• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

Should Kairi be a guardian of light?

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.

Mavxo

Awards
I personally don't see her (or axel) being a Gol. I know she has a keyblade and all but there's no way she's ready to take on the battle before them. I know yen Sid plans on training her but that could be for a different reason.

We already have 7 experienced ones anyways
1) sora
2) riku
3) Mickey
4) roxas
5) xion
6)aqua
7) ven

I can see her playing a big role in another way then being a guardian.

Loxdani

It's either Kairi the Damsel in Distress or Kairi the Keyblade wielding Princess of Heart. I frankly prefer the latter. She being a Princess of Heart means that she will be a target one way or another, so I rather see her in a different role.

Last edited:

Gram

Banned
Awards
So long as she gets development and not kidnapped anymore I dont mind either way.

seishoujo

Website
seishoujo.blogspot.com
I doubt Square will still make her damsel in distress I mean, dat Keyblade-wielding hints from KH2 and 3D there's no way she's gonna be a damsel in distress anymore. In fact, I would love to see her save Sora from his dark side (you know, that Anti-form explained everything of what's happened inside Sora's heart) and... that event happened in 3D D: *gasps* *throwing knifes at Xehanort's pic*

Solo

Silver Member
Awards
Why am I getting a feeling that this topic is quite popular today?

Anyway, currently there are no known restrictions on being both a PoH and GoL. Kairi could be the guardian of a PoH, while at the same time being cared for by yet another guardian, like Sora or Riku. Certainly she isn't going to just sit back and watch from the sidelines again this time now that it's official that she will be swinging a Keyblade around.

And since Yen Sid is planning to train her, why not prepare her to be ready for what's ahead at the same time? It's killing two birds with one stone. And we can't exactly dismiss her as not being ready either; who knows, she might have a great potential in the ways of magic, just like Aqua, and it might prove useful in battle if honed properly.

All that said, Kairi's actually in a rather difficult situation right now. While we don't want her to receive the damsel-in-distress treatment again, we also don't want her to suddenly be truly overpowered and on par with Sora and Riku (it takes experience to be at the same level as them, and Kairi's certainly lacking in that department). This all stems from the fact that she had been severely shafted in the past games and the concern that there wouldn't be enough time for Kairi to develop properly in KH3.

The writers will be having a "blast" dealing with Kairi in KH3. Here's to hoping that they will be able to do it well.

Sorarocks93

Awards
I personally don't see her (or axel) being a Gol. I know she has a keyblade and all but there's no way she's ready to take on the battle before them. I know yen Sid plans on training her but that could be for a different reason.

We already have 7 experienced ones anyways
1) sora
2) riku
3) Mickey
4) roxas
5) xion
6)aqua
7) ven

I can see her playing a big role in another way then being a guardian.

No one can say that after we save Roxas and Xion that they will actually be able to weild a Keyblade. I think that's why Kairi and Axel were introduced as weilders in the last minute.

We already have 3:
-Sora
-Riku
-Mickey

We will save 2:
-Ventus
-Aqua

And we need 2 more:
-Axel
-Kairi

Solo

Silver Member
Awards
No one can say that after we save Roxas and Xion that they will actually be able to weild a Keyblade.

This needs to be accounted for, too. While it's true that Roxas and Xion were able to use the Keyblade during the event of Days, it was because of Roxas' connections with Sora and the fact that Xion's was a replica, respectively. When they are finally brought back, they may or may not be able to summon one since their heart may or may not yet be qualified by the Keyblade itself.

For this reason, I wouldn't be so quick to place Roxas and Xion as one of the GoL. Eventually, they might be qualified and become guardians, but immediately after rescue, it could be either way.

Oh, I don't mean to nitpick, but it's actually "wield". The I before E rule can help immensely when it comes to words like this, haha.

Sorarocks93

Awards
Oh, I don't mean to nitpick, but it's actually "wield". The I before E rule can help immensely when it comes to words like this, haha.

Hehe, yeah I always write that word the wrong way and the only time I use it's for KH for some reason. I used to edit it before but sometimes I just forget it.

13Rox

It would be awesome to have a girl hero like that other than Aqua, but I think Ventus should be the other guardian. Sora would just have to wake him back up and there you go, seven guardians

State

Awards
So long as she gets development and not kidnapped anymore I dont mind either way.

