• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

Should we do away with the S.A.T and A.C.T?

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS

What do you think?

• Yes

Votes: 7 29.2%
  • No

Votes: 17 70.8%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Angel

number one fan of teresa giudice
while i would love if they did, no.

SAT tests two important skills: logic, and the eloquence needed to express that logic.

Nyangoro

Break the Spell
Awards
I think they should be improved, but I wouldn't remove them completely. Their good analytical tools for colleges.

TheWaft

We should dump them all into a freakin black hole. SAT/ACT=WORST DAYS OF ANYONE'S LIFETIME

Zook

you can never leave KHI
Awards
As someone who was accepted to Mass Maritime without submitting my SAT scores at the time I do not think it is all that important however I still think it is needed. I do, however, feel it should be re-thinked, having me sit down for 5 hrs reading a bunch of short stories that I could care less about and answering a bunch of questions about does not necessarily spell intelligence my eyes.

Nyangoro

Break the Spell
Awards
What's wrong with the ACT? If you compare the two tests, they both provide good insight. The SAT is good for those who are "good test takers" (IE, focuses on reasoning skills), while the ACT is good for those who do very well in school (IE, focuses on what was, or should, have been learned in school).

Dogenzaka

PLATINUM USERNAME WINS
Awards
Killing is easy once you forget the taste of sugar
Not really, the SAT is more about being able to logically work things out under time pressure.
ACT is more knowledge based I believe.

Only taken the SAT, though.

Don't have a problem with any of them. Standardized tests are a part of life.

A

Azrael

As much as it has its problems, the SAT shows how well you work under time pressure and it scored me a 2023

Awards
Do these standardized tests actually represent how intellectually promising a person is?

No.

I got a 2250 on the SATs and a 34 on the ACT. Regardless, I think both are a crock of shit. Standardized testing is so faulty at measuring overall intelligence (and fails on many levels). There's no merit in scoring a numerical value on someone's intellect at a random time for random questions. They're roughly as good of an indicator of how well you'll do in college as your regular grades, no one needs the added stress of additional testing on topics that aren't even pertinent to your current education.

If I had to ditch one, it would be the ACT though, mainly because it's so similar to the SAT that it feel redundant. The only noticeable difference, the science section (which doesn't require much knowledge on science so much as it needs basic skills in graph interpretation and analysis) is idiotic.

I'd actually say that the SAT Subject tests should stay. Unlike the regular SATs, they have a specific topic that continues from high school into college years (such as physics). So the subject tests are, you know, relevant and useful, like an AP exam.

A

Azrael

No.

I got a 2250 on the SATs and a 34 on the ACT. Regardless, I think both are a crock of shit. Standardized testing is so faulty at measuring overall intelligence (and fails on many levels). There's no merit in scoring a numerical value on someone's intellect at a random time for random questions. They're roughly as good of an indicator of how well you'll do in college as your regular grades, no one needs the added stress of additional testing on topics that aren't even pertinent to your current education.

If I had to ditch one, it would be the ACT though, mainly because it's so similar to the SAT that it feel redundant. The only noticeable difference, the science section (which doesn't require much knowledge on science so much as it needs basic skills in graph interpretation and analysis) is idiotic.

I'd actually say that the SAT Subject tests should stay. Unlike the regular SATs, they have a specific topic that continues from high school into college years (such as physics). So the subject tests are, you know, relevant and useful, like an AP exam.

Because they actually specialize in said subject? Exactly like an AP test?

scubasteve

Banned
Awards
Never took the SAT, since it's more about the ACT here in the midwest, and I don't really know much about it. However, if it's anything like the ACT, then it's a load of bullshit. Colleges put too much emphasis on your scores. A 4.0 student can score like a 26 on the ACT and suddenly be screwed out of a few extra thousand dollars in scholarships. I think that if the students can at least meet the College standards and their grades are high enough, then their ACT scores shouldn't affect them too much.

I really don't think the ACT is an accurate measure of intelligence. The people who score 30+ usually do so because they take prep courses or practice like a fiend until the test.

Last edited:
Awards
Because they actually specialize in said subject? Exactly like an AP test?

Depends on what you mean by "specialize." I never took the Subject tests (since none of the colleges I applied to recommended them) so I wouldn't know the degree to which they cover their respective subjects, but I would imagine they would be more general than specific.

More colleges are starting to consider the SATs with less weight, which is a step forward in my eyes (fuck the NCLB Act).

Also, I'm surprised at the number of people that have said "No," which leads me to believe that most of you probably haven't even taken the SATs yet and assume the test is significant and infallible because of what your teachers say.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back