• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

Tetsuya Nomura Details Kingdom Hearts Dream Drop Distance Gameplay Systems

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.

pepe1092

Awards
Kingdom Hearts Dream Drop Distance appeared in playable form at the Tokyo Game Show with hardly anything known about its core gameplay. Those who played it might have already figured out the basics, but just to be sure Tetsuya Nomura appeared on the rarely updated Kingdom Hearts official Twitter with some details.

Nomura highlights three new gameplay systems:

Free Flow Action

These are the "flashy" actions Nomura has mentioned in the past. By pressing Y, you can make your character kick off walls, swing around poles, slide down rails, and so-forth. You can string together these actions. You can also connect into other moves -- pressing A or a powerful attack, or B for a jump.

Reality Shift

When you're attacking enemies, objects and enemies will sometimes be highlighted with a cursor. Press X and A simultaneously, and you can perform special attacks through the lower screen.

Dual Link

In DDD, you fight along side monsters known as "Dream Eaters." In the TGS demo, you start off with two of these in your party. As you build up a gauge, the Dream Eater's icon will begin to flash. Tap the icon on the lower screen, and you'll be able to do a team attack. You can also team up with both Dream Eaters simultaneously.

Source: http://andriasang.com/comy84/ and http://twitter.com/#!/_KINGDOMHEARTS

Last edited by a moderator:

Memory Master

Gold Member
Awards
So their demons of some sort? The Dream Eaters are some kind of demon?

Well here's hoping for the trailer to show up tonight at TGS.

speyeker

So it's confirmed that the bat thing and the cat thing are indeed Dream Eaters. Maybe we've misunderstood this all along, and Dream Eaters aren't actually the new enemy--just the race of these two guys. Maybe there is no new enemy, and we're just fighting Heartless as before.

Memory Master

Gold Member
Awards
Probably just a mistranslation.

I don't know, an ealier translation about that scan said that were goblins who consume dreams. I'm more likely to believe the Nomura translation though, but it's still up in the air I say.

So it's confirmed that the bat thing and the cat thing are indeed Dream Eaters. Maybe we've misunderstood this all along, and Dream Eaters aren't actually the new enemy--just the race of these two guys. Maybe there is no new enemy, and we're just fighting Heartless as before.

No way, those things Riku was fighting was not heartless that's for sure. I mean just look at the flying boss he had, that thing was definately no heartless.

Oracle Spockanort

written in the stars
Staff member
Awards
Website
twitter.com

Those things in the gameplay videos that were being fought were Dream Eaters. The question at hand is that is it true they are demons.

loke13

Waiting on FF XV and KH3 :D
Personally think people are taking the "demons" translation a bit to literal. The Heartless and Unversed could be said to be "demons" as well.

Oracle Spockanort

written in the stars
Staff member
Awards
Website
twitter.com
Yeah, but you never know...I know in a lot of translations Heartless and Nobodies are called monsters or demons, but it would be nice to know if they mean it in a literal sense or it is just general.

Relix

A traveler
Awards
Yeah I wouldn't take the term "demon" too seriously. Just another way of saying monster/goblin/evil creature imo

Key to Truth

Awards
I don't know, an ealier translation about that scan said that were goblins who consume dreams. I'm more likely to believe the Nomura translation though, but it's still up in the air I say.

It's not like Nomura himself translated it to english. And yes, they mistranslated the word 魔物 (Mamono) as demon/s when it just means "monster/s" or "evil beings".

Mirby

Too many games too little time
Awards
Website
twitch.tv
So Freeflow is to make your moves flashier and more epic, Reality Shift is to bust out some awesome attacks, and Dual Link is a new take on Drive Forms/Dimension Link.

Wow, they all start with D. XD
Drive, Dimension, Dual. Now I want to see an attack called the DUAL DIMENSION DRIVE!!

worldendswithme

Does anyone know if "guard" was available in the demo? It's not a pressing thing, and I'm sure it'll be in there later, but I just wanna know for sure, cause I love it, haha! I wonder if they'll assign it to Y when standing still and Free Flow will take the place of Dodge Roll or what

Zephyr

Memory of Melodies
Staff member
Awards
I think it would be really cool if you could swap during battle O___O and possibly gain the ability to fight alongside more than just two.

That would be pretty crazy and it reminds me of Paradigm Shifting but with monsters. I'm still hoping for a Dragon party member. -crosses fingers-

Mirby

Too many games too little time
Awards
Website
twitch.tv
Ya know, ever since I mentioned wanting to see something called Dual Dimension Drive, it has started to make more and more sense to me... I mean, it's also a triple-alliteration D name, and it would work considering that, for all intents and purposes, the world submerged in sleep is a parallel dimension...

Or maybe... it could be a combo of the realms of light and darkness... or something...

Also, more fuzzy companions? Yes plz. Store 'em on the touch screen? Yes plz.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back