I concur with your mindset, Gram. Whether she's a Guardian of Light or not, I don't care as long as she gets a more active role. We could play as her for half an hour, or be a party member (it would be awesome to go around killing enemies with a team composed of Sora, Kairi and Riku.

Ruran

Flesh by mother, soul by father
Awards
First off, I'd like to point out that being a capable fighter, or being able to fight at all, doesn't equate to not being a DiD just as not being a fighter doesn't automatically make one a DiD. An issue I have with KH is that it doesn't make that distinction very often, but it at least shows that even really capable fighters can get into deep trouble sometimes which they need to be saved from. With that said, all things considering I don't expect Kairi to stop being a DiD all at once or to never get in trouble again.

At this point we're not even entirely sure what constitutes a GoL. All we know about them is that they actively fight to protect the light and function as substitutes for the PoH in making the X-Blade. Taking that into consideration I don't think it matters much in the long run. One way or another Kairi's an ingredient in X-Blade soup and being a GoL doesn't change her status much. It would make her slightly more of a target, but for Xehanort's goals, the GoL and PoH are interchangeable.

The way I look at it though is that the GoL aren't limited to seven, that's just the maximum requirement to recreate the X-Blade. Kairi, among other characters, can be considered GoL, but ultimately not fight or be used to make the X-Blade. Officially, Kairi also doesn't have a Keyblade yet, so there's that.

Antifa Lockhart

Awards
I don't really think there's anything to debate here. The secret ending with Kairi is called "Another Guardian of Light." They literally cannot spell it out any clearer. Now, just because Yen Sid intends to train Kairi as the 7th doesn't mean that's what the final line up will be when the confrontation with Xehanort comes to pass.

Also, how can you list Lea in that group and think Kairi's too inexperienced? Kairi got her Keyblade first and took out Heartless in a single hit. If Lea can been trained outside of time and space, so can Kairi.

Ruran

Awards
I don't really think there's anything to debate here. The secret ending with Kairi is called "Another Guardian of Light." They literally cannot spell it out any clearer. Now, just because Yen Sid intends to train Kairi as the 7th doesn't mean that's what the final line up will be when the confrontation with Xehanort comes to pass.

Also, how can you list Lea in that group and think Kairi's too inexperienced? Kairi got her Keyblade first and took out Heartless in a single hit. If Lea can been trained outside of time and space, so can Kairi.

To be fair, while Lea isn't experienced as a Keyblade wielder specifically he is a capable fighter nonetheless with years of experience, and all Shadow Heartless go down in a single hit in cutscenes because they're canonically the weakest. They probably will use time magic to train Kairi though to try and catch her up as quickly as possible.

Loxdani

First off, I'd like to point out that being a capable fighter, or being able to fight at all, doesn't equate to not being a DiD just as not being a fighter doesn't automatically make one a DiD. An issue I have with KH is that it doesn't make that distinction very often, but it at least shows that even really capable fighters can get into deep trouble sometimes which they need to be saved from. With that said, all things considering I don't expect Kairi to stop being a DiD all at once or to never get in trouble again.
I don't agree with this. If Sora gets in trouble he has the capability to at least try to resolve his situation. If someone comes to save him that's does not make him a damsel in distress. To the point we have seen in the sotry, when Kairi gets in trouble she can't help herself and she NEEDS the help of others. That is what makes he be a damsel in distress.

This is a post I made in the Lea being a keyblade wielder thread and it kinda explains the whole PoH and GoL deal.

"The seven lights ARE the princesses, the guardian are the to protect and if necessary fight in their behalf. That's why Xehanort's plan is sort of foolproof. To make the X-blade they need 7 light (princess or guardian) and 13 darkness to clash. So if the good guys do not come up with 7 guardians xehanort will go after the princesses. Someone said that the guardians could be more or less than 7 but by the story it has to be 7 vs 13. If there are only 6 guardians, 1 princess will fill the spot to make 7. If there is more good the extra will just sit to the side while the action happens."

