• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

Riku's Way to Dawn Question?

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.

Antifa Lockhart

Awards
That's the thing though roxas was using Oathkeeper while Sora still had the lucky charm and if you have oathkeeper equipped in scenes the charm still appears.

Perhaps their formed from such objects rather than being the actual objects? Or more simple, the oathkeeper is just an exception somehow.

interestingly enough, the way finder on Roxas's oathkeeper isn't the same as Sora's.

Silent hero_

Awards
---If we directly translate "Way to the Dawn", "dawn" means "in-between night and daytime", so does that mean that Keyblade is from the In-between World? In other words, this means the Keyblades that Sora, King Mickey and Riku wield represent the Worlds of Light, Dark and In-between?

Nomura:
Well, if I have to say where they belong, it's just as you said. But the name of "Way to Dawn" doesn't have to mean that. This name came from the scene at the end of Riku's story in KH:COM that suggested which path he would walk on, where he said "The road to dawn.

A key-shaped weapon forged by man during the age of fairy tales. Any other origins have yet to be revealed.

All Keyblades have one of three natures: light, darkness, or heart. The last two are exceptional; most documented Keyblades, including Sora's and Riku's, are Keyblades of light.

The heart must be proven before a Keyblade will appear in its master's hand. No lock can withstand a Keyblade, nor can any non-agent of light.

Special keychains allow the Keyblade's appearance and performance to be altered.

Sooo, how does this add up, did he (Nomura) change his mind or what?

Sephiroth0812

Guardian of Light
Awards

Sooo, how does this add up, did he (Nomura) change his mind or what?

Nope, in the first snippet, Nomura talks about what these three Keyblade's represent, as in that they are representations of the realms of Light, In-between and Darkness.
This is also where the fan-interpretations for the scene in Sunset Horizons comes from when TAV pick up those Keyblades:
Aqua picks up Mickey's Kingdom Key D, and in the end she ends up in the Realm of Darkness.
Terra picks up Sora's Kingdom Key, and in the end ends up memoryless (as Xehanort) in Radiant Garden, a world in the Realm of Light.
Ventus picks up Riku's Way to the Dawn, and in the end he is left comatose in Castle Oblivion, a world belonging into the Realm of In-Between.

The second snippet, which is an official glossary entry, speaks about the type of the Keyblade itself, not what they represent from a design- and/or name- point of view.
In fact, except the Kingdom Key D, the X-blade and the Keyblade of People's hearts, ALL Keyblades so far are Keyblades of Light.

Solo

Silver Member
Awards
interestingly enough, the way finder on Roxas's oathkeeper isn't the same as Sora's.

Really? Interesting, I didn't know this. What does the keychain on Roxas' Oathkeeper look like, or is there any images depicting it?

Antifa Lockhart

Awards
Here comes the fun part.

In the first game, Oathkeeper's keychain is Kairi's wayfinder which is pink on one side and solid yellow on the other:
http://www.kh2.co.uk/assets/kh/artwork/179.jpg
http://images.wikia.com/kingdomhearts/images/archive/a/a1/20090308075517!Oathkeeper_KH.png
And in KH2 Roxas's oathkeeper has a wayfinder which is blue on one side:
http://images.wikia.com/kingdomhearts/images/archive/a/a1/20110108185015!Oathkeeper_KH.png

Since then, the Oathkeeper's Keychain has been inconsistent from game-to-game and wielder-to-wielder

Gram

Banned
Awards
Here comes the fun part.

In the first game, Oathkeeper's keychain is Kairi's wayfinder which is pink on one side and solid yellow on the other:
http://www.kh2.co.uk/assets/kh/artwork/179.jpg
http://images.wikia.com/kingdomhearts/images/archive/a/a1/20090308075517!Oathkeeper_KH.png
And in KH2 Roxas's oathkeeper has a wayfinder which is blue on one side:
http://images.wikia.com/kingdomhearts/images/archive/a/a1/20110108185015!Oathkeeper_KH.png

Since then, the Oathkeeper's Keychain has been inconsistent from game-to-game and wielder-to-wielder

If anything that kinda furthers the belief it's not the actual charm on it.

Solo

Silver Member
Awards
If anything that kinda furthers the belief it's not the actual charm on it.

Do you think it has anything to do with why Roxas' Keyblades (which are Sora's and Ventus') transformed into Oathkeeper and Oblivion?

To be honest, I'm still at loss at why the transformation took place. If the Keyblades had been Kingdom Key and Wayward Wind, it would've been easier to understand.

Last edited:

Antifa Lockhart

Awards
Aesthetically it seems to be a message of Roxas representing the essence of Sora divided. Roxas's image is all about twilight, and his two Keyblades transformed to show what was relevant to Sora-his light and darkness. The battle that was taking place was for ownership of those missing pieces of Sora.

Ruran

Flesh by mother, soul by father
Awards
Do you think it has anything to do with why Roxas' Keyblades (which are Sora's and Ventus') transformed into Oathkeeper and Oblivion?

To be honest, I'm still at loss at why the transformation took place. If the Keyblades had been Kingdom Key and Wayward Wind, it would've been easier to understand.

I always just assumed that Oathkeeper and Oblivion each represented Kairi and Riku, respectively. Keychains are based on memories/connections and the strongest memories/connection Sora has are with Kairi and Riku, so when Roxas gained the Synch Blade ability the Keyblades reflected that.

Also, Ven probably wasn't thought of thoroughly at that point.

And aesthetically, Oathkeeper and Oblivion look cooler together than Kingdom Key and Wayward Wind. Aesthetically, Oathkeeper and Oblivion look cooler period, lol.

Solo

Silver Member
Awards
Aesthetically it seems to be a message of Roxas representing the essence of Sora divided. Roxas's image is all about twilight, and his two Keyblades transformed to show what was relevant to Sora-his light and darkness. The battle that was taking place was for ownership of those missing pieces of Sora.
I always just assumed that Oathkeeper and Oblivion each represented Kairi and Riku, respectively. Keychains are based on memories/connections and the strongest memories/connection Sora has are with Kairi and Riku, so when Roxas gained the Synch Blade ability the Keyblades reflected that.

Going by this assumption, that means memories or connections (which might be brought about by some emotionally powerful events) are just as capable of altering the Keyblade's appearance as the keychains themselves. Would I be correct in saying so?

Ruran

Flesh by mother, soul by father
Awards
Going by this assumption, that means memories or connections (which might be brought about by some emotionally powerful events) are just as capable of altering the Keyblade's appearance as the keychains themselves. Would I be correct in saying so?

To my memory, I don't think it's ever been presented in that way. Since the purpose of Keychains is to alter Keyblades, memories and connections changing the Keyblade directly would make them kind of redundant. XD

Gram

Banned
Awards

It maybe possible but it's most likely just a design change on nomura's part to the oathkeeper keychain.

Well think of it like this, at the time days came out and Roxas first whipped out two keyblades they initially both had a kingdom key appearance however BBS hadn't been released yet so the vantus<>Sora connection hadn't been confirmed (even if it was already theorized years in advance and eventually proven true) so this may have been nomuras way of limiting spoilers.

Also it's very likely they changed solely because Roxas had them in the secret ending of kh1 and again in kh2 so he decided to be consistent. xD

It's never been explicitly stated and as Ruran pointed out, from that angle, it would make the keychains redundant. xD

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back