• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

Religion and KH similarites?

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.

Morning Twilight

Has anyone else noticed the amazing amount of similarities between religions and Kingdom Hearts?

There's the Keyblade which could be interpreted as the Sword of the Spirit in Christianity.
Then there's light v.s. darkness and fighting demons which is in all religions.
There's also the idea of a spiritual realm (hearts, kingdom hearts, ect.).

There are many more smaller similarities in Christianity that i know of, i was just wondering if anyone else had noticed.

I'd rather think not. That'd destroy the game for me, please keep religion away from Kingdom Hearts.

Felix Chu

England..land of a thousand..somethings..
So does every fantasy film? Star Wars can be interpreted as a fight between Light and Darkness. LOTR, anything. Doesn't mean they're always going to have associations wit Christianity. Light vs. Dark has always been a theme for most stories. Heck, there's even one about villains stopping the world from being destroyed by light.

But I thought that the only spiritual realm was Heaven? And that there was no other?

Morning Twilight said:
Heaven & The Kingdom Hearts? They're completely different realms. I don't know how you could possibly compare the two.

Morning Twilight

So does every fantasy film? Star Wars can be interpreted as a fight between Light and Darkness. LOTR, anything. Doesn't mean they're always going to have associations wit Christianity. Light vs. Dark has always been a theme for most stories. Heck, there's even one about villains stopping the world from being destroyed by light.

lol, ya. I meant more like heartless as like demons and stuff and sin being analogous to darkness in people's hearts.

But I thought that the only spiritual realm was Heaven? And that there was no other?

In the Bible it does describe 2 realms. A spiritual where the Kingdom of Heaven resides. And a physical. The actions and intertwining of hearts is actions in the spiritual realm. Also it could be seen that the whole thing is fighting in the spiritual realm since heartless are seen and very real. In the Bible the whole fight between God and Satan is for people's hearts. Like the fight between Sora and the heartless. Sora fights for light in people's hearts and the heartless fight for darkness. There's also the idea of the weight of friendship in the game and in Christianity.

Duality

Everything has the light versus dark theme. EVERYTHING. A countless number of stories have spiritual realms. Keyblade is the Sword of Spirit? Seriously, you could compare it to everything - Cloud's Fenrir, Link's sword, etc... It's just a weapon.

Until Sora dies on a cross for our sins, I'm just considering these things as common storyline material.

Square Ninja

"special recipe"
Website
www.classicgaming.com
Uhh...hello? This is simply the classical story, the struggle between good and evil. This same narrative is found in almost everything since man could tell a story. You could pretty much compare 98% of all mankind's stories so "closely" to KH if you so wished with this logic.

Tobuoi

Who's that girl?
Website
www.tobuoi.deviantart.com
Yeah, what SN said. The Bible is a good story. Kingdom Hearts, Final Fantasy, His Dark Materials, and several other things are good stories, as well. But they're nothing more than that to me.

Cambodia, harvesting all the orphans I can.
Candy land even has light v.s dark. Carebears have light v.s dark. I'm sorry, but that's dumb to even think about Christianity and Kh having anyting similar. Square Ninja is right, if you are saying there alike because of light and dark, then our whole existance can be linked to Kh....

var1ables

Play hard, go pro.
Awards
There's the Keyblade which could be interpreted as the Sword of the Spirit in Christianity.
What of "turn the other cheek."
Actually, if you understood the ending of KH2 and CoM; that darkness isn't evil. It's corrupting, sure, but it isn't evil. If anything, for those who can survive it, it proved that it is the greater good.
You equate the realm of everlasting darkness, where all hearts are created, to heaven. Damn, i don't want to go to heaven now.

Morning Twilight

What of "turn the other cheek."

You do that to fight by way of heart. People normally don't like beating others who don't try to fight back, especially if that person does not deserve it. That is the purpose for turning the other cheek. It is to fight the darkness in that person's heart which is causing them to hit u in the first place. Although I do beleive the actual verse is closer to: when someone hits u on one cheek offer him the other. So it's not quite turning the other cheek but close enough.

Actually, if you understood the ending of KH2 and CoM; that darkness isn't evil. It's corrupting, sure, but it isn't evil. If anything, for those who can survive it, it proved that it is the greater good.

And the bible never says darkness is evil. God hates evil, so he would have destroyed darkness long ago if it was. The reason darkness is corrupting is because evil can trive in darkness, but darkness itself is not evil. And for those who can survive it? Do you mean Riku, well he hated his dark self so that doesn't exactly prove to greater good. And he also ended going back to light, and if darkness was greater good then why didn't they all just fade into darkness?

You equate the realm of everlasting darkness, where all hearts are created, to heaven. Damn, i don't want to go to heaven now.

I meant something just a bit different. I meant where heartless and interactions of hearts are, in that realm. While in the game the physical realm and spiritual seem more connected and real, simply because you can see the darkness made real (i.e. heartless) and some light. Also remember, Kingdom Hearts is light, not darkness. The darkness just surrounded the light. In the deepest darkness there is the strongest light, which also seems to be true with Christianity.

The reason I felt so strong about the Keyblade being analogous to the Sword of the Spirit is because they both require strong hearts. They both fight by way of heart, the keyblade can open people's hearts. It is also the weapon that all seek after. It also gives the weilder more power. The main parts of the similarities are the strong heart requirment and the interactions of hearts between both. These two make it a bit different from other stories in that similarity.

Square Ninja said:
Uhh...hello? This is simply the classical story, the struggle between good and evil. This same narrative is found in almost everything since man could tell a story. You could pretty much compare 98% of all mankind's stories so "closely" to KH if you so wished with this logic.
Right you are sir. The fact that the earliest of the writers were writing tales of good vs. evil, light vs. dark. The Kingdom Hearts relation that you speak of doesn't merely represent a religion that I know of.

Demonic Angel said:
I sign this, because it's true.
Thank you Demonic Angel.

var1ables

Play hard, go pro.
Awards
The idea of a "sword of christianity" it against the very thing christ stood for. He's not supposed to be a sword, or a shield. He's supposed to be the greatest connector ever,but he's true message never reach the ears of his followers.
Also remember, Kingdom Hearts is light, not darkness.
The island at the end of KH2, is a area of kingdom hearts. It's not only an area, but one on the edge of it. Think of the rest of Kingdom hearts.... it just gets darker.
And he also ended going back to light, and if darkness was greater good then why didn't they all just fade into darkness?
Sora chose to be darkness at the end of KH2. Mickey has always been darkness. Riku didn't go back to the light, he just didn't fall back to *that* darkness, he merely took the best of both without excepting either.

Phoenix

Legendary Member
Awards
Oh oh, similarities? Like using the darkness for a noble goal? Or how light and darkness don't really matter in the end (whether you pick God or the Devil is irrelevant, what matters is how you use their power)?

From my experience (granted, I don't have that much), when Japan wants to put Judeo-christian elements in a game, they go all out (ie. fighting, defying and beating God and the Devil). Aside from that, they don't really care for Christianity.

tetraalmasy

I'm back!
religion in games isn't uncommon like in FFX THAT was a big religious game with out being religious.
it serves as a basis for a lot of themes. so it's not uncommon.

but i think religion shows a lot of good and evil, right and wrong sort of thing making it seem religious when the creators didn't mean too.

---------------------------
but then again...I don't know too much about religion. my parents aren't very religious. they say pretty much what sounds good. so we're like Shinto, buddhist, hindu, christian. my sister on the other hand is a hard core christian. my parents let us pick our own religion...but I'm too stupid to understand it so I really am just a follower....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back