If not Kairi someone else has to be a guardian and fight on behalf of the PoH. Without her there are only 6 GoL meaning that Xehanort will go after one princess to have the clash stated above. So Kairi is essentially stepping up to the plate and fulfilling both role of PoH by birth and GoL by ability.

sora x kairi

I am sure that she would be a GoL some where along the lines in Kingdom Hearts because she might be a fast Keyblade wielder at training who knows what Kairi will be in the Kingdom Hearts series

Ruran

Awards
I don't agree with this. If Sora gets in trouble he has the capability to at least try to resolve his situation. If someone comes to save him that's does not make him a damsel in distress. To the point we have seen in the sotry, when Kairi gets in trouble she can't help herself and she NEEDS the help of others. That is what makes he be a damsel in distress.

At its most basic, a Damsel in Distress is a female character placed in a helpless situation in order to move the plot forward. Even people who know how to fight get placed in helpless situations, which is actually pretty common among characters in KH who are combative. Having the capability to try and resolve the situation is made irrelevant if the character ultimately fails to or is placed in danger/captured before they can resolve the issue. Tropes are in constant flux and as such, yes, Sora has had moments in which he can be called a "DiD" because he's put in danger for the purpose of either advancing the plot, moving the other characters into action, or both.

skyfoxx

Silver Member
Awards
Whether or not she should be a Guardian of Light or not is kind of irrelevant because the name of KH3D's secret ending alone pretty much confirms she's going to be one.

My opinion? I honestly think Yen Sid is being stupid for even considering letting Kairi being a Guardian of Light just for the fact that she's already a Princess of Heart. Xehanort is already trying to track down the seven princesses, so why does Yen Sid think it's a good idea to let one of those said princesses take part in their battle against Xehanort? It just seems really forced and that it was only made just so the random "Kairi has a Keyblade" scene in KH2 wasn't completely pointless.

Javelin434

Awards
*Kairi post detected on radar...* xD
I doubt Square will still make her damsel in distress I mean, dat Keyblade-wielding hints from KH2 and 3D there's no way she's gonna be a damsel in distress anymore. In fact, I would love to see her save Sora from his dark side (you know, that Anti-form explained everything of what's happened inside Sora's heart) and... that event happened in 3D D: *gasps* *throwing knifes at Xehanort's pic*
That's a pretty interesting thought. I wouldn't mind seeing that happening *Joins in on throwing knives*

Why am I getting a feeling that this topic is quite popular today?
Let me know when you find the answer.

I don't really think there's anything to debate here. The secret ending with Kairi is called "Another Guardian of Light." They literally cannot spell it out any clearer.
This.

shaneycat2012

Banned
I think she should because remember in KH2 she got a keyblade , right ? and at the secret ending in KHDDD she was sent to master Yen Sid by Riku so obviously they sent her there , In my view of it , to porbably train as one of the 7 lights . So the list i thought that were going to be the 7 lights is the following : ( Also i wasn't going to add Terra into the list because he is fully sided with the darkness now , isn't he ? im not sure , anyway , i didn't add him :/ )
1 .Sora
2. Mickey
3. Riku
4. Lea
5. Kairi
6. Aqua
7. Ventus

Last edited:

kupo1121

We are Moogle! Hear us...kupo?
Awards

While we know it's been confirmed that she will be a GoL, I think this thread is more towards if we all think she should be, regardless of whether or not it is already going to happen.

My opinion? I honestly think Yen Sid is being stupid for even considering letting Kairi being a Guardian of Light just for the fact that she's already a Princess of Heart. Xehanort is already trying to track down the seven princesses, so why does Yen Sid think it's a good idea to let one of those said princesses take part in their battle against Xehanort? It just seems really forced and that it was only made just so the random "Kairi has a Keyblade" scene in KH2 wasn't completely pointless.

While I agree it isn't too smart for him to have her be a GoL, it isn't that stupid for her to learn how to use a keyblade. Being a PoH + keyblade wielder, she will no doubt have inherent special powers compared to others and even more importantly, if MX goes after the 7 PoH, she will at least be able to protect herself compared to the other 6 DiD. Perhaps Yensid saw it as a necessary evil that if he trained her, she would no doubt become a GoL (aiding MX's plan to an extent), but at the same time, she could protect herself is something went awry.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back