• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

The Media and Eating Disorders

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.

Thor.

Do Our Best
Awards
This is a big theme anytime Barbie gets a boost in sales or anytime a mother looks at a fashion magazine. The media and how if effects young girls. Apparently the Olsens make them want to vomit. Aside from general discussion on the subject here are a few points to consider.

~ Can we really blame the Media?

~Does this happen to young males as well?

~Can and should measures be taken?

Orion

Prepared To Die
Awards
Mostly, yes, and maybe. In that order.

Aucune Raison

DARLING SO THERE YOU ARE
The media further increases it, but there has always been a sense of pressure in terms of physical appearance. With the media the way it is now, girls are pressured sooner.

Obviously there is also pressure on males.

I don't see what can be done about it, there will always be skinny female celebrities. Parents just need to talk about it more so they don't give into it. Easier said than done, I suppose. Certainly schools can't do jack shit about it.

Ahi Mahi Ono

I think people are just stupid if they want to look like crackheads... But that's just me.

Sure I'd like a six-pack and stuff, but I'm not gonna kill myself to get it. The thing about people is that they want the results NOW instead of half a year to a year down the road. I have a friend who drinks ridiculous amounts of protein, and it's turning to flab because he's not working out to match the amount of Protein he's taking. He's resulted to steroids and fasting for weeks at a time. I personally think he's an idiot and I've told him so.

If you're not smart enough to know that bone-thin isn't healthy, you shouldn't be watching TV... you should be in school or reading a book.

People are just stupid.

Thor.

Do Our Best
Awards
I've always felt that, while the goddess-like impression young girls have of celebrities these days is a factor in the self-esteem issues that cause eating disorders, highschool is just as, if not more, responsible for it. Those celebrities aren't actually watching these girls from day to day. It's the sick fucks that attend highschool that are responsible if you ask me.

K

Kegluneq

I believe we can blame the media, we can also blame the internets. :35:

Yes, I believe it has been shown on TV with a male once. This person used to be a trainer or something, then went all bulimic. Apparently awkward eating patterns are a symptom of sexual abuse.

Yes, I believe that a feelings-O-Meter should be installed and run before a script is read on TV. No seriously though the media should just respect peoples privacy and not be as judgmental of everyone.

Rix

:)
Awards
Yeah, media has a lot to do with it. Just look at how they are calling a celeb fat just because she/he has gained some weight. Like jessica Simpson. And usually, they are not fat at all. They look normal!
Yeah, I believe it does, but it's more usual among girl.
I don't know

Finland

Banshee Queen
Awards
Media has a strong effect on people. That's why, in my opinion, most of the eating disorders are caused by the media.

There is no doubt that males have the same problems, too. It's just more usual among the females.

Measures should be taken, but I'm not sure if they can be taken. There is lots of ignorance in the world nowadays.

~Sacred Fox~

I'll get back to you when I figure it out..
Of course. The media targets on fat or too thin celebrities and continually bash them. This can lower a person's self-esteem and may lead them to eating disorders.

This affects both genders but it tends to happen to females more often.

I think some measures should be taken but they probably might be ignored. But people should learn to be more contented with their bodies. They should like themselves for who they are than trying to look/be like someone else.

Antiquity

Put on your courage and fly
Awards
This is a big theme anytime Barbie gets a boost in sales or anytime a mother looks at a fashion magazine. The media and how if effects young girls. Apparently the Olsens make them want to vomit. Aside from general discussion on the subject here are a few points to consider.

Yes, the media kind of extends it, talking about when somebody's got a slimmer body.
Yep. It's not just girls, but also boys and some at a young age.
Some measures should be taken. Don't show a celebrity so much every time they lose weight or is incredibly skinny. Still the high school stuff would interfere and that could stop things from getting done.

Thor.

Do Our Best
Awards
Personally I've always thought that blaming the media is just an excuse for the failure of society as a whole.

K

Kegluneq

Personally I've always thought that blaming the media is just an excuse for the failure of society as a whole.

I wouldn't say that, with society the way it is I think the media is a mistake of society, run by inconsiderate jack*sses.

madammina

Notorious White Mage Captainess
Some measures are being taken, all walkway models in some of the fashion shows MUST have some fat on them (theres a percentage but I forget what it is.)

Yes, it is the media's fault, amplified by peer pressure

yes, it happens to boys too

And to rectify: more episodes on TV with eating disorders and show how it effects their life (more than just one episode) and put a mandatory body fat ratio in media.

There was an episode of a old show called "Doug" Where the main girl became anorexic. She did it because she thought it would make it faster, but the outcome was the same, she ended up collapsing at a track meet, her teacher yelled at her coach, and before the title cards a card came up (with the character reading it) about eating disorders and who you can go to for help. A fairly serious episode for that kind of show and its stuck with me. There needs to be a few more episodes like that going around. Doug isn't shown anymore.

Aqua13

麿 恋仲 麿DYING OF EMBARRA

hmm...i think the media has some part in it, though i cant see how a star vomits and kids following. sounds strange .

males have done it as well. those who have been picked for there wait

i think there are some measures like commercials about how bad bulimic and anorexic is. and they should

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back