• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

The identity of "darkness"

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Yet another brow-beater we've been banging our heads against for months on end. But when looking at the facts, I believe I've cracked it. So, let's go......

From his speaking of both the events of KH Union x as well as from the current day, it's pretty clear that Darkness is also a time-traveler. That right there narrows our list down considerably. He has to be someone who had his body cast aside, like Ansem SOD. He also has to be someone with a past version of himself waiting at the destination. Those two facts lower the number of candidates down to ones you could count with one hand. The next reasons would give it away, so I'll jump ahead to my choice now......

Vanitus.

When MX extracted Vanitus from Ventus, the body stayed with Ven. The process may have been different, but Vanitus was essentially a Heartless-type being at that point (as evinced by the very similar Heartless-style emblem on his chest. Could just be a design choice for his muscles, but the similarity is there nonetheless). Or rather, a being of pure darkness that had left its body behind that was strong enough to maintain its sense of self. So, he meets the first requirement for time travel. And as we all know, Ventus did exist during the time of the Keyblade War. So, he meets the second criteria. But what else is there?

Well, we can pretty safely rule out the others who also existed in both times (Stella, Lauriam, etc.). Because unless Nomura completely pulled the wool over our eyes, none of them were able to keep their forms as Heartless, only as Nobodies. That pretty much hammers it down to just Ventus/Vanitus right there imo. But there's more.

When Darkness spoke to Malificent, he spoke of the Keyblade War, of the aftermath, and the reconstructed worlds of data. Of all the people from that time period, only the current Foretellers would possess that knowledge. Ping!, another hit for Ventus!

Darkness also spoke of what was told to Malificent by MX leading up to the events of BBS. We all know MX doesn't tell anybody diddly-squat, so for someone to know of these things and yet not be MX (because he didn't exist back then) it could only be someone who was there to have witnessed it for themselves. I.E. the one person who was with MX at that time. Ping!, another hit for Vanitus!

And even better, the fact he called himself "Darkness". Vanitus said the exact same thing when beaten by Sora and co., clear as day, twice.

"Because I am darkness."

"What I am is darkness"

Ping! Ping!

Honestly, looking at all this, it's a wonder I didn't put this together before, since Nomura seems to be beating us over the head with the fact that Darkness is Ventus/Vanitus, simply via process of elimination. And no, he's not the Master of Masters, because Darkness calls him "the Master". Kinda makes you wonder that, if true, what else did Vanitus get up to during his trip to the past? Maybeeee kill one of the Foretellers and give her stuff to a too-trusting Ventus so he could become a part of their inner circle, not knowing that someone died to put him there and that he himself is the traitor........OMG!!!! :eek: (brain explodes!)

Genocide

All you need to know.
Awards
I think your reasonings are sound, but it's too on the nose.

But then again, Ventus seems too innocent to be innocent; especially considering how long he's been alive. That darkness would build up. I see your logic (and I kinda want him to be), but I don't think Vanitas is Darkness. It's outside of Nomura's style.

Genocide

All you need to know.
Awards
It makes me lol that "too obvious" is a valid reason as to why something couldn't be true. Outside of KH, I'd be laughed at. Wouldn't hold up in a court of law. In universe? Reason enough to doubt the canonocity of an entire game.

Alpha Baymax

On a scale of α to ζ.
Awards
Vanitas being Darkness could make sense.

Granted, it may be a retcon of sorts of the character, but considering the fact that Sora is the personification of light in the franchise, Vanitas being a personification for darkness is something I can see happening.

Kimmy1980

Awards
I really, really want to like this theory and totally on board with Vanitas being the identity of darkness. He quotes it himself in KH3.

When Vanitas was born in BBS, at that time Sora wasn't connected to Ventus at that point in time, so he's not connected to a body. I believe Vanitas could be similar to Ansem SOD (or brown cloak), kept a piece of himself intact, and like Ansem SOD traveled through time. If Ventus was from originally Daybreak Town, Vanitas should be able to travel there by time travel or worldline.

Darkness also makes an appearance at the end of Chi talking to real Malificent in the data world. That is Vanitas talking I believe, not Ava. If this is indeed Vanitas, he needs TO ensure he is born in the future. He is the one to pull the switcheroo, kills Strelitizia and recruits Ventus in her place. (Ventus at this point is a full complete person not yet split, although I wonder if he is somewhat aware of Vanitas's presence since Vanitas is a part of him.) Therefore Ventus, is the new union leader who was NOT chosen by the Master of Masters/Ava. He needs to make sure Ventus is chosen as one of the union leaders, be pulled into the new worldline, have his memories wiped, meet Master Xehanort, and have Vanitas be born. Cycle complete, time loop keeps occurring.

The question to ask if this is Vanitas, are the darklings connected to him? He is originally the source of the unversed, what if going into the data world, his emotions changed into the shape of darklings?

Back