A litght was on in the window and the shadow of their father on the wall could be seen moving around. Jake quickly looked back up at the attic window then back again several times before he really got creeped out. Suddenly the light in the attic went off. Jake looked up in horror as he saw a figure pass by the window. Both Jake and Judy got up from their spot and rushed into the house. Jake headed for the attic door and jiggled the handle it was still locked, and the door didn't look like it had been opened. Jake watched Judy head for her room and close the door behind her. A click could be heard as she locked her door. Jake went into his room and got ready for bed. He thought it would take him forever to fall asleep but as soon as his head hit the pillow he was out like a light.​

I will finish this later.

Last edited:

Annoyance

Silver Member
Awards
Website
twitter.com
It's been 3 days... Normally I'd allow it if you had an update or it's going to the 2nd or 3rd pages...

But 3 days isn't really enough for me to believe that the thread is going to die.

Lone

The Lone Wolf
Awards
Well I wasnt doing it for the fact of trying to revive it i was doing it in the fact that i had posted up something new and that i needed people to see that i had.